What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (1 Viewer)

I really enjoyed The Holdovers. It's a little gem of a film with as much to say about the human condition as It's a Wonderful Life or any other holiday classic.
Liked it a lot as well, as did the wife. Alexander Payne is pretty, pretty good.

The script by David Hemingson is terrific. I love how it sets the audience up for a prep school version of The Breakfast Club before zooming i on the main characters and raising the stakes for them.
I just watched it based on your rec... Very good. The writing and acting is fantastic.
Liked it a lot more than I thought I would (not a big Giamatti fan)

He doesn't have a lot of range but he's capable of crushing one when he sees a pitch he likes
He couldn't have been more suited for that role. Really the whole cast is pitch perfect. The story about the lead Dominic Sessa is incredible. He was actual student at Deerfield where they shot the film. The casting director allowed for the kids in their theater program to tryout for roles and he was offered the lead in the movie. He's fantastic and so is Da'Vine Joy Randolph. She probably wins an Oscar IMO.

He doesn't have a lot of range but he's capable of crushing one when he sees a pitch he likes
He couldn't have been more suited for that role. Really the whole cast is pitch perfect. The story about the lead Dominic Sessa is incredible. He was actual student at Deerfield where they shot the film. The casting director allowed for the kids in their theater program to tryout for roles and he was offered the lead in the movie. He's fantastic and so is Da'Vine Joy Randolph. She probably wins an Oscar IMO.
That is so cool!

I've mentioned floppinha has been acting... Gets some interesting tv/film auditions and usually gets a few looks. But the part always goes to either a nepo baby or an already hard working kid (and there are like 4 or 5 of them her age that gets all the jobs... Kids who moved to LA and got homeschooled).

I LOVE hearing about an unknown kid getting something for being in the right place at the right time. And he was fantastic in the role- totally deserved to work with that cast.

I watched part of The Florida Project last night and got thirty-five or so minutes in. Somehow I got to thinking about the director and the cinematography and thought it seemed a lot like Red Rocket both thematically and just sort of feeling-wise. And I've never seen Red Rocket. Only the trailers for it. It turns out that it's the same director and writer.

Two slices of lower-class America that are sort of tragic, from what I understand. I have to admit I shut The Florida Project off and read about it instead. I just wasn't up for that sort of constantly depressing "look at how lower-class Americans act and neglect their kids, etc., and aren't we going to hell in a handbasket here?" I mean, I know there are situations like that. I encountered them in my worst days. I just didn't want to watch it re-enacted on film in Florida.

Kissimmee, where the movie is set, is where one of my cohorts from my rougher years wound up living for quite some time. She called me a month or so ago from Massachusetts pleading with me for money or they would send her to jail. I didn't have any. She then called on New Year's. I was saddened and worried, but haven't called back yet. It's a tough conversation with a lot of pain involved.

Once you've seen it up close, the films always feel contrived, but then hit home. None of what I just said was made up, either. Ugh. The character that is Halley hit too close to home. I did think the part where the grandmother says, "I need to lighten up. I need to light up. And I need to get laid," to which Halley says, "Same here, girl. I - I feel ya" was really understated and done well. Halley doesn't even understand that the woman is getting over on her—saying it sarcastically.

Those lives are sad—impoverished in so many ways and addicted to so many things. When Moonee does her dance at thirty minutes in and sexualizes herself without even coming close to knowing what that all means, the heart sort of breaks yet realizes this is a bit of American reality.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. Food for thought and maybe I'll finish it later.

Last edited:
I watched part of The Florida Project last night and got thirty-five or so minutes in. Somehow I got to thinking about the director and the cinematography and thought it seemed a lot like Red Rocket both thematically and just sort of feeling-wise. And I've never seen Red Rocket. Only the trailers for it. It turns out that it's the same director and writer.

Two slices of lower-class America that are sort of tragic, from what I understand. I have to admit I shut The Florida Project off and read about it instead. I just wasn't up for that sort of constantly depressing "look at how lower-class Americans act and neglect their kids, etc., and aren't we going to hell in a handbasket here?" I mean, I know there are situations like that. I encountered them in my worst days. I just didn't want to watch it re-enacted on film in Florida.

Kissimmee, where the movie is set, is where one of my cohorts from my rougher years wound up living for quite some time. She called me a month or so ago from Massachusetts pleading with me for money or they would send her to jail. I didn't have any. She then called on New Year's. I was saddened and worried, but haven't called back yet. It's a tough conversation with a lot of pain involved.

Once you've seen it up close, the films always feel contrived, but then hit home. None of what I just said was made up, either. Ugh. The character that is Halley hit too close to home. I did think the part where the grandmother says, "I need to lighten up. I need to light up. And I need to get laid," to which Halley says, "Same here, girl. I - I feel ya" was really understated and done well. Halley doesn't even understand that the woman is getting over on her—saying it sarcastically.

Those lives are sad—impoverished in so many ways and addicted to so many things. When Moonee does her dance at thirty minutes in and sexualizes herself without even coming close to knowing what that all means, the heart sort of breaks yet realizes this is a bit of American reality.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. Food for thought and maybe I'll finish it later.
Can definitely see that if you have a personal connection to the same type situation it would be a tough watch.

Yeah Florida Project reminded me of a lot families I’ve worked with, especially when I worked in a lower SES district than I do now. Though I definitely work with a mom right now who’s very similar in looks and situation to Halley. She’s just Halley 10 years later and who’s got her life a little more organized. Just a little lol. The 15 year old who I’ve taken under my wing this past year also reminds me a lot of a Moonee. She was definitely raised (or should I say not raised) in a similar way. Things were looking bleak, but she’s doing great now. So it doesn’t always turn out horrible for people in rough situations. I love Sean Baker’s movies. There’s almost no real actors in it. Even with the tragedy and turmoil, I find something so beautiful in it. Moonee’s line about her favorite tree is something I think about all the time as a teacher and especially the kid who has basically become my sort of daughter:
  • Moonee: You know why this is my favorite tree?
  • Jancey: Why?
  • Moonee: 'Cause it's tipped over, and it's still growing

Last edited:
Krista might be the only person in America who didn’t like Maverick. I’m not a big action movie person but that’s one of the best action movies ever made. It’s not quite Die Hard or Fury Road but it’s close.
I wouldn’t say that I didn’t like it. It was entertaining enough (saw it on 80” screen), but I really don’t get the love, and isn’t something I’d ever watch again.

The “son of Goose” thing seemed so silly and so contrived.

Krista might be the only person in America who didn’t like Maverick. I’m not a big action movie person but that’s one of the best action movies ever made. It’s not quite Die Hard or Fury Road but it’s close.
I wouldn’t say that I didn’t like it. It was entertaining enough (saw it on 80” screen), but I really don’t get the love, and isn’t something I’d ever watch again.

the son of goose compared to everything seemed the most realistic to me :shrug:

Curious if anyone has watched FOE on Amazon prime and what you thought
Haven’t but the complete lack of buzz for what should be a notable release says everything I need to know. It sure seems like it’s being buried like nobody wants you to know it’s being released.

the son of goose compared to everything seemed the most realistic to me :shrug:
that just makes it worse then.

It just seemed so contrived and a dumb storyline - but admittedly that's not what people tune in for on a movie like that. It was visually stunning but the plot was weak.

Society of the Snow on Netflix is a Spanish film retelling of the 1972 Andes plane crash. The film is excellent.
We noticed this out over the weekend... The wife is strangely interested in the story. We've watched the original film and a doc or two. Interesting that the story has more left to tell, but will likely watch this one too .

10. May December (2023)- You have to be willing to play on this movies level here. It's very camp. This is Natalie Portman playing a bad actress and doing so as if she herself is a bad actress (or is she?). Julianne Moore puts on the funniest voice of the year. It's basically like a Lifetime movie about the making of a Lifetime movie. Yet still I think it does have some interesting things to say about victimhood, how we tell our own narratives, love, etc. Standouts: Charles Melton is getting the award buzz and he's really good but the two lead actresses had me in stitches in this movie. Again, I think to fully enjoy this movie you have to be open to the laughs. I assume many people watched this, viewed it as a straight drama, and thought it was really bad. I think they missed the point.

9. For a Few Dollars More (1965)- The last Leone movie for me to see. I don't think this is very far from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly level greatness. It adds Klaus Kinski to the mix which is a touch of dynamite. Everyone knows what this is. It's either your thing or it's not. Standouts: Morricone does a solid job with the score (but it's actually a lesser score given his insanely high standard) but for me it's all about Eastwood vs Lee Van Cleef.

8. Contempt or Le Mepris (1963)- Godard's Breathless changed cinema. For most, a movie of that impact would be enough. They might even become formulaic in their attempt to keep recreating their breakthrough success. Not Godard. He spent the next 7 years trying to rip movies apart at their seams (and by 1967's Weekend, he might have succeeded). Along the way, his experimentation hit some sublime highs. Contempt is not one of them. It's possibly his most straight forward and "Hollywood" movie of the era but that isn't a knock. It worked on me like a charm- maybe even more than some of Godard's move offbeat stuff. The plot is simple, a movie producer who knows nothing about movies hires a writer to help save his out of control epic but finds himself more interested in the writer's wife than anything else. Standouts: Can you blame the producer? The woman he's falling for is Brigitte Bardot. I promise you will too.

7. Barbie (2023)- Speaking of famous blondes...I admit the context of which I saw this certainly had a big influence. It was opening night, with a large group, we had a few drinks and the theater was sold out. Like not just the theater I was in, but the whole movie theater. It felt like the 90s again. People were in costume, it was such so much fun being part of a larger cultural happening: Barbenheimer. That's something that is so rare in the atomized culture landscape of today. The movie was hilarious and the crowd roared through the whole thing. It was so much fun. I also respect the difficulty level of making a movie about a toy doll that's funny, smart, undercuts it's own message and is able to appeal to mass audiences. How wild was it that the biggest blockbusters of the year were about a doll and a physicist? And that their audiences had a huge overlap on the venn diagram. Standouts: I think part of the odd charm of the movie is that for a movie about women, the best and most interesting character was Ken. Ryan Gosling and especially his I'm Just Ken song was maybe the best thing I saw all year.

6. The Holdovers (2023)- It doesn't have Barbie's production design, For a Few More Dollars camerawork, the sex appeal of Contempt. It's just a small, charming movie with mass appeal. I struggle to imagine how anyone could not like this movie. There are many movies on this list I would never recommend to my mom or a teenager or even my wife. I can't think of anyone over the age of 16 that I wouldn't recommend this to. An instant holiday classic that I will likely watch 20 more times in my life as the nostalgia of the holiday season comes and goes. Stand outs: Da'Vine Joy Randolph and Paul Giamatti are perfect. And they should be, they are professionals with years of experience. But how about Dominic Sessa making his screen debut? The kid was literally a theater student at the prep school the movie was shooting at where he was discovered and cast as the lead. He's as good as anyone else in the movie. A potential star making break and performance from the kid.

Last edited:
I finally saw Barbie.
It started off really fun and I really laughed at the opening 2001 parody.
But it seemed to slow down when it started trying really hard to be a "message film".
I thought it was ok overall, but closer to average than good.

I started off 2024 with Jawan on Netflix. It was the highest grossing Indian movie of 2023 and is a good example of a modern masala movie. I know Bollywood isn't particularly loved in this thread but I like the exuberance and excessiveness of Indian cinema. You won't find the same combination of violent over-the-top action sequences, melodramatic family vengeance sagas interspersed with song and dance numbers anywhere else.

Jawan is a star vehicle for Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan who plays a modern-day Robin Hood characters. He and his all-woman gang pull off a far-fetched action caper every half hour or so to keep things moving. Jawan isn't a great film and is laughably bad in bits but it's entertaining as all get out.

I started off 2024 with Jawan on Netflix. It was the highest grossing Indian movie of 2023 and is a good example of a modern masala movie. I know Bollywood isn't particularly loved in this thread but I like the exuberance and excessiveness of Indian cinema. You won't find the same combination of violent over-the-top action sequences, melodramatic family vengeance sagas interspersed with song and dance numbers anywhere else.

Jawan is a star vehicle for Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan who plays a modern-day Robin Hood characters. He and his all-woman gang pull off a far-fetched action caper every half hour or so to keep things moving. Jawan isn't a great film and is laughably bad in bits but it's entertaining as all get out.
I need to watch more. I’ve liked the few I’ve seen, maybe I’ll give Jawan a spin.

9. For a Few More Dollars (1965)- The last Leone movie for me to see. I don't think this is very far from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly level greatness. It adds Klaus Kinski to the mix which is a touch of dynamite. Everyone knows what this is. It's either your thing or it's not. Standouts: Morricone does a solid job with the score (but it's actually a lesser score given his insanely high standard) but for me it's all about Eastwood vs Lee Van Cleef.
Dude, solid job? This is the one from which New Order stole the bass line for Blue Monday. It's more than solid.

:D

9. For a Few More Dollars (1965)- The last Leone movie for me to see. I don't think this is very far from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly level greatness. It adds Klaus Kinski to the mix which is a touch of dynamite. Everyone knows what this is. It's either your thing or it's not. Standouts: Morricone does a solid job with the score (but it's actually a lesser score given his insanely high standard) but for me it's all about Eastwood vs Lee Van Cleef.
Dude, solid job? This is the one from which New Order stole the bass line for Blue Monday. It's more than solid.

Yeah I stand by that. It’s a good score but in the grand scheme of Morricone’s work, it’s a slightly more minor work imo. I like the score for the other two Dollars movies much more for starters. Everything he did was good though. Just my thoughts relative to all his amazing work. But it’s like not all of Beethoven’s symphonies can be the 3rd, 5th and 9th.

Last edited:

You're thinking about For a Few Dollars More

I need to watch more. I’ve liked the few I’ve seen, maybe I’ll give Jawan a spin.

If you're considering Jawan based on my recommendation, I'm obligated to mention that its populist politics are laid on pretty thick. They're an essential part of the plot but the references are groanworthy at times.

If you're considering Jawan based on my recommendation, I'm obligated to mention that its populist politics are laid on pretty thick. They're an essential part of the plot but the references are groanworthy at times.
Do you have a better rec that’s on Netflix and isn’t RRR?

You're thinking about For a Few Dollars More
Yep, thanks mixed up the title

Do you have a better rec that’s on Netflix and isn’t RRR?

Baahubali was pretty good but it's 5 1/2 hours over two parts. It comes from S.S. Rajamouli who went on to direct RRR but lacks the latter film's effervescence.

Delhi Belly has been out for a while and is more akin to the Hangover series than a typical Bollywood production.

I have so many Indian films in my Netflix watchlist that the algorithm keeps suggesting more. They're almost always long though as maximalist films tend to be so it takes some commitment to press play. Also, I can never get anyone else in the house to watch them with me.

Today is the 100th anniversary of the founding of Columbia Pictures. I might throw on a classic Columbia movie tonight, I’m thinking On the Waterfront.

5. Killers of the Flower Moon (2023)- For me this went by faster than Oppenheimer. It didn't feel overly long at all. I was always fully invested and it just kept rolling perfectly from one scene to the next. There are so many characters but it was always very easy to follow along. This is all especially impressive because it's a really tough movie to watch. There isn't a hell hot enough for some of these people. I don't know if this was the right way to tell the story but I am glad it was told. Stand outs: Thelma, Thelma, Thelma. The level of skill as an editor it takes to make a deeply tragic 206 minute historical movie that contains no real mystery or big set pieces be this enthralling is godlike. She's the best to ever do it.

4. Past Lives (2023)- I saw this in June and it's still lingering with me. It has a neat framing device: a couple see three people talking at the bar and wonder what their story is. We've all likely been in that situation making up scenarios for some strangers across the bar. In this case, the story of these 3 spans the globe, spans decades and spans language. This movie is so simple and beautiful. Standouts: The writing from first time writer-director Celine Song. So mature and thoughtful. No cheap angles. She treats all her characters with respect and allows them each to be great people in their own ways.

You make my world so much bigger and I'm wondering if I do the same for you?

3. Prisoners (2013)- Talk about a edge of your seat, white knuckle can't take your eyes off the screen thriller. A bleak black hole of a film. Are we sure Denis Villeneuve isn't the greatest "contemporary" director? This is a premise done a million times before: a kid goes missing and the dad isn't happy with the response from the police so he takes the investigation into his own hands. But I promise that set-up has never been done better or this dark. Stand outs: Paul Dano and Jake Gyllenhaal are naturals for this kind of weirdo **** but you know who gives an unhinged performance and I never expected he had it in him? The Greatest Showman himself, Hugh Jackman. I wish he would do more roles like this. He's scary here.

2. Aftersun (2022)- This is a tough movie to recommend because I know for many, it would be labeled like paint drying but this movie burrowed into my soul. If you are a "girl dad" then this probably is way more affective. Or if you had a dad who wasn't really around, it might be extra powerful. Or if you've lost a parent, it might really touch you. None of those really apply to me but, there's just something about this. A young woman watches old film of a childhood vacation with her dad while filling in the blanks with her memory. I was gripped in this, never even had the urge to look at my phone once and felt like every human emotion possible. It hacked my brain. Stand outs: Paul Mescal and little Frankie Corio are just so cute together- it's tragic magic.

1. Something Wild (1986)- Wild is the exact right word here. Jeff Daniels is stuffy yuppie who's life gets turned upside down when a wild girl played by Melanie Griffith falls for him and refuses to take any of his typical 9 to 5 excuses. It's a really good odd couple rom-comish movie until the middle when Griffith's ex shows up and it's an explosive Ray Liotta. He hijacks the movie and slams on the gas pedal. Stand outs: The three leads are great, especially Liotta in his breakout role but Jonathan Demme deserves a ton of credit here. The movie looks and sounds cool. Not everything needs to be soul crushing or thought provoking, sometimes it just needs to be fun.

Last edited:
3. Prisoners (2013)- Talk about a edge of your seat, white knuckle can't take your eyes off the screen thriller. A bleak black hole of a film. Are we sure Denis Villeneuve isn't the greatest "contemporary" director? This is a premise done a million times before: a kid goes missing and the dad isn't happy with the response from the police so he takes the investigation into his own hands. But I promise that set-up has never been done better or this dark. Stand outs: Paul Dano and Jake Gyllenhaal are naturals for this kind of weirdo **** but you know who gives an unhinged performance and I never expected he had it in him? The Greatest Showman himself, Hugh Jackman. I wish he would do more roles like this. He's scary here.
I remember stumbling on this years ago and was blown away by it. Agree about Dano, Gyllenhaal and Jackman.

Last edited:
My fear with Villeneuve is he gets stuck in a rut of doing franchises and reboots. Or at least if he is doing them, please do the one on my wishlist: The Running Man.
He did Blade Runner 2049 as practice for doing Dune, the latter being his childhood dream.

If you haven't, watch Enemy. You won't need drugs, it'll feel like you did without them.

Users who are viewing this thread