What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rishard Matthews? (1 Viewer)

For those that might not know, KC and I are just having fun, we post back and forth in the FFA, no need to jump in the middle.

:suds:
Sounds like this is what PMs are for if you don't need people to jump in the middle.
Feel free to jump in the middle.

Matthews doesn't have to beat Wallace, or Hartline. He's really only competing with the return of Gibson next season. Not sure of the break down, but both are signed until 2016. Gibson has a $10 mil contract, while Matthews is $2 mil. Seems like Gibson could be in trouble based on guarantees.

For those that might not know, KC and I are just having fun, we post back and forth in the FFA, no need to jump in the middle.

:suds:
Sounds like this is what PMs are for if you don't need people to jump in the middle.
Feel free to jump in the middle.

Matthews doesn't have to beat Wallace, or Hartline. He's really only competing with the return of Gibson next season. Not sure of the break down, but both are signed until 2016. Gibson has a $10 mil contract, while Matthews is $2 mil. Seems like Gibson could be in trouble based on guarantees.
Good point KC, now we are on to something. Will Mathews unseat Gibson? I believe that is almost a guarantee. Mathews is gonna be the slot WR in Miami for the foreseeable future. He is much cheaper than Gibson and Gibson doesn't count much against the cap when Miami cuts him.

Now, should Miami maybe think about keeping both of them since they both seem to produce the most? Well it is Miami we're talking about here. I would like to see both of them stay and perhaps push Hartline at least. Maybe a new GM will see that and figure out a way to keep both.

Of course a new coach, new GM, new offense, things might change anyways. But good point KC.

I've passed on too many WRs that were never supposed to do anything to pass on him. Hartline is mediocre at best. Wallace is really just a deep threat if that. Matthews may not live up to one week hype, but he has the measurables that make me take a flier on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
From someone that's been making a play on Matthews since Gibson went down, I'm still on the fence if he's a 2013 story. He's been making key plays all season and he is just getting a decent look. Over time I think he's a WR1 in the mold of Garcon-Cruz. In PPR I wouldn't mind him as my WR3/flex.

I've passed on too many WRs that were never supposed to do anything to pass on him. Hartline is mediocre at best. Wallace is really just a deep threat if that. Matthews may not live up to one week hype, but he has the measurables that make me take a flier on him.
your sales pitch relies a bit on hyperbole, but overall I agree he's worth a stash and see as a WR6 on redraft rosters. Not tempted in the least in getting him in my lineup now, but worth a gamble he can continue being a target hog.

Rotoworld:

Rishard Matthews - WR - Dolphins
The Palm Beach Post considers Richard Matthews the favorite for the Dolphins' slot receiver job.

Matthews took over as Miami's slot receiver in Week 9 last season, filling in for an injured Brandon Gibson. He appeared in all 16 games (five starts) and finished with 41 catches, 448 yards, and two touchdowns. Gibson is owed $3.7 million in 2014 and in jeopardy of losing his roster spot coming off knee surgery. The Fins also signed Damian Williams, who should serve as the No. 4 receiver.

Related: Brandon Gibson

Source: Palm Beach Post

If Miami gets a receiver as high as the second round, it would likely mean the end for receiver Brian Hartline after the 2014 season, the source said. Miami would save $4 million by releasing Hartline after this season.

If the Dolphins take a receiver in a later round he will be expected to compete with Rishard Matthews. Brandon Gibson is solidified as the No. 3 receiver but the Dolphins have had discussions about replacing Matthews and receiver Armon Binns, the source said.

Matthews replaced Gibson as the teams slot receiver when Gibson tore his patella tendon last season. Both players put up good stats in 2013 as quarterback Ryan Tannehill often targeted the slot spot. Matthews finished the season with 448 receiving yards and two touchdowns. Both touchdowns came in a Week 11 breakout performance against Tampa Bay.

Gibson had 326 receiving yards and three touchdowns in seven games. Binns tore his ACL before the season.

Both Hartline and Gibson are expected to be recovered knee injuries by mini camp, the source said. Hartline tore his PCL in the season finale against the New York Jets.
Seems like conflicting reports between writers from the same paper. Is this a smoke screen? Not only is it the same paper, it's the same writer ???- See more at: http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2014/04/18/source-dolphins-like-kouandjio-in-first-round-plan-to-move-misi-to-inside-linebacker/#sthash.wjp6bB8B.dpuf

I don't think its in conflict. I think he's saying that Gibson is the No. 3 WR and slot guy, but Matthews replaced him last year while Gibson was out with the patella tear?

I don't think its in conflict. I think he's saying that Gibson is the No. 3 WR and slot guy, but Matthews replaced him last year while Gibson was out with the patella tear?
in the post above the writer puts him at wr3 and the week later says he might be replaced. Read the articles, dude contradicts himself

Rotoworld:

ESPN Dolphins reporter James Walker only expects Miami to keep six of the 11 wide receivers currently on the roster.

Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline and newly-drafted Jarvis Landry are locks to make the roster. Sixth-round WR Matt Hazel has a great shot as well. That leaves Rishard Matthews, Armon Binns, and Brandon Gibson to fight for two spots. Binns is recovering from an ACL and MCL tear suffered last July, but the Dolphins are reportedly very intrigued by his potential. Gibson is coming back from a torn patellar tendon, and Matthews is reportedly not a favorite of coach Joe Philbin. The smart money is one or both of Matthews and Gibson being cut.

Source: James Walker on Twitter

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins "haven't been happy" with Rishard Matthews for "tardiness, lack of attention to detail and other issues."

In other words, he'll have to have a monster camp and preseason to earn the Dolphins' final receiver spot. Matthews hopes a recent meeting with coach Joe Philbin helped his cause. "I had some (missteps) my first couple years being young," Matthews, who turns 25 in October, said. "They want me to be more professional off the field, as well as on the field. ... Coach Philbin sat down with me and gave me the ropes. We’re definitely on the same page." Matthews is facing an uphill battle with draft picks Jarvis Landry and Matt Hazel added to the Dolphins' crowded receiver corps.

Source: Miami Herald

Jun 3 - 6:25 PM

Question is does he have what it takes if he matures enough to become a 'pro'? From what I saw in that Tampa game, the talent is certainly there. Reminds me of a smaller Brandon Marshall

the question from my above post still remains?? Was gearing up to cut up before I read this...I own him in a 12x30 non-IDP PPR dynasty

mattrEgan20

@mattrEgan20

@JamesWalkerNFL Who do you see emerging as the teams 3rd receiver, Landry/Binns/Gibson or other?

Jun. 12, 2014ReplyRetweetFavorite

Walker: The leader in the clubhouse right now is Rishard Matthews due to the injuries (Brandon Gibson) and inexperience (Jarvis Landry) of the other competitors. But its hard to say the competition is really on until all three players fully participate in practice during training camp. Gibson remains limited in practice following last years season-ending knee injury. He is the incumbent, but it depends on how well Gibson returns. He may or may not be the same player. Landry has a shot but still has a lot of ground to make up as a rookie. If the season started today, Matthews would be the No. 3 receiver. But there are still three months left in this competition.
http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/8087/miami-dolphins-twitter-mailbag-2

Rotoworld:

Amid reports he's in the doghouse, coach Joe Philbin offered up some praise for third-year WR Rishard Matthews following minicamp.

"Rishard had a really good camp," said Philbin. Matthews claims he and Philbin "ironed out their issues" during an offseason chat. He admitted "being late to a couple of meetings, among other things." The Fins have a three-way battle at slot receiver, with rookie Jarvis Landry pushing Matthews and Brandon Gibson.

Jun 20 - 12:35 PM

Rotoworld:

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said WR Rishard Matthews is "without a doubt" having a good camp.
Matthews is a release-candidate with Brandon Gibson healthy, and rookie Jarvis Landry expected to open the season as one of Miami's top four wideouts. He needs to hold off Armon Binns, Damian Williams and Marcus Thigpen. The Dolphins can create $556,597 in cap savings by releasing Matthews.

Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Dolphins locks at WR:

Wallace

Hartline

Landry

Gibson

5th and 6th spots are up for grabs and Matthews and Williams are battling it out for that 5th spot.

Thigpen is on the chopping block (and IMO going to be cut for sure unless he shows great returning ability in the pre-season), Binns who was having a fantastic camp last season needs to really show it this year in pre-season after that knee injury wiped out 2013 for him.

If I had to bet Matthews makes the team. Great route runner and sure hands. A perfect possession WR.

I think Landry was a tremendous draft pick and a future PPR machine.

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald reports some Dolphins players believe WR Rishard Matthews would "thrive if he had a larger role."

Matthews tried to force a trade earlier this offseason, but it doesn't appear to have hurt his standing amongst his teammates. Matthews has always offered promise in the slot, but is a redundant talent on a team with Jarvis Landry and Greg Jennings. Coming off a 12-catch season, Matthews will be no higher than No. 5 on the depth chart if DeVante Parker (foot surgery) is ready for Week 1.

Jul 3 - 1:27 AM

I knew this guy had a thread ... thought it was updated at least a few times this week, though.

Two questions:

1) Is Matthews pretty exclusively in the slot, or does he split wide sometimes?

2) Is Greg Jennings a serious impediment to targets for Matthews? Thought Jennings was beyond done, but not sure how Jennings is actually doing in Miami.

Doug B said:
I knew this guy had a thread ... thought it was updated at least a few times this week, though.

Two questions:

1) Is Matthews pretty exclusively in the slot, or does he split wide sometimes?

2) Is Greg Jennings a serious impediment to targets for Matthews? Thought Jennings was beyond done, but not sure how Jennings is actually doing in Miami.
He started out wide opposite Jennings this week. Landry is predominantly in the slot and plays the bulk of the snaps. He had a nice offseason, and scored last week in the opener, but his talent is not in the same stratosphere as we are led to believe Parker's is. He may start a few more weeks, but Stills will eventually get more looks, and Parker should soon take over a starting spot.

IMO, Landry and Parker will eventually be reads 1/2, with Cameron likely being 3. Then you have Jennings, Stills, and Matthews fighting for scraps.

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald reports some Dolphins players believe WR Rishard Matthews would "thrive if he had a larger role."

Matthews tried to force a trade earlier this offseason, but it doesn't appear to have hurt his standing amongst his teammates. Matthews has always offered promise in the slot, but is a redundant talent on a team with Jarvis Landry and Greg Jennings. Coming off a 12-catch season, Matthews will be no higher than No. 5 on the depth chart if DeVante Parker (foot surgery) is ready for Week 1.

Jul 3 - 1:27 AM
...lots of positive feedback from players on the Dolphins' receivers beyond the top four -- some believe Rishard Matthews would thrive if he had a larger role...
This seems to be happening.

Only question is if Parker takes it right back from him.

Btw I have no idea what happened to the running game on this team. They need a second good RB for it to work IMO.

Surprised there's not more buzz in this guy. If he can cement himself as the #2 he could be a nice pickup.

Surprised there's not more buzz in this guy. If he can cement himself as the #2 he could be a nice pickup.
Think there's too many mouths to feed and the offense isn't good enough to support all of them. You have Miller, Landry, Cameron, Matthews, Parker, Stills and Jennings. Once Parker gets up to speed, I don't think Matthews will have much value. At best right now, Matthews is the 3rd option in a passing attack that isn't very high powered.

I really like what I've seen from him, honestly he's impressed me just as much as Landry has. Worth a pickup if you have enough bench room. Especially if you own Parker since everyone seems to keep projecting that he'll be the reason why Matthews ends up fading.

Looks like I might have solved some of my WR issues. Glad I was so desperate that I had to start him. He looks the #1 WR in Miami and Miami seems hellbent on passing a lot.

Through 3 games:

23 targets, 16 receptions, 262 yards and 3 TDs on pace for 85/1400/16

If his name was Devante Parker or Kenny Stills, people would be ******* in their pants. I think this is the WR to own in Miami and don't see any reason he can't keep it up. He is playing well from what I have seen. Anyone have thoughts or observations here?

Hes not the wr to own. That's still Landry but hes 1b to Landry
I am not sure in standard. Matthews outperformed him in week 1 and 3, they were basically equal in week 2.
im saying its like a dt/sanders situation. I'd rather own dt but there will be plenty of games that sanders outscores him. Plus parker looms. Landry is not losing his job.
Gotcha, makes sense. Landry is definitely cemented as the top target. His targets just tend to be short yardage looks.

I am not sure in standard. Matthews outperformed him in week 1 and 3, they were basically equal in week 2.
im saying its like a dt/sanders situation. I'd rather own dt but there will be plenty of games that sanders outscores him. Plus parker looms. Landry is not losing his job.
Gotcha, makes sense. Landry is definitely cemented as the top target. His targets just tend to be short yardage looks.
well that's pretty much all rt throws

well that's pretty much all rt throws
Landry is averaging 9 ypc, Matthews is at 16 ypc.

Maybe Matthews is a sell now guy? Pair him with someone else in a 2 for 1. He has the numbers and for people that like rankings, he is WR8 in standard at the moment.

I tend to think this guy is no better (or worse) than Landry. Maybe I'm just speaking in a vacuum here and just going based on stats, but I've never thought that Landry would ever be a superstar talent like ODB or someone.. I still think Landry is better in PPR formats than standard. If that's truly the case I think there is room to grow in this offense for Matthews. Add to that Parker being a raw talent that needs more reps, I think Matthews is a decent flex play until further notice.

The scores do sound fluky or garbage time. Then again the Phins are passing all the time and the run game seems null. His snap percentage has gone down with Parker getting time the last 2 weeks though to just over 50%.

The Dolphins are dumb for drafting Parker. They already had a great WR on the roster they weren't using. Parker is a great prospect but they needed help other places. This guy will disappear soon.

Lol Miami.

Billy Ball Thorton said:
Looking to buy in dynasty, a mid 2nd do it?
Unless you are really down on Parker, I wouldn't pay more than a 3rd rounder. The number of passing attempts and garbage time production from the last 3 weeks is unlikely to hold. Miami is also bound to try to get the running game going. Hard to project him getting more than 4-5 targets / game.

Users who are viewing this thread