What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roseanne Barr tweets racist comment; her show is canceled (1 Viewer)

The made-up words are no obstacle to my understanding, but metaphors are. I tend to be overly literal to my own detriment. What foxes and henhouses are we talking about? Regulatory capture? What excuses for what corruption are we talking about?
Yeah, it’s all bull####.  Shocker.  

Henry Ford said:
I watched it.  The only thing that really bothered me was the laugh track. 
You know, I thought I hated laugh tracks until I watched the awkward silence of sitcoms like The Office. The persistent quiet made me uncomfortable.

You know, I thought I hated laugh tracks until I watched the awkward silence of sitcoms like The Office. The persistent quiet made me uncomfortable.
The Office never would have worked with a laugh track.  

As for Barr, she is annoying and I never liked the show because of how annoying she is. And I have no interest in watching this reboot. 

No matter what, whoever thought about including the MAGA storyline was a genius. It guaranteed people would talk about the show. You can't buy this kind of PR.  

Mario Kart said:
Roseanne's show has always been a representation of America. She is showing, through comedy, what most of America is going through within families. Trump should not be congratulating her nor should other Trump voters feel vindicated or anything. Same goes for Hilary voters. I don't think anyone is bothered by anything about the show, politically. People, Trump supporters, are grasping at anything to prop their puppet up. Vindication? Yeah, okay.
Ummmmmm..... Its like you aren't aware of the thread you posted this in. 

No matter what, whoever thought about including the MAGA storyline was a genius. It guaranteed people would talk about the show. You can't buy this kind of PR.  
Eh, on a serious note - see All in the Family. It can have substantive value in its own right but yeah it’s also a ratings driver. 

But also let’s face it Roseanne the show was a beloved no. 1 hit for years. Friends or Seinfeld or other hit shows starting the same actors would have a similar comeback debut.

I never liked Roseanne the show. That’s just me, so nothing but respect if you liked it. ... Really I’d think Goodman doing Archie Bunker Redux would make much more sense. He is also the far superior talent. Honestly the man’s a great actor, and he’s become giant vs the others on the show. He could be a great character in tv history but unfortunately it is and has to be about Roseanne, the comedienne.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never liked Roseanne the show. That’s just me, so nothing but respect if you liked it. But isn’t Roseanne the character a teacher? It seems pretty unlikely that in today’s world a female teacher would be a Trump follower. I know it happens, but really I’d think Goodman doing Archie Bunker Redux would make much more sense. He is also the far superior talent. Honestly the man’s a great actor, and he’s become giant vs the others on the show. He could be a great character in tv history but unfortunately it is and has to be about Roseanne, the comedienne.
She wasn't a teacher in the old show. She had a few different jobs if I recall correct but the job I most remember was as a waitress at a diner. 

Eh, on a serious note - see All in the Family. It can have substantive value in its own right but yeah it’s also a ratings driver. 

But also let’s face it Roseanne the show was a beloved no. 1 hit for years. Friends or Seinfeld or other hit shows starting the same actors would have a similar comeback debut.
True, but then again, a group of crybaby millennials are now spouting off about how offensive Friends was, so who really knows. 

All in the Family holds up extremely well (still a top 3 sitcom), but no way could a show with that kind of talk air as a new TV show in 2018. 

She wasn't a teacher in the old show. She had a few different jobs if I recall correct but the job I most remember was as a waitress at a diner. 
Ok I screwed that up, I’ll edit, I think I fried a synapse last night... I’ll stick by my John Goodman comment though.

Ha, they are? Why don’t they like it?
I can't remember all of the reasons, but the ones I remember are: 

-the episode where Chandler's co-worker thought he was gay, the friends tell him he has a quality that makes him come off like that, and Chandler getting worked up about it.
-the constant jokes about Monica being fat when she was younger (fat shaming!! LOL)
-the occasional jokes about Chandler's dad being a cross dresser
-no diversity in the cast (six main characters, all white, the horror!!!!)

What they don't realize is that a) this was a freaking comedic sitcom, not a drama, b) it was considered pretty ground-breaking at the time for the main character to have a gay soon-to-be ex-wife, and c) they showed a lesbian wedding on TV, which was pretty unheard of in the mid 90's.  

People are dumb nowadays. 

I can't remember all of the reasons, but the ones I remember are: 

-the episode where Chandler's co-worker thought he was gay, the friends tell him he has a quality that makes him come off like that, and Chandler getting worked up about it.
-the constant jokes about Monica being fat when she was younger (fat shaming!! LOL)
-the occasional jokes about Chandler's dad being a cross dresser
-no diversity in the cast (six main characters, all white, the horror!!!!)

What they don't realize is that a) this was a freaking comedic sitcom, not a drama, b) it was considered pretty ground-breaking at the time for the main character to have a gay soon-to-be ex-wife, and c) they showed a lesbian wedding on TV, which was pretty unheard of in the mid 90's.  

People are dumb nowadays. 
I believe the first interracial kiss in tv was on Star Trek.  That original series is still fraught with.... problematic themes and episodes from today’s perspective.  

I’m not saying I don’t appreciate a three breasted alien woman whose entire character’s purpose is sexually pleasuring the captain. I’m just saying the show had some  problematic themes. 
Damn, I missed an episode.  I always suspected I missed one of Gilligan's Island as well and I'm pretty sure Maryann and Ginger got freaky in that episode.

Caveat- I was never a fan. The wife was, but I thought the show was stupid (like most sitcoms) and I was never a fan of her either. I was slightly amused by her rendition of the National Anthem, particularly because of the outrage from overly pious people (a lot of the same types that claim to love her now.) During the years between her show and now, she showed up once in a while to make a new outrageous statement only to disappear into obscurity again. Which was fine with me. 

So now she reappears with a second version of her show, and a new gimmick: being a Trump fan- and suddenly I’m seeing article after article where Roseanne is “representative of the new America!” She gets a ton of ratings and praise from Trump and Trump Jr. 

I’m tired of this decade already. How soon until the next one? 
My body my choice my grandson can dress in girl clothes and I’ll love him anyway but they hate me anyway because I love my Nation and my America first President. 

Lolz. 

Maybe they never loved the depravity but always hated America. 

My body my choice my grandson can dress in girl clothes and I’ll love him anyway but they hate me anyway because I love my Nation and my America first President. 

Lolz. 

Maybe they never loved the depravity but always hated America. 
Seems like a reasonable conclusion. Good call figuring out the only two possibilities, too.  

Has anyone made the "NFL players should grab their crotches and spit during the national anthem instead of kneeling silently" joke yet? 

There sure is a lot of "economic anxiety" on full display in that double standard.

Has anyone made the "NFL players should grab their crotches and spit during the national anthem instead of kneeling silently" joke yet? 

There sure is a lot of "economic anxiety" on full display in that double standard.
Most of me agrees with you, and that the double standard begins with our President, who never fails to hide his own racial preferences. 

But there is a small part of me that wonders: if Colin Kaepernick, after kneeling during the Anthem, had gone on to say that he had voted for Donald Trump because despite disagreeing on this one issue he loved Trump anyhow and considered him an outstanding President, would that cause Trump to start praising Kaepernick in return? I kind of think it might. 

Most of me agrees with you, and that the double standard begins with our President, who never fails to hide his own racial preferences. 

But there is a small part of me that wonders: if Colin Kaepernick, after kneeling during the Anthem, had gone on to say that he had voted for Donald Trump because despite disagreeing on this one issue he loved Trump anyhow and considered him an outstanding President, would that cause Trump to start praising Kaepernick in return? I kind of think it might. 
I have no doubt in my mind that it would've changed everything.  Trump would probably be making sure a team signed him.

Of course it would, and I'm not sure how these two things are in conflict.  It wasn't Trump's double standard I was highlighting.

Moi? 

I’m not outraged. I’m annoyed. And not even so much at Roseanne herself. I don’t like her, but I suspect this is a highly successful attempt to self-promote. 

I’m annoyed at these political pundits rushing into print and TV to lecture us on how this is yet again proof that we shouldn’t ignore “the heartland”. 
Where have you been?  This is the self promotion era.

Remember the Colbert show was dying a slow death until Trump was elected..so Colbert, SNL and the late night hosts bash Trump for ratings, Barr supports Trump for ratings, Lavar Ball say "Look at me" for ratings...  I will never watch the show but to me it is just a comedy that goes a different direction than all the others and will have success because of that.

Remember..it is a sit-com.

Users who are viewing this thread