What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Road rage is out of control (1 Viewer)

GB living in the rural Midwest. Our biggest traffic problem is that nobody wants to be the guy who goes first at a four way stop.
Same here. Can’t remember the last time I heard a horn. I sometimes have to remind myself to drive with “island style”.

I wonder which state has the most polite drivers?

More people more problems. Malthusian economics can be applied to society in general. Exponential population growth while resources grow linearly equals a problem. Same can be said of infrastructure, Some of the interstates (81, 64, 95 in places) and transit roads in Virginia are the same size as they were 40 years ago. Cars on the road has grown exponentially. More density = more angry people.
This can be true, but not universally so. Japan is densely populated, yet most everything seems to proceed in a polite, orderly manner.

More people more problems. Malthusian economics can be applied to society in general. Exponential population growth while resources grow linearly equals a problem. Same can be said of infrastructure, Some of the interstates (81, 64, 95 in places) and transit roads in Virginia are the same size as they were 40 years ago. Cars on the road has grown exponentially. More density = more angry people.
+1 to this. I lived in central IN for quite a while, and I know what 465 was like 25 years ago. It was a zoo then, and I don't doubt that it's worse now. When I moved to my current low population density area, you could feel it instantly when you're in your car. People are a lot more chill when there's no need to jockey for position. Don't underestimate the role that truck traffic plays too. No semis = more chill.
I think larger vehicles in general, not just semis, promote problems. At the minimum, full-sized trucks and SUVs obstruct smaller vehicles field of view and leave less space for error.

+1 to this. I lived in central IN for quite a while, and I know what 465 was like 25 years ago. It was a zoo then, and I don't doubt that it's worse now. When I moved to my current low population density area, you could feel it instantly when you're in your car. People are a lot more chill when there's no need to jockey for position. Don't underestimate the role that truck traffic plays too. No semis = more chill.
I think larger vehicles in general, not just semis, promote problems. At the minimum, full-sized trucks and SUVs obstruct smaller vehicles field of view and leave less space for error.
I can't tell you how many times I have to pass up an open spot because some giant tank-like SUV or truck is parked right on or even over the line so they have more room on the driver side to get out. Especially annoying when it's at the airport and I am trying to make a morning flight. My 2020 Kia is like my pride and joy (I don't really have many "nice things") and I've already noticed a couple dings in the doors which I'm sure I've got from other car doors.

A lot of this is a huge reason I don't mind my long commute to work (start at 7am). I live in a city with no city type traffic. No rush, no hustle and bustle.
The closer you get to my work the worse it all gets.
I very much enjoy living in an area where people not from that area have no reason to go there.

Starting in 7th grade: De-escalating anger, negotiation tactics, argument fairness, critical thinking, reasoning, etc.
The problem is it won't work at that age. Our oldest son has been diagnosed with ADHD and I remember meeting with this wonderful Doctor who explained to my wife and I how the adolescent brain develops and what capabilities they have at certain ages.
He said the biggest mistake parents can make is assuming their children are little or young adults. When parents are befuddled by their child's behavior it is often because the child doesn't have the same thought process (i.e. doesn't have the ability to consider consequences of their actions) as the parent does.
And yet this was a solved problem two generations ago. Brains developed the same way back then. What changed? It wasn't our biology.
I'm not sure what you are saying was a solved problem two generations ago? How much has changed in our world vs two generations ago?
Hastur was saying we should start teaching these things in 7th grade. Are you saying these things were being taught in schools two generations ago?
We didn't need schools for this sort of thing when we (or any previous generation) was growing up. The fact that we're even discussing the need to work it into the curriculum is a sign that things have gone sideways.
I'm not sure why you are replying to my posts?
Your responses don't really have anything to do with my posts and speak to broader issues.
Sorry. None of this was directed at you personally - my apologies if it came across that way.

I agree, but semis are uniquely bad imo because of the slowness and lack of acceleration. We don't have trucks where I live, but they're horrible in corridors that we often drive though, like KC to STL. Pickups are a little silly, admittedly.

I just witnessed some of this last week. I had to fly back to Indiana for a family situation and I drove down to Indy and spent a few days between downtown and the northside. I was driving us east on 465 and I was in the middle lane doing about 5 to 10 mph above the speed limit. This guy in a work truck was doing some severe tailgating and I don't why...I was in the middle lane and he could have passed me on the left or right. I tapped the brakes to try to push him back....but then he started flipping me off, he then passed me on the right and then got off on the next exit. That whole exchange made no sense...why was on my *** and pissed off if was getting ready to exit??? Please are way too angry in this world.
In another thread, I posted something about a recent experience I had with some unhinged lady I witnessed driving my kids home. This chick was going about 30 MPH in a 40 MPH zone and I was behind her, ended up flipping my signal on and passed her (2 lanes going each way, she was in the right lane, so I wasn't doing anything overly aggressive). As I passed her I happened to look in my rear view mirror and saw that she was screaming and gesturing at me (or I assumed). Sure enough, as we went a half mile or so down the road and stopped at a light, she came up next to us and was screaming at me for some strange reason. I wasn't tailgating her, didn't honk, didn't do anything aggressive but pass her on the left at or below the speed limit. People are just crazy and are looking for something to scream about. I pretended to ignore her and thankfully my kids didn't notice anything.
She was just trying to point out the guy riding under your vehicle Cape Fear style.

I used to give a little courtesy honk if someone at a light was snoozing. Nothing aggressive or anything, and several seconds after the light turned if they’re still standing on their brake.

I stopped probably 2 years ago just because of the ramp up in driver anger. I’m not getting myself or my family shot, followed, stalked, etc by some loon.

I've gotten mad at drivers, yelled at them, really to myself in my car, may have even made a hand gesture or two...A flip off would be rare but probably well deserved in my eyes if I did it.
However, never ever in my life have I wanted to physically hurt someone, or attempt to hurt someone, over it. And shooting someone over it? I can't even process that in my mind.

I just witnessed some of this last week. I had to fly back to Indiana for a family situation and I drove down to Indy and spent a few days between downtown and the northside. I was driving us east on 465 and I was in the middle lane doing about 5 to 10 mph above the speed limit. This guy in a work truck was doing some severe tailgating and I don't why...I was in the middle lane and he could have passed me on the left or right. I tapped the brakes to try to push him back....but then he started flipping me off, he then passed me on the right and then got off on the next exit. That whole exchange made no sense...why was on my *** and pissed off if was getting ready to exit??? Please are way too angry in this world.
In another thread, I posted something about a recent experience I had with some unhinged lady I witnessed driving my kids home. This chick was going about 30 MPH in a 40 MPH zone and I was behind her, ended up flipping my signal on and passed her (2 lanes going each way, she was in the right lane, so I wasn't doing anything overly aggressive). As I passed her I happened to look in my rear view mirror and saw that she was screaming and gesturing at me (or I assumed). Sure enough, as we went a half mile or so down the road and stopped at a light, she came up next to us and was screaming at me for some strange reason. I wasn't tailgating her, didn't honk, didn't do anything aggressive but pass her on the left at or below the speed limit. People are just crazy and are looking for something to scream about. I pretended to ignore her and thankfully my kids didn't notice anything.
Maybe she thought it was a school zone?

What I've noticed since covid......people at stop lights leave a ridiculous amount of space between them and car in front....especially annoying in the left turn lane, when there is limited space anyway waiting for the arrow,,,,brutal here is SOCAL....

What I've noticed since covid......people at stop lights leave a ridiculous amount of space between them and car in front.
Wow, that is really taking the COVID distance recommendations to a new level.

Yea....either that or they are on their phones and leave a ton of space afraid to hit the car in front while texting....and then they wonder why it takes 2 or 3 cycles to get thru a light...

WTF is wrong with people these days???

Nothing shocks me anymore in this rage induced society we live in today.
Honestly I think the rage was always there, just subdued. COVID ripped the lid off of it keeping folks bottled up for a year or more and when we all came back together, well, here we are. Driving is noticeably worse. Not so much road rage around here but the amount of folks who don't bother to stop at red lights or try to squeeze in to make a light or turn into traffic is ridiculously increased. Almost every time I drive I witness a near accident that was/is completely unavoidable.
Another issue is that vehicles are getting faster, more maneuverable, stop faster and safer. Our vehicles are much more aligned with road page then 1960s vehicles.

While in the traffic jam going to a NASCAR race a few weeks ago, twice a vehicle tried to enter a gas station by cutting through the side street, which was blocked with traffic, rather than wait for the light to change to go through it and get to the entrance on the main road that wasn't blocked. I was behind the car on the side street that was in front of the side entrance to the gas station. Both times the cutting vehicle driver rolled down his window and started yelling at the guy in front of me (who couldn't move). Both times, the guy in front of me got out of his car and went up to the guy that was yelling at him to yell back. At one point my son said "daddy, you should honk at them." I said, "Hell no, we have no idea who is carrying a gun these days."

About 15 years ago I was on my way to a job interview and almost late due to traffic. A guy cut me off turning left in front of me (going the other way) so I flipped him off.

In the rear view I see him due an abrupt U turn, come up and tailgate me and then pull up beside me at the next light. He gets out of his car and calls me out to get out and fight 😂. I just ignored him.

Not sure what would have happened if he had a gun. Ever since I use this as a reminder that you never know what kind of unhinged people you are dealing with on the road.

Similar experience within the past year.

I live in a part of Virginia Beach that is a mix of middle class to upper middle class to affluent (those who live on the water in my neighborhood). To get to my house, I have to turn off a main boulevard and drive 3 miles straight back into a series of neighborhoods. The first half is two lanes in each direction, then necks down to one lane in each direction. I turned off the boulevard and was in the right lane initially. About half a mile in, there is an intersection with a cross street with no stoplight. My lanes do not have a stop sign, the cross street does. A guy turned left right in front of me from the cross street, and I had to brake hard to avoid hitting him and honked my horn.

I shook my head and proceeded on my way, not really thinking more about it. As I approached my cul-de-sac and slowed to turn in, I realized a car was tailgating me. Once he turned in behind me, I realized it was the same car. My house is the first on the left, so I turned into my driveway and stopped right at the end to ensure he couldn't pull in the driveway. I got out of my car and faced the guy, who had pulled across the opening to the driveway facing into the cul-de-sac. I was very aware that he could have a weapon, and I did not. But my wife and in-laws were in the house, so I felt I had to face him and try to put an end to the situation.

He just screamed obscenities at me for a good 3-4 minutes, but he stayed in his car. I gather he was angry because I honked my horn at him when he pulled out in front of me and almost caused an accident. Then he raced into the cul-de-sac, whipped around, and then stopped in front of my driveway again, now with his passenger window down. It occurred to me that he might raise a gun and shoot at me through the open window, but he just continued to scream more obscenities. I thought for sure he was going to get out and I was going to be in the first fight I've been in for more than 30 years, right on my front lawn. But he just screamed more obscenities and then sped off.

I don't know why I didn't think to pull out my phone and film it, but who knows if that would have been an escalating trigger.

I'm thankful he didn't do anything worse or (apparently) have a gun. And I am definitely much more reluctant to honk my horn now...

Last edited:
I'd add that I think there is a link between all the safety equipment in cars and drivers being more reckless on the road. If one gets in an accident there are seat belts, air bags, and well built cars to protect them from dying. So maybe they get hurt. But to them it's worth the risk. Without all that protection less people would be reckless.

Kinda like the NFL. With all the protective gear of pads, newer helmets, better conditioning ... it's worth the risk to throw ones body around. Without protection, they'd be more cautious.

I'm pretty old school, but I'd be fine if they capped US cars at say 85 MPH or whatever the highest speed limit in a state is. Road cars don't need to go faster. Then cap police cars at say 100 mph so they can catch whoever. Honestly, what's the reasoning a car needs to be able to go 130 mph other than as a kid we were dumb enough to try it. If cars are capped out on speed, there would be less rage about the car in front or behind you. I know engines perform better if designed to go faster. But you can simply put a governor on it.

Last edited:
Had my own incident 4-5 months ago but I was the aggressor. My 12 year old daughter had to calm me down. Not my finest moment and I’ve since tried to de-stress my life. For me it had little to do with driving but stress and feeling a lack of control of my life in general. Think that’s the case with many of these situations. Road rage is just the outlet. For many right now the job market sucks, the economy sucks and they have little to aspire to. A lot of people are teetering on the edge.

Had my own incident 4-5 months ago but I was the aggressor. My 12 year old daughter had to calm me down. Not my finest moment and I’ve since tried to de-stress my life. For me it had little to do with driving but stress and feeling a lack of control of my life in general. Think that’s the case with many of these situations. Road rage is just the outlet. For many right now the job market sucks, the economy sucks and they have little to aspire to. A lot of people are teetering on the edge.
Man, sorry to hear that.

It may not be the stereotypical symptoms, but you are describing depression and I reacted the same way to it. I've been exactly where you were. If it is continuing, you may need to see a counselor (I had limited success there) or take medication (had more success initially here).

Last edited:
I had a fake incident once - some car started following us through way too many turns from downtown all the way into our driveway. We noticed it and I was freaking out when they turned into our driveway, wondering what was happening and how this was going to go.

Dude rolled down his window frantically apologizing - he was following a friend with the same kind of car as me and they got slightly separated in traffic. As soon as I got out of the car, he realized he had followed a stranger into his driveway.

Sounds like the beginning of a tragic story for him, honestly - I'll bet he read stories like the pizza delivery kid who got an address wrong and got shot in someone's driveway and remembers this story with some relief.

Man, sorry to hear that.

It may not be the stereotypical symptoms, but you are describing depression and I reacted the same way to it. I've been exactly where you were. If it is continuing, you may need to see a counselor (I had limited success there) or take medication (had more success initially here).
Appreciate it and you are probably correct.

Maybe she thought it was a school zone?

Absolutely not, she was just crazy AF.

As I approached my cul-de-sac and slowed to turn in, I realized a car was tailgating me. Once he turned in behind me, I realized it was the same car. My house is the first on the left, so I turned into my driveway
If I noticed this I would have turned into someone else's driveway or just kept driving until he got bored with following me. No way am I letting some wack job that took to following me after I honked at him for something that was his fault know where I live.

It's gotten so bad in Austin, every time we go out, we make bets on how long it will take for someone to make a dumb *ss move in front of us. It's usually under 5 min. We are going to have to start betting on the number of times it happens during the drive now.

My observation is people drive like idiots in the morning on the way to work like they are in a hurry to get there...

And then on the way home, people are driving like they 98 years old.. I'm the opposite.. I'm in zero hurry to get to work, but after work, I'm driving it like I stole it.

I drive in one of the worst traffic cities in the U.S. - Atlanta. Honestly, for me the traffic is Same as Day 1. Now hearing of road rage incidents is alarming but I rarely encounter one because 1. I don't drive like a maniac. 2. I don't really speed much anymore except on long drives when there's a lot of miles not in major cities and 3. I've probably been lucky.

So, I agree with folks that it's people not dealing with the traffic or their emotions well. But I also have to wonder if this is another situation where we are hearing more and more about it due to the never-ending news cycle and specifically never ending outrage news cycle.

As I approached my cul-de-sac and slowed to turn in, I realized a car was tailgating me. Once he turned in behind me, I realized it was the same car. My house is the first on the left, so I turned into my driveway
If I noticed this I would have turned into someone else's driveway or just kept driving until he got bored with following me. No way am I letting some wack job that took to following me after I honked at him for something that was his fault know where I live.

Had I noticed him before I was turning into my cul-de-sac, I wouldn't have turned, but once I did I didn't think it was reasonable to turn around in the cul-de-sac since he could have just blocked my exit. I didn't really think of turning into another driveway. I thought of a lot of possible choices after it was over.

Right on cue, I just got a little taste of this in Albuquerque today. I'm accelerating up the entrance ramp to merge onto I-25. There is traffic, but nothing unusual. There is a car to my immediate left blocking me from merging, but he's going faster than me and I'm going to have plenty of room to merge behind him. Cool, easy. But just as my opportunity to merge opens up, the guy behind that guy intentionally speeds up to prevent me from merging in front of him. Pretty sure he did this as soon as I signalled, but I'm not 100% on that. For some reason, though, he really didn't want me on his interstate.

Anyway, I'm now out of road and I need to either get over or drive on the shoulder, so I just merge and admittedly cut the guy off, but he saw me, he saw me signal, I had waited for the first driver to pass, and this would have been a normal zipper merge had this guy not been a jerk. Plus my lane was ending in less than 100 feet. I really don't think I did anything wrong here.

The guy proceeded to lay on his horn, move into the next lane on the left (which was wide open the whole time), pass me, cut me off, and brake check me while flipping me off. My 78 year old dad is riding shotgun, so I just let it go. Eventually the guy went on with his day and I went on with mine, but I'm baffled as to why he did that.

Also, I'm driving a car with very out of state plates, which normally buys you some forbearance, but not this time! First time I've experienced this in probably 5 years minimum.

I have calmed down some, but this is also my thought. I would not go to my house. I have thought about where the closest police station was.

Right on cue, I just got a little taste of this in Albuquerque today. I'm accelerating up the entrance ramp to merge onto I-25. There is traffic, but nothing unusual. There is a car to my immediate left blocking me from merging, but he's going faster than me and I'm going to have plenty of room to merge behind him. Cool, easy. But just as my opportunity to merge opens up, the guy behind that guy intentionally speeds up to prevent me from merging in front of him. Pretty sure he did this as soon as I signalled, but I'm not 100% on that. For some reason, though, he really didn't want me on his interstate.

Anyway, I'm now out of road and I need to either get over or drive on the shoulder, so I just merge and admittedly cut the guy off, but he saw me, he saw me signal, I had waited for the first driver to pass, and this would have been a normal zipper merge had this guy not been a jerk. Plus my lane was ending in less than 100 feet. I really don't think I did anything wrong here.

The guy proceeded to lay on his horn, move into the next lane on the left (which was wide open the whole time), pass me, cut me off, and brake check me while flipping me off. My 78 year old dad is riding shotgun, so I just let it go. Eventually the guy went on with his day and I went on with mine, but I'm baffled as to why he did that.

Also, I'm driving a car with very out of state plates, which normally buys you some forbearance, but not this time! First time I've experienced this in probably 5 years minimum.
This. People just don't want you in front of them. This is also what causes traffic jams. As you said he could have changed lanes and all would have been happy.

My wife once told me if her dad died in a road rage incident, she wouldn't be surprised. I laughed it off as I didn't know him very well at the time and figured it was one of those things people exaggerate about.

Come to find out the man is probably narcissistic and is a lunatic on the road. I've been in the car for a couple incidents and was driving behind him for another. He is 100% of the mindset that anything anyone does on the road is to mess with him or challenge him. Other drivers can't make mistakes, it's always done on purpose, and he just sees red for the next 5 minutes.

He is the type of driver who will stop and try to fight someone. He'll run someone off the road if he thinks it's an appropriate response. The scariest part is the threshold to set him off is so minimal, it sucks to know there are drivers like him in the world.

If he meets another version of himself, I think there is a potential they will kill each other.

Starting in 7th grade: De-escalating anger, negotiation tactics, argument fairness, critical thinking, reasoning, etc.
The problem is it won't work at that age. Our oldest son has been diagnosed with ADHD and I remember meeting with this wonderful Doctor who explained to my wife and I how the adolescent brain develops and what capabilities they have at certain ages.
He said the biggest mistake parents can make is assuming their children are little or young adults. When parents are befuddled by their child's behavior it is often because the child doesn't have the same thought process (i.e. doesn't have the ability to consider consequences of their actions) as the parent does.
I agree with all your points. However, the 'subjects' I listed(if learned and applied) would greatly benefit society in general. Not only road rage, but relationships, politics, religion, etc.

If not 7th grade(As stated earlier, I agree with you regarding adolescent brain development. My youngest was diagnosed with ADHD and my wife and I had a very similar conversation with the doctor) then when do we as a society broach these subjects? I don't think you should wait until college, as that leaves a large portion of the general public out in the cold as it were.

Of course I am not speaking of FBG parents, but it seems parents in general do not discuss these subjects with their kids. Just look around at different aspects of American society will show you that. We cannot count on parents teaching their kids these skills. I am still looking for a plausible solution, and am open to ideas.

A prick….plain and simple.

@IvanKaramazov

crazy.

I have done a decent amount of driving in Europe and while i can drive fast, i believe in flow- which often means great awareness of drivers around us, appropriate lane changes and merging, gaging other people's speeds, etc.

In one of these threads I believe I mentioned that there are rare occasions that I do not signal. It is exactly to avoid such a situation. At a current speeds a lane change/merge can be seamless and safe. once that signal is made, many people change their rate (becoming possessive of the lane)- hindering flow and creating ambiguity.

that occurrence seemed very avoidable

I used to get very upset and I’ve had a few incidents.

One time a tow truck driver got out of his truck and grabbed a long steel prybar and started to walk towards my car. I had to essentially go into reverse and fein an attack by going into reverse to scare him and buy time for the cars to pass through the intersection before I blew through the light for my escape.

Not that long ago I was in the left lane behind a car so I couldnt go any faster. The car behind me starts riding my tail and after a minute I kinda give the “where would you like me to go” hand gesture. A few minute pass and they go around me. A few minutes later I catch up (driving normally, not chasing them) and they brake check me HARD and then won’t let me get around. This goes on for a few minutes before they speed off only to get stuck in stand still traffic over the next hill.

I pull next to the car to have a conversation with them- it’s a girl about my daughter’s age! She wont look at me or roll her window down so I just move on and try to forget the whole thing.

I have learned that most of the time these people are incapable of keeping their composure and I can usually make them feel really dumb by de-escalating the situation by talking to them calmly.

Staying calm (unlike my persona here) is the key. Don’t be a smart *** or goad them. Just stay super calm and it usually has a chilling effect on them. 99.9% of the time they feel embarrassed and stupid. Most double down and yell some obscenities or just pretend like they don’t see you or never did anything wrong. Occasionally it goes well and they apologize.

When my son was 7 or so I was driving him somewhere when another driver did something I did not appreciate(can't recall what) so I gave him the "effing jerk!" treatment in a loud outburst. Son says "Dad! I'm in the car ya know! You're almost as bad as Aunt Tammy!" She is mi S-I-L that looked after sonny while I was working. After having passengered with Aunt Tammy a few times since I can confirm, she is a worse rage driver than me. She scares me.

Most double down and yell some obscenities or just pretend like they don’t see you or never did anything wrong.

This statement is what gets me. I mean we are all human (ok maybe not all of us) but mistakes are going to happen. When I accidentally cut someone off I try and give the apology wave and my bad chest pat and that typically calms the other guy down and we go about our business. It's the people that start getting upset when they are completely at fault that pisses me off. When that happens I take it like it was done on purpose which there is no excuse for. Give me an apology wave and all good. Sometimes you make a mistake. Own it.

Most double down and yell some obscenities or just pretend like they don’t see you or never did anything wrong.

This statement is what gets me. I mean we are all human (ok maybe not all of us) but mistakes are going to happen. When I accidentally cut someone off I try and give the apology wave and my bad chest pat and that typically calms the other guy down and we go about our business. It's the people that start getting upset when they are completely at fault that pisses me off. When that happens I take it like it was done on purpose which there is no excuse for. Give me an apology wave and all good. Sometimes you make a mistake. Own it.
Exactly. I made a pretty bad mistake the other day making a left turn into oncoming traffic (thinking I had the turn signal), but I made visible apology gesture and the affected driver gave me a "no worries" smile and wave through. Just own it and normal people understand.

Forgot about one. I still question to understand. Going to work and was in the hospital parking garage. I was following behind a large truck. Open spot and I pulled in. Got out of my car and the truck had backed up behind me and the guy started screaming that I’m an F-ing ahole over and over. I honestly stayed perfectly calm and asked what he’s even talking about. He said he had planned to back up into that spot. I said….how am I supposed to know that, you were half way up the ramp, no blinker on….im not a mind reader. I’ll move if you want, there are plenty of spaces up ahead. He went right back into calling me a F-ing ahole with absolute vitriol. I finally had enough and told him to F off and started walking towards him and he lit his tires up and sped off. I thought about continuing to walk after him as there’s no exit in that direction but just let it go. It’s a hospital, maybe he’s having a bad week. That said, I did move my car in case he came back to flatten my tires or something.

road rage absolutely shukes me. i drive now anticipating that people are morons, they are all texting and/or distracted and armed. so, i drive like i would ride the subway. no reaction, look at no one, zero eye contact.

This is where I'm generally at now as well. I am sure to give an appreciative wave to someone (like when I have my blinker on to change into their lane and they make room for me, for example) and an apologetic wave when I know I've done something wrong, but when someone else is doing something that bothers me, I've come to just stifle any impulse to let them know it with glares, gestures, etc. No good really comes from that anyway, and it keeps me from letting others have too much influence on my day.

Just yesterday I was on a street that goes through town and then becomes basically a small highway. There are two lanes in one direction and the speed limit goes from 30 to 40 and then 55. I was in the left lane - passing slower traffic on the right - and came up on a guy going 50 well after the speed limit changed to 55. I didn't tail him or anything. In fact, I kept extra room between us because it seemed he was driving just a bit too erratically for my taste. He kept at 50, so when the right lane opened up, I moved into that and sped up, passed by him, and was ready to move back into the left lane to pass another car in the right. But of course, the guy chose then to speed up to ~70 and keep me from changing lanes in front of him. I just happened to look over and see him glaring at me and shouting (or just mouthing) "A**H***!" Whatever. I figured I might as well stay in the right lane since he was most likely going to just ride side-by-side with the car in front of me, but shockingly he slowed down but still made the pass. So I got in the left lane, made the pass, came up to him and eventually passed him on the right again since it was clear sailing there and he wasn't budging from the left. Kept my eyes straight ahead and hands on the wheel as I did so. He already gave signs of being irrational, so no reason to engage at all.

I had an incident 20 or some years ago where I got followed home (didn't even know it was happening). I had absolutely no idea what was going on as there were no issues, close calls, honks, my entire drive home from work. At this point I didn't even have any idea how long this guy was following me.

The guy pulled into my driveway and got out. I asked him what I could do for him. I didn't even know he was mad or anything. Thought maybe he had a wrong address or something. He proceeded to start yelling at me for a rock that kicked up off the road about 5 miles ago while we were going down the highway. It apparently hit his windshield and cracked it. He brought me over to point it out. Sure enough there was a small spider crack on the corner of his windshield. I told him that sucked but what did he want me to do about it. He said I should pay for it. I laughed and then saw he was serious. I basically told him that I had no fault in this and wasn't even sure if that crack was new. For all I know he had it for a week and happened nowhere near me.

He started stammering. I wished him luck and I went into through the house through the garage and closed the garage door. I then went to the front window to make sure he wasn't going to try something and he eventually got back in his car and sped away. I never saw him again (thankfully).

I couldn't believe the guy was trying to get me to something about a random rock kickup off the road.

I had an incident 20 or some years ago where I got followed home (didn't even know it was happening). I had absolutely no idea what was going on as there were no issues, close calls, honks, my entire drive home from work. At this point I didn't even have any idea how long this guy was following me.

The guy pulled into my driveway and got out. I asked him what I could do for him. I didn't even know he was mad or anything. Thought maybe he had a wrong address or something. He proceeded to start yelling at me for a rock that kicked up off the road about 5 miles ago while we were going down the highway. It apparently hit his windshield and cracked it. He brought me over to point it out. Sure enough there was a small spider crack on the corner of his windshield. I told him that sucked but what did he want me to do about it. He said I should pay for it. I laughed and then saw he was serious. I basically told him that I had no fault in this and wasn't even sure if that crack was new. For all I know he had it for a week and happened nowhere near me.

He started stammering. I wished him luck and I went into through the house through the garage and closed the garage door. I then went to the front window to make sure he wasn't going to try something and he eventually got back in his car and sped away. I never saw him again (thankfully).

I couldn't believe the guy was trying to get me to something about a random rock kickup off the road.
as an fyi, i had once read that if you ever feel like you are being followed or unsafe, drive to a police station and park.

Users who are viewing this thread