What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Revisiting the issue of allowing biological males to use women's bathrooms, and the Loudoun County rape case (3 Viewers)

The bathroom argument is just the low hanging fruit for the unimaginative.  It's the "easy" out to protest. It lacks meaningful reflection.

The simple truth is that placating mental illness does not help the afflicted. Rather than speculation on the potential for misbehavior, whether it be in a bathroom or an office, we need to remember that these are people suffering, and that suffering could very well lead to them acting out.
The primary cause of suffering among trans people is lack of recognition of their gender identity.  How would you propose to alleviate this suffering so they won't "act out."?*

*Also, what constitutes "acting out" and do trans people do it more than cis people?

The bathroom argument is just the low hanging fruit for the unimaginative.  It's the "easy" out to protest. It lacks meaningful reflection.

The simple truth is that placating mental illness does not help the afflicted. Rather than speculation on the potential for misbehavior, whether it be in a bathroom or an office, we need to remember that these are people suffering, and that suffering could very well lead to them acting out.
I am lost here, please clarify for me to whom you refer to as the afflicted as regards to this topic? Do you view trans folks as being mentally ill because they are trans?

Right and if that person wasn't allowed in the hallways the second person wouldn't have been assaulted.  Do you think that we should prohibit trans people from using the hallways?  If you think bathrooms and hallways should be treated differently you need to explain why.  If you think trans people should be prohibited from being everywhere that a sexual assault might occur, you need to explain why that policy makes sense (given that the overwhelming majority of rapes/sexual assaults are committed by cis men).
I don’t think trans people need to be prohibited from everywhere that a sexual assault might occur.
Or hallways. But thanks for being ridiculous 

I do however believe that people that were born male should not be allowed in a room with girls that have their pants down 

Anything else?

Doesn’t the fact that the second alleged assault happened in a non-bathroom location undermine the argument that this problem was caused by letting trans kids use bathrooms with their identified gender?
In this case, IMO, it has more to do with the actions of the school officials to try and bury this and not so much on bathrooms.  I say this with all seriousness - those people who tried to keep this "an internal matter" should be prosecuted for aiding and abetting.  That's ridiculous behavior.

As a second thought, I find it totally typical and ironic that the trans activist woman instigated the confrontation with the father and he went to jail.  Maybe I'm a neanderthal, but if she had gotten a beatdown she would have richly deserved it.  As it was he didn't physically touch her, but he still got arrested.  Pretty typical behavior of the authorities to arrest the justifiably aggrieved and leave the aggressor free.

Maybe the time has come to have 4 restrooms. Male, females, males who think they are females, and females who think they are males so everyone can feel more comfortable.

Parents instinctually protect their young.  I think we can all agree 14 year old girls are fairly vulnerable and protecting them should be a priority.  In this case the directive to allow males into the girl's bathroom at the least made this crime easier to commit.  The reason it's easy to protest is because it's glaringly obvious - there is no subtlety here that requires reflection.

Maybe the time has come to have 4 restrooms. Male, females, males who think they are females, and females who think they are males so everyone can feel more comfortable.
Nope

The born male person must be accepted as female in every facet of life. Bathrooms, sports…

Everyone else be damned 

As a second thought, I find it totally typical and ironic that the trans activist woman instigated the confrontation with the father and he went to jail.  Maybe I'm a neanderthal, but if she had gotten a beatdown she would have richly deserved it.  As it was he didn't physically touch her, but he still got arrested.  Pretty typical behavior of the authorities to arrest the justifiably aggrieved and leave the aggressor free.
Is there any video of any of this?  This part of the story didn’t really make sense to me.  How did the trans activist even know to start trouble with this guy?

The primary cause of suffering among trans people is lack of recognition of their gender identity.  How would you propose to alleviate this suffering so they won't "act out."?*

*Also, what constitutes "acting out" and do trans people do it more than cis people?

Gender Dysphoria is know to elicit sever depression and anxiety, regardless of society, and through meaningful treatment people can manage their situation, without forcing them into one gender.  Pretending someone is something other than their biological composition does not help them. Helping them manage the affliction is a path toward helping them manage the highs and lows.

Mental illness continues to be misunderstood across society and often we treat it inappropriately.

'member that time when conservatives on here wanted to change every gay person to straight with crazy church conversion therapy? 

• Love
Reactions: JAA
Gender Dysphoria is know to elicit sever depression and anxiety, regardless of society, and through meaningful treatment people can manage their situation, without forcing them into one gender.  Pretending someone is something other than their biological composition does not help them. Helping them manage the affliction is a path toward helping them manage the highs and lows.

Mental illness continues to be misunderstood across society and often we treat it inappropriately.
Are you talking about conversion therapy when you mention “meaningful treatment?”  What exactly are you talking about?  My understanding is that the primary way that experts treat gender dysphoria is through medical intervention (hormones, etc.) to allow individuals to live their lives as the gender they identify with.

Parents instinctually protect their young.  I think we can all agree 14 year old girls are fairly vulnerable and protecting them should be a priority.  In this case the directive to allow males into the girl's bathroom at the least made this crime easier to commit.  The reason it's easy to protest is because it's glaringly obvious - there is no subtlety here that requires reflection.
When I was going to school the bathrooms were unmonitored except for Junior High where you needed to "sign in to" use the bathroom or when the entire class went to the bathroom in elementary school at the same time.  Otherwise they were just two doors in the hallway.  If one was so inclined to sexually assault someone nothing would have stopped them from going into the women's bathroom (other than in Junior High).   So I think that it is hardly a given that the crime was easier.  Especially if the guy was wearing a skirt.  

• Smile
Are you talking about conversion therapy when you mention “meaningful treatment?”  What exactly are you talking about?  My understanding is that the primary way that experts treat gender dysphoria is through medical intervention (hormones, etc.) to allow individuals to live their lives as the gender they identify with.

No, not taking about conversion therapy, hence my note toward "without forcing them into one gender.".  Thank you for clarifying.

Allowing individuals to live their lives with therapy is the best path forward, not to "change" them since it is unlikely to really resolve their issues.  But to help them manage these issues and the influence on their daily life.

We should allow them to live their lives, and ensure we have reasonable accommodations in place for them. I do not agree that a reasonable accommodation is allowing someone more a biological male to use a female bathroom.  That is just my opinion on the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope

The trans folks are the only ones that matter, the 14 year old girls could be assaulted anywhere…

Sounds like the greatest outrage in this thread, ranked in order, goes something like this:

1. Use of the word “Libs”

2. Squid losing his notebook and his memory.  Here’s a hint buddy - the thread got nuked.  And you were involved in it, as was OPM and Henry Ford

3. That rapes will occur regardless of what the name on the bathroom door says.

4. That this only happened once, even though that was proven to be incorrect.

5. A 14 year old girl was raped and sodomized by a high school boy who identifies as a girl, at a high school that allows biological males to use the women’s bathroom.

6. That the school and BOE allegedly covered it up.

7. That the transgender was put in another school with the same policy - where he raced another young girl.

8. That the poor girl’s father had the audacity to get so angry at the BOE that he got arrested at the meeting, after which the “Libs” in Laudon County used him as an example of domestic terrorism.

Good to see you all have your priorities straight. 👍

How convenient for you.

I don't recall the thread in question but I have never seen any liberal or progressive in this forum state unequivocally "that biological men being allowed in women’s bathrooms would never result in any sexual assaults"

Nope

The trans folks are the only ones that matter, the 14 year old girls could be assaulted anywhere…
Would be a more productive conversation if you didn't resort to such hyperbole. @fatguyinalittlecoat has been nothing but civil in all these discussions, even when faced with some horrific things said on this topic, which is very personal to him. 

Nobody is arguing that 14 year olds should be assaulted, or that the plight of a victim should be ignored. The fact that this happened is horrible, and if the school board tried to suppress the info, there should be harsh consequences.

Because I sure do.  If this story is true then our worst fears have been realized - not that the Libs in here would care all that much, other than the political points scored for the opportunity to paint the irate Dad as a domestic terrorist.

Loudoun County Schools Tried To Conceal Sexual Assault Against Daughter In Bathroom, Father Says

Father in viral video of school board arrest says his daughter was raped in school bathroom.

On June 22, Scott Smith was arrested at a Loudoun County, Virginia, school board meeting, a meeting that was ultimately deemed an “unlawful assembly” after many attendees vocally opposed a policy on transgender students.

What people did not know is that weeks prior on May 28, Smith says, a boy allegedly wearing a skirt entered a girls’ bathroom at nearby Stone Bridge High School, where he sexually assaulted Smith’s ninth-grade daughter. 

Juvenile records are sealed, but Smith’s attorney Elizabeth Lancaster told The Daily Wire that a boy was charged with two counts of forcible sodomy, one count of anal sodomy, and one count of forcible fellatio, related to an incident that day at that school. 
……
The original linked article was different right?  The one you have linked now answers a lot of the questions I had about the facts of the story, thanks.

Right and if that person wasn't allowed in the hallways the second person wouldn't have been assaulted.  Do you think that we should prohibit trans people from using the hallways?  If you think bathrooms and hallways should be treated differently you need to explain why.  If you think trans people should be prohibited from being everywhere that a sexual assault might occur, you need to explain why that policy makes sense (given that the overwhelming majority of rapes/sexual assaults are committed by cis men).
I haven’t read through the articles about these particular assaults, but I do recall the debate in the now deleted thread being more along the lines of cis men dressing up as women so that they could access the women’s restroom to perpetrate assaults than trans women committing the assaults. But if that’s the argument, wouldn’t allowing trans males into the women’s restroom also provide cover for cis males to go into women’s restrooms to perpetrate assaults? They wouldn’t even have to dress up. 

I don’t think trans people need to be prohibited from everywhere that a sexual assault might occur.
Or hallways. But thanks for being ridiculous 

I do however believe that people that were born male should not be allowed in a room with girls that have their pants down 

Anything else?
So how would you go about defining the rule for who can and can’t access men’s and women’s restrooms?

Seems simple.  If you have a male appendage you use the men's and if not you use the women's. 
Wait, how would that even be enforced?!?

And if trans males regularly use the women’s room under your rule, how would that not provide cover for a cis male to use the women’s room to perpetrate an assault?

Wait, how would that even be enforced?!?

And if trans males regularly use the women’s room under your rule, how would that not provide cover for a cis male to use the women’s room to perpetrate an assault?

How has it been enforced for 100 years?  It's not like you ever had to show ID to use the bathroom.  It was an honor system and if you used the wrong bathroom and got caught you got in trouble.  It would be even easier to prove now with everyone having a camera in their pocket.  Could someone break the rule?  Sure.  I can also go in to Target and steal a bunch of stuff hoping I don't get caught.   And let's be clear.  The proposed changes to the rules aren't to allow anyone to use any bathroom.  It's specifically to allow a trans to use the bathroom they "identify" with.  So, there still has to be an enforcement mechanism for the 99.5% of the population that is cis.  So not sure what you're getting at with this line of questioning.

That video makes it seem like he was the only person that deserved to be arrested.  Certainly possible it doesn’t tell the whole story.
No doubt she verbally provoked him and no doubt he reacted strongly, though I didn't see him put a hand on her.  As fathers in here I think we can all agree this would be an emotional item if some random activist at the meeting got in your grill and started arguing about "what really happened" to your victimized child.

How has it been enforced for 100 years?  It's not like you ever had to show ID to use the bathroom.  It was an honor system and if you used the wrong bathroom and got caught you got in trouble.  It would be even easier to prove now with everyone having a camera in their pocket.  Could someone break the rule?  Sure.  I can also go in to Target and steal a bunch of stuff hoping I don't get caught.   And let's be clear.  The proposed changes to the rules aren't to allow anyone to use any bathroom.  It's specifically to allow a trans to use the bathroom they "identify" with.  So, there still has to be an enforcement mechanism for the 99.5% of the population that is cis.  So not sure what you're getting at with this line of questioning.

I believe the line of questioning is to help understand how these policies prevent or diminish sexual assaults if they can't actually be enforced.

Oh, so it's the cost of doing business for "equal" transgender "rights?" 
Well, that's a really callous way of describing it, but essentially, yes. I would argue, like I stated earlier, that the person that committed the act is likely to have done it anyway, regardless of school district policy. Obviously the cover-up by the school district should never have happened, and appropriate individuals held responsible. This seems like another one-off story getting amplified to fill the daily outrage quota to me.

I haven’t read through the articles about these particular assaults, but I do recall the debate in the now deleted thread being more along the lines of cis men dressing up as women so that they could access the women’s restroom to perpetrate assaults than trans women committing the assaults. But if that’s the argument, wouldn’t allowing trans males into the women’s restroom also provide cover for cis males to go into women’s restrooms to perpetrate assaults? They wouldn’t even have to dress up. 
This was how I read those concerns as well.  

Forgive the maybe bad tie-in, but it reminds me a bit of the gun thread.   People telling other's to not blame the object, but blame the person committing the crime.  Now it feels like in here similar people don't seem to be blaming the sick person who is assaulting people (and would probably do so and has under other circumstances, not just the ladies room) but they are focusing on the trans people who statisically pose a significant less threat to those females in the bathroom. 

• Smile
No doubt she verbally provoked him and no doubt he reacted strongly, though I didn't see him put a hand on her.  As fathers in here I think we can all agree this would be an emotional item if some random activist at the meeting got in your grill and started arguing about "what really happened" to your victimized child.
I am a father.  If my kid was raped I would not have acted the way this guy did when called into school the day of his daughter's alleged rape.  I would not have acted the way this guy did at the school board meeting. 

Part of the issue here seems to be that the father has a difficult time navigating these issues without flying off the handle.  That's not an effective way to get justice for his daughter and it's not an effective way to change policies. 

• Love
Many trans males look like dudes. They have male features. No breasts. Beards. Your rule will have them using the female restroom. It seems to me that your rule will create far more apprehension in women and will be far more effective in providing cover for cis males to use women’s restrooms for nefarious purposes. 

• Smile
One bathroom open to all, one for cis females.

Not necessarily supporting this, just offering a suggestion

The proposed changes to the rules aren't to allow anyone to use any bathroom.  It's specifically to allow a trans to use the bathroom they "identify" with.  So, there still has to be an enforcement mechanism for the 99.5% of the population that is cis.  So not sure what you're getting at with this line of questioning.

I believe the line of questioning is to help understand how these policies prevent or diminish sexual assaults if they can't actually be enforced.
If we simply had co-ed restrooms would sexual assault in restrooms increase or decrease?  Would sexual assaults in general increase or decrease?  How is the "honor system" helpful to deter a would be rapist, or peeper, or whatever?  If the goal is to protect our girls and women from sexual predators this seems counter productive to me.  Sure there are other goals that can be enumerated and balancing these goals might make segregated restrooms make sense, but as far as sexual assault I don't see any real reduction in opportunity with segregated rest rooms while seeing the risk of the predator getting his  :censored:  kicked seems to be reduced.

Many trans males look like dudes. They have male features. No breasts. Beards. Your rule will have them using the female restroom. It seems to me that your rule will create far more apprehension in women and will be far more effective in providing cover for cis males to use women’s restrooms for nefarious purposes. 

We can agree to disagree.  And honestly, much like the sports thread, I suspect if you polled males in school they'd be fine with trans males using the men's restroom.  Much like that case, although for somewhat different reasons, the real issue here is biological males using the biological female restroom.

You keep using the "provide cover for cis males" argument.  I don't find that persuasive.  If it were random people in a stadium you might have a point.  But you act as if school kids don't know each other.  They do.

One bathroom open to all, one for cis females.

Not necessarily supporting this, just offering a suggestion

I think this would work.  I also think, much like small restaurants sometimes do, maybe we just need to create  individual bathrooms without a designated sex.  What we shouldn't do, IMO, is force teenage girls to have to share a bathroom or locker room with biological males.  And i can't believe I actually have to say that out loud and try to convince people it's a bad idea.

We can agree to disagree.  And honestly, much like the sports thread, I suspect if you polled males in school they'd be fine with trans males using the men's restroom.  Much like that case, although for somewhat different reasons, the real issue here is biological males using the biological female restroom.

You keep using the "provide cover for cis males" argument.  I don't find that persuasive.  If it were random people in a stadium you might have a point.  But you act as if school kids don't know each other.  They do.
My younger kid goes to a high school with 3000 kids.  She definitely doesn't know everyone there.  And of the people that she does know, she doesn't necessarily know if they are trans or not.

My older kid is trans and in college.  Almost none of his classmates know he's trans.  

Is there a list of who is “liberal” and who is “conservative” I should be referring to somewhere so that I know exactly which position on each issue to assign to each poster here?

My younger kid goes to a high school with 3000 kids.  She definitely doesn't know everyone there.  And of the people that she does know, she doesn't necessarily know if they are trans or not.

My older kid is trans and in college.  Almost none of his classmates know he's trans.  

Every kid doesn't know every kid.  But the bathroom isn't used by just two kids.  There are a lot of kids filing in and out of the bathroom.  It's very likely someone is going to know them. 

is force teenage girls to have to share a bathroom or locker room with biological males.  And i can't believe I actually have to say that out loud and try to convince people it's a bad idea.
Ignoring the word "force", I'd like to hear the argument on what segregated rest rooms offer us and why it is good.  It has always been that way and expressing incredulity isn't really convincing.  And if you want to go ahead and suggest that anyone that even asks the question is just a pervert, but then explain the anti pervert problem that segregating restrooms actually solves rather than exacerbates.

Every kid doesn't know every kid.  But the bathroom isn't used by just two kids.  There are a lot of kids filing in and out of the bathroom.  It's very likely someone is going to know them. 
It seems unlikely to me that kids will start narcing on each other for using the "wrong" bathroom, for the same reasons that they don't narc on each other for vaping in the bathroom.

The posted article doesn't say it explicitly, but the last couple paragraphs make it sound like even the kid that was allegedly raped views this issue differently than her parents.

Users who are viewing this thread