What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roe v. Wade Overturned (2 Viewers)

Can we all admit that there is a significant percentage of men and women who are against abortion, and are now parading the overturn of Roe v. Wade, have either had at least one abortion or have supported someone who has had an abortion?

And I am so proud to be an American today while Brett Kavanaugh gets to decide how women make important life decisions and what they do with their bodies. 

And I am so proud to be an American today while Brett Kavanaugh gets to decide how women make important life decisions and what they do with their bodies. 

Kavanaugh isn't the only justice on the SCOTUS.  Weird that you singled him out - why did you do that?  He didn't even write the 1st draft of the majority opinion we're seeing - that was Alito.

Last edited by a moderator:
And shouldn’t be lost on anyone the irony of the fact that over 25% of the states have “trigger” laws making abortion a felony the instant this becomes official. If only George Carlin were alive today to speak on this subject. 

Its not okay to kill stuff. Well… it’s okay to kill stuff, but WE get to decide what is okay to kill and not kill. And WE can kill some stuff, but YOU cannot kill that stuff. 

You really can’t understand why I did that?! Now that’s weird!

Oh, you're talking about the 40 year old unproven allegations?  So, we're just taking that as fact now despite ZERO evidence?

We should probably stick to the topic and not delve too far into your Kavanaugh hatred.

Oh, you're talking about the 40 year old unproven allegations?  So, we're just taking that as fact now despite ZERO evidence?

We should probably stick to the topic and not delve too far into your Kavanaugh hatred.
He might also be referring to the fact that Susan Collins told the news media that Kavanaugh told her that Roe was settled law, would not vote to overturn it, and that was why she voted for him.

It would appear that either Collins or Kavanaugh lied about this, wouldn’t it? 

And at this moment, assuming this proceeds to the ultimate ending, men still have the power. Only now they have more power over women. Good job everyone!

He might also be referring to the fact that Susan Collins told the news media that Kavanaugh told her that Roe was settled law, would not vote to overturn it, and that was why she voted for him.

It would appear that either Collins or Kavanaugh lied about this, wouldn’t it? 

IF that is true then, sure, someone is lying but that's not what he was referring to at all.   Like, I'm not even sure how you came up with that analysis in the first place based upon his post.  :shrug:

And at this moment, assuming this proceeds to the ultimate ending, men still have the power. Only now they have more power over women. Good job everyone!

Yeah, okay, it's 1000 BC now.   

We could probably have better conversations without the over the top drama, hyperbole and representing things as not how they really are.

Yeah, okay, it's 1000 BC now.   

We could probably have better conversations without the over the top drama, hyperbole and representing things as not how they really are.
Hope your wives, daughters, sisters, aunts, nieces, female cousins, and female friends do not fall victim to not having control over their own bodies. Good luck mate. 

Glad we can establish that you are wrong. 

I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.  :shrug:

Your post:

"Can we all admit that there is a significant percentage of men and women who are against abortion, and are now parading the overturn of Roe v. Wade, have either had at least one abortion or have supported someone who has had an abortion?"

I really don't think even this will galvanize young people to vote in the fall.  They'll see this as just another boomer induced tragedy that they'll have to bear.  Nihilism runs strong in the youth. And who can blame them after their childhood was all about terrorism, followed by the Great Recession, followed by massive student loan debt while the boomers enriched themselves via the asset run up, followed by a land war in Europe and the threat of nuclear annihilation.

I really don't think even this will galvanize young people to vote in the fall.  They'll see this as just another boomer induced tragedy that they'll have to bear.  Nihilism runs strong in the youth. And who can blame them after their childhood was all about terrorism, followed by the Great Recession, followed by massive student loan debt while the boomers enriched themselves via the asset run up, followed by a land war in Europe and the threat of nuclear annihilation.
I think the student loans, and your points will be bigger topics than Roe/Wade.

I hope you’re wrong. And I agree with you. 

Don't see the big deal here.  This simply becomes a State issue unless and until Congress creates a uniform law.  Abortions will still be legal and available in the United States.

Mid-terms just got turned on their heads.  Watch out for the fall now.  The story just changed...

Don't see the big deal here.  This simply becomes a State issue unless and until Congress creates a uniform law.  Abortions will still be legal and available in the United States.

I have to agree here.  Despite all of the drama and hyperbole surrounding this issue, women will still be able to get abortions if they want one.

Apologies if honda. Morning Brew often does a pretty good job of a simple summary. This is what they had today:

https://www.morningbrew.com/daily/issues/scotus-set-to-overturn-roe

Supreme Court votes to strike down Roe, leak suggests

The Supreme Court has voted to overturn Roe v. Wade, according to a draft opinion that was leaked to Politico. It’s a shocking development that would end the constitutional right to an abortion that has been enshrined since 1973.

The leak itself is unprecedented. Never in the court’s modern history has an opinion been made public while a case was pending, Politico noted. As a first draft, the opinion is subject to changes—and justices could change their votes before the final document is released, likely in the next two months.

How they voted:

Justice Samuel Alito, who wrote the decision to overturn Roe, was joined by Clarence Thomas, Neil M. Gorsuch, Brett M. Kavanaugh, and Amy Coney Barrett (the latter three were appointed by President Trump).

Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, and Elena Kagan are working on at least one dissent. Chief Justice John Roberts’s vote was unknown, but sources told CNN that he reportedly does not want to completely overturn Roe.

Alito, in the majority opinion, blasted Roe, calling it “egregiously wrong from the start.” He said the issue of abortion should be left to the “people’s elected representatives” and not the court system.

Why was Roe even being considered? A Mississippi law that would ban abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy was appealed all the way up to the Supreme Court. Some SCOTUS experts thought that the conservative-heavy court might narrow Roe’s scope…but it seems to have tossed it all together.

What happens next?

Should SCOTUS overturn Roe v. Wade, abortion laws would be left to individual states. That means immediately following the final ruling, abortions would become illegal in 13 states that have introduced “trigger laws” to ban the procedure. At least 17 states plus Washington, DC, have laws on the books to protect abortion rights in the same scenario.

But even before then, expect a seismic shift in American political discourse ahead of the midterm elections this fall. Corporate America, which has increasingly weighed in on hot-button political issues, will likely speak up as well. Just yesterday, Amazon joined several other corporate giants that have pledged to reimburse US employees who have to travel for abortions as states have moved to pass restrictive abortion laws. In fact, states passed 106 laws restricting abortion access in 2021, the most in any year since the Roe decision.

Big picture: Polls have consistently found that a majority of Americans oppose overturning Roe v. Wade. In a Marquette University Law School poll from January, 72% were opposed to striking it down, while 28% were in favor.—NF

Assorted thoughts after a night to mull things over...

SCOTUS really needs to identify the leaker.  If they don't, the country's political mistrust will somehow get worse.  The left will blame the right for the leak, and vice versa.  I don't necessarily agree, but a conservative writer on Reason wrote last night that if SCOTUS can't identify the leaker, Roberts should step down, even knowing that it would give liberals another seat.

The country is going to explode today regardless.

Joe Biden should keep his mouth shut today and not rant about a draft opinion from three months ago.  Anything other than "we're going to pull out all the stops to identify and prosecute the leaker" is just an unforced error (I guess I wouldn't have an issue with a speech consisting entirely of "we'll identify the leaker" but it still seems unnecessary).

I'm really, really pissed at Hillary Clinton and Ginsburg.  More pissed than usual at HRC.

I have to agree here.  People will still be able to get abortions if they want one.
I think it's a big deal in general, but also we will see with what you posted here.    I have been surprised at how some of the states have constructed their laws (TX, Cal) to incorporate enforcement mechanisms from the populace and what seems to be encouraging people to rat on each other - doctors who give them, people who help, etc..     So while you claim this, are states that ban it also going to go that route and prohibit people from traveling elsewhere to get one or helping somebody do so? 

Mid-terms just got turned on their heads.  Watch out for the fall now.  The story just changed...

Possibly.  However, if the left goes on a rioting, looting and arson tear like they did the previous decade then the mid-terms will just solidify for the red team.

Images of burning cities, looted business and bodies laying around isn't going to play well despite the expected "Mostly Peaceful Destruction" chyrons we'll be seeing.

Doubt it.  People vote with their wallets and their security.  Inflation will still be raging in November, that is a much, much bigger issue for families.

I disagree - apathy was going to kill the dems in the fall.  That apathy is 100% gone...

I think you guys are being really unrealistic and impractical. Biden is on the road today visiting some manufacturing plants. Every reporter is going to ask him about this. It’s the only issue on everyone’s minds. Of course he’s going to say something. 

I think it's a big deal in general, but also we will see with what you posted here.    I have been surprised at how some of the states have constructed their laws (TX, Cal) to incorporate enforcement mechanisms from the populace and what seems to be encouraging people to rat on each other - doctors who give them, people who help, etc..     So while you claim this, are states that ban it also going to go that route and prohibit people from traveling elsewhere to get one or helping somebody do so? 

Despite what one poster said earlier, States do not have laws that don't allow people to travel to get abortions.  That seemed to be more of an emotional response rather than a factual one.

if states DO that, then that would obviously be wrong, IMO, and certainly a case for the courts.

I think you guys are being really unrealistic and impractical. Biden is on the road today visiting some manufacturing plants. Every reporter is going to ask him about this. It’s the only issue on everyone’s minds. Of course he’s going to say something. 
There's ways he can say something w/o really engaging on it --

Can you go to California and buy marijuana if you live in a State that prohibits it?  How exactly could Texas prohibit a person from getting an abortion in New York?  

This is a wonderful position...(as I stand in line to get a vaccine that I was mandated to get).   
I know that anti-Covid vaxxers have been making this comparison for months now. I suspect that most pro-choice women (which is the strong majority of women) find this to be a rather grotesque comparison. I further suspect that after last night they will feel even more strongly that this is the case. 

The bigger deal is the leaking of the opinion, not the opinion itself.  
I strongly doubt that the overwhelming majority of the public is going to agree with you about this. Normally that doesn’t matter, but “big deal” is usually defined by what most people think. 

"I think it's premature to comment on a leaked document that may not be accurate and may bear no relevance to the final opinion."

I strongly doubt that the overwhelming majority of the public is going to agree with you about this. Normally that doesn’t matter, but “big deal” is usually defined by what most people think. 

It's the new talking point shaping up already Tim.  This isn't a big deal.  It's an effort to downplay the decision so it doesn't hurt them in the elections because they know this is going to cause trouble.  This isn't something that can be reversed or decided on again likely for decades.  It's a major deal and if it's played like that they lose but if they continue to drive home the message of 'who cares, you can still do whatever you want' then they can take the wind out.

Users who are viewing this thread