What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (3 Viewers)

Ilov80s said:
he Player is a perfect movie. If you like movies/Hollywood, it's just incredible how well filmed it is and how perfectly it captures the late 80s/early 90s Hollywood scene. It pushes it to the exact fine line between ridiculous and believable. Altman just totally nailed what he was trying to do. 

Great movie.

Blood and Black Lace

This excellent Italian jiallo thriller plays for free on Tubi. If you've ever seen Dario Argento's influential Suspiria, that movie is very much influenced by this Mario Bava classic. If you've seen enough slasher films, the kills here are pretty tame in comparison. But the photography, the sets, and the lighting are beautiful and scary.

Just watched Tenet.

I have a headache.
Picked it up from the library without any prior knowledge, had no clue what it was about, who was in it, etc.  

Slick look, great background music, liked the lead, the movie had potential but...

Lots of exposition, too much but the time-travel plot absolutely needed explaining.  To follow the plot takes effort but if you have the ability to follow the complicated plot you can't stomach the wild start of the movie that was 'only a test' or the side-plot of the lead risking all of humanity for a woman he has no relationship with or the antagonist's time-travel powers with a plethora of minions who aggressively want to end the world and their existence.  

Basically doesn't work because it takes too much effort to follow the complicated time-travel plot geared in an action flick intended for brainless action movie audiences.  

The Naked Prey

Directed, Produced and starring Cornel Wilde. 

Set in the South African veldt, the film's plot centers around a safari guide trying to survive in the veldt's harsh environment, while trying to avoid death at the hands of vengeful African warriors. 

Starts out with a safari guide leading investors on an elephant hunt through Africa when they come upon a tribe. The guide understands them and tells the top guy they just want a toll to go through their territory. He refuses and that leads to trouble. The guide (Wilde) ends up the only one alive and he is stripped naked and then hunted.

Really liked it. 86% on Rotten Tomatoes and 7.3 on imdb. 

Wilde’s efforts to avoid hurting animals went a step too far while filming a fight between a snake and a lizard. The former started gaining the upper hand so Wilde put a cloth sack over the snake and attempted to move the lizard away — but the little reptile bit down on his leg, refusing to release him, and had to be killed by crew members. Wilde had to return to London for medical care.

The Naked Prey

Directed, Produced and starring Cornel Wilde. 

Set in the South African veldt, the film's plot centers around a safari guide trying to survive in the veldt's harsh environment, while trying to avoid death at the hands of vengeful African warriors. 

Starts out with a safari guide leading investors on an elephant hunt through Africa when they come upon a tribe. The guide understands them and tells the top guy they just want a toll to go through their territory. He refuses and that leads to trouble. The guide (Wilde) ends up the only one alive and he is stripped naked and then hunted.

Really liked it. 86% on Rotten Tomatoes and 7.3 on imdb. 

Wilde’s efforts to avoid hurting animals went a step too far while filming a fight between a snake and a lizard. The former started gaining the upper hand so Wilde put a cloth sack over the snake and attempted to move the lizard away — but the little reptile bit down on his leg, refusing to release him, and had to be killed by crew members. Wilde had to return to London for medical care.
Whoa. I saw this as a kid and it made an impact...but it's one I never remember until it's brought up. Only thing I visually remember is, iirc, the end scene. Tempted to see again.

Just saw John and the Hole.

An allegory stuck inside a metaphor about childhood? Or psychosis? Or wealthy disaffection? Not sure it was bad..nicely filmed and certainly thought provoking. Or maybe just confusing?

Anybody else see this? @krista4

Nope.  Now I want to, though.

Just finished watching 'Falling'

Starring Viggo Mortensen, Lance Henriksen, Laura Linney.

A slice-of-life surrounding the grandfather declining into dementia, from his usual rough, bigoted self.

Language is rough, as the old man never had much of a filter.

Viggo directs, writes, and stars

I liked it quite a bit.

Not for everyone though.

Found it on Showtime

This sounds good.

Also +1 on The Player being a perfect movie.

Shiva Baby is a nice little film, comedy/drama with no big name actors (to me) but some faces you'll recognize.

Some sexual content, awkward moments, most of it set at a Jewish funeral service.

Streaming on HBO and Kanopy, looks like.

Shiva Baby is a nice little film, comedy/drama with no big name actors (to me) but some faces you'll recognize.

Some sexual content, awkward moments, most of it set at a Jewish funeral service.

Streaming on HBO and Kanopy, looks like.
Yeah I did like that, it’s not even 90 mins. Super quick watch.

Watch a couple this weekend:

A Quiet Place II

I really liked the exciting flashback of the first day. Some flaws, but if you liked the first one, you should enjoy it like I did.

The Rock

We went on a tour of Alcatraz a couple weeks ago and I had never seen this film, so I got it on Netflix.

An amazingly good cast was wasted on this lame film. I know that action films often stretch plausibility but this one might have set a record. I was amazed when I looked back at reviews and many said that it was very good.

Last edited by a moderator:

A Quiet Place II

I really liked the exciting flashback of the first day. Some flaws, but if you liked the first one, you should enjoy it like I did.

The Rock

We went on a tour of Alcatraz a couple weeks ago and I had never seen this film, so I got it on Netflix.

An amazingly good cast was wasted on this lame film. Several parts where I was thinking "Oh, come on". I know that action films often stretch plausibility but this one might have set a record. I was amazed when I looked back at reviews and many said it was very good.

welcome to the rock.

it's totally absurd, but still campy fun. I can't imagine anybody thinks it's objectively "very good"- but it's still a fun enough watch.

agree about AQP2, although the deaf girl out and about raised way too many questions about just how much sound attracts these things (best not to question it I guess if you want to keep enjoying them). I'm concerned that this is going to turn into an endless series that becomes similar to TWD with cartoony bad guys there just to stretch the movie out with dumb plot points.

The Rock

An amazingly good cast was wasted on this lame film. I know that action films often stretch plausibility but this one might have set a record. I was amazed when I looked back at reviews and many said that it was very good.
About a year ago I got drunk and had a double feature of The Rock and Con Air. Thought both were ridiculously awesome but that was 76% the booze talking. 

I loved Yi Yi which I finally saw last year and I got impatient waiting for A Brighter Summer Day to show up somewhere so I just bought it during the B&N Criterion sale. Absolutely incredible movie, maybe even better than Yi Yi which is hard to believe. Edward Yang has an incredible touch for making these long, sprawling films that keep you both entertained and intellectually stimulated the whole way through. Loved everything about this. The brief synopsis is it's about a true crime that took place in 1960s Taiwan among the youth gangs, political paranoia and economic hardship of the Chinese Nationalists who fled China during the Communist takeover. Or even more simply, it's about a well meaning child becomes totally corrupted by a broken society. 

@krista4 have you seen this one?

I loved Yi Yi which I finally saw last year and I got impatient waiting for A Brighter Summer Day to show up somewhere so I just bought it during the B&N Criterion sale. Absolutely incredible movie, maybe even better than Yi Yi which is hard to believe. Edward Yang has an incredible touch for making these long, sprawling films that keep you both entertained and intellectually stimulated the whole way through. Loved everything about this. The brief synopsis is it's about a true crime that took place in 1960s Taiwan among the youth gangs, political paranoia and economic hardship of the Chinese Nationalists who fled China during the Communist takeover. Or even more simply, it's about a well meaning child becomes totally corrupted by a broken society. 

YiYi is a top 10 goat for me... so I'm eager to see this- although sounds like I won't be able to via streaming.

I @ed k4 on it above, but you might find John and the Hole interesting. I'm still trying to figure out where I stand on it a few days later- I tend to be more literal/straight-ahead and have a more difficult time with parable/allegory/metaphorical movies... but that consideration alone makes me find it worthwhile. the screenwriter from Birdman fwiw.

I have not.  Something better than Yi Yi, as you said, seemed almost impossible.  It looks like you can stream it on Prime, though?

I have not.  Something better than Yi Yi, as you said, seemed almost impossible.  It looks like you can stream it on Prime, though?
Oh nice, don't think it was there a couple months ago. Or I missed it. Hopefully the streaming quality is good. I guess until a few years ago when Criterion released this, it was impossible to find. Not even a DVD or VHS official release. I guess there was some bootleg version around that was absolutely awful quality. It took awhile to find a negative to master and reprint. Anyway, well worth the watch as the Criterion version looks impeccable. Also it is 4 hours so plan accordingly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the movies that makes to Tubi great.

I hereby demand that you watch the '80s classic The Wraith on Tubi. Stars Charlie Sheen and makes absolutely no sense. Glorious.

I think you undersell Tubi a bit.  Yeah, it's free and full of shlock titles, but I would encourage anybody in these threads to load it up for some variety.   I dug around and added to the queue:

True Lies, Taking of Deborah Logan, The Act of Killing, Raw, Stalag 17, a couple Malick movies,  and yeah - a a bunch of stuff like Street Fighter and The Arrival.     I think there are some good gems to be seen on the app.  

You can see why the FBG Movie Club ended. KP and I have clearly gone our separate ways.   ;)  
:lol:     Blame the green stuff.   

I would be fine if I had focus and had something that I had to watch and picked out ahead of time.   Problem is I sit down, surf through, and land on crap or stuff I've seen 100 times.   I do love watching B/W movies in that state though.  I've been digging through the Criterion channel and recently watched Key Largo, Asphalt Jungle, finished Anatomy of a Murder, and something else I can't remember now.  

We checked out You Were Never Really Here with Joaquin Phoenix. I can see why they wanted him for the role as he always plays a great nutjob. The question is why did he take the part? Similar to Russel Crowe's recent road rage movie. Solid performance in a weak movie.

Not much to see here.

We checked out You Were Never Really Here with Joaquin Phoenix. I can see why they wanted him for the role as he always plays a great nutjob. The question is why did he take the part? Similar to Russel Crowe's recent road rage movie. Solid performance in a weak movie.

Not much to see here.
I liked the score a lot

I think you undersell Tubi a bit.  Yeah, it's free and full of shlock titles, but I would encourage anybody in these threads to load it up for some variety.   I dug around and added to the queue:

True Lies, Taking of Deborah Logan, The Act of Killing, Raw, Stalag 17, a couple Malick movies,  and yeah - a a bunch of stuff like Street Fighter and The Arrival.     I think there are some good gems to be seen on the app.  
Agree. And while it's not critically acclaimed, GI Jane is on Tubi and I like that very much despite the corniness.

Also, plenty of good music concerts and specials on Tubi. 

Agree. And while it's not critically acclaimed, GI Jane is on Tubi and I like that very much despite the corniness.
Yeah, there's a bunch of decent stuff on those lines too.  Also Aliens, Jaws, and stuff on that level.  

Ad breaks are longer than on peacock, but it's free and that allows for old man bladder and munchies breaks too.  

Long story short, for people on a budget or just looking for a break from their current streaming options, you can find a ton of good stuff with Peacock, Tubi, and Kanopy.  

I did try Yi Yi last week, but wasn't in the correct headspace, and need to circle around to that again.  

Also all the talk got me thinking, and I don't think I've ever seen an Altman movie.  

How does Tubi work? Free with commercials?
Correct.  I think during Enter the Dragon there was 3-5 ad breaks?   Only have watched 2 movies on there so far.  

Peacock is similar.  there is s free version and premium version.  free has ad breaks, and only some of seasons of shows like The Office.  

Correct.  I think during Enter the Dragon there was 3-5 ad breaks?   Only have watched 2 movies on there so far.  

Peacock is similar.  there is s free version and premium version.  free has ad breaks, and only some of seasons of shows like The Office.  
Criterion Channel sounds awesome. I don't know why I never got it. I guess I like the dumb ### collecting element of just buying the movies which I know isn't the best bang for the buck. 

Criterion Channel sounds awesome. I don't know why I never got it. I guess I like the dumb ### collecting element of just buying the movies which I know isn't the best bang for the buck. 
It really is.  They do a great job of rotating in fresh movies, and unlike every other service I've come across, they actually have some of their movies with the commentary tracks and bonus features.  I also like the way they put together their series like director series, Neo-Noir, Art House Animation, 80s Horror etc.. 

The way I looked at it was it was less than the price of six 50% off Criterion blurays a year.  

1994.   Same year as Street Fighter.   I think Mortal Kombat was around that time too.  
I played all those games and was 12 in 1994. Still only ever saw the MK movie. That should tell one everything they need to know about awful those movies must have been. 

I played all those games and was 12 in 1994. Still only ever saw the MK movie. That should tell one everything they need to know about awful those movies must have been. 
I watched them all in HS.   I have no words for how bad Street Fighter was, but I distinctly remember Double Dragon being worse when I watched it back in the day.  Super Mario Bros movie also atrocious.  

I watched them all in HS.   I have no words for how bad Street Fighter was, but I distinctly remember Double Dragon being worse when I watched it back in the day.  Super Mario Bros movie also atrocious.  
Maybe it was me or maybe it was a generational thing but by the time I was 12-13, I feel like I already felt too old for a Mario Bros or even Street Fighter movie. I was also kind of a little hood as a kid so it's likely just that. 

Anyway, to pimp the channel like jdogg, here are some movies that are legit good that I saw when scrolling through Tubi as I ate:

Mud, Little Miss Sunshine, Michael Clayton, Borat, Akira, Monster, Donnie Darko, Alien, Jaws, Train to Busan, Memento, Blue Valentine, 13 Assassins, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Pearl Harbor,  Audition,  His Girl Friday, Short Term 12, Meek's Cutoff, Tangerine, Stories We Tell, Mother, Murderball, Force Majeure, L.A. Confidential, The Terminator,  Stop Making Sense, (500) Days of Summer, Heathers, Donnie Darko, 

Maybe it was me or maybe it was a generational thing but by the time I was 12-13, I feel like I already felt too old for a Mario Bros or even Street Fighter movie. I was also kind of a little hood as a kid so it's likely just that. 
 I just mostly watched ####ty action movies and horror movies until 2nd year of college and then slowly watched other stuff.   I probably saw at least 2 of these in the theater too.  :bag:  

Yeah, there's a bunch of decent stuff on those lines too.  Also Aliens, Jaws, and stuff on that level.  

Ad breaks are longer than on peacock, but it's free and that allows for old man bladder and munchies breaks too.  
I just listen to podcasts on ad breaks.

Mr. Mojo said:

A Quiet Place II

The Rock

"Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and......" well, you know. Love that line!

Oh right...we watched the latest Mark Wahlberg sci-fi movie about reincarnation. I watch this, think about all the hours spent making it by thousands of hands and gajillion dollars over probably a couple years...and think about all the better things all of those resources could have gone towards. I mean, there's homelessness and whatnot, but also my windows need cleaning. 

Users who are viewing this thread