What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ref Post Draft 12 Team Discussion Thread.... (1 Viewer)

I wanted to hit defense hard because the scoring is juiced and we can start up to two of them. And I wanted to load up on RB/WR/TE even more than usual, with no wasted roster slots, because there are so many flex spots.

RB - 4
1.01 Christian McCaffrey
4.12 Melvin Gordon
6.12 David Montgomery
9.01 James White
I was gifted CMC with the draw of draft slots. I went heavy on RB through the first 9 rounds because I was expecting to use the mid-rounds on QB & DEF, and late round RBs are mostly too much of a dart throw. I was hoping to get Duke Johnson or Boston Scott as my RB5 in rd18 but just missed out on them. At that point I decided that I could just settle with 4 RBs. I didn't like the remaining RBs, especially with the "no wasted roster slots" goal. And with CMC and 3 other RB2/3 types, I figured that my last flex spot was probably weaker than my RB2 slot.

WR - 9
2.12 Kenny Golladay
3.01 DJ Moore
5.01 Robert Woods
7.01 Deebo Samuel
8.12 Michael Gallup
18.12 Dede Westbrook
21.01 Tyrell Williams
24.12 Mohamed Sanu
25.01 Adam Humphries
Five WR2ish guys and four WR5ish types. WRs generally score more than RBs or TEs who go in the same part of the draft, so this is how I wanted to fill most of my flex spots. In the second half of the draft I favored boring low-upside vets over more uncertain young guys on the "no wasted roster slots" theory plus concern about the disrupted offseason, although I would've taken Aiyuk over Tyrell Williams if he'd fallen to me.

TE - 3
10.12 TJ Hockenson
19.01 Chris Herndon
20.12 Jimmy Graham
Not a great group, but were pretty good values where I took them. Herndon was the one exception to my "boring low-upside vets" approach in the second half of the draft.

QB - 3
11.01 Jared Goff
12.12 Jimmy Garoppolo
13.01 Kirk Cousins
I like to get 3 QBs with job security in best ball. I really don't want to take zeros at QB, and the risk of that is larger than ever with bye weeks unknown and the possibility of cancelled games. Plus, best ball rewards the committee approach, especially if they're all solid QB2s or better. Although if I'd known how far guys like Darnold & Haskins would fall then I probably would've waited longer on my 3rd QB.

DEF - 4
14.12 Philadelphia Defense
15.01 Seattle Defense
16.12 Dallas Defense
17.01 Washington Defense
I definitely wanted to get 4 of these. I would've waited longer if I'd known how long they'd last.

PK - 2
22.12 Jason Myers
23.01 Randy Bullock
Got a couple guys with a relatively safe hold on the starting job. Waited as long as I could and no longer. Seems like kickers rarely score enough to have much flex value.

Overall, this team is roughly what I was aiming for and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Best value picks in my eyes:
rd 1-2: 2.07 Travis Kelce
rd3-4: 4.06 Le'Veon Bell
rd5-6: 6.03 Courtland Sutton
rd7-8: 8.09 Julian Edelman
rd9-10: 10.03 JK Dobbins
rd11-12: 11.08 SF 49ers Defense
rd13-14: 14.08 Jack Doyle
rd15-16: 16.06 Sam Darnold
rd17-18: 18.08 Duke Johnson
rd19-20: 20.06 Brandon Aiyuk
rd21-22: 22.08 Dwayne Haskins
rd23-24: 23.06 NY Giants Defense

Out of the rest of the league, I like the teams that Mr. Irrelevant and Stephen Holloway put together the most.

Team BnB

QB - Wilson, Brady, Darnold:  Weird draft.  Wilson seem like the best value at the time and followed him up with Brady because I didn't like anything else on the board and I wanted to be able to root for Tom this year.  Darnold was just a cheap emergency pick.

RB - David Johnson, Conner, Lindsey, Mattison, Snell, Hill/Smith:  Ignored RB for the first three rounds so I was thrilled to landed Johnson and Conner. Both were 2nd round picks last year.  I may be chasing points, but they are cemented in as starters.  Never felt like there was RB value outside of Coleman who I keep forgetting.  Mattison was to back up Cook but that turned out to be the wrong league.  Snell was protection against Conner getting hurt.  Something still didn't seem right with SJax last year so grabbed every Atlanta backup.

WR - Thomas, Beckham/Landry, Watkins/Hardman, Cooks, Funchess:  With it being best ball with a stupid number of roster spots, I wanted to double up on guys from the same team.  This should be the strength of my team.

TE - Kelce, Howard:  Thank you for gifting me Kelce late 2nd.  I have a gut feel good things will happen with Howard this year.  Brady will wear him out in the end zone while Gronk is blocking or injured.

K - Fairbairn, Gay:  Somehow Ref managed to further neuter kicker scoring.

D - Browns, Chefs, Titans, Giants:  With defense scoring raided up, I wanted four shots a big score and a possible flex.

Excellent draft.  Didn't see much low hanging fruit.  Going to need Thomas and Kelce to excel again this year because RB could be tough sledding for me.

Team BnB

QB - Wilson, Brady, Darnold:  Weird draft.  Wilson seem like the best value at the time and followed him up with Brady because I didn't like anything else on the board and I wanted to be able to root for Tom this year.  Darnold was just a cheap emergency pick.

RB - David Johnson, Conner, Lindsey, Mattison, Snell, Hill/Smith:  Ignored RB for the first three rounds so I was thrilled to landed Johnson and Conner. Both were 2nd round picks last year.  I may be chasing points, but they are cemented in as starters.  Never felt like there was RB value outside of Coleman who I keep forgetting.  Mattison was to back up Cook but that turned out to be the wrong league.  Snell was protection against Conner getting hurt.  Something still didn't seem right with SJax last year so grabbed every Atlanta backup.

WR - Thomas, Beckham/Landry, Watkins/Hardman, Cooks, Funchess:  With it being best ball with a stupid number of roster spots, I wanted to double up on guys from the same team.  This should be the strength of my team.

TE - Kelce, Howard:  Thank you for gifting me Kelce late 2nd.  I have a gut feel good things will happen with Howard this year.  Brady will wear him out in the end zone while Gronk is blocking or injured.

K - Fairbairn, Gay:  Somehow Ref managed to further neuter kicker scoring.

D - Browns, Chefs, Titans, Giants:  With defense scoring raided up, I wanted four shots a big score and a possible flex.

Excellent draft.  Didn't see much low hanging fruit.  Going to need Thomas and Kelce to excel again this year because RB could be tough sledding for me.
A bit farther back than last year, but I do agree with grabbing Atlanta running back depth.

LEAGUE STANDINGS

FRANCHISEPFAVG PF

Stephen Holloway849.43212.4

Shadowfax811.56202.9

Mr. Irrelevant785.59196.4

Duckboy780.06195.0

By The Sea Wannabe777.47194.4

BassNBrew770.34192.6

ryheaps763.06190.8

ZWK720.93180.2

Stinkin Ref716.96179.2

bro1ncos652.24163.1