What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Irving, Texas student arrested and suspended for making a clock (1 Viewer)

I love how this kid has become the sworn enemy of the right, and that I keep hearing from that side the terms "invented" and "invention" as if he claimed to invent the clock. :lmao:

Cold Dead Hands said:
tdoss said:
Officer Pete Malloy said:
tdoss said:
Officer Pete Malloy said:
Nobody is splitting hairs here. Answer the question or stop saying they had a "zero tolerance policy".
My bad..."hoax bomb threat policy"...we good here or just wanna keep up the subversion?
They actually have those words in their list of school policies?
You tell me Pete. What's your school do with bomb hoaxes? Want to get into how your school "words it"?

We gonna play semantics over my definition of the word "is" next?

Always a verbal shell game with you.

Never a conversation or possibility of discourse...just hair splitting and nitpicking dumb siht.
Wait, the kid brought it to school and told everyone it was a clock and he gets suspended for a bomb hoax/ bomb threat? How is that Zero tolerance based on a policy and not bigotry? Kid didn't fake a bomb nor did he ever insinuate that it was a bomb.
Can't tell if you are trolling or just mentally challenged.
It is your assertion he claimed to have a bomb or pretended to have a bomb? It certainly appears you are not trolling.

I love how this kid has become the sworn enemy of the right, and that I keep hearing from that side the terms "invented" and "invention" as if he claimed to invent the clock. :lmao:
wat
This has got to be a tactic...just keep inserting the rollie smilie and keep asking the same dumb questions/assertions:Where did he say he invented it?

ANTI-SHARIA!

Who said he programmed it?

RACISM!

How do you know he plugged it in?

ISLAMAPHOBIA!

What zero tolerance policy?

BIGOTRY!

You simply cannot have a reasonable conversation with blind zealots with an agenda.

No matter how many times you show them links, proof, his own freakin quotes, recorded interviews, etc...they just keep prattling the same damned retorts.

And then there's Tim...no matter what you say...he KNOWS this was racist. Nevermind his ilk will call out BB's perfectly attuned spidey sense and mock it over and over...none turn to their buddy Tim and ask how he justifies the leaps he's taking if not for his own misguided spidey sense based on nothing...no reasonable facts, data, links, nothing. Dude just FEELS it...he's got radar for this siht.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it kind of annoys me that he is getting treated like a genius for taking apart a Radio Shack clock and putting it in a case. Soldering and basic wiring are pretty good skills for a 14-year old to have, but people are going overboard.

wat
This has got to be a tactic...just keep inserting the rollie smilie and keep asking the same dumb questions/assertions:Where did he say he invented it?

ANTI-SHARIA!

RACISM!

ISLAMAPHOBIA!

BIGOTRY!

You simply cannot have a reasonable conversation with blind zealots with an agenda.

No matter how many times you show them links, proof, his own freakin quotes, recorded interviews, etc...they just keep prattling the same damned retorts.
I feel like I asked questions once and acknowledged the linked responses that I got.

Maybe I was repeating something from earlier in the thread that I didn't read.

wat

ANTI-SHARIA!

RACISM!

ISLAMAPHOBIA!

BIGOTRY!

I feel like I asked questions once and acknowledged the linked responses that I got.Maybe I was repeating something from earlier in the thread that I didn't read.
My bad Plasma...not really directed at you. The same questions keep getting bandied about.I'm expecting someone to come kicking in the door demanding, "If the school felt this was such a threat...then why didn't they evacuate the school?! That's right...RACISM!" For what has to be the 20th time in this thread.

It's just odd how these things keep circling the bowl over and over even though it's been explained ad nauseum.

EDITED TO ADD: I actually appreciate your openness and willingness to hear, absorb and then possibly change stances once given more info. It's actually quite refreshing. Sad that it's so refreshing but still...thanks are in order.

Forgive me if this has already been discussed but if the kid goes to the White House and brings the clock.... is the Secret Service going to inspect it or let him just walk in with it to the President?
I'm sure they will inspect it. I don't think anyone here is taking issue with the school's decision to inspect Ahmed's device.
So, there is a concession that although it is not a bomb it could be construed as a bomb looking like device?In a concise explanation- what is the exact issue?
There are several issues, but the most prominent appears to be whether the clock looking "bombish" was intentional or accidental.
Ok....So, the kid makes or dismantles a clock as something cool and brings it in to show people. To people, it looks bombish.....

So, the kid makes or dismantles a clock to intentionally make it look bombish. To people, it looks bombish....

If something looks bombish- what are the teachers/administrators suppose to do? Correct me if I am wrong isn't the whole issue about how the teachers/administrators reacted?
No, it's what happened after they determined that the thing he said was a clock was indeed a clock. They had already reached that determination when he was taken down to the police station in handcuffs.
So, it is not racism that is the problem but the 'zero tolerance' policy's school's have these days?
Zero tolerance of what? Clocks?
You know how many instances there are out there of kids being suspended etc because they drew a gun or made a 'phew' sounds and finger gun? Seems to me to the same kind of insanity that comes with zero tolerance policy. Mind you, I am not saying that that is right.

So he lied about inventing the clock.
Can you link a quote of him saying that? All I can find is him saying he built the clock.

He programs it to beep during class.
What are you basing this assertion on?
Ahmed: um the teacher, the clock in fact was plugged in during the classroom, so it didn't go off in my backpack, it was plugged in, and i set a timer on there and i showed a student next to me, and uh, it went off, and the teacher looked around and said "what was that noise", and i just unplugged it immediatelyhttp://www.liveleak.com/view?i=801_1443042484
Wasn't aware of this little nugget. Could have saved us a lot time today.At this point I'm willing to say that I have no problem with the kid being suspended. Still not on board with the police taking him to the station or threatening to charge him with a bomb hoax.
Suspended for having an timer go off?

Can you link a quote of him saying that? All I can find is him saying he built the clock.

Ahmed: um the teacher, the clock in fact was plugged in during the classroom, so it didn't go off in my backpack, it was plugged in, and i set a timer on there and i showed a student next to me, and uh, it went off, and the teacher looked around and said "what was that noise", and i just unplugged it immediatelyhttp://www.liveleak.com/view?i=801_1443042484
Wasn't aware of this little nugget. Could have saved us a lot time today.At this point I'm willing to say that I have no problem with the kid being suspended. Still not on board with the police taking him to the station or threatening to charge him with a bomb hoax.
He plugged it in and set the timer during class. I would say detention is probably more appropriate, but i don't know what previous discipline issues he might have had.

I would say detention is probably more appropriate, but i don't know what previous discipline issues he might have had.
:goodposting:

That's what you get out of this????? You watchin' Fox and stuff?

I see regular ppl, not radical left or right thinking this is one Giant Stupid Hoax that a lot of ppl fell for, politics aside......

No way my White kid doesn't become a huge story if we try to pull off this same BS..... They lock down my kids school for a suspicious package 6 blocks away.....

WhatDoIKnow said:
Chadstroma said:
Forgive me if this has already been discussed but if the kid goes to the White House and brings the clock.... is the Secret Service going to inspect it or let him just walk in with it to the President?
I'm sure they will inspect it. I don't think anyone here is taking issue with the school's decision to inspect Ahmed's device.
So, there is a concession that although it is not a bomb it could be construed as a bomb looking like device?In a concise explanation- what is the exact issue?
There are several issues, but the most prominent appears to be whether the clock looking "bombish" was intentional or accidental.
Ok....So, the kid makes or dismantles a clock as something cool and brings it in to show people. To people, it looks bombish.....

So, the kid makes or dismantles a clock to intentionally make it look bombish. To people, it looks bombish....

If something looks bombish- what are the teachers/administrators suppose to do? Correct me if I am wrong isn't the whole issue about how the teachers/administrators reacted?
No, it's what happened after they determined that the thing he said was a clock was indeed a clock. They had already reached that determination when he was taken down to the police station in handcuffs.
So, it is not racism that is the problem but the 'zero tolerance' policy's school's have these days?
Zero tolerance of what? Clocks?
You know how many instances there are out there of kids being suspended etc because they drew a gun or made a 'phew' sounds and finger gun? Seems to me to the same kind of insanity that comes with zero tolerance policy. Mind you, I am not saying that that is right.
Too many, but probably < 1% of the times that a kid actually draws (on paper) a gun or makes a "phew" sound with a finger gun. We only hear about the extreme cases. I would hope that the vast majority of those incidents are handled by contacting the parents and maybe detention. I honestly don't know.
I don't know either and I don't think you could ever figure out a way to know but the fact is that there are more than an outlier of cases that show "zero tolerance" policies are a significant problem and could very well be the real 'cause' to this.

I think liberals jumped on this, as they often do when it comes to race, with just knowing the "facts" of who was what race to decide on what happened. Add in that this was in Texas and of course it was racism! It IS Texas after all and unless someone is Hispanic there then they are racist (with certain allowances for people from Austin).

I invented a crude Sybian around '91 using a hairbrush handle and record player. Never brought it to school though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/10/16/the-american-boy-arrested-for-making-a-radio-meets-sudans-president-an-accused-war-criminal/?tid=trending_strip_4

The American boy arrested for making a clock meets Sudan’s president, an accused war criminal

The arrest of Ahmed Mohamed, a 14-year-old Texas student, in mid-September for bringing a homemade clock to his high school created a nationwide debate about racism and Islamophobia in the United States. Despite facing a wave of ugly criticism, Ahmed won support from high places — President Obama tweeted his support, and the teenager is expected to be a guest at the White House this weekend.

Ahead of that that visit, Ahmed has met with another president. This meeting is a little bit more surprising.

According to the Sudan Tribune, Ahmed met with Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir in Khartoum on Wednesday evening. The Paris-based Web site reports that the teenager told reporters that he was "extremely delighted" to meet Bashir and hoped to return to visit the Sudanese president again “with a new invention and success.”

At first glance, perhaps Ahmed's journey to Bashir's presidential compound isn't so strange. The teenager has met with a variety of big names over the past few weeks. Besides, his family are Sudanese immigrants: On his Twitter account, Ahmed posted a number of images that described his visit to Sudan as a type of homecoming:

However, Bashir is no ordinary world leader. He has an outstanding arrest warrant from the International Criminal Court, for example, for allegedly orchestrating genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes in Darfur. The country he leads is under a variety of U.S. sanctions. His government harbored Osama bin Laden for five years in the 1990s. A leaked U.S. diplomatic cable published by WikiLeaks even suggested he may have secretly stolen $9 billion in oil money.

Hey, cool clock, Ahmed! :thumbup:

He was among 300 visitors to “Astronomy Night,” a celebration of science and learning. Bill Nye the Science Guy was there, along with a number of standout students who have been recognized for scientific achievements throughout the country. Though some of those students received shoutouts during President Obama’s comments, there was no mention of Ahmed in the audience.
At least there's that.

Has he gotten all of this attention, praise and these offers just because of this clock?
This is the weird thing. All of the Silicon Valley offers, praise from technology company CEO's.... It's a clock. I built one out of a potato once and not one US President invited me to the White House! :hot:

My favorite quote from the article:

Ahmed’s sister Eyman said the Middle East won’t feel too different from the U.S., except that the family will be surrounded by Muslims like themselves.“Qatar is in the Arab world, but it also feels like Texas. It’s like Texas in Qatar.”

Ahmed’s sister Eyman said the Middle East won’t feel too different from the U.S., except that the family will be surrounded by Muslims like themselves.“Qatar is in the Arab world, but it also feels like Texas. It’s like Texas in Qatar.”
I have not been to Qatar but it's supposed to be fairly moderate and relaxed compared to other ME nations. That said, so is Dubai. But you can walk a block off the main stretch of the Sheikh Zayad Highway and you'll know almost immediately you are no longer in a place like Texas. Or the 21st century.

I have not been to Qatar but it's supposed to be fairly moderate and relaxed compared to other ME nations. That said, so is Dubai. But you can walk a block off the main stretch of the Sheikh Zayad Highway and you'll know almost immediately you are no longer in a place like Texas. Or the 21st century.
Some say the same thing about when you leave the major metropolitan areas in Texas.

Some say the same thing about when you leave the major metropolitan areas in Texas.
No. When you leave a major metropolitan area in Texas, you DEFINITELY know you're in Texas. I get what you're saying, though.

Was wondering when this would finally hit,today was the day.

Attorneys representing Ahmed Mohamed and his family want an apology and $15 million in damages after his arrest in September.

The former MacArthur High School freshman was accused of bringing an item that looked like a bomb to school. It turned out to be a clock.

The attorneys have sent letters to both the City of Irving and Irving ISD (read below), demanding $10 million and $5 million respectively, for the way the incident was handled earlier this year. They claim 14-year-old Ahmed has suffered severe damages as a result of his interrogation and arrest at the school. They also point the finger at Irving’s Police Chief and Mayor for the way they portrayed Ahmed to the media once the story gained international interest.

The attorneys claim that both the school district and the police department violated Ahmed’s rights, which led to a chain of events that ultimately forced the family to move out of the country to Doha, Qatar. The family wants to return to Irving, Texas, when they feel safe again, according to the letters.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/11/23/clock-kids-family-demand-apology-15-million-in-damages/

Was wondering when this would finally hit,today was the day.

Attorneys representing Ahmed Mohamed and his family want an apology and $15 million in damages after his arrest in September.

The former MacArthur High School freshman was accused of bringing an item that looked like a bomb to school. It turned out to be a clock.

The attorneys have sent letters to both the City of Irving and Irving ISD (read below), demanding $10 million and $5 million respectively, for the way the incident was handled earlier this year. They claim 14-year-old Ahmed has suffered severe damages as a result of his interrogation and arrest at the school. They also point the finger at Irving’s Police Chief and Mayor for the way they portrayed Ahmed to the media once the story gained international interest.

The attorneys claim that both the school district and the police department violated Ahmed’s rights, which led to a chain of events that ultimately forced the family to move out of the country to Doha, Qatar. The family wants to return to Irving, Texas, when they feel safe again, according to the letters.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/11/23/clock-kids-family-demand-apology-15-million-in-damages/
The little clock maker and his family are more than welcome to come back, once they go through the two year vetting process.....and register in the Trump database.... and provide a payment of $15 million for our troubles.

Users who are viewing this thread