What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Irving, Texas student arrested and suspended for making a clock (1 Viewer)

Anyone want to defend this little turd's 15 mil lawsuit?
No. I defended him when I read the original story. But this is too much even for me. Though I'm betting that he and his family were visited by a horde of hungry attorneys who promised them plenty of cash.

What would be the value for his name always being linked as a bomb maker? I think its excessive, but what is your number? The police/school was wrong. And his point if it was Jack or Jill nothing would of happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would be the value for his name always being linked as a bomb maker? I think its excessive, but what is your number? The police/school was wrong. And his point if it was Jack or Jill nothing would of happened.
Do you even know his name without looking it up?

I have no idea what his name is - and I could not pick him out of a lineup. I doubt that I am in the minority.

Neither the police nor the school publicized the story. He and his family were the ones who filmed YouTube videos and went on the talk show circuit to publicize the incident and make him a household name. I don't think the bolded is a compelling argument for an award of damages in his favor. His better argument is to focus on the emotional distress of being cuffed and interrogated.

Do you even know his name without looking it up?I have no idea what his name is - and I could not pick him out of a lineup. I doubt that I am in the minority.
#Istandwithahmed

So you are saying if he was TG, he could bring a hoax bomb to school?
Well last I checked it was not a hoax bomb and it was a clock. But then again, I went to the school in the 80's and 90's when you could actually make something, and teachers and administrators used common sense and looked at what it was. So sorry, that I don't just think because something is homemade that it is a bomb. And especially after the teacher had already looked at it. But hey lets blame the kid.

If his name were Jack or Jill this wouldn't have become a story. His name being associated with this is probably the best thing that has ever happened to him. At best he is owed an apology.

An apology for countless offers to prestigious educational programs and institutions, as well as a bunch of free swag and a trip to the White House as a guest of the Prez?

This ##### didn't even make a clock. He took apart a $5 Walmart clock and put the components in a suitcase. #### off kid.

Kid needs to file a $100m lawsuit against his parents for filing this lawsuit on his behalf. That's the real longterm damage that's going to plague him.

Neither the police nor the school publicized the story. He and his family were the ones who filmed YouTube videos and went on the talk show circuit to publicize the incident and make him a household name. I don't think the bolded is a compelling argument for an award of damages in his favor. His better argument is to focus on the emotional distress of being cuffed and interrogated.
Not initially, but according to the attorneys:

http://irvingblog.dallasnews.com/2015/11/letter-demands-5-million-and-an-apology-for-ahmeds-treatment-over-clock.html/

Letters demand $15 million, say Irving officials worked to smear Ahmed Mohamed after clock arrest

As they threaten a lawsuit, Ahmed Mohameds family says that not only did police illegally interrogate the boy for bringing a homemade clock to high school, but that top officials later worked to "kneecap a kid in the media" to cover up their mistakes.

The smear effort made Ahmed the target of anti-Muslim conspiracy theorists and caused his family to flee the country for their own safety, the familys lawyer claimed Monday in letters addressed to City Hall and Irving ISDdemanding apologies and a total of $15 million to stave off a civil rights suit.

"Mayor Beth Van Duyne lied about Ahmed and his family, and she did it to an audience that is on the absolute fringe of American life," attorney Kelly Hollingsworth wrote. "Van Duyne irreparably endangered the safety of the Ahmed family."

City and school officials did not immediately comment on the letters or possible lawsuit, which has long been expected inside City Hall.

Together, the letters add new details and accusations to a story that played out on a global stage after Ahmed, an aspiring engineer, brought a homemade clock in a pencil case to school and ended up charged with making a hoax bomb.

Among the claims the letters makes:

- It says police illegally questioned Ahmed without his parents present, even after the 14-year-old asked for them.

- It says that during the questioning, Ahmeds principal threatened to expel him if he didnt admit that his clock was a hoax bombthough he had never claimed it was anything but a clock.

- After police dropped the charges and news of the arrest went viral, city and school officials devised a plan to "trash Ahmed" to the media, according to the letter.

- School officials insinuated that Ahmed wasnt telling reporters the truth about his arrest, and publicly pressured his parents to let them release his private student records.

- Officials falsely claimed that Ahmed violated school policy and "zero tolerance" laws, none of which apply to his homemade clock.

The letter singles out Van Duyne, who had been gaining popularity in anti-Islamic circles for months before Ahmed's arrest. Afterwards, she sat for an interview with Glenn Beck, a former Fox News host who claimed - with no evidence - that Ahmed planned to get arrested and embarrass the city in advance of a "civilization jihad."

"Beck later opined that this was the 'Islamists' conspiracy to soften us up, so that we could later be attacked from inside," reads the letter. "When the guest sitting less than an arms length from Mayor Van Duyne called the pencil box a "briefcase," she did not say a word. She just nodded."

But the mayor went further, and "defamed Ahmed," the boys lawyer argues, when she called his clock a "hoax bomb" during the interviewdespite the fact that police had already dropped the charge.

The mayor implied in the same interview that officials had another side to the story, but were unable to release it due to privacy laws.

"Mayor Van Duyne did not explain where she got Ahme's private educational information," the letter reads. "Nor did she assert any justification for her choice to release it to an audience that is paranoid about the 'final confrontation' between 'Islamists' and 'Americans.'"

Not initially, but according to the attorneys:http://irvingblog.dallasnews.com/2015/11/letter-demands-5-million-and-an-apology-for-ahmeds-treatment-over-clock.html/

Letters demand $15 million, say Irving officials worked to smear Ahmed Mohamed after clock arrest

As they threaten a lawsuit, Ahmed Mohameds family says that not only did police illegally interrogate the boy for bringing a homemade clock to high school, but that top officials later worked to "kneecap a kid in the media" to cover up their mistakes.

The smear effort made Ahmed the target of anti-Muslim conspiracy theorists and caused his family to flee the country for their own safety, the familys lawyer claimed Monday in letters addressed to City Hall and Irving ISDdemanding apologies and a total of $15 million to stave off a civil rights suit.

"Mayor Beth Van Duyne lied about Ahmed and his family, and she did it to an audience that is on the absolute fringe of American life," attorney Kelly Hollingsworth wrote. "Van Duyne irreparably endangered the safety of the Ahmed family."

City and school officials did not immediately comment on the letters or possible lawsuit, which has long been expected inside City Hall.

Together, the letters add new details and accusations to a story that played out on a global stage after Ahmed, an aspiring engineer, brought a homemade clock in a pencil case to school and ended up charged with making a hoax bomb.

Among the claims the letters makes:

- It says police illegally questioned Ahmed without his parents present, even after the 14-year-old asked for them.

- It says that during the questioning, Ahmeds principal threatened to expel him if he didnt admit that his clock was a hoax bombthough he had never claimed it was anything but a clock.

- After police dropped the charges and news of the arrest went viral, city and school officials devised a plan to "trash Ahmed" to the media, according to the letter.

- School officials insinuated that Ahmed wasnt telling reporters the truth about his arrest, and publicly pressured his parents to let them release his private student records.

- Officials falsely claimed that Ahmed violated school policy and "zero tolerance" laws, none of which apply to his homemade clock.

The letter singles out Van Duyne, who had been gaining popularity in anti-Islamic circles for months before Ahmed's arrest. Afterwards, she sat for an interview with Glenn Beck, a former Fox News host who claimed - with no evidence - that Ahmed planned to get arrested and embarrass the city in advance of a "civilization jihad."

"Beck later opined that this was the 'Islamists' conspiracy to soften us up, so that we could later be attacked from inside," reads the letter. "When the guest sitting less than an arms length from Mayor Van Duyne called the pencil box a "briefcase," she did not say a word. She just nodded."

But the mayor went further, and "defamed Ahmed," the boys lawyer argues, when she called his clock a "hoax bomb" during the interviewdespite the fact that police had already dropped the charge.

The mayor implied in the same interview that officials had another side to the story, but were unable to release it due to privacy laws.

"Mayor Van Duyne did not explain where she got Ahme's private educational information," the letter reads. "Nor did she assert any justification for her choice to release it to an audience that is paranoid about the 'final confrontation' between 'Islamists' and 'Americans.'"
I don't recall either school officials or law enforcement saying anything remotely actionable to the media. That said, I wasn't aware of the Mayor's talk show appearance. Sounds like they should be suing Glenn Beck.

I'll admit it: I feel pretty stupid for having originally taken the kid's side.

From this point forward, I vow to be less sympathetic to Muslims.

Not a knock and haven't read the thread and I have all the respect in the world for you IK, but... That said...

What was the defense about and did you think what he slapped together might NOT be construed as a bomb?

And I would ask the same question to anyone who defended this little jerkoff.

Just logically it had every hallmark of a bomb look.

Not a knock and haven't read the thread and I have all the respect in the world for you IK, but... That said... What was the defense about and did you think what he slapped together might NOT be construed as a bomb?

That seems like a lot of work for people to come in and summarize their positions to respond to your question when you could just go skim the first few pages of the thread.

Not a knock and haven't read the thread and I have all the respect in the world for you IK, but... That said... What was the defense about and did you think what he slapped together might NOT be construed as a bomb?

That seems like a lot of work for people to come in and summarize their positions to respond to your question when you could just go skim the first few pages of the thread.
No I'm asking now because in the light of day, removed from this, logic would have outpaced emotion. If the defense was that these people overreacted because this simply looked nothing like a bomb, has that changed, can we at least all concede that this did look like a bomb?

But as you suggest I'll go back and read through. I'm just wondering if distance and this news would change how you saw the most basic of what I would assume is a common perception.

Not a knock and haven't read the thread and I have all the respect in the world for you IK, but... That said...What was the defense about and did you think what he slapped together might NOT be construed as a bomb?

No I'm asking now because in the light of day, removed from this, logic would have outpaced emotion. If the defense was that these people overreacted because this simply looked nothing like a bomb, has that changed, can we at least all concede that this did look like a bomb?

But as you suggest I'll go back and read through. I'm just wondering if distance and this news would change how you saw the most basic of what I would assume is a common perception.
Remember: this was never about whether or not school officials or police thought it was ACTUALLY a bomb. The question was whether the kid intentionally acted in a way to get school/police all hyped/scared. So it would be akin, I guess, to pulling the fire alarm even though you knew there was no fire (not a perfect analogy, I know).

I don't think there is any question about what the thing "looked" like. The question was about the kids intent. Lot's of people, (and it sounds like IK included) gave the kid the benefit of the doubt that he INTENDED to cause a ruckus. It sounds like, with time to think about the kid's action (and maybe seeing his follow-up actions like the lawsuit) folks believe they have enough evidence to feel that he did, indeed, intend to be mischievous at best.

For me, however, my concern remained really on the actions of the school and the police. And what appears to be the further "police-ization" of American schools. For example, after everyone realized that this was not, indeed, a bomb, did we really need to handcuff the kid? Rather than a call to his parents? Really? And some of us here believed if this was a white kid named Brad, even if the school did decide that he was being mischievous with the clock-bomb, Brad would be more likely to have his parents called and have a stern talking to, as apposed to be handcuffed and arrested.

Not a knock and haven't read the thread and I have all the respect in the world for you IK, but... That said...What was the defense about and did you think what he slapped together might NOT be construed as a bomb?

That's a fair question. I suspect a few things in this story biased me toward siding with the kid. First, the fact that this happened in Texas made it too easy to automatically accept the story of white (presumably) teachers mistreating a Muslim kid with a middle eastern name. Second, this story also plays right into the narrative of "idiot school administrators overreact to harmless kid stuff." I think the combination of those two things might have caused me to not think about this as clearly as I should have.

It was a set up from the beginning. I thought it was pretty easy to read based on his father's and his sister's actions (both before and immediately after).

Gotta give them credit though. They played that fiddle as well as anybody could. Had half the country, Fortune 500 CEOs, and the President dancing.

For me, however, my concern remained really on the actions of the school and the police. And what appears to be the further "police-ization" of American schools. For example, after everyone realized that this was not, indeed, a bomb, did we really need to handcuff the kid? Rather than a call to his parents? Really? And some of us here believed if this was a white kid named Brad, even if the school did decide that he was being mischievous with the clock-bomb, Brad would be more likely to have his parents called and have a stern talking to, as apposed to be handcuffed and arrested.
What do you think if "Brad" brought a play gun to school.

Police/School: It is a gun

Brad: It is a toy.

Police/School: We're not sure, but we think it is a gun

Brad: It is a toy I made, and I just wanted to show if off to everyone. It is very detailed, I even made toy bullets.

Police/School: Well Brad, you most certainly are an inventive scamp. You are right, it is a toy. Boy, do we feel foolish about even questioning a nice white kid like you. Come here :side hug with a dutch rub on top of the head: Go on back to class. And oh, by the way, here's 15 million for your troubles.

Brad: It is a toy I made, and I just wanted to show if off to everyone. It is very detailed, I even made toy bullets.

Police/School: Well Brad, you most certainly are an inventive scamp. You are right, it is a toy. Boy, do we feel foolish about even questioning a nice white kid like you. Come here :side hug with a dutch rub on top of the head: Go on back to class. And oh, by the way, here's 15 million for your troubles.
I think we are getting too far afield with false comparisons.

My understanding is that nobody in this situation was seriously concerned that this was actually a bomb.

But sure, I'll play along: a kid hammered two pieces of wood together and put one-inch notches on the side of it and called it his new "ruler that he invented," but then he painted it to look an awful lot like a gun, including something that kind of looked like a trigger, then sure, we have some similarities. And maybe the police would treat "Brad" and "Muhammed" differently, or maybe the same.

But I'm not sure what that has to do with this discussion.

I think we are getting too far afield with false comparisons.

My understanding is that nobody in this situation was seriously concerned that this was actually a bomb.

But sure, I'll play along: a kid hammered two pieces of wood together and put one-inch notches on the side of it and called it his new "ruler that he invented," but then he painted it to look an awful lot like a gun, including something that kind of looked like a trigger, then sure, we have some similarities. And maybe the police would treat "Brad" and "Muhammed" differently, or maybe the same.

But I'm not sure what that has to do with this discussion.
My understanding was they believe he tried to actually make it look similar to a bomb to get people to react. I don't know if it frightened any students, but that's certainly irresponsible and possibly illegal. The counter-argument was that the premise was absurd and he had no such intention.

Based on what we know now I think it's pretty clear the administration and the police were correct. Maybe they shouldn't have handcuffed him as a lesson. Hard to say. I had a classmate get handcuffed and led out of the school by police for showing other kids a pocket knife (4th grade I think). It happens.

The school and police should absolutely take this to court. Then the parents will no longer be able to block the entire story from coming out like the school and police repeatedly requested the parents to allow. We'll finally know the story from both sides and be able to make a fully formed opinion.

Attorney General Says Feds Are Investigating Arrest of Ahmed the Clockmaker The investigation concerns "harassment and the discipline of students on the basis of race, religion and national origin"The Department of Justice is investigating the arrest of Ahmed Mohamed, the 14-year-old Muslim boy whom police took into custody when he brought a homemade clock to his school in Texas, the U.S. Attorney General said Thursday.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch confirmed the investigation at the annual Muslim Advocates dinner in Arlington, Va., the Dallas Morning News reports. “We have, as you may know, opened an investigation into the case of the young man in Irving, Texas,” Lynch told Farhana Kher, Muslim Advocates President and Executive Director, during an interview. “So we will see where that investigation goes.”

http://time.com/4137024/ahmed-clock-kid-department-of-justice-investigating-arrest/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

Defamation law suit is tossed out... Looks like the money grab failed.

"Judge Moore pressed Mohamed’s lawyer to provide any facts that would suggest that Hanson and the other defendants had said anything false or defamatory about Mohamed or his son during the television broadcasts. After spending a painfully embarrassing 15 minutes flipping through reams of paper, Mohamed’s lawyer was unable to provide any such evidence."

:bye:

Users who are viewing this thread