What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (3 Viewers)

Wow, I watched the first five minutes of Villainess last night, what an opening. I think it was probably a chest-mounted GoPro version of John Wick. It popped back out of POV after that opening. Looking forward to watching the rest tonight.

The opening fight scene is incredible

You guys are crazy, Avatar 2 was incredible. The last hour is one of the best action pieces ever filmed. Don't get mad because you didn't see it in 3D at the theater- that's like thinking you can just watch a 1st person POV of the new coaster at Cedar Point instead of actually going on the ride.
Who’s mad? I’m not mad at all, I’m just bored. I already cut it off.

I had to break it in pieces to watch it. Cannot imagine watching that 3.5 hours straight

The Avatar series seems like a logical conclusion for Cameron's career. He's always seemed to be as interested in the technology than the filmmaking itself which is very much in keeping with making movies at the bleeding edge of current technology.

Most of his films have technological themes, even a period piece like Titanic gets modern bumpers so Cameron can show off his toys. He was never the guy who would ever consider changing pace for something like The Fablemans.

Avatar 2 was just okay for me, not terrible and no longer a new idea.

Would rather Cameron be working on other projects myself.
I would too but it's never going to happen. He's just not interested in anything but Avatar and mostly exploring the ocean. At this point making movies is more of a 2nd hobby next to his real passion.
Might try to find abyss soon and watch it. Been a long time for that one

You guys are crazy, Avatar 2 was incredible. The last hour is one of the best action pieces ever filmed. Don't get mad because you didn't see it in 3D at the theater- that's like thinking you can just watch a 1st person POV of the new coaster at Cedar Point instead of actually going on the ride.
Who’s mad? I’m not mad at all, I’m just bored. I already cut it off.

I had to break it in pieces to watch it. Cannot imagine watching that 3.5 hours straight
The movie very clearly set in 3 parts. The first part was tough imo. It's so much recap and set-up. However, in the theater there's just always something so interesting to look at that it gets you through. It feels like you are in the middle of the world with things flying and swimming all around you.

The Avatar series seems like a logical conclusion for Cameron's career. He's always seemed to be as interested in the technology than the filmmaking itself which is very much in keeping with making movies at the bleeding edge of current technology.

Most of his films have technological themes, even a period piece like Titanic gets modern bumpers so Cameron can show off his toys. He was never the guy who would ever consider changing pace for something like The Fablemans.
Yep. He is great at big ideas, executing incredibly difficult visions and pushing tech forward but he doesn't usually get the best out of his actors and can't write dialogue worth a lick.

Been on a DDL kick here. So interesting to see his career in almost it's entirety unfold:

So far I rewatched 3 movies I've seen many times and adore:
  • The Age of Innocence
  • A Room with a VIew (RIP Julian Sands)
  • The Last of the Mohicans
and for the first time, I watched
  • Lincoln (DDL is great but the movie is mid)
  • Nine (what absolute garbage, even worse than I expected)
Tonight it's my first revisit of Phantom Thread, hopefully it hold up. I remember loving it the first time and finding it so oddly funny.

The scene where Alma prepares his asparagus with butter is absolutely the funniest f'n thing.

Right now, I'm just admiring my own gallantry for eating it the way you've prepared it.

Is this an ambush? Are you sent here to ruin my evening? And possibly my entire life?

Been on a DDL kick here. So interesting to see his career in almost it's entirety unfold:

• The Age of Innocence
Tonight it's my first revisit of Phantom Thread, hopefully it hold up. I remember loving it the first time and finding it so oddly funny.

Speaking of Sands, Boxing Helena is a good one

• The Age of Innocence

What a weird premise for a movie though.

Just watched "Cool Hand Luke" for the first time. I was watching the documentary about Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman recently and it made me interested in checking out Newman's films I hadn't seen.
CHL is a great movie and what a cast! Newman, George Kennedy, Dennis Hopper, Harry Dean Stanton (credited as Dean Stanton), Wayne Rogers (Trapper John from MASH the TV series), Ralph Waite (the Father from The Waltons) and Strother Martin.

Just watched "Cool Hand Luke" for the first time. I was watching the documentary about Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman recently and it made me interested in checking out Newman's films I hadn't seen.
CHL is a great movie and what a cast! Newman, George Kennedy, Dennis Hopper, Harry Dean Stanton (credited as Dean Stanton), Wayne Rogers (Trapper John from MASH the TV series), Ralph Waite (the Father from The Waltons) and Strother Martin.
Cool Hand Luke is awesome! "Oh my Lucille!"
If you haven't seen it yet I recommend Cat on a Hot Tin Roof for another Newman classic with a stellar cast including Elizabeth Taylor and Burl Ives. Big Daddy roots out the mendacity in his family while confronting his sullen and lost son. It's a Tennessee Williams play so the dialogue is sharp and the acting top notch.

Also from the CHL time period is The Hustler. George C Scott, Piper Laurie and Jackie Gleason shine in this pool hall epic. Paul Newman was one of the best actors of all time imo, happy watching!

If you haven't seen it yet I recommend Cat on a Hot Tin Roof for another Newman classic with a stellar cast including Elizabeth Taylor and Burl Ives. Big Daddy roots out the mendacity in his family while confronting his sullen and lost son. It's a Tennessee Williams play so the dialogue is sharp and the acting top notch.

Also from the CHL time period is The Hustler. George C Scott, Piper Laurie and Jackie Gleason shine in this pool hall epic. Paul Newman was one of the best actors of all time imo, happy watching!
Never been a Tennessee Williams' fan, so probably will skip Cat On A....
I've seen The Hustler, The Sting, Butch Cassidy..., Slap Shot, etc. ,so I know and like Newman's work.
But, I've never seen Hud or Winning so those are next on my list. I think I'll revisit Butch Cassidy too because it was quite a while ago when I saw it.

Gattaca (Tubi for 2 more days): Turns out I had seen this long ago, but couldn’t remember the ending. Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Jude Law in a near-future movie where people select their best genes to pass to their kids, and imperfect people are an underclass. Some really cool stuff in this - they went for a 50s look for the future, which worked well. The genetic testing somehow successfully toed the line to be oppressive while seeming boring to the characters, which is even creepier. The tiny piano player bit hinted at things going in a different direction in the future.

Good movie, check it out if you haven’t seen it.

• The Age of Innocence

What a weird premise for a movie though.

A friend of mine had an affair with Sands one summer in LA (over 20 years ago) and she said he thought Boxing ruined his career. Many say the same for Sherilyn Fenn.

I've seen The Hustler, The Sting, Butch Cassidy..., Slap Shot, etc. ,so I know and like Newman's work.
But, I've never seen Hud or Winning so those are next on my list. I think I'll revisit Butch Cassidy too because it was quite a while ago when I saw it.
Hud is a must. His best performance next to The Verdict. IMO it’s one of the most under appreciated movies of the era. I think 75% of the reason Hud is so under the radar is the name. It just sounds weird and doesn’t tickle the imagination.

Hud is a must. His best performance next to The Verdict. IMO it’s one of the most under appreciated movies of the era. I think 75% of the reason Hud is so under the radar is the name. It just sounds weird and doesn’t tickle the imagination.
The Verdict is one of my favorite films. In the documentary I watched they mentioned that Sidney Lumet took Newman aside at one point and told him he was mailing in his performance. When Newman asked him what he meant, Lumet replied "I need to see more of you". I didn't realize Newman was basically a functioning alcoholic for much of his career and Lumet knew he could provide a personal insight/touch to his performance. Newman was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor for the performance, but lost to Ben Kingsley for his role in Gandhi.

Last edited:
I think 75

The Verdict is one of my favorite films. In the documentary I watched they mentioned that Sidney Lumet took Newman aside at one point and told him he was mailing in his performance. When Newman asked him what he meant, Lumet replied "I need to see more of you". I didn't realize Newman was basically a functioning achololic for much of his career and Lumet knew he could provide a personal insight/touch to his performance. Newman was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor for the performance, but lost to Ben Kingsley for his role in Gandhi.
Kingsley is great but I think Newman deserved it. He also deserved it for Hud. Poitier won that year for Lillies of the Field which is a solid movie and great performance- glad he won but I think Newman was better.

Re-watched Summertime last night. I didn't care for it too much the first time but it's David Lean so it deserved a second chance. Glad I did, because this time it really worked for me. It's a nice bridge between his early intimate movies and his epics. In plot, it's similar to Brief Encounter. It's just a small love story between 2 older strangers who meet by chance. However, the setting is a bright and beautiful Venice. Every frame is sumptuous and its a movie you wish you could jump into and live with. Katharine Hepburn is great as always though it's a little tough to fully buy her as a spinster from Akron who has supposedly very little life experience. Still, it just sparkles with life.

About Time (Tubi for 10 more minutes): Domnhall Gleason, Rachel McAdams, Bill Nighy. I hadn’t heard of this before some algorithm fed it to me. Men in a family can travel back in time within their own lives and experiences. This was just a sweet movie - I thought there would be more Butterfly Effect pain, or that it would be a typical romcom, but it was just a charming sweet movie. Glad I watched it.

About Time (Tubi for 10 more minutes): Domnhall Gleason, Rachel McAdams, Bill Nighy. I hadn’t heard of this before some algorithm fed it to me. Men in a family can travel back in time within their own lives and experiences. This was just a sweet movie - I thought there would be more Butterfly Effect pain, or that it would be a typical romcom, but it was just a charming sweet movie. Glad I watched it.
Absolutely love this movie.

Yeah my wife made me watch it and I was very skeptical but it’s really good.

Yeah my wife made me watch it and I was very skeptical but it’s really good.
I will take note if Richard Curtis' name is attached to a movie. Even if they aren't perfect, I will usually get some laughs and they are usually something that both the wife and I will like. Love, Actually gets all the attention, but I would much rather watch About Time after seeing both multiple times.

Indiana Jones and the Macguffin of Destiny - honestly it was fine. If you like Indy movies you’ll like it, if you don’t you won’t. Personally they’re all overrated after Raiders but this was an entertaining way to spend 2.5 hours not being boiled by the sun.

3/5

Don’t know why it cost 300M to make. They gotta get that under control.

I think 75

The Verdict is one of my favorite films. In the documentary I watched they mentioned that Sidney Lumet took Newman aside at one point and told him he was mailing in his performance. When Newman asked him what he meant, Lumet replied "I need to see more of you". I didn't realize Newman was basically a functioning achololic for much of his career and Lumet knew he could provide a personal insight/touch to his performance. Newman was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor for the performance, but lost to Ben Kingsley for his role in Gandhi.
Kingsley is great but I think Newman deserved it. He also deserved it for Hud. Poitier won that year for Lillies of the Field which is a solid movie and great performance- glad he won but I think Newman was better.
Hoffman was also up for Tootsie that year, making it the toughest Best Actor competition I can remember.

Indiana Jones and the Macguffin of Destiny - honestly it was fine. If you like Indy movies you’ll like it, if you don’t you won’t. Personally they’re all overrated after Raiders but this was an entertaining way to spend 2.5 hours not being boiled by the sun.

3/5

Insane amount of money. I assume it’s because there’s so much CGI and the de-aging on Ford? Plus the general inflation for travel, set building, etc. Insane costs. Adjusted for inflation, Raiders cost about $70 million.

I just saw the new Indiana Jones movie in a d-box theater seat, 10/10 and highly recommend seeing in on of those seats if you have the opportunity. Made the whole experience 100x’s better with the seat moving to the action on screen.

I just saw the new Indiana Jones movie in a d-box theater seat, 10/10 and highly recommend seeing in on of those seats if you have the opportunity. Made the whole experience 100x’s better with the seat moving to the action on screen.
Oh man did you just get the movie snob in me bitching away here. :lol:

3/5

Insane amount of money. I assume it’s because there’s so much CGI and the de-aging on Ford? Plus the general inflation for travel, set building, etc. Insane costs. Adjusted for inflation, Raiders cost about $70 million.
Yeah, the CGI work had to be really expensive. I appreciated it, but I'm pretty sure I don't like the overall concept. I'm being a luddite, I realize, but this is going to really contort not just our entertainment, but probably lots of other areas of our lives in ways I don't think we're equipped to handle just yet.

As for the movie, it was good. I hate time travel as a plot premise / devise, so I might have liked it better had they gone a different direction with the fantastic nature of the artifact in question. But you're not really there for the plot in these anyway, the action and the acting were really good throughout. The didn't go too overboard with the callbacks and nostalgia either, kudos for the writers for striking a good balance there.

3/5

Yeah, the CGI work had to be really expensive. I appreciated it, but I'm pretty sure I don't like the overall concept. I'm being a luddite, I realize, but this is going to really contort not just our entertainment, but probably lots of other areas of our lives in ways I don't think we're equipped to handle just yet.

Yep, agree 100%. I saw Indy and liked it, but I think I was most thrown off by the Jennifer Lopez AI commercial that played before the movie. In the commercial it is played as a joke, but we will soon reach the point where it will be impossible to tell the difference between a real video from a deep fake one.

3/5

As for the movie, it was good. I hate time travel as a plot premise / devise, so I might have liked it better had they gone a different direction with the fantastic nature of the artifact in question. But you're not really there for the plot in these anyway, the action and the acting were really good throughout. The didn't go too overboard with the callbacks and nostalgia either, kudos for the writers for striking a good balance there.
I agree spot on. The time travel kind of ruined the end for me. Just wish they didn’t do that. All the cave stuff was fun though.

Loved the beginning but oh my god that had to be 60% of the budget and that’s just weird.

3/5

I agree spot on. The time travel kind of ruined the end for me. Just wish they didn’t do that. All the cave stuff was fun though.

Loved the beginning but oh my god that had to be 60% of the budget and that’s just weird.
Right there with you all. Thought the overall movie was about a 6 out of 10.. Not one I'll watch again, but enjoyed the ride.. :thumbup:
Except the time travel.. If you turn off all logic, ok cool. But logic says if a plane crashed 2000 years ago, the world as they knew it would have been non-existent.

Dune (Hulu): Second time watching this, what a spectacle. I love it - just stunning visuals all the way through, great actors, neat use of sound… this is a fantastic movie, maybe one of my favorites ever.

I liked the balance of battle vs. story, the battles themselves looked unique, not just another Star Wars clone.

I think I might be a Villeneuve superfan based on this, Arrival, and Blade Runner (and Sicario to a lesser extent). I’ll have to go back and watch his other movies.
Not sure if you saw it in the theater but holy **** was it great
IMAX and it was incredible. Will see Part 2 the same way.

Just got back from Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

Huge Indiana Jones fan.

And we loved it.

8/10

If you love Raiders and Crusade…..this was in the wheelhouse of those two Indy adventures.

Just a great time at the movies.

Movies I watched in June

Everyone Says I Love You (1996 - W. Allen)
Saturday Night Fever (1977 - J. Badham)
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018 - B. Persichetti, P. Ramsey, R. Rothman)
The Show (2020 - M. Jenkins)
Raising Arizona (1987 - J. & E. Coen)
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969 - P. Hunt)
In Bruges (2008 - M. McDonagh)
The Exterminator (1980 - J. Glickenhaus)
Blood on the Moon (1948 - R. Wise)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971 - J. Schlesinger)
Nomad: In the Footsteps of Bruce Chatwin (2019 - W. Herzog)
Undercover Brother (2002 - M. Lee)
Fitzcarraldo (1982 - W. Herzog)
The Hangover (2009 - T. Phillips)
El Dorado (1966 - H. Hawks)
Track of the Cat (1954 - W. Wellman)
Con Air (1997 - S. West)
Burden of Dreams (1982 - L. Blank)
Romeo + Juliet (1996 - B. Luhrmann)

Nineteen this month is up a couple over last month.

My viewing projects this month were a trio of Robert Mitchum Westerns and some films by and about Werner Herzog.

The Mitchum movies were Blood on the Moon, El Dorado and Track of the Cat. Blood on the Moon was the best of the three. It was like a Noir Western shot in shadowy black and white with a conflicted hero and convoluted plot typical of Film Noir. Robert Preston made a good villian. El Dorado is another Hawks remake of his own Rio Bravo. Mitchum and John Wayne have some great scenes together but I was really distracted by Nelson Riddle's anachronistic 60s score which sounded like outtakes from his Batman TV music. Track of the Cat is a bizarre film shot in Technicolor but with almost an entirely monochrome palette. The infrequent touches of color were limited to blood on the snow and Mitchum's red jacket. It was a very cool visual effect but the turgid family melodrama reminded me of a poor man's East of Eden.

I had no idea Everyone Says I Love You was a musical for non-singers. That bold idea wasn't entirely successful and Woody Allen's character is even creepier in retrospect. I'd never seen Saturday Night Fever in its entirety before. I was surprised at the low budget, almost documentary feel it had. I enjoyed the first Spider-Verse movie even though it's a very conventional origin story underneath the multiverse gimmick. We were going to go to see the new one but didn't make it out for some reason.

The Show was an indescribably weird movie written by Alan Moore. Parts took place in a dream world reminiscent of the red room in Twin Peaks. I have little recollection about what happened but I made it to the end. Raising Arizona still holds up 35 years on. I much prefer it to the Big Lebowski but hopefully nobody will start a separate thread about it. On Her Majesty's Secret Service was the first 007 movie I ever saw so it always holds a special place in my heart. Its pace is slower than every Bond film since but the winter chase scenes are good once the action starts.

I loved the dark humor of In Bruges' dark comedy; it made me want to watch more from Martin McDonagh. The Exterminator was a over-the-top violent urban revenge fantasy from 80s grindhouse auteur (and current hypercar constructor) James Glickenhaus. The plot holes raised so many unanswered questions but the non-stop action kept them at bay. Sunday Bloody Sunday was my one LGBTQ film for Pride month. It was probably scandalous for its time but the loveless love triangle seemed more sad than anything. It was wonderfully acted by Glenda Jackson (RIP), Peter Finch and Murray Head but I was more moved by the dog getting run over.

Undercover Brother was a favorite of my kids when they were teens. It's still very funny even without my son yelling out punchlines. I watched The Hangover as prep for a Vegas trip. It hasn't held up quite as well as Undercover Brother but it has its moments. Con Air is ridiculously entertaining dumb fun; I respect how the script constantly manages to ratchet up the stakes. I'd seen the beginning of the Baz Luhrmann Romeo + Juliet many times but never watched all the way through. The staging is still audacious and di Caprio and Danes are just impossibly young.

My Herzog project was a chore at times but it's the price you pay for being a cineaste. Fitzcarraldo is the story of one man's obsession in the Amazon rainforest. The scenes of the steamship being hoisted over the mountain are incredible as are the performances of some of the indigenous actors. Les Blank's documentary Burden of Dreams about Herzog's film shoot in the jungle is another tale of obsession and endurance. It's a fascinating companion piece to Fitzcarraldo. The most difficult film was Nomad; Herzog's tribute/biography of the great travel writer Bruce Chatwin. Herzog and Chatwin were kindred spirits but I don't think the filmmaker was able to capture his subject's life and work.

How was it (without giving away spoilers)?

It's kind of hard to spoil a Wes Anderson film because the plot is often just a device to bring characters together. I liked it; I don't know what it said about the human condition but it was hilarious at times.

The shark move would have probably been to see Indiana Jones on the big screen and wait to stream Asteroid City but we weren't in the mood for it today.

3/5

I see what you did there ;)

Went to see Indy today. Enjoyable movie a tad long, hits all the Indy notes
The length of these “popcorn” movies is killing me. An action-comedy-adventure-super hero movie shouldn’t be averaging 2.5+ hours. I’m sure that’s also part of the expense.

Raiders: 115
Doom: 118
Crusade: 127
Skull: 122
Destiny: 155

A full 40 mins longer than Raiders. If Raiders was 35% longer, it might not have been the classic we now consider it. All that filler can take the fun out of a film and leave people exhausted instead of wanting more.

The length of these “popcorn” movies is killing me. An action-comedy-adventure-super hero movie shouldn’t be averaging 2.5+ hours. I’m sure that’s also part of the expense.

A full 40 mins longer than Raiders. If Raiders was 35% longer, it might not have been the classic we now consider it. All that filler can take the fun out of a film and leave people exhausted instead of wanting more.

Most Marvel movies. I mean, the few I saw were good, but exhausting. So I didn't really go back for more.

Most Marvel movies. I mean, the few I saw were good, but exhausting. So I didn't really go back for more.
Not my thing but I get it. They have fan service kitchen sink approach so not only are there a million of the movies and TV shows to keep up with but the movies are so long that watching 2 is more like watching 3. I guess I can’t speak because I’ve literally never seen a marvel movie but it sure seems like they are in need of real editors.

Users who are viewing this thread