What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Real Life QB Grades (1 Viewer)

aquafish82

Footballguy
Any of my real life QB grades you think are way off (not fantasy rankings)

Elite

1. Mahomes (tier by self?)

2. Allen

3. Burrow

4. Jackson

Good

5. Rodgers (↓↓↓)? (still got it?)

6. Hurts

7. Prescott

8. Stroud

9. Tua (↓↓↓)?

10. Herbert

11. Purdy

Mid-Tier

12. Stafford

13. Cousins

14. Love (↑↑↑)?

15. Watson (↓↓↓)? (head case?)

16. Goff (↑↑↑)?

17. Lawrence

18. Murray

Serviceable

19. Mayfield

20. Carr

21. Wilson

22. Smith

(Too Young, no order)

23-31 : McCarthy/Maye/Levis/Daniels/Young???/Williams/Richardson/O'Connel/Nix

Bad

32. Jones

* these are not just based on last year....it is a combination of career past performance and future projection for assumed 2024 starters only

Last edited:
My first thought was you have QB's 19 thru 22 as average or above average. With 32 teams, the 4 average QB's would be 15 thru 18. I'm not saying your tiers are wrong, but you may want to rename the average/above average tier to something else.

I think Love proved at the end of last year that he belongs in the Good category.
Rogers must prove that he still belongs in the Good category.
Lawrence was expected to be good by now. Was it the injuries last year that kept him down ?

You gave Stroud a rating of QB8 and he was a rookie who played 15 games, but you kinda declined to give Young a rating. Let's just say it - his rookie season sucked! He was one of only 15 QB's to play at least 16 games, and of those 15, he was the only one under 60% pass completions. He was also the only one under 3K yards, and his 11 passing TD's were fewer than a geriatric guy that was sitting on his couch until week 13. If Stroud deserves a rating, so does Young. I put him at QB31.

Mahomes is a tier by himself even though his production wasn’t elite last season. Undisputed 3x champ.

Watson s/b the bottom of the Serviceable category. Even that might be generous.

Wonder what Goff would have to do to convince people he’s good? I’ll try (in vain.) Was good or great in 16 out of 20 games, including his last 4 + all 3 playoff games. At Ravens, both Bears games & Thanksgiving v the Pack he was subpar - all games that either C Frank Ragnow or LG Jonah Jackson were out with injury. They were 3-5 when missing an OL starter, 11-1 when they were healthy (19-20 at the Cowgirls was the lone blemish.) The only active QBs with more playoff wins are Patrick and Aaron; H2H in the regular season, he’s 6-1 v those 2.

Rodgers goes to the bottom of the good category IMO, Achilles is not a routine injury - and availability is still the most important ability. We hope Aaron & Kirk play like the guys we’ve known them to be, anyone who loves the NFL should want that - but it is the age 41 and age 36 seasons for them.

Similar vein, Burrow is still not cleared and has said it’s been a rough couple of months. I would swap Joe and Jalen.

I would swap tiers for Tua and Stafford. If Love isn’t “good” then he’s at the top of the mid group.

Overall - these are minor quibbles, very solid effort which seems generally correct.

For this year- "have to win a game" who I'd want running the offense for my team- based on what (think) we know today:

Mahomes
_______
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Stroud
______
Dak
Hurts
Lamar
Caleb Williams
_____
Lawrence
Love
Stafford
Murray
Rodgers
Goff
Purdy
_____
Healthy Cousins (?)
Tua
Geno
Baker
Richardson
Fields
Carr
Flacco
_____
JJ McCarthy
Russ
Daniels
Brissett
Penix
Levis
Maye
Nix
_____
Howell
Minshew
Watson
Jones
AOC
Pickett

Tua too high. I feel like Love, Cousins and Goff are all better than him. I guess it pays to have elite WR's. Purdy should be in the same tier as Love & Goff whatever it is. Very similar stats as Love with more polished weapons. Once Love and the young WR started clicking they were a top 5 passing offense. I get he needs to prove it longer than half a season but I'll take Love's talent/upside over all of the mid tier and most of the good tier (like Stroud and Herbert better).

Elite
1. Mahomes
2. Allen
3. Jackson

Well Above Average
4. Rodgers
5. Goff
6. Burrow
7. Herbert

Above Average
8. Cousins
9. Prescott
10. Hurts
11. Stroud
12. Stafford
13. Purdy
14. Tua
15. Love

Average
16. Lawrence
17. Mayfield
18. Carr
19. Brissett
20. Fields

Below Average
21. Wilson
22. Murray

Absolute Trash
23. Geno
24. Watson
25. Jones
26. B Young

TBD
Caleb
Daniels
Maye
McCarthy
Richardson
Nix
Penix

I think Love proved at the end of last year that he belongs in the Good category.
Lawrence was expected to be good by now. Was it the injuries last year that kept him down ?
Love has only done it for less than 1 year. He must do it longer than that. You could say the same for Stroud, but he did it for FULL year and he did not have luxury of sitting for a few years behind elite QB like Love did.

Mahomes is in a tier by himself

Hurts, Stafford, and Goff should each be moved up a tier
Stafford is on the decline. Prime Stafford sure he belongs in Good (maybe Elite), but he has nowhere to go but down. Goff has the benefit of playing for great team/coach and has not consistently won outdoors or in bad weather.

Mahomes is a tier by himself even though his production wasn’t elite last season. Undisputed 3x champ.

Watson s/b the bottom of the Serviceable category. Even that might be generous.

Wonder what Goff would have to do to convince people he’s good? I’ll try (in vain.) Was good or great in 16 out of 20 games, including his last 4 + all 3 playoff games. At Ravens, both Bears games & Thanksgiving v the Pack he was subpar - all games that either C Frank Ragnow or LG Jonah Jackson were out with injury. They were 3-5 when missing an OL starter, 11-1 when they were healthy (19-20 at the Cowgirls was the lone blemish.) The only active QBs with more playoff wins are Patrick and Aaron; H2H in the regular season, he’s 6-1 v those 2.

Rodgers goes to the bottom of the good category IMO, Achilles is not a routine injury - and availability is still the most important ability. We hope Aaron & Kirk play like the guys we’ve known them to be, anyone who loves the NFL should want that - but it is the age 41 and age 36 seasons for them.

Similar vein, Burrow is still not cleared and has said it’s been a rough couple of months. I would swap Joe and Jalen.

I would swap tiers for Tua and Stafford. If Love isn’t “good” then he’s at the top of the mid group.

Overall - these are minor quibbles, very solid effort which seems generally correct.
Watson is currently an enigma in my book. This is the last year he gets to prove he is old self or has the suspension debacle ruined him mentally. His prime he belongs in good category and maybe elite but I agree he is serviceable at best so far in Cleveland so I just kind of put him in the middle pending this year.

When you speak of Goff you have to realize those are team wins with good O-Line, RBs and WRs, TEs. He needs to prove he can consistently win and have good stats outdoors and in bad weather. Football is team game. Goff seems he more just along for the ride and is good enough to not mess it up rather than good on his own. Mid-tier is still a solid rating. You have to be special on your own and carry a team to be any higher. You seem like bias Lions fan.

I agree Rodgers needs to prove he can overcome age and injury but you have to give him the chance. This is the 4X league MVP you are talking about. That is individual success who can carry a team. I think everybody would agree in his prime he was elite. I moved him down 1 tier. If I move him down any farther it will come only after he falters this year

Age and Injury might affect Burrow and Kirk too, but you have to actually see it on the field for at least 1 whole season. The last we saw them it has not happened, thus they are ranked accordingly in my view.

Tua led the entire NFL in passing yards last year and had some monster games and he has done it for at least 1 and 1/2 seasons. Love has done it for less than 1. Thus I put Tua above Love. If Tua is lower than 9 it ain't by much. He has injury history a few years ago and he threw a few too many picks in key moments. Maybe I put him 10-12 at worst but I'm not putting him 15-20 like some have

For this year- "have to win a game" who I'd want running the offense for my team- based on what (think) we know today:

Mahomes
_______
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Stroud
______
Dak
Hurts
Lamar
Caleb Williams
_____
Lawrence
Love
Stafford
Murray
Rodgers
Goff
Purdy
_____
Healthy Cousins (?)
Tua
Geno
Baker
Richardson
Fields
Carr
Flacco
_____
JJ McCarthy
Russ
Daniels
Brissett
Penix
Levis
Maye
Nix
_____
Howell
Minshew
Watson
Jones
AOC
Pickett

How can you put Caleb Williams who hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL above guys like Aaron Rodgers or Brock Purdy?

You are essentially putting Tua last among all NFL starters with at least 1 year of NFL experience with exceptions of Carr/Mayfield/ Smith (mediocre trio) Wilson (washed), Watson (head case), Jones (just plain bad). Tua was #1 in the NFL in passing yards last year

Murray is athletic, not a good NFL QB and has had enough starts to prove otherwise. Not bad, but above average at best. He doesn't belong between Stafford and Rodgers in my view. Murray may be more valuable in fantasy but not real life

You gave Stroud a rating of QB8 and he was a rookie who played 15 games, but you kinda declined to give Young a rating. Let's just say it - his rookie season sucked! He was one of only 15 QB's to play at least 16 games, and of those 15, he was the only one under 60% pass completions. He was also the only one under 3K yards, and his 11 passing TD's were fewer than a geriatric guy that was sitting on his couch until week 13. If Stroud deserves a rating, so does Young. I put him at QB31.
Young played on a bad team with a coach who was fired mid-season with tons of pressure. He has only played 1 year. I say you must give him at least 1 more year before you can make a fair assessment. The reason why I gave Stroud a good rating is because he did it all his rookie season (albeit with a much better team) so he is only going to get better. I guess in a guy's first year I say give them credit for a good season but don't knock them for a bad season. After 2 seasons then the knocking can begin. Nonetheless I see your quibble and at the very least I could be talked into dropping Stroud, but will not put Young in the bad category when there is a "no rating" category available to put him in.

Elite
1. Mahomes
2. Allen
3. Jackson

Well Above Average
4. Rodgers
5. Goff
6. Burrow
7. Herbert

Above Average
8. Cousins
9. Prescott
10. Hurts
11. Stroud
12. Stafford
13. Purdy
14. Tua
15. Love

Average
16. Lawrence
17. Mayfield
18. Carr
19. Brissett
20. Fields

Below Average
21. Wilson
22. Murray

Absolute Trash
23. Geno
24. Watson
25. Jones
26. B Young

TBD
Caleb
Daniels
Maye
McCarthy
Richardson
Nix
Penix
Too high: Goff (indoor/fair weather QB on good team),
Too Low: Young (needs at least 2 season before dumping on), Watson (past success and still young), Geno (average but not trash), Murray (at least average with his athleticism)

Mahomes
_______
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Stroud
______
Dak
Hurts
Lamar
Caleb Williams
_____
Lawrence
Love
Stafford
Murray
Rodgers
Goff
Purdy
_____
Healthy Cousins (?)
Tua
Geno
Baker
Richardson
Fields
Carr
Flacco
_____
JJ McCarthy
Russ
Daniels
Brissett
Penix
Levis
Maye
Nix
_____
Howell
Minshew
Watson
Jones
AOC
Pickett

How can you put Caleb Williams who hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL above guys like Aaron Rodgers or Brock Purdy?

You are essentially putting Tua last among all NFL starters with at least 1 year of NFL experience with exceptions of Carr/Mayfield/ Smith (mediocre trio) Wilson (washed), Watson (head case), Jones (just plain bad). Tua was #1 in the NFL in passing yards last year

Murray is athletic, not a good NFL QB and has had enough starts to prove otherwise. Not bad, but above average at best. He doesn't belong between Stafford and Rodgers in my view. Murray may be more valuable in fantasy but not real life
I believe in two years Caleb will be a tier up. Tua’s great at distributing but I think you have to be able to create outside of structure to be in the upper tiers.

Agree with the Murray critique but I feel like peak Murray can carry a team. Not consistently but I feel like I’ve seen it.

Love has only done it for less than 1 year. He must do it longer than that. You could say the same for Stroud, but he did it for FULL year and he did not have luxury of sitting for a few years behind elite QB like Love did.
Part of that is Love having the most inexperienced receiver core maybe ever. WR1 and WR2 were 2 year guys everyone else were rookies including TE1 and TE2. Of course the passing offense isn’t going to look good early on. If anything this shows how good Love really is. Once the offense started clicking he was as good as any QB in the league

My thoughts:

1. Mahomes is in his own tier.
2. Dak and Cousins are essentially dead equal/the same so they should be in the same tier.
3. I initially thought you had both Stroud and Purdy each respectively in a tier too high, but then I went back and looked at their advanced stats from last season and they were really, really good. So, I'm torn on this thought as I think they both strongly benefit from their respective systems and good offensive personnel.
4. I actually agree that we shouldn't give a grade to Bryce Young yet.
5. I think Sam Howell, Justin Fields, Sam Darnold, and Minshew should be ranked somewhere.

Here are a few that I saw elsewhere: one, two, three, four.

My attempt:

GOAT Candidate: Mahomes

Elite: Allen

Franchise: Jackson, Burrow, Prescott, Herbert

Good to Great: Stroud, Stafford, Lawrence

Pretty Good: Hurts, Love, Rodgers, Murray, Cousins

Okay: Tua, Purdy, Richardson, Goff

Marginal Starters: Geno, Mayfield, Watson

Placeholders: Wilson, Carr

Tanking: Jones, Levis, Young

With more uncertainty for some of these guys like Rodgers, Richardson, Watson, and Young.

Elite
1. Mahomes
2. Allen
3. Jackson

Well Above Average
4. Rodgers
5. Goff
6. Burrow
7. Herbert

Above Average
8. Cousins
9. Prescott
10. Hurts
11. Stroud
12. Stafford
13. Purdy
14. Tua
15. Love

Average
16. Lawrence
17. Mayfield
18. Carr
19. Brissett
20. Fields

Below Average
21. Wilson
22. Murray

Absolute Trash
23. Geno
24. Watson
25. Jones
26. B Young

TBD
Caleb
Daniels
Maye
McCarthy
Richardson
Nix
Penix

rodgers and herbert way too high. one hasnt done anything in 3 years, the other hasnt done anything in his life

Elite
1. Mahomes
2. Allen
3. Jackson

Well Above Average
4. Rodgers
5. Goff
6. Burrow
7. Herbert

Above Average
8. Cousins
9. Prescott
10. Hurts
11. Stroud
12. Stafford
13. Purdy
14. Tua
15. Love

Average
16. Lawrence
17. Mayfield
18. Carr
19. Brissett
20. Fields

Below Average
21. Wilson
22. Murray

Absolute Trash
23. Geno
24. Watson
25. Jones
26. B Young

TBD
Caleb
Daniels
Maye
McCarthy
Richardson
Nix
Penix
Too high: Goff (indoor/fair weather QB on good team),
Too Low: Young (needs at least 2 season before dumping on), Watson (past success and still young), Geno (average but not trash), Murray (at least average with his athleticism)

Nah. I'll stick with what I have. Goff is really really good. He has a career 94% QB rating and was over 100% several times in LA where he went to a Super Bowl. I think he makes his OCs look good. Not the other way around.

Young is trash. And i've said that ever since the Stroud/Young debate where I was 100% in on Stroud. What is Young, like 5'10" 170 lbs and slow? Watson is done. You go out of the league for 2 years of not playing, it's almost impossible to get it back. Murray would rather be on the baseball field. He's never done anything. And Geno is a washed up QB that had one good season and got paid. They are all trash.

Here are a few that I saw elsewhere: one, two, three, four.

My attempt:

GOAT Candidate: Mahomes

Elite: Allen

Franchise: Jackson, Burrow, Prescott, Herbert

Good to Great: Stroud, Stafford, Lawrence

Pretty Good: Hurts, Love, Rodgers, Murray, Cousins

Okay: Tua, Purdy, Richardson, Goff

Marginal Starters: Geno, Mayfield, Watson

Placeholders: Wilson, Carr

Tanking: Jones, Levis, Young

With more uncertainty for some of these guys like Rodgers, Richardson, Watson, and Young.
Prescott?

Meh…..give a signature post season run in his career….he has been around long enough.

Crickets.

Franchise?

You know the more and more I think about it….QB is amazingly an overpaid position and the owners are to blame.

Period. They caved instead of paying the truly elite only.

Mahomes
_______
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Stroud
______
Dak
Hurts
Lamar
Caleb Williams
_____
Lawrence
Love
Stafford
Murray
Rodgers
Goff
Purdy
_____
Healthy Cousins (?)
Tua
Geno
Baker
Richardson
Fields
Carr
Flacco
_____
JJ McCarthy
Russ
Daniels
Brissett
Penix
Levis
Maye
Nix
_____
Howell
Minshew
Watson
Jones
AOC
Pickett
DAK - as long as it is not a playoff game

I made some notations next to my original post up top of the ones I got the most push back from. ↓↓↓ means a lot of people feel I should put lower and ↑↑↑ means a lot of people feel I should be higher

Elite

Yes, he is already in that Brady, Montana tier,
2. Allen

3. Burrow

4. Jackson
Sure, these guys have MVP track records but Burrow worries me. I would put Hurts here. Not sure exactly what these guys have done that Jalen hasn't.
Good

6. Hurts

7. Prescott

8. Stroud

9. Tua (↓↓↓)?

10. Herbert

11. Purdy
Does Rodgers still have it? The risk is hiiiigh. Also, I can't see why Purdy is in a tier different from Goff. Explain that.
Mid-Tier

12. Stafford

13. Cousins

14. Love (↑↑↑)?

15. Watson (↓↓↓)? (head case?)

16. Goff (↑↑↑)?

17. Lawrence

18. Murray

Serviceable

19. Mayfield

20. Carr

21. Wilson

22. Smith

(Too Young, no order)

23-31 : McCarthy/Maye/Levis/Daniels/Young???/Williams/Richardson/O'Connel/Nix

Bad

32. Jones

* these are not just based on last year....it is a combination of career past performance and future projection for assumed 2024 starters only

Elite

Yes, he is already in that Brady, Montana tier,
2. Allen

3. Burrow

4. Jackson
Sure, these guys have MVP track records but Burrow worries me. I would put Hurts here. Not sure exactly what these guys have done that Jalen hasn't.
Good

6. Hurts

7. Prescott

8. Stroud

9. Tua (↓↓↓)?

10. Herbert

11. Purdy
Does Rodgers still have it? The risk is hiiiigh. Also, I can't see why Purdy is in a tier different from Goff, Stafford?

Users who are viewing this thread