What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redemption for Roethlisberger tomorrow? (1 Viewer)

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
I think everyone remembers how poorly Roethlisberger played in the Steelers 21-10 win in Super Bowl XL, which many have focused on a reason to say he is still not that good or merely a game-manager or whatever, obviously ignoring how well he played in the three AFC playoff games leading up to that Super Bowl. Without his great play, they are not in Super Bowl XL.

All of that aside, while he has moments of inconsistency, and he definitely makes some questionable throws at times, I think Roethlisberger has proven to be a very good NFL QB.

Now, with the Super Bowl on tap tomorrow, for his rep, I think the Steelers not only need to win, but Roethlisberger needs to play well. He needs to have good numbers, and he needs to be a major reason why they win. If he plays an okay game, and the defense dominates, in route to a 23-10 win or something like that, some people will continue to dog him.

Personally, I will be rooting for the Cardinals, but if the Steelers do win, I hope Roethlisberger has a huge game.

An excellent Super Bowl performance is what he needs to silence the critics once and for all (besides the ones who will hate on him no matter what).

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were starting a new NFL franchise, and I could have my pick of any QB in the NFL not named Brady or Manning, I'm taking Roethlisberger with no questions asked regardless of how he performs tomorrow.

And I'm a Jets fan. Not a Steelers homer.

I really don't think he (or anyone else) ultimately cares how he performs as long as the team wins.

what if he has a sensational game, but Warner matches his game and the Cards win it on the final drive with a last second FG? you think any Steeler fan or critic is going to say, "It's ok the Steelers lost. I'm just happy Roethlisberger had a great game in the Super Bowl. He finally got that monkey off his back".

Ben has always choked in big games. The guy is good at riding the defense and handing off the football if you ask him to do too much he doesnt have the mental toughness to get it done for you.

I think everyone remembers how poorly Roethlisberger played in the Steelers 21-10 win in Super Bowl XL, which many have focused on a reason to say he is still not that good or merely a game-manager or whatever, obviously ignoring how well he played in the three AFC playoff games leading up to that Super Bowl. Without his great play, they are not in Super Bowl XL. All of that aside, while he has moments of inconsistency, and he definitely makes some questionable throws at times, I think Roethlisberger has proven to be a very good NFL QB. Now, with the Super Bowl on tap tomorrow, for his rep, I think the Steelers not only need to win, but Roethlisberger needs to play well. He needs to have good numbers, and he needs to be a major reason why they win. If he plays an okay game, and the defense dominates, in route to a 23-10 win or something like that, some people will continue to dog him. Personally, I will be rooting for the Cardinals, but if the Steelers do win, I hope Roethlisberger has a huge game. An excellent Super Bowl performance is what he needs to silence the critics once and for all (besides the ones who will hate on him no matter what).
There is no doubt in my mind that he is a very good NFL QB. I don't think he has anything to prove in that regard.However, there is also no doubt in my mind that Pitt doesn't reach either of these super bowls without the defense, and that the defense is an infinitely more important part of this team than Roethlisberger is.

Ben has always choked in big games. The guy is good at riding the defense and handing off the football if you ask him to do too much he doesnt have the mental toughness to get it done for you.
The conference championship against Denver doesn't count as a big game? (He was 21/29 for 275 yards, 2 TD and 0 INT). He's done fine this off-season, too.

Wow, I think this guy is serious. Most wins in the history of the NFL of any QB in the first 5 years of their career, second trip to the SB. :excited:

I think everyone remembers how poorly Roethlisberger played in the Steelers 21-10 win in Super Bowl XL, which many have focused on a reason to say he is still not that good or merely a game-manager or whatever, obviously ignoring how well he played in the three AFC playoff games leading up to that Super Bowl. Without his great play, they are not in Super Bowl XL.
I disagree with the premise.I don't think anybody but the most hardcore football fans (like all of us posting on a fantasy football message board when the fantasy season is all but over) remember how poorly Ben played in that game. He was the QB for the Superbowl winning team and irregardless that his best play in the game was a shoestring tackle, for most of the casual fans out there that puts him tied with Payton Manning in terms of post-season success.

Edit to add: See the above post for most people's inability to separate a QBs performance vs his teams success.

The conference championship against Denver doesn't count as a big game? (He was 21/29 for 275 yards, 2 TD and 0 INT). He's done fine this off-season, too.
You mean he didn't crash his bike without a helmet or anything? :excited:

I really don't think he (or anyone else) ultimately cares how he performs as long as the team wins.

what if he has a sensational game, but Warner matches his game and the Cards win it on the final drive with a last second FG? you think any Steeler fan or critic is going to say, "It's ok the Steelers lost. I'm just happy Roethlisberger had a great game in the Super Bowl. He finally got that monkey off his back".
I think that's pretty obvious. Roethlisberger would be very happy right now if you told him that tomorrow he would have four INTs and two fumbles, and Pittsburgh would win 21-20 on the strength of three defensive TDs. Every player would rather have a terrible game and see his team win than a great game and see his team lose. That said, Roethlisberger's reputation as an elite QB depends on what he does, not what his team does. You'd be silly to view Ben as a better QB in the hypo I just gave than if he loses 45-42, while throwing 30/36 for 400 yards and six TDs. When you're talking about how good a player is, you look at how good the player played. When you're the player, or a fan of the team the player is on, you care about winning.

I think that's pretty obvious. Roethlisberger would be very happy right now if you told him that tomorrow he would have four INTs and two fumbles, and Pittsburgh would win 21-20 on the strength of three defensive TDs. Every player would rather have a terrible game and see his team win than a great game and see his team lose.

That said, Roethlisberger's reputation as an elite QB depends on what he does, not what his team does. You'd be silly to view Ben as a better QB in the hypo I just gave than if he loses 45-42, while throwing 30/36 for 400 yards and six TDs. When you're talking about how good a player is, you look at how good the player played. When you're the player, or a fan of the team the player is on, you care about winning.
There's this guy named TO that might disagree.

And his numbers don't even do justice to just how dominant he was in that game. He made a ton of great plays outside of the pocket and converted seemingly every third down attempt that Pitt had. It was a very frustrating 3 hours for me.

Wow, I think this guy is serious. Most wins in the history of the NFL of any QB in the first 5 years of their career, second trip to the SB. :confused:
Second most wins. Brady has 14, Ben has 8 as of now. Just correcting the facts. I still think we'll keep Ben.

Wow, I think this guy is serious. Most wins in the history of the NFL of any QB in the first 5 years of their career, second trip to the SB. :confused:
Second most wins. Brady has 14, Ben has 8 as of now. Just correcting the facts. I still think we'll keep Ben.
Pretty sure he's referring to regular season wins.

I think that's pretty obvious. Roethlisberger would be very happy right now if you told him that tomorrow he would have four INTs and two fumbles, and Pittsburgh would win 21-20 on the strength of three defensive TDs. Every player would rather have a terrible game and see his team win than a great game and see his team lose.

That said, Roethlisberger's reputation as an elite QB depends on what he does, not what his team does. You'd be silly to view Ben as a better QB in the hypo I just gave than if he loses 45-42, while throwing 30/36 for 400 yards and six TDs. When you're talking about how good a player is, you look at how good the player played. When you're the player, or a fan of the team the player is on, you care about winning.
I don't think that's the case.

I don't think that's the case.
You do know that TO refers to Terrell Owens, right? :unsure:

Wow, I think this guy is serious. Most wins in the history of the NFL of any QB in the first 5 years of their career, second trip to the SB. :unsure:
yep:
Roethlisberger (51)Otto Graham (48)Dan Marino (48)Tom Brady (48)John Elway (46)

16 games or more over.500 through five seasons:

Code:
wins	gm	win%	>.500	48	  59	0.814	37	Otto Graham48	  62	0.774	34	Tom Brady51	  71	0.709	31	Ben Roethlisberger48	  69	0.696	27	Dan Marino46.5	68	0.684	25	John Elway34	  46	0.739	22	Jim McMahon42	  62	0.677	22	Mark Rypien43	  64	0.672	22	Donovan McNabb35	  49	0.714	21	Kurt Warner23	  28	0.821	18	Roger Staubach33	  48	0.781	18	Philip Rivers30.5	44	0.693	17	Pat Haden39	  61	0.639	17	Neil O'Donnell17	  18	0.944	16	Daryle Lamonica21	  26	0.808	16	Jack Kemp34	  52	0.654	16	Milt Plum39.5	63	0.627	16	Bernie Kosar

I think people are too harsh on Ben for that Superbowl performance, and that includes Ben himself. Not enough credit is ever given to the Seahawk defense, which played extremely well in that game. Other than FWP's one long run, for most of the game they shut down the running game completely, giving the Steelers lots of 2nd and 3rd and longs.

And everyone forgets the one clutch play that Big Ben did make. On 4th down and long in the 2nd quarter, he eluded tacklers and found Hines Ward on the one yard line, which led to the first touchdown. It was vintage Roethlisberger, and one of the biggest plays of his career.

I think people are too harsh on Ben for that Superbowl performance, and that includes Ben himself. Not enough credit is ever given to the Seahawk defense, which played extremely well in that game. Other than FWP's one long run, for most of the game they shut down the running game completely, giving the Steelers lots of 2nd and 3rd and longs.

And everyone forgets the one clutch play that Big Ben did make. On 4th down and long in the 2nd quarter, he eluded tacklers and found Hines Ward on the one yard line, which led to the first touchdown. It was vintage Roethlisberger, and one of the biggest plays of his career.
Which Super Bowl winning QB was worse?

Statistically? I'm sure none. But I'd take him over plenty of those guys.

NorrisB said:
:lmao:

thatguy said:
Black&Gold said:
Sheriff66 said:
NorrisB said:
Wow, I think this guy is serious. Most wins in the history of the NFL of any QB in the first 5 years of their career, second trip to the SB. :cry:
It's hard to be sure what his reference is. Ben has 7 playoff wins. Brady had 9 playoff wins through his first five seasons as a pro, and 10 playoff wins through his first five seasons as a starter. Brady does have 14 playoff wins in his complete career.

JMJ said:
If I were starting a new NFL franchise, and I could have my pick of any QB in the NFL not named Brady or Manning, I'm taking Roethlisberger with no questions asked regardless of how he performs tomorrow.And I'm a Jets fan. Not a Steelers homer.
So you'd take Eli over Ben?

If it was the worst performance by a SB winner how exactly are people too critical of it?

If it was the worst performance by a SB winner how exactly are people too critical of it?
Because they present it as too representative of his overall career. And also because, as I pointed out, there were moments in that game which WERE reflective of his career, in a good way.

In my observations over the years, there has been a general bias dismissing Ben's QB performance/success, for whatever reason. They always say he has a great rushing attack/great defense to support him, but many never evaluate, in any detail, his individual performance and what he ACTUALLY DOES WITH THE OPPORTUNITIES GIVEN. Stats are misleading, just because an offense is near the top statiscally in rushing, it doesn't necessarily mean they have a dominant running game, it could very well mean their passing game is such a threat that most D's will overplay the pass and "hope" they can stop the run. In the Steelers case, that's obviously Ben, the O is designed around him and FWP isn't a dominant threat in the running game.

Black&Gold said:
Sheriff66 said:
NorrisB said:
Wow, I think this guy is serious. Most wins in the history of the NFL of any QB in the first 5 years of their career, second trip to the SB. :lmao:
Wrong, Ben has 58 wins while Brady had 57, regular season and post season combined.

kevjones22 said:
Maybe he can win a 2nd legit championship tomorrow!
Fixed. Quit the spam about XL being illegitimate now, it's just silly at this point.

Chase Stuart said:
brednbuddah said:

I think that's pretty obvious. Roethlisberger would be very happy right now if you told him that tomorrow he would have four INTs and two fumbles, and Pittsburgh would win 21-20 on the strength of three defensive TDs. Every player would rather have a terrible game and see his team win than a great game and see his team lose. That said, Roethlisberger's reputation as an elite QB depends on what he does, not what his team does. You'd be silly to view Ben as a better QB in the hypo I just gave than if he loses 45-42, while throwing 30/36 for 400 yards and six TDs. When you're talking about how good a player is, you look at how good the player played. When you're the player, or a fan of the team the player is on, you care about winning.
If you look at it in that regard, which is what I guess the OP was asking, then yes, he needs to impressively lead his team to victory to be considered in the elite QB arguement. I think if he does go out there and shines today, you can begin to measure him against the elite QBs, it doesn't automatically make him an elite QB.

Chase Stuart said:
brednbuddah said:

If you look at it in that regard, which is what I guess the OP was asking, then yes, he needs to impressively lead his team to victory to be considered in the elite QB arguement. I think if he does go out there and shines today, you can begin to measure him against the elite QBs, it doesn't automatically make him an elite QB.
Does his 18 total and 5 4th quarter combacks this year count towards this "elite" QB status?

NorrisB said:
Wow, this might be the worst post I have ever read on here. Completely uneducated and unfounded.I've said it in about five other threads and I'll say it again. Ben will have a huge game (250 yd and 3 TD) and the Steelers will win 27-17 (maybe those weren't my exact numbers in other posts, but that's how I am feeling this morning).

brednbuddah said:
I don't that is necessarily true. Yes, winning is what he wants to do, first and foremost, but like any NFL player, the ego inside of him wants to be a big part of that win, and that means playing well. Nothing wrong with that. That only makes him human.
thatguy said:
CalBear said:
NorrisB said:
And his numbers don't even do justice to just how dominant he was in that game. He made a ton of great plays outside of the pocket and converted seemingly every third down attempt that Pitt had. It was a very frustrating 3 hours for me.
Tell me about it. :thumbdown:

NorrisB said:
Wow, this might be the worst post I have ever read on here. Completely uneducated and unfounded.I've said it in about five other threads and I'll say it again. Ben will have a huge game (250 yd and 3 TD) and the Steelers will win 27-17 (maybe those weren't my exact numbers in other posts, but that's how I am feeling this morning).
Why even respond to this clown? Just another jealous hater. Go Steelers baby!!!

brednbuddah said:
I don't that is necessarily true. Yes, winning is what he wants to do, first and foremost, but like any NFL player, the ego inside of him wants to be a big part of that win, and that means playing well. Nothing wrong with that. That only makes him human.
thatguy said:
CalBear said:
NorrisB said:
Tell me about it. ;)
:thumbdown: ........Ben definitely cares about his performance today. Even if the Steelers win, he will not be satisfied unless he has a good game.

Chase Stuart said:
brednbuddah said:

Does his 18 total and 5 4th quarter combacks this year count towards this "elite" QB status?
certainly. For example, when compared to a truly elite QB, such as John Elway, whose 47 4th quarter comeback average is just under 3 per season over his 16 year career, Ben's average is acutally better, little over 3.5. However, Elway gets the edge when it comes to motorcycles link :lmao:

Here's today's nominee for the Dead Wrong In Public award.

BOOO YYAAHHH.. in your face.. LOOKS like he got it dont tonight.. no running game and defense didnt play well.. big ben and holmes were monsters!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread