What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recruiter verifying Business Refernces (1 Viewer)

Grey Pilgrim

Lurker Extraordinare
Question to any recruiters/head hunters in the FBG Faithful. 

I went on an interview last week.  Went great.  Company called the recruiter that I went through and asked them to verify my business references (so they're interested).  Only issue is that most of my business references are at least a few years old.  I've been at my current position for a few years and haven't needed to update them in quite some time. 

Unfortunately, most of the reference information I had was all company email and telephone numbers.  I'm now learning that my references don't work at that old company any more so there's really no way to get in touch with them.

Recruiter said that if an offer comes in from the new place, it might be held up due to not being able to verify references... 

Is this correct?  I would think the recruiter would want to 'make the sale' here.  I've had at least one reference come through good but I can't believe the recruiter would hold up an offer because they want more references... 

Has anyone had any experience with this?  I sort of just want to call the recruiter up and tell them if they want to make the sale to just deal with it.  It shouldn't be that big of a deal...

TIA

GP

That's kind of what I figured.  I realize recruiters have a reputation to protect and so don't want to be pimping out recruits that will reflect badly on them but these folks have met me.  I've talked with them on more than a couple of occasions.  The company I interviewed at liked me and at least one of the references came back good so what else do you really need at this point??

As an employer, unless the reference is a person at the company you worked for a wouldn’t be calling them, and even in that case, I may not talk to that person. You get a truer picture by talking to others than just the “named” references. Sure sometimes you hit a dead end but many times you end up with more info even if it’s oftentimes based on less words being spoken. 

Question to any recruiters/head hunters in the FBG Faithful. 

I went on an interview last week.  Went great.  Company called the recruiter that I went through and asked them to verify my business references (so they're interested).  Only issue is that most of my business references are at least a few years old.  I've been at my current position for a few years and haven't needed to update them in quite some time. 

Unfortunately, most of the reference information I had was all company email and telephone numbers.  I'm now learning that my references don't work at that old company any more so there's really no way to get in touch with them.

Recruiter said that if an offer comes in from the new place, it might be held up due to not being able to verify references... 

Is this correct?  I would think the recruiter would want to 'make the sale' here.  I've had at least one reference come through good but I can't believe the recruiter would hold up an offer because they want more references... 

Has anyone had any experience with this?  I sort of just want to call the recruiter up and tell them if they want to make the sale to just deal with it.  It shouldn't be that big of a deal...

TIA

GP
Depends on the level of risk willing to be assumed by the company.

Presuming you're not interviewing for a national security or similar position I'd think one or two references would suffice. 

I do know many bar applications are delayed if references are unavailable. I'd assume the same holds true for other fields in a position of trust or sensitive positions

Last edited by a moderator:
True.  I know when I was hiring I didn't even really worry about references.  Those are too easy to fabricate.  I mainly concentrated on the actual interview interaction.

But my question was mostly from the recruiter's stand point.  For them to tell me that an offer might be held up because they couldn't verify all of my references was surprising to the point of comical. 

True.  I know when I was hiring I didn't even really worry about references.  Those are too easy to fabricate.  I mainly concentrated on the actual interview interaction.

But my question was mostly from the recruiter's stand point.  For them to tell me that an offer might be held up because they couldn't verify all of my references was surprising to the point of comical. 
Agreed, again unless it's that sensitive a position.

Lol, it's not.  Just a run of the mill credit manager position at a manufacturing company.  It just happens to be 30 miles closer to my house and paying a good bit better than the one I have now.

I think the recruiter might have meant not being able to verify references may hold up an offer from the company where you interviewed. I don't see why the recruiter would care.

Well the company requested that the recruiter verify references.  I would think the recruiter would rubber-stamp that if they wanted to make the sale regardless if they actually could verify them all.

I don't know how much recruiters make when they place a recruit but if I was a recruiter and could verify one or two references to make sure the recruit wasn't a closet psycho or something , I'd go ahead and push it through.

Lol, it's not.  Just a run of the mill credit manager position at a manufacturing company.  It just happens to be 30 miles closer to my house and paying a good bit better than the one I have now.
Just accommodate the recruiter the best you can then. If it’s a job you’re interested in then jump through the hoops. How hard is it to give them a few more names?

Well the company requested that the recruiter verify references.  I would think the recruiter would rubber-stamp that if they wanted to make the sale regardless if they actually could verify them all.

I don't know how much recruiters make when they place a recruit but if I was a recruiter and could verify one or two references to make sure the recruit wasn't a closet psycho or something , I'd go ahead and push it through.
Not sure if it’s the same across the board but I think they typically get 20% of whatever your salary is (assuming you last for 90 days or whatever the agreement is)

my guess is he isn’t willing to stick his neck out because if he doesn’t fill it with you he’ll fill it with the next candidate 

Grey Pilgrim said:

While the recruiter wants the sale, he/she also wants to place somebody that's a win for the company.  Then the company will want to use them again and again.  Vetting references are part of the process.  Most recruiters I use give me full write ups of the references.  It's not just a thumbs up or thumbs down.  Far from a rubber stamp.  Your references are part of your professional network.  A big part.  Cultivate them.

Are you sure they just dont want to verify employment?

My experience with recruiters who want business references - they want to name-drop your name with your references to drum up more potential business.  Just my 2 cents. 

Are you not on LinkedIn?  This is critical in maintaining contact with potential references.  Can you give the recruiter different names?

Is the company running a background check or is the recruiter?

Users who are viewing this thread