What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (6 Viewers)

As a heads up...

Barnes & Noble is running their 50% off Criterion sale again.

Finally pulled the trigger on Notorious and Wages of Fear. May go back for Brief Encounter.

And Warner is having a 4/$44 deal on archive titles - https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-4-for-44
Dammit, you sucked me in.  Just purchased: Blue Velvet, Days of Heaven, Seven Samurai, and Silence of the Lambs.  

I always have a battle of what titles "should" be in my collection vs what I might watch more.   Almost did Tree of Life, Ghost World, Some Like it Hot, The Graduate, and a handful of others.  

Watching Moonwalkers tonight. Seems appropriate.

ETA: Funny film about the botched filming of fake moon landing with Hellboy and Ron Weasley. 3.5/5

Last edited by a moderator:
Dammit, you sucked me in.  Just purchased: Blue Velvet, Days of Heaven, Seven Samurai, and Silence of the Lambs.  

I always have a battle of what titles "should" be in my collection vs what I might watch more.   Almost did Tree of Life, Ghost World, Some Like it Hot, The Graduate, and a handful of others.  
Nice haul and nice almost haul

Nice haul and nice almost haul
Each from a different decade! (not planned).   Silence of the Lambs was the last one I was battling over since I do have it at home, but it's a favorite and there seemed to be some interesting bonus features.  

I don't have a lot of them since I don't buy a ton of blurays anymore, but it's fun to shop during the 1/2 price sale.  There are just too many to choose from.  

A Quiet Place was really good. Mad at myself for not seeing it in theater.

Mortal Engines was awful. In just about every way.

Watched First Man last night. I am kicking myself for not seeing it in the theater. Fantastic movie- I can't believe they released it in October and not this summer to coincide with the 50th anniversary. Its a great film and continues my on-going respect for director Damien Chazelle who at 34 has completed 3 very different but top shelf movies in First Man, La La Land and Whiplash. 

One of my favorites. A totally underrated gem. I just looked up that movie the other day and read Ebert's review of it. Always prescient, always with a fine eye was Ebert. 
A fave too, but I thought I remembered the bonus features not being that great.  My memory could be off there though.  

Watched First Man last night. I am kicking myself for not seeing it in the theater. Fantastic movie- I can't believe they released it in October and not this summer to coincide with the 50th anniversary. Its a great film and continues my on-going respect for director Damien Chazelle who at 34 has completed 3 very different but top shelf movies in First Man, La La Land and Whiplash. 
Agreed. Watched this on my phone on a plane and was bummed. Great movie, great score. Good pacing. Really enjoyed that.

A fave too, but I thought I remembered the bonus features not being that great.  My memory could be off there though.  
I can't help you on information regarding the bonus features -- wish I could. I own almost no tangible media to speak of that isn't packed away in boxes. They've switched up the formats so much that I don't bother anymore.

eta* That said, I think I own Ghost World somewhere. 

A Quiet Place was really good. Mad at myself for not seeing it in theater.

Mortal Engines was awful. In just about every way.
Took my oldest daughter to see it at the movies. Couldn't even eat your popcorn until the waterfall scene. Only time I've ever experienced something like that. Dead quiet. 

Agreed. Watched this on my phone on a plane and was bummed. Great movie, great score. Good pacing. Really enjoyed that.
Maybe I should try this one again. Felt really slow. Had a hard time staying awake and stopped watching about 1/2 way thru..

Maybe I should try this one again. Felt really slow. Had a hard time staying awake and stopped watching about 1/2 way thru..
I can see that complaint. Except for the space parts, it’s a slow restrained movie. I thought it was just gorgeous to look at and listen to- incredible cinematography and score. 

A couple of films this weekend...

A Star is Born (2018) - It was pretty solid, but I think I had too much spoiled for me. If I watched it in the theatre, the concert performance of "Shallow" probably would have had a bit more impact, but, as is, I think I've seen it about 1,000 times before watching the movie, so it loses a bit of its luster.  And, while I haven't seen any of the predecessor films, the plot is pretty familiar.  I enjoyed it enough for a not too deep weekend movie to watch with a bottle of wine, but just nothing eye-opening.

Pandora's Box (1929) - I thought I had seen this movie before (I went through a Weimar silent movie phase back in college), but, as I watching it, I felt less confidence in that.  Louise Brooks is so great and seductive in it, and you can see influences in cinema all the way down to Uma Thurman's character in Pulp Fiction.  It holds up to its reputation as one of the great films from the silent film era.

I was out Saturday night in DC for the moon landing celebration on the Mall.  I recorded First Man on HBO and Apollo 11 on CNN that night.  Going to have to watch both off the DVR.

I don't get the love for First Man.

Might be my Claire Foy bias. I find her extremely dislikable. Put her in the role of "concerned woman holding back heroic man" and it's doubly so.

And Gosling just reprised his role from Drive. 

I don't get the love for First Man.

Might be my Claire Foy bias. I find her extremely dislikable. Put her in the role of "concerned woman holding back heroic man" and it's doubly so.

And Gosling just reprised his role from Drive. 
How was she holding him back? She seemed awfully supportive to me. I think the bulk of the love for it were the visuals and the sound. It's something to behold but I like that it did it without flash. The quiet contemplative nature of the movie worked with well with the quiet isolation of space and the moon itself. 

How was she holding him back? She seemed awfully supportive to me. I think the bulk of the love for it were the visuals and the sound. It's something to behold but I like that it did it without flash. The quiet contemplative nature of the movie worked with well with the quiet isolation of space and the moon itself. 
Really? She pouted all the way to the moon and back again.

Unrelated to current topics but I just saw @Andy Dufresne in here so thought I'd mention that I was in Akron on Saturday and they had warden Norton bobblehead day at the AA Rubberducks game :D . Bob Gunton was there signing autographs.  He's old.  ;)

I ended up getting on the Criterion thing.  Ordered Charlie Chaplin’s City Lights and Modern Times.  Interested to see the restoration that Criterion has done on those.  I think the 4K transfer is what I watched of “The Kid” on TCM not too long ago, and that was pretty incredible. 

I’m continuing the silent theme, currently watching “Metropolis.”

...Agree with love of Ghost World.  I remember getting on the Scarlett Johansson bandwagon pretty early (talking about her acting skills) when that movie came out. 

I ended up getting on the Criterion thing.  Ordered Charlie Chaplin’s City Lights and Modern Times.  Interested to see the restoration that Criterion has done on those.  I think the 4K transfer is what I watched of “The Kid” on TCM not too long ago, and that was pretty incredible. 

I’m continuing the silent theme, currently watching “Metropolis.”

...Agree with love of Ghost World.  I remember getting on the Scarlett Johansson bandwagon pretty early (talking about her acting skills) when that movie came out. 
The Kid did look fantastic. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the 4k of CL and MT and they also fantastic. What do you think of Metropolis? I think it looks cool and was clearly decades ahead of its time but I also didn’t find myself loving the movie itself. I’ll have to give it a 2nd viewing at some point. 

The Kid did look fantastic. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the 4k of CL and MT and they also fantastic. What do you think of Metropolis? I think it looks cool and was clearly decades ahead of its time but I also didn’t find myself loving the movie itself. I’ll have to give it a 2nd viewing at some point. 
Good to hear on CL and MT.  I look forward to giving those a watch.

Metropolis is great.  I was watching an old DVD of it that I own (but I had not watched in probably over a decade).  They came out with a new "complete" version a few years ago based on new film that they found, but I haven't gotten a hold of a copy of that yet.  I've read that fixes some of the editing issues with earlier releases.

I don't think Metropolis holds up as well to modern standards as well as, let's say, Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's timeless comedies, but I think it is so far ahead of its time and influential that it leaves me in awe.

I watched Metropolis again about a month ago.

It really struck me that time how really dumb most of the story is.

The story OF the movie is cool - how they found most of the lost footage in a private collector's vault not that long ago.

The model making and matte paintings are exceptional. The imagery is powerful.

And the themes mostly work.

But the story is a tough slog.

Good to hear on CL and MT.  I look forward to giving those a watch.

Metropolis is great.  I was watching an old DVD of it that I own (but I had not watched in probably over a decade).  They came out with a new "complete" version a few years ago based on new film that they found, but I haven't gotten a hold of a copy of that yet.  I've read that fixes some of the editing issues with earlier releases.

I don't think Metropolis holds up as well to modern standards as well as, let's say, Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's timeless comedies, but I think it is so far ahead of its time and influential that it leaves me in awe.
I saw the new version- TCM played it a couple weeks ago. It looked incredible but there are several Fritz Lang movies I would rather sit down and watch. 

I saw the new version- TCM played it a couple weeks ago. It looked incredible but there are several Fritz Lang movies I would rather sit down and watch. 
I missed that when on TCM.  I'll need to look for it next time it is on.

I would agree with Lang having more watchable ones (and Andy on the story).  "M" is one of those sit and down whenever it is on kind of movies, and I would put that above Metropolis.  I liked the Die Niebelungen movies, but I have not seen those since college.

On the story side, Metropolis presents a bit of an overly simplistic viewpoint of impact of technology and the labor system.  It really is the visuals, and seeing where so many film concepts originated from a film history standpoint, that make it fascinating to me.

Dismissed

Couldnt remember if someone in here recommended it or not, but an interesting take on a disturbed overachieving transfer student who is hell bent on getting a perfect 4.0. When he doesn’t, he goes off the rails. 3.5/5

Apocalypse Now:

Finished another rewatch and this is definitely on my list of movies that I love more as I get older and the more times I watch it.  I am sure learning more about the making of the movie adds to that love as well.   I am not sure how many movies would be on a list like that (like more and get more out on each rewatch), but There Will Be Blood and Apocalypse Now are two that come to mind right away.  

80s said that this is coming to theaters this fall with a version 1/2 way be between the original theatrical cut and the Redux?  I am going to try to seek that out and watch it on the big screen.  

KarmaPolice said:
Apocalypse Now:

Finished another rewatch and this is definitely on my list of movies that I love more as I get older and the more times I watch it.  I am sure learning more about the making of the movie adds to that love as well.   I am not sure how many movies would be on a list like that (like more and get more out on each rewatch), but There Will Be Blood and Apocalypse Now are two that come to mind right away.  

80s said that this is coming to theaters this fall with a version 1/2 way be between the original theatrical cut and the Redux?  I am going to try to seek that out and watch it on the big screen.  
The 4k with Atmos Blu-ray releases on August 27th. Cant wait! 

Glory 4k is next week, also awesome. The Shining in October.

Then there's the Iron Man and a few Disney titles as well coming out shortly. It gets to be an expensive hobby after a while!

KarmaPolice said:
Apocalypse Now:

August 15th it comes to theaters- just before that 4k release AD was talking about. 

Got this one queued up on HBO... will likely watch it tonight. Loved Whiplash and really enjoyed La La Land, impressive start to his career.

Got this one queued up on HBO... will likely watch it tonight. Loved Whiplash and really enjoyed La La Land, impressive start to his career.
I just read it looks like he is starting a new project with Emma Stone (and maybe Brad Pitt) about the transition from silent movies to talkes at the studios in the 20s: Babylon. 

KarmaPolice said:
Apocalypse Now:

i'm assuming you've seen Hearts of Darkness, but thought i'd mention it jic

i'm assuming you've seen Hearts of Darkness, but thought i'd mention it jic
weird... I posted something about that- I thought in response to KP... but I don't see it.

also mentioned it would've been weirder to see people in here not like Ghostworld.

tap-tap... is this thing on?

does anyone know someone who could fill me in on Marin County, precocious children, Brazilian soccer or dead architects of lower Manhattan?

While watching old movies for that youtube page I mentioned, I've really gotten into the work of **** Miller. He had some great range. Just finished watching A Bucket of Blood.

KarmaPolice said:
Thanks.  

It really sucks that the place that has it in Madison is one of those new fangled restaurant/theaters that I loathe.  
Same thing here. I’ve never been to one so maybe I’ll give it a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread