What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Red Sox quit? (2 Viewers)

I think the Sox might have been serious contenders last season if they had signed Pedro. Maybe his contract wasn't a good one for three or four years, but repeating as World Series champions takes a few sacrifices here and there.

That's the front office's biggest mistake thus far, so far as I can tell.
I disagree for a few reasons. First, they made him a very good offer. Generally, the thinking is that no matter how much they offered him, the Mets would've upped it. The Sox offered him a generous 3 year offer of 17 million per. The Mets then just added on the 4th year. Secondly, it looks like they could be right. Pedro is in the 2nd year of his contract, and he's already showing signs of breaking down (on the DL right now, I believe).

The mistake the Sox made was with who they chose to replace Pedro, not letting him walk, IMO.
The Sox front office tried to get too cute with the money. All we heard this past offseason was how much Damon's contract will hurt them 3 years from now when he starts slowing down. If the Sox had confidence in their young arms (which I am assuming they do), Rameriez and Ortiz they could have given the money to Damon and Martinez, had them be good players for the past year, this year and the next and then have them go on their merry way. The young arms would be under contract for a while and would be asking for bigger oney when Damon and Martinez were coming off the books. Instead they used the money to sign Clement (bum) and Beckett (very close to bum status).
The young arms have nothing to do with Damon. The fact is they didn't think Damon was worth the money he got - not in the short-term, and certainly not in the long-term. Just because it would come off the books around the time when some of the young guys are up for contracts doesn't mean anything - the point is Damon, they thought, was going to be a financial albatross around their neck in the final 2 years of his deal.

To address the Pedro issue:

Would you rather have a couple solid seasons out of Pedro, followed by a couple of broken down seasons

OR

Four years of the likes of Clement, Wells, etc. as his replacement at the same price?

I'll take the former.

I think the Sox might have been serious contenders last season if they had signed Pedro. Maybe his contract wasn't a good one for three or four years, but repeating as World Series champions takes a few sacrifices here and there.

I disagree for a few reasons. First, they made him a very good offer. Generally, the thinking is that no matter how much they offered him, the Mets would've upped it. The Sox offered him a generous 3 year offer of 17 million per. The Mets then just added on the 4th year. Secondly, it looks like they could be right. Pedro is in the 2nd year of his contract, and he's already showing signs of breaking down (on the DL right now, I believe).

The mistake the Sox made was with who they chose to replace Pedro, not letting him walk, IMO.
The Sox front office tried to get too cute with the money. All we heard this past offseason was how much Damon's contract will hurt them 3 years from now when he starts slowing down. If the Sox had confidence in their young arms (which I am assuming they do), Rameriez and Ortiz they could have given the money to Damon and Martinez, had them be good players for the past year, this year and the next and then have them go on their merry way. The young arms would be under contract for a while and would be asking for bigger oney when Damon and Martinez were coming off the books. Instead they used the money to sign Clement (bum) and Beckett (very close to bum status).
The young arms have nothing to do with Damon. The fact is they didn't think Damon was worth the money he got - not in the short-term, and certainly not in the long-term. Just because it would come off the books around the time when some of the young guys are up for contracts doesn't mean anything - the point is Damon, they thought, was going to be a financial albatross around their neck in the final 2 years of his deal.
Obviously the RedSox think they have a certain amount of money to work with so money given to Damon might affect the future contracts of the young arms. My point about the RedSox is that having Damon under contract for 4 (or 5 years) is worth it if he gives you two or three years of Damon-esque play as long as it doesn't affect the future contracts of their young arms. That's why I feel the RedSox got too cute with their money. They opted to let a guy ( who was the catalyst for the offense and a fan favorite) go for a little bit of money that wouldn't have affected the contracts of Papelbon, Lester, Hansen and Delcarmen. So Damon (allegedly, since Epstein and Co. do not have a crystal ball to see the future) isn't quite the player he was for the last year or two of his contract? Having him this year and next would make this team better. The same goes with Pedro. Granted Pedro might have been more difficult to sign...but I would wager that the 05 and 06 Sox would have been a better team with him......instead of stiffs like Clement and Beckett.

To address the Pedro issue:Would you rather have a couple solid seasons out of Pedro, followed by a couple of broken down seasonsORFour years of the likes of Clement, Wells, etc. as his replacement at the same price?I'll take the former.
Exactly...... give Pedro the money that Wells, Clement, Beckett received and have him pitch until his arm falls off. By then, Lester, Papelbon, Delcarmen and Hansen should arrive.

Obviously the RedSox think they have a certain amount of money to work with so money given to Damon might affect the future contracts of the young arms. My point about the RedSox is that having Damon under contract for 4 (or 5 years) is worth it if he gives you two or three years of Damon-esque play as long as it doesn't affect the future contracts of their young arms. That's why I feel the RedSox got too cute with their money. They opted to let a guy ( who was the catalyst for the offense and a fan favorite) go for a little bit of money that wouldn't have affected the contracts of Papelbon, Lester, Hansen and Delcarmen. So Damon (allegedly, since Epstein and Co. do not have a crystal ball to see the future) isn't quite the player he was for the last year or two of his contract? Having him this year and next would make this team better. The same goes with Pedro. Granted Pedro might have been more difficult to sign...but I would wager that the 05 and 06 Sox would have been a better team with him......instead of stiffs like Clement and Beckett.
I know what you're saying - that it doesn't really "matter" that you have to give Damon big money in years that he will be not the same player as long as that money is free in time for the "young arms". What I'm saying to you is just because you don't have to spend money on those young arms doesn't mean spending it on 2 dead years with Damon is a good way to spend it. The Red Sox feel that that money can be better allocated then overpaying an aging guy like Damon or Pedro.And saying that the money is better spent on Pedro than Wells and Clement is obviously true NOW, but that is hindsight. I agree that when you let a guy like Pedro walk, you sure as hell better spend the money he leaves behind on something good to replace him. The Red Sox chose poorly - THAT's the problem - not that they let Pedro walk, but that they didn't spend the money effectively. If Clement came here and put it all together and managed a 3.50 in the American League (like he's capabale of with the stuff he's got) and won 18-20 games playing behind one of the best offenses in the game, then there wouldn't be a lot of Pedro talk.

But that's not what happened - they let Pedro walk, and Clement was a bust. What you and other people are saying is that the FIRST part is the problem - what I'm saying to you is that I think that the SECOND part is the problem.

.But that's not what happened - they let Pedro walk, and Clement was a bust. What you and other people are saying is that the FIRST part is the problem - what I'm saying to you is that I think that the SECOND part is the problem.
The second part is only the problem because Pedro is such a difficult pitcher to replace. They didn't evaluate it correctly and let the wrong guy walk.You act like the two parts are not related when they absolutely are.

.But that's not what happened - they let Pedro walk, and Clement was a bust. What you and other people are saying is that the FIRST part is the problem - what I'm saying to you is that I think that the SECOND part is the problem.
The second part is only the problem because Pedro is such a difficult pitcher to replace. They didn't evaluate it correctly and let the wrong guy walk.You act like the two parts are not related when they absolutely are.
it's like when people say "it's not the tax cuts, it's the spending."it's both

They may have quit, but they will end up the year having missed varying amounts of time from:- Varitek- Manny- Ortiz- Nixon- Crisp- Pena- Gonzalez- Wakefield- Foulke- Clement- Wells- LesterIt's hard to win when half your team gets banged up. Not saying that that's a legit excuse, but they really haven't been graced with good health much this year.
The Yankees have had their share of big losses as well. Sheffield, Matsui, Cano for a while, etc. I don't think that you can use this as a legitimate excuse. Especially since they've had Manny and Ortiz for most of the year until after the 5 game sweep.

They may have quit, but they will end up the year having missed varying amounts of time from:- Varitek- Manny- Ortiz- Nixon- Crisp- Pena- Gonzalez- Wakefield- Foulke- Clement- Wells- LesterIt's hard to win when half your team gets banged up. Not saying that that's a legit excuse, but they really haven't been graced with good health much this year.
The Yankees have had their share of big losses as well. Sheffield, Matsui, Cano for a while, etc. I don't think that you can use this as a legitimate excuse. Especially since they've had Manny and Ortiz for most of the year until after the 5 game sweep.
The Yankees' injuries at starting pitcher last year (2005) were downright absurd (they had exactly 2 pitchers start more than 17 games), and they still won the division.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Yankees' injuries at starting pitcher last year (2005) were downright absurd (they had exactly 2 pitchers start more than 17 games), and they still won the division.
:goodposting:

Maybe you missed the 'not saying that that's a legitmate excuse' part dumb###

Even after all this, though, I still don't think the season is over. There's a lot of baseball left, the Yankees can get complacent when they're overconfident, and there's still a late season series between the two. I'm not saying it'll happen, but I haven't thrown in the towel. They just need something to break right for them soon, and that definitely hasn't happened recently.
So, does this means the Jays still have a chance? :unsure:

When only some of the above list were out the Sox were in first place. With almost ALL of the above list out the Sox have gone what, 8-20 in August? Manny has been banged up much of the season but played anyway. Ortiz has missed the least amount of games but probably had the biggest single impact when he's been out. Again, you need to win some games no matter who is out, but with 3 OF, a MVP caliber DH, SS, C, 4 starting pitchers (basically anyone after Schilling and Beckett), and your closer to start the season all out--playing even .500 ball is unlikely. That's almost half the roster out at the same time. True, the Yanks had Shef, Matsui, Cano, and Pavano out (I'm leaving out Dotel as he was hurt to begin with) but that's not the quantity of players out as the Sox have had.

And now there are reports that Jon Lester has a lymph node problem and is being tested for cancer.

This isn't an injury bug, it's an injury buffalo.

The problem with the injuries is that they came after the Yankees series. Even at 6.5 back, the Yankees have struggled since the 5-game sweep, losing 5 of their last 8. If the Sox weren't totally decimated by injuries in the past week and a half, they could have gotten within shouting distance.

The problem with the injuries is that they came after the Yankees series. Even at 6.5 back, the Yankees have struggled since the 5-game sweep, losing 5 of their last 8. If the Sox weren't totally decimated by injuries in the past week and a half, they could have gotten within shouting distance.
They probably shouldn't have lost all 5 of those to the Yankees if they wanted to win the division.

Users who are viewing this thread