What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redskins and the Rooney Rule (1 Viewer)

. . .except that my original post was not "uninformed."
This part was certainly uniformed. It looks like you had no clue how many head coaching interviews he's had and just made it up to make your point.
But he's been to this rodeo before. How much more "experience" does he need from this bogus, courtesy-oriented, going through the motions nonsense? It seems like whenever there is a "done deal" with a particular coach already earmarked for a team, Gray is the designated "go to" token applicant.
I think it's safe to say that Gray has been to more than a couple of HC interviews now, college and pro. He's between a rock and a hard place. If he chooses not to interview, he may be seen as uninterested in becoming a head coach. If he chooses to interview and there's already been an implicit agreement with another HC, it also looks bad. We don't know if he's been invited to interview in the past but turned down the offer to do so because he viewed it as pointless. My point is he seems to be a convenient invitee, but is he a true contender?

Last edited by a moderator:
Obie Wan said:
Say what you want about the rule, it has sped up the inevitable. There will always be cases where a coach has already been picked, regardless of the coach's race. But Mike Tomlin won the Pittsburgh job in the interview, Rooney said it himself, and who know's if he gets that interview without the rule.
Actually Russ Grimm won the job in the interview.Too bad for him the league pressured the Steelers to renege on Grimm and give the job to a black guy

- since the Rooney Rule was named after him and all
:goodposting:

I have a problem with the personal attacks being made against Dan Snyder! Everybodys a ####in mind reader these days! There is no reason at all that Jerry Gray couldn't wind up as the next coach here! Shanahan is a possibility and nothing more, just like Gray. Snyder is a great owner in my opinion and my opinion is just as good as anybody elses. And I'm not fond of racism so he's sure as hell a seeming improvement over the last documented racist owner, Jack Kent Cooke.

As far as the Rooney rule goes, I'm in favor of anything that makes an attempt to rectify the injustices of the past. That's a nice thing to do; help out the under-privelaged. Yea sure there are plenty of under-privelaged white guys in the U.S. but gimme a break, do a little reading and learn about the countrys history regarding the systemic mistreatment of black guys. And if somebody discriminating against white guys getting their fair shake then somebody needs to speak up for them too, but don't just say that all rules regarding race are useless. Good people end up getting screwed when we just ignore problems. The rule isn't perfect but I think it's ok for a start.

I have a problem with the personal attacks being made against Dan Snyder! Everybodys a ####in mind reader these days! There is no reason at all that Jerry Gray couldn't wind up as the next coach here! Shanahan is a possibility and nothing more, just like Gray. Snyder is a great owner in my opinion and my opinion is just as good as anybody elses. And I'm not fond of racism so he's sure as hell a seeming improvement over the last documented racist owner, Jack Kent Cooke. As far as the Rooney rule goes, I'm in favor of anything that makes an attempt to rectify the injustices of the past. That's a nice thing to do; help out the under-privelaged. Yea sure there are plenty of under-privelaged white guys in the U.S. but gimme a break, do a little reading and learn about the countrys history regarding the systemic mistreatment of black guys. And if somebody discriminating against white guys getting their fair shake then somebody needs to speak up for them too, but don't just say that all rules regarding race are useless. Good people end up getting screwed when we just ignore problems. The rule isn't perfect but I think it's ok for a start.
Please change your username to Maroon & Mustard to properly refer to your true colors.Thank you.

I have a problem with the personal attacks being made against Dan Snyder! Everybodys a ####in mind reader these days! There is no reason at all that Jerry Gray couldn't wind up as the next coach here! Shanahan is a possibility and nothing more, just like Gray. Snyder is a great owner in my opinion and my opinion is just as good as anybody elses. And I'm not fond of racism so he's sure as hell a seeming improvement over the last documented racist owner, Jack Kent Cooke.

As far as the Rooney rule goes, I'm in favor of anything that makes an attempt to rectify the injustices of the past. That's a nice thing to do; help out the under-privelaged. Yea sure there are plenty of under-privelaged white guys in the U.S. but gimme a break, do a little reading and learn about the countrys ;) history regarding the systemic mistreatment of black guys. And if somebody discriminating against white guys getting their fair shake then somebody needs to speak up for them too, but don't just say that all rules regarding race are useless. Good people end up getting screwed when we just ignore problems. The rule isn't perfect but I think it's ok for a start.
You sure know your Redskins history!

Obie Wan said:
Actually Russ Grimm won the job in the interview.Too bad for him the league pressured the Steelers to renege on Grimm and give the job to a black guy- since the Rooney Rule was named after him and all
That's a pretty bold statement to make without providing any sort of corroboration. Would you please post some sort of evidence?

Hey fissure man, what are you some kind of a ####in idiot or something? Why don't you grow up? I know all about Redskin history. And I still choose to be a fan of 'The Burgundy and Gold'! Just like I know U.S. history and choose to remain a loyal citizen. Just like I know human history and I choose not to off myself.

*Better yet, I read some of the postings in the SP and still choose to remain a FootballGuy!

Good people end up getting screwed when we just ignore problems. The rule isn't perfect but I think it's ok for a start.
Good people also get screwed when we make rules to correct our problems, it's just a different group of good people.General rule of life: No matter what you do someone is always gonna get screwed.

Hey fissure man, what are you some kind of a ####in idiot or something? Why don't you grow up? I know all about Redskin history. And I still choose to be a fan of 'The Burgundy and Gold'! Just like I know U.S. history and choose to remain a loyal citizen. Just like I know human history and I choose not to off myself.

*Better yet, I read some of the postings in the SP and still choose to remain a FootballGuy!
So knowing everything about them, you're still a fan? That doesn't come off like a ringing endorsement.Oh, and George Preston Marshall was the racist Redskins owner you were attempting to refer to. Let me know if you need anymore help with your teams history. I'd even be glad to inform you who originally held the rights to your fight song.

So knowing everything about them, you're still a fan? That doesn't come off like a ringing endorsement.Oh, and George Preston Marshall was the racist Redskins owner you were attempting to refer to. Let me know if you need anymore help with your teams history. I'd even be glad to inform you who originally held the rights to your fight song.
Hey I never asked for your help with anything guy. And I know exactly what owner I was referring to, Jack Kent Cooke. Now don't you feel like a total idiot. If you don't, you should.

1. My tag and affiliation setting are ringing endorsement enuff.2. Who requested your help? Not me.

3. I was referring to Jack Kent Cooke you, complete, imbecile!

1. My tag and affiliation setting are ringing endorsement enuff.2. Who requested your help? Not me.

Thanks for taking the heat off me on this thread. If not for Snyder, Spurrier may have never become the Gamecocks' coach.

Obie Wan said:
What constitutes a minority?

Would interviewing a Jew satisfy the rule? No

Religious minorities?No.

Would interviewing a person of Hispanic descent still satisfy the rule in California?Yes, or anywhere else.

What about a woman?Yes.

How about a person of mixed race (1/2 white), would you have to interview two of them to satisfy the rule?No.
Say what you want about the rule, it has sped up the inevitable. There will always be cases where a coach has already been picked, regardless of the coach's race. But Mike Tomlin won the Pittsburgh job in the interview, Rooney said it himself, and who know's if he gets that interview without the rule.
Actually Russ Grimm won the job in the interview.Too bad for him the league pressured the Steelers to renege on Grimm and give the job to a black guy- since the Rooney Rule was named after him and all
The biggest problem with Rooney is junk like this (and other BS that I have read in this thread). At no point do some people actually consider that if the black candidate does actually interview well and perform well once the job is earned that it is on a level playing field. I mean no matter how good the situation was in Pittsburgh, Tomlin did win a Superbowl which only a handful of other coaches (regardless of race) have done. This at least means he was at least smart enough not to screw things up, which there is not a guarantee that Russ Grimm would done equally. The real point is that at the end of the day, if more people (of all races) looked a candidate based on his or her merits versus already have assumptions built in their minds, then of course the rule would not be needed. As long as people assume, that any black guy who happens to get a job over a white is getting it because of Rooney or Affirmative Action versus his own merits, then you are actually justifying why we need the darn thing in the first palce. I know it is tough for some people, but there are blacks who interview well, are experienced, qualiified and "gasp" are better than the white candidates for the job in question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obie Wan said:

Religious minorities?No.

Would interviewing a person of Hispanic descent still satisfy the rule in California?Yes, or anywhere else.

What about a woman?Yes.

How about a person of mixed race (1/2 white), would you have to interview two of them to satisfy the rule?No.
The biggest problem with Rooney is junk like this (and other BS that I have read in this thread). At no point do some people actually consider that if the black candidate does actually interview well and perform well once the job is earned that it is on a level playing field. I mean no matter how good the situation was in Pittsburgh, Tomlin did win a Superbowl which only a handful of other coaches (regardless of race) have done. This at least means he was at least smart enough not to screw things up, which there is not a guarantee that Russ Grimm would done equally. The real point is that at the end of the day, if more people (of all races) looked a candidate based on his or her merits versus already have assumptions built in their minds, then of course the rule would not be needed. As long as people assume, that any black guy who happens to get a job over a white is getting it because of Rooney or Affirmative Action versus his own merits, then you are actually justifying why we need the darn thing in the first palce. I know it is tough for some people, but there are blacks who interview well, are experienced, qualiified and "gasp" are better than the white candidates for the job in question.
:banned: This is why I am so happy to see Tomlin, Singletary, and even Lovie Smith do well in recent years. I would much rather see a good, proven coordinator, regardless of race, get jobs over the proven inept, retread coaches. There are bad coaches of all races and the good showing helps (imo) overshadowsthe poor coaching of Herm Edwards and the ilk. I still think we are five or ten years away from getting to the point of finding the most qualified coach with no questions of race or anything else.To me, the Redskins did a disservice to everyone involved in this instance. If they really cared about this assistant, or thought he was a realistic candidate, they would not have asked him to interview during the season. They put him in a bad spot It was not fair to Zorn or the players, either. This is just selfishness by the Skins, wanting to be able to hire Shanahan before any one else and this is one hurdle out of the way.

Obie Wan said:

Religious minorities?No.

What about a woman?Yes.

I will also :unsure: this.Talk to any Minnesota Vikings fan about Tomlin and you'll find out how great of a coach he is. He came in and turned a bottom 5 defense into a top 10 defense and one of the best run stoppers in the league. As his last year in Minnesota came close to ending every Viking fan knew he was gone and dreaded the future. Most of us were wishing management was wise enough to see that he, not Childress was the coach worth keeping around. He was definitely qualified to be a head coach and his interview only cemented that fact.

:pickle: :D :)

As long as people assume, that any black guy who happens to get a job over a white is getting it because of Rooney or Affirmative Action versus his own merits, then you are actually justifying why we need the darn thing in the first palce. I know it is tough for some people, but there are blacks who interview well, are experienced, qualiified and "gasp" are better than the white candidates for the job in question.
Not picking a fight but as long as affirmative action exists it will engender these types of feelings. At its core favoring one group over another is fundamentally unfair. It is what it is, and it applies on both sides of the debate. Without affirmitive action minorities feel (I recognize the generalization that may not be true) the majority is receiving unfair preference. That may be true, but impossible to prove. With affirmitive action the majority will inevitably feel (again, generalization) the minority is receiving unfair preference. That may also be true, and again impossible to prove. Our society has embraced affirmitive action, so the focus shifts to the latter.Bottom line, do the benefits of affirmitive action outweigh the damage that it causes? The biggest question is when do you reach the point where affirmitive action should go away?

Talk to any Minnesota Vikings fan about Tomlin and you'll find out how great of a coach he is. He came in and turned a bottom 5 defense into a top 10 defense and one of the best run stoppers in the league. As his last only year in Minnesota came close to ending every Viking fan knew he was gone and dreaded the future. Most of us were wishing management was wise enough to see that he, not Childress was the coach worth keeping around. He was definitely qualified to be a head coach and his interview only cemented that fact.

Users who are viewing this thread