What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rookie Defensive player of the year! (1 Viewer)

Dismattle

Footballguy
Ive searched and read quite a bit on rookies that interest me...

But I havnt figured out a player like JJ two Seasons ago, and Kuechly last Season (man crush on P. Chung before them). Now if these names ring a bell to you (studs before takin the field) Who do you believe it will be this yr?

Personally I only added two Rookies to my team on D (Honey Badger n Bostic) But Im almost more happy I start six and carry 8...

fwiw I also liked Chandler Jones last Season who started out good, but played thru injury on both ankles (yeah I dropped JJ, and didn't make effort to redraft him)

p.s. I know this post could have been made in AC, tbh Im not so sure I would make changes (unless of course Jene posted) Im just kinda bummed that if somebody asked me who it is or who to take (I don't have the foggiest)

On a side note, I actually was close to 50/50 between Vaccarro and Mathieu. I already had the Badger in my cue, but when I decided to click draft (Vaccarro was hi-lighted) I actually had to make the change post draft.

Thanx for posting about J. Cyprien (gonna have to read up some for sure)

I drafted Cyprien but think he is a wait and see as I fortunately have other options. My guess is Ogletree after all the dust settles. He will get his tackled in that D and will add on a few more big plays than Jo-Lon would have there.

Alonso would have to a good chance. Has fewest question marks when it comes to playing time and you can't win it if you're not on the field!

Pole position as of Sep. 2nd has to be Kiko.

That can change fast, but if he stays healthy and is used as it appears he will be used he should have a buttload of opportunities.

Champion813 said:
Johnathan Cyprien
Are we talking real or fantasy? Because he hasn't looked too good at real football.
Care to explain how he has not looked good, I have only watched him play 2 quarters and he looked like a rookie at first but as he settled down he was around the ball a lot and delivering some hard hits. I think the below players will battle for rookie of the year

K. Alonso Buf

J. Cyprien Jac

S. Moore Oak

T. Matthieu Ari

I would like to point out that Kuechly had to fight for playing time in the the beginning of 2012. Took an injury to force Carolina to play him in the starting role. Then he tore it up. So the guy who win rookie MVP may not be tearing up in the preseason at all

Champion813 said:
Johnathan Cyprien
Are we talking real or fantasy? Because he hasn't looked too good at real football.
Care to explain how he has not looked good, I have only watched him play 2 quarters and he looked like a rookie at first but as he settled down he was around the ball a lot and delivering some hard hits.
The preseason is by no means the best method to evaluate a young player, but to say the least he has played like... well... a rookie. Excuse the pun... ;)

In fact... according to Pro Football Focus, he's graded out the worst amongst the top draftees:

=====================================

LOWEST GRADES

=====================================

33. John Cyprien, FS, Jacksonville Jaguars

Grade: -6.2

Snaps

: 74

Analysis: To say Cyprien has been slow out of the blocks would be something of an understatement. He’s been flagged for two penalties, bitten hard on a play action that resulted in a touchdown and been in primary coverage on a number of first downs conceeded. Let’s hope he’s better for the lumps he’s taken now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't really matter if he plays bad, as long as it's not so bad that they have to take him off the field. But yes, he has to stick tackles too.

seems like LB has won a lot lately...

early favorite brown not starting...

agree kiko one of favorites...

looks like bostic could start by default, at least initially, with DJ williams banged up... casserly said on total access he won't be three down, but haven't tried to confirm this... he can run and is pretty athletic, so I would think he will eventually be, not sure about immediately... if not, that would put damper on DROY hopes...

ogletree in week three of preseason (DEN) was best looking IDP I saw in preseason...

nor sure if mingo is recovered enough from bruised lung to play, he is practicing again...

jarvis jones flashed in preseason and has lot of big play upside, but he got injured... rare for PIT rookies to start (especially at that position) immediately, not much doubt in my mind he is more talented and explosive than worilds (lot of similarities to terrell suggs in terms of dropping in draft due to pedestrian 40 time despite stellar collegiate resume), i'd be surprised if he isn't starting sooner than later, so he could be dark horse...

ansah begins year hurt, very raw, but awesome physical tools... should help greatly with best DT tandem in league to distract OLs, likely he never sees double teams unless he explodes onto the scene...

dion jordan also was hurt (recovering from shoulder surgery), vernon olivier starting opposite wake... best case scenario is he excels in situational role similar to aldon smith as rookie, where he narrowly missed DROY to von miller...

among safeties, vaccaro and reid could have best shot...

At this point I'm leaning to:

Chicago MLB Jon Bostic

Playing MBL in Chicago is a high profile position that shold be highly productive and the cherry-on-top is that he has developed a propencity to make highlight-reel type plays.

Users who are viewing this thread