What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ricky's positive test not for Ganja (1 Viewer)

Gatorman

Supreme Elite Maximum Tier
Ricky's positive test is not for pot

Dolphins running back Ricky Williams has failed an NFL drug test and could be facing a one year or longer ban from the league.

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO AND JASON COLEasalguero@MiamiHerald.com

After testing positive for marijuana in three previous NFL drug tests, Dolphins running back Ricky Williams tested positive again, but this time the banned substance is not marijuana, according to sources.

That was the latest bizarre twist in the player's on-going saga -- a saga that apparently is not over.

Two sources said the running back, who faces a minimum one-year ban from the league, has appealed his latest positive test in hopes of continuing his career.

''I would be blown away if Ricky Williams used drugs,'' said agent Leigh Steinberg, who represents Williams. ``And that's how most of the people around him also feel.''

Even if that is true and Williams has not been using street drugs, it would not preclude him testing positive for a banned substance. The NFL has a list of nearly a dozen so-called supplements that are banned. Even too much water in a urine sample can trigger a positive test result because it can be deemed a masking agent for drugs.

Williams has been in the NFL's drug treatment program, and that would not include testing for alcohol.

''This whole thing is a little confusing,'' said one source when asked what substance was found in Williams. ``I'll just leave it at that. The best way to say it is he violated the program.''

And Williams, who is out of the country and might not return until April, has detoured a promising Dolphins offseason.

The Dolphins were monitoring the possibility of making a trade for Williams and the Denver Broncos were interested in the running back. The Dolphins hoped to collect draft choices that might help add talent at need positions such as left tackle and cornerback.

But in doing their due diligence about Williams, the Broncos discovered the current positive drug test, according to a league source. A Denver television station on Sunday first reported news of Williams' positive test.

Steinberg seemed upset the news was leaked even before the appeal that could possibly prevent a suspension.

''It's really distressing that what is supposed to be a confidential, private rehabilitation and assistance program gets talked about by supposed league officials,'' Steinberg said. ``It runs completely contrary to the law and spirit of the program. For this to come out before we have had a chance to go through the appeal process is extremely disappointing.

``To me, it's the type of thing someone should be fired for.''
Don't know what to make of this, other than to say if Ricky plays next year it will probably be in Miami.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed.

Whether guilty or innocent of this it pretty much kills any trade value he had. He didn't test positive fro ganja. I wonder what came up on that test?

Agreed.

Whether guilty or innocent of this it pretty much kills any trade value he had. He didn't test positive fro ganja. I wonder what came up on that test?
failing to take a test either on your own accord or by accident, is cause for suspension,too..he might've been out of the country and missed a test, or refused to take one, both are possibilities..

It could have been a retroactive test in which they tested one of his previous successful drug test for a masking agent.

I wonder what it could be? Probably some Indian healing herbs or some other wacky medicine.

He probably took something he shoudln't have in an effort to get his body back into football shape. He should have talked to the doctor that is ahead of the curve...

When you're in Ricky's situation, there are no excuses IMHO. He's got the resources [as do the Dolphins] to make it crystal clear exactly what can and can't go into his body. He was playing on borrowed time as it was, so ANY misstep = :shrug:

That sucks.. you drink the amount of water that an athlete should take in and you fail a drug test. :thumbdown:

I hate that the NFL allows information like this to "leak". I have no patience for Ricky and I am not defending him, but there is an expectation of privacy, and the league really needs to find the sources that are in front of these sort of leaks and can them.

I hate that the NFL allows information like this to "leak". I have no patience for Ricky and I am not defending him, but there is an expectation of privacy, and the league really needs to find the sources that are in front of these sort of leaks and can them.
Good point. For a confidential program, it sure seems easy to find out how a player failed. Steinberg has every reason to be angry about this. Even if his client is a stunad.

I feel bad for the guy, seemed like he had turned his life around and now he's going to get nailed for some medicine that he most likely didn't know was banned by the NFL.

Seems like bad luck to me. Yes he made some mistakes, but it appears as though he turned the corner on his marijuana addiction.

I wouldn't be surprised if his appeal holds some merit.

Good point. For a confidential program, it sure seems easy to find out how a player failed. Steinberg has every reason to be angry about this. Even if his client is a stunad.
Agreed. My real concern is what affect this could have on drug testing going forward as well. The NFL and NFLPA have an agreement on drug testing, and confidentiallity is part of it. But that's a joke because we always hear about this stuff. I am kind of surprised the NFLPA hasn't really complained about it.

I feel bad for the guy, seemed like he had turned his life around and now he's going to get nailed for some medicine that he most likely didn't know was banned by the NFL.

Seems like bad luck to me. Yes he made some mistakes, but it appears as though he turned the corner on his marijuana addiction.

I see your point LHUCKS but how do you give a guy like Ricky the benefit of the doubt? He lost that right a couple of failed tests ago.

Ricky is into all those herbal medicines and teas and enjoys that lifestyle. I bet some ingredient in one of his hippy products hammered his test. If you look at Ricky right you can see the Spicolli in him....I’m not surprised it wasn't pot and I'm also sure he was shocked. Ricky is no Einstein.

Seems like bad luck to me.  Yes he made some mistakes, but it appears as though he turned the corner on his marijuana addiction.

I see your point LHUCKS but how do you give a guy like Ricky the benefit of the doubt? He lost that right a couple of failed tests ago.
Agreed.The answer is you can not. After someone is a 3 time loser, the rules should be draconian. Ricky gets a detailed list of what they are testing for and it is his responsiblity to avoid any questionable substances. Herbal medicine/supplements are not an excuse at this point. Olympic athletes/Track pros/Cyclists get banned for using sudafed. Those are the rules.

Those guys know everything they put into their bodies and exactly what it will or will not do, as well as if it will show up on a 8; 10 or higher panel drug screen. Also, any substance that shows up in a postive test result besides hippy lettuce most likely passed through the person's system within a 24-48 hour window of time prior to the adminstration of the test. I do not feel badly for the guy at all. There is a certain amount of empathy for his problem(s) with substance abuse and clinical depression but in no way to I feel sorry for the fact he has failed to get the help needed or listen to what they had to say, while pissing away a career. I agree with Jason. Williams is 3 failed drug tests and one attempt to quit on his team removed from the benefit of the doubt, opinion.

Portraying Ricky as the victim makes me :X
Agreed, Ricky isn't the victim here. He's had as many chances as anyone can ask for. I don't feel sorry for him, I feel sorry for his teammates who accepted him back and he didn't put in the time to find out from whoever what he can and cannot take so that there's no way he could ever let his team and city down again.I don't get this guy, and probably never will.

I feel bad for Ricky because he seems like a pretty decent guy, though he obviously has some issues. Makes me laugh cause he was initially punished for smoking pot which does nothing to enhance your on-field performance, yet guys are beating up their girlfriends/wives on the same team as Ricky and their punishment is much less severe.

Smoking pot - really bad

Beating wife - not so bad

Seems like bad luck to me.  Yes he made some mistakes, but it appears as though he turned the corner on his marijuana addiction.

Agreed.The answer is you can not. After someone is a 3 time loser, the rules should be draconian. Ricky gets a detailed list of what they are testing for and it is his responsiblity to avoid any questionable substances. Herbal medicine/supplements are not an excuse at this point. Olympic athletes/Track pros/Cyclists get banned for using sudafed. Those are the rules.
Those may be the rules, but I always feel bad for the guy that can't compete in the olympics because he mistakenly took some Sudafed.

I feel bad for Ricky because he seems like a pretty decent guy, though he obviously has some issues. Makes me laugh cause he was initially punished for smoking pot which does nothing to enhance your on-field performance, yet guys are beating up their girlfriends/wives on the same team as Ricky and their punishment is much less severe.

Smoking pot - really bad

I understand what you're saying, but it really doesn't hold any merit.Ricky taking drugs has nothing to do with what anyone else is doing.

Smoking pot - really bad

I understand what you're saying, but it really doesn't hold any merit.Ricky taking drugs has nothing to do with what anyone else is doing.
???Not sure what this means.

What I'm saying is that if you get caught with a joint by the NFL your punishment is greater than if you lump up your wife. Seems strange to me.

Smoking pot - really bad

What I'm saying is that if you get caught with a joint by the NFL your punishment is greater than if you lump up your wife. Seems strange to me.
:confused: 1st offense for failing a drug test is getting placed in the drug treatment program. 3rd offense is a 4 game suspension. 1st offense for beating your wife is a suspension (usually 4 games).

Is there something wrong with the following logic?...

1. Ricky didn't want to come back this year (he had retired).

2. He only came back because otherwise he'd have to fork over a big chunk of signing bonus money, which he probably smoked away.

3. Since he HAD to come back (his impression), the best way to not have to play football AND keep the signing bonus is to get suspended for another positive drug test.

4. However, he couldn't get a positive test right away, because that would look TOO suspicious and might cause him to have to give back the signing bonus money anyway.

5. SO...he guts it out for part of a season, purposefully gets a positive test (he has to know they're going to test him left and right). He doesn't have to play football, and he gets to keep all the money.

Where am I going wrong here?

Smoking pot - really bad

:confused: 1st offense for failing a drug test is getting placed in the drug treatment program. 3rd offense is a 4 game suspension. 1st offense for beating your wife is a suspension (usually 4 games).
How many games have Ahman Green and Randy McMichael been suspended? Both have had more than one domestic dispute IIRC. Michael Pittman tried to ram his pregnant wife in his car - you'd think that'd be a pretty big deal. Heck, I'd ban him from the NFL for life after something like that. I don't think the NFL really applies the suspension rule very offen, perhaps because it's difficult to figure out what really happened/spouses don't press charges etc.

2. He only came back because otherwise he'd have to fork over a big chunk of signing bonus money, which he probably smoked away.

3. Since he HAD to come back (his impression), the best way to not have to play football AND keep the signing bonus is to get suspended for another positive drug test.

4. However, he couldn't get a positive test right away, because that would look TOO suspicious and might cause him to have to give back the signing bonus money anyway.

5. SO...he guts it out for part of a season, purposefully gets a positive test (he has to know they're going to test him left and right). He doesn't have to play football, and he gets to keep all the money.

The problem with your logic is that the Dolphins never cleared him of the $8M he owes them. The fact of the matter is that he is currently playing for the league minimum and working off the rest of the $8M (which, after playing this last year, is something more like $5M now). I am sure the Dolphins did not leave "drug suspension" as a loophole for Ricky to get out of the money he owes them.

5. SO...he guts it out for part of a season, purposefully gets a positive test (he has to know they're going to test him left and right).  He doesn't have to play football, and he gets to keep all the money.

The problem with your logic is that the Dolphins never cleared him of the $8M he owes them. The fact of the matter is that he is currently playing for the league minimum and working off the rest of the $8M (which, after playing this last year, is something more like $5M now). I am sure the Dolphins did not leave "drug suspension" as a loophole for Ricky to get out of the money he owes them.
Thanks...makes sense now that you've added some facts I wasn't aware of. :goodposting:

Latest Williams situation unfortunate

By Adam Schefter

NFL Analyst

(Feb. 20, 2006) -- While Ricky Williams is back in the headlines in the United States, the running back might not even be aware of it.

Williams currently is in India, and will be for at least the next month, taking part in the same Sivananda yoga program that helped him clean up his life at this time last year.

Williams is engaging in clean living at the same time a report surfaced accusing him of violating the NFL's substance abuse policy for a fourth time, which would lead to a one-year suspension.

Williams had seemed to be on the right track until this latest report.

Williams either missed a test or failed one, which accounted for his latest strike. The report, first aired on KDVR-TV in Denver, contradicts Williams' behavior, which is one reason that the running back's agent, Leigh Steinberg, is so exasperated.

"I'm telling you, Ricky Williams is not using drugs," Steinberg said Monday. "While no one can ever get into someone else's heart, I'm confident he's made a real turnabout in his life and is living a drug-free life. Now the hard part is that he's been re-branded because of this report."

Williams will have to fend off questions, but the Dolphins attempts to deal the running back in the next month now will be thwarted. No team will be willing to trade for a running back that is facing a year-long suspension until or if he is exonerated.

If Steinberg is correct, Williams will be. But no answer on Williams' appeal is expected anytime soon, probably not anytime within the next month.

Until a ruling on Williams' latest strike is issued, the Dolphins cannot deal their running back as they attempt to stockpile draft choices and bolster their quarterback position. Trading Williams was a distinct possibility, and still might be, but those talks now will have to be tabled.

The fact that Williams is even being shopped is likely how the information about the running back's latest offense leaked. Teams are allowed to inquire to the NFL about the backgrounds of certain players before dealing for them.

Nick Saban felt Ricky Williams was a model player in 2005.

Add up the facts. The Broncos contacted the league, the league passed along its confidential information. Somehow, that information made its way on to a local TV station in the Broncos market. It's not real hard to connect those dots -- or at least how it looks like those dots are connected.

Now Williams' reputation is sullied, which angered Steinberg, the man left to clean up after his client.

"(Dolphins coach) Nick Saban called me after the season and said that I told him Ricky would be a coach's dream, and he was," Steinberg said. "Nick told me that Ricky was my best player, the one player I never had to worry about.

"That's why this is from outer space. Ricky Williams is not even close to being in this space anymore. He's totally different, totally clean."

Dolphins officials declined comment, citing the confidential nature of the league's substance-abuse policy.

It is the violation of that confidentiality that upset Steinberg, who once had a renowned client who tested positive, appealed the test, and was exonerated. Because his client was innocent, nobody outside the team and league found out about the offense, and Steinberg believes nobody should have learned anything about Williams, either.

Is there a chance that team trying to trade for him leaked this for his value to go down so they can get him even cheaper?

Is there a chance that team trying to trade for him leaked this for his value to go down so they can get him even cheaper?
From what I have heard is that the failed drug test was leaked from someone in the Denver Broncos. The Broncos were discussing trade, dug and got wind of th failed drug test and stopped persuing a trade.After which, I suspect somebody, who know somebody, who knew somebody in the Broncos organization leaked the information.

If a team leaked this they should get sanctioned big time. I understand their right to know but not their right to tell the local newspaper.

If a team leaked this they should get sanctioned big time. I understand their right to know but not their right to tell the local newspaper.
What I'm saying is that some unnamed source leaks false information so that his value drops and they can pick up the guy on the cheap. The timing of this is a little sketch. He is incommunicato for a month. Someone can leak this and Ricky can't come back and defend himself, get another test, etc.....I'm not defending Ricky, I'm just an innocent till proven guilty. A hear people talking about him not getting the benefit of the doubt anymore, but I haven't seen definitive proof yet that he did this. The league hasn't come out and said the story is true. Or maybe they have and I missed it. I don't know.....But until something more than, "unconfirmed sources," comes to light as proof that he did this, I'm not going to call him an idiot just yet....

What I'm saying is that some unnamed source leaks false information so that his value drops and they can pick up the guy on the cheap. The timing of this is a little sketch. He is incommunicato for a month. Someone can leak this and Ricky can't come back and defend himself, get another test, etc.....I'm not defending Ricky, I'm just an innocent till proven guilty. A hear people talking about him not getting the benefit of the doubt anymore, but I haven't seen definitive proof yet that he did this. The league hasn't come out and said the story is true. Or maybe they have and I missed it. I don't know.....But until something more than, "unconfirmed sources," comes to light as proof that he did this, I'm not going to call him an idiot just yet....
If the story is not true, the Dolphins and\or the NFL would have made an anouncement about it.

My concern is about someone leaking it true or not. The league and the dolphins CANNOT come out and say it is true or not, that violates the confidentiality agreement. Ricky is a waste case and an ###, I care little about him or what happens to him. What I DO care about is the way the league and/or teams seem to think these confidential results are things they can share with the media

If the story is not true, the Dolphins and\or the NFL would have made an anouncement about it.
I doubt they could. That would confirm test reuslts and is not allowed.Edited - Not that I in any way doubt the story. I am sure it is true.

The league and the dolphins CANNOT come out and say it is true or not.
Not sure about this. If they have not heard anything in regards to a failed drug test, I see no reason why they cannot come out and say, "The league has told us nothing of a failed drug test."

The league and the dolphins CANNOT come out and say it is true or not.
Not sure about this. If they have not heard anything in regards to a failed drug test, I see no reason why they cannot come out and say, "The league has told us nothing of a failed drug test."
Because someone could start this rumor every week about a different player, and when you hit a player that has tested positive the league would be unable to deny it and thus would confirm it.I could be wrong but I do not think they can share ANY information about the drug testing program until such time as a player gets penalized.

I could be wrong but I do not think they can share ANY information about the drug testing program until such time as a player gets penalized.
Technically, I don't think they would be sharing information if they did not in fact have the information to begin with.

FWIW...on ESPN radio today it was reported that Leigh Steinberg is vohemently supporting Williams...this carries some weight in NFL leadership circles because of the credibility Steinberg has built over the last 20+ years.

...this story is far from over.

FWIW...on ESPN radio today it was reported that Leigh Steinberg is vohemently supporting Williams...this carries some weight in NFL leadership circles because of the credibility Steinberg has built over the last 20+ years.

That's a great post. I think you are right that he has serious cred with the NFL front office's.

I honestly believe that this is all a big mistake this time, but when you've done things on purpose 3 times prior, it's hard for many to accept that...

You cried wolf once too often it seems Ricky.

Basically Leigh Steinberg was looking at a huge payday until this story broke.

Portraying Ricky as the victim makes me :X
:goodposting: I'm absolutely amazed that people still believe in Ricky. He's got mental problems and all he really cares about is having enough money to go on his around the world pot smoking tours.

That may or may not be true, but Steinberg has $eriou$ motivation to stand by Ricky, don't forget that.

That may or may not be true, but Steinberg has $eriou$ motivation to stand by Ricky, don't forget that.
I agree!Also, even if Lee was 100% sincere it still does not mean he hasa clue what Ricky is/was really doing.

I agree!Also, even if Lee was 100% sincere it still does not mean he hasa clue what Ricky is/was really doing.
Actually he has read in detail the results of the testing, per the ESPN report. :blackdot:

Actually he has read in detail the results of the testing, per the ESPN report. :blackdot:
Which still doesn't tell him what Ricky is doing, only what Ricky may or may not have been caught doing.

Users who are viewing this thread