What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rotoworld-Giants Kicking Chad Johnsons tires (1 Viewer)

netnalp

Footballguy
Chad Johnson-WR-BengalsApr. 9 - 3:58 pm et

The Giants are "looking into" the possibility of acquiring Chad Johnson, according to ESPN's Matt Mosley.

However, Mosley calls New York more likely to stand pat and hope Hakeem Nicks falls to No. 29 in the draft, or the Giants take Rutgers WR Kenny Britt. The price tag for Ocho Cinco is expected to be at least one first-round pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the Giants aren't very good at picking WRs. They spent first day picks on Smith, Moss, and Maningham in three straight years and are now scrambling to trade for or spend another first day pick on a WR.

Looks like the Giants aren't very good at picking WRs. They spent first day picks on Smith, Moss, and Maningham in three straight years and are now scrambling to trade for or spend another first day pick on a WR.
:confused: Ironically, they're the exact opposite on picking RBs.As in, very good-to-excellent.

Chad Johnson-WR-BengalsApr. 9 - 3:58 pm et

The Giants are "looking into" the possibility of acquiring Chad Johnson, according to ESPN's Matt Mosley.

However, Mosley calls New York more likely to stand pat and hope Hakeem Nicks falls to No. 29 in the draft, or the Giants take Rutgers WR Kenny Britt. The price tag for Ocho Cinco is expected to be at least one first-round pick.
If the decision is the using the 29th overall pick to pick Nicks or Britt, or trading it for Ocho Cinco - there is but one answer: OCHO CINCO.I am not much of a fan, but he is one of the best WRs in the game when healthy. He should be able to step in and be a playmaker. The Giants can win now, hoping for and waiting for a WR to develop into a #1 WR is not the better option.

Also, while Smith, Moss and Manningham are WRs, they are more slot receivers. The Giants need a #1 WR. Britt and Nicks may prove to be good, but it will take time.

I like Kiwanuka, but it'd sure be nice to have Santonio Holmes, if the Giants had kept that pick.

Smith is developing nicely - and only entering his third season.Its too early to say Manngham was a "miss".Moss is likely a bust.

Smith is developing nicely - and only entering his third season.Its too early to say Manngham was a "miss".Moss is likely a bust.
I agree Smith is what they hoped he'd be, possibly more. Manningham is still an unknown. Moss, they probably had him ranked close to Holmes on their draft board, so he's a bust. Hixon seems to get in a position to make some great plays, only to drop the ball. I hope he can turn that around.

Ask Ted Thompson who to pick. He's been good at WR, not much else but good at wide receivers.

Ask Ted Thompson who to pick. He's been good at WR, not much else but good at wide receivers.
Ryan Grant hasnt been bad, or Aaron Rodgers
Grant was another one of the Giants' great RB finds. He was about to be cut and traded him for a 6th round pick.Thompson picked Brandon Jackson in the 2nd round that year. Rodgers was good but kind of fell in his lap. He has made good D line picks later in drafts too. He traded the 2nd round pick with New England (who took Chad Jackson) and picked Jennings later in that round. That was nice. Maybe trade RB advice with the Giants for WR advice. :shrug: They are very good at that.

I'd add Tiki as a great find, though the Giants didn't realize what they had for a few years, didn't think he could be the main back.

I love Chad but he is not worth a 1st rounder at this point in his career. I think Cincy should be happy to get a 2nd and 5th like Braylon Edwards is costing.

Sebowski said:
If only the Giants have had the success that the Redskins have had with Hall of Famers like Taylor Jacobs, Rod Gardner, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, and of course, feared MMA fighter Michael Westbrook. :shrug: Actually its true that the Giants have been terrible at drafting WRs early under Accorsi with many more busts then listed above although I don't think Smith, who is developing very nicely, and Manningham, who was going to be at least a year long project from draft day, belong on that "bust" list yet.

It should be noted, however that Jerry Reece hasn't had much of a draft history with WRs up to this point, so the jury is still out for the current Giants front office regime in terms of drafting WRs.

Edit to add: Jerry Reece plays things very close to the vest, but my feeling as a Giants fan who is following this closely is that the Giants would prefer Edwards or Boldin but will not move far from any initial offers and will not pay a Roy Williams type price for them and will not trade Smith or Kiwi, as it is reported the Browns wanted in return. I think they are looking at Chad as a potentially less expensive alternative.

Crippler said:
I love Chad but he is not worth a 1st rounder at this point in his career. I think Cincy should be happy to get a 2nd and 5th like Braylon Edwards is costing.
Edwards is costing a 2nd and 5th according to who? :shrug: If that is what he would cost no doubt a trade would have been done a while ago.

yeah dump one brain-dead cancer for another - good idea!

if they do this I will lmao. if they have any sense they will stand pat and take best avail in the draft.

yeah dump one brain-dead cancer for another - good idea!if they do this I will lmao. if they have any sense they will stand pat and take best avail in the draft.
...and probably wait for a few years until that player develops. It's rare a rookie WR contributes early. There are exceptions but you can't bank on it by any means. The team is built to contend RIGHT NOW. Great defense, great running game - they lack one thing, a big time WR. If they can't get Boldin I think Ocho would be a nice addition. He's got several years left in him and isn't the type of cancer TO is, plus he'll be motivated to win.

I wonder if the Giants have any reservations about getting involved with another Drew Rosenhaus client

Shockey and Burress have turned out to be pains in the booty for the Giants

Actually the Giants haven't had many fights with Rosenhaus. Granted DR didn't do himself any favors with Giants management with the "Plax would be interested in being traded" stuff but as NFL teams go, I tend to think NY has a good working relationship with Rosenhaus.

The Shockey washout I blame on Shockey. You can blame a lot on DR but it was clear Shockey wanted out of town. I never felt that Rosnehaus was working against the Giants in that scenario.

I'll be surprised if NY makes a run at Ocho Cinco. The front office hasn't exactly pursued head cases. Burress came with some baggage but that baggage significantly reduced his price tag. In the wake of the Burress fiasco I can't see Reese bringing in a side show like CJ. It would've been like the Eagles bringing in Moss after cutting ties with TO.

If only the Giants have had the success that the Redskins have had with Hall of Famers like Taylor Jacobs, Rod Gardner, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, and of course, feared MMA fighter Michael Westbrook. :) Actually its true that the Giants have been terrible at drafting WRs early under Accorsi with many more busts then listed above although I don't think Smith, who is developing very nicely, and Manningham, who was going to be at least a year long project from draft day, belong on that "bust" list yet.

It should be noted, however that Jerry Reece hasn't had much of a draft history with WRs up to this point, so the jury is still out for the current Giants front office regime in terms of drafting WRs.

Edit to add: Jerry Reece plays things very close to the vest, but my feeling as a Giants fan who is following this closely is that the Giants would prefer Edwards or Boldin but will not move far from any initial offers and will not pay a Roy Williams type price for them and will not trade Smith or Kiwi, as it is reported the Browns wanted in return. I think they are looking at Chad as a potentially less expensive alternative.
I agree with this, but I wonder if Braylon won't come cheaper. The rest of the NFL knows there's an expiration date for Braylon, contract-wise, and he is coming off a bad year. Not sure, just wondering.

If only the Giants have had the success that the Redskins have had with Hall of Famers like Taylor Jacobs, Rod Gardner, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, and of course, feared MMA fighter Michael Westbrook. :hophead: Actually its true that the Giants have been terrible at drafting WRs early under Accorsi with many more busts then listed above although I don't think Smith, who is developing very nicely, and Manningham, who was going to be at least a year long project from draft day, belong on that "bust" list yet.

I haven't put anyone on the bust list yet. Just saying that they are giving the WR position a lot of repeated attention. Can't keep spending picks on the same position. Doesn't show confidence in the guys they have.Thomas and Kelly don't belong on a list with Taylor Jacobs. I bet Thomas has a better year than your Steve Smith.

As a Giants Homer, wouldn't mind this at all. Especially the fact that Reece is an animal when it comes to bargain prices. He rarely overpays for a player and if we can get him for a 2nd round pick/manningham (similar to what we offered the Browns for Edwards), then I'd be happy. Chad Johnson has a couple of more years left in the tank and with help, and a decent QB he puts up numbers. The only problem with Chad is I think he has contract issues, and I'm not sure the Giants would lock him up with a 4-7 year deal with his recent drop off. Bengals are rebuilding and I think they'd be looking to get something for him while he still has value... Chad for our first at 29, or a 2nd with a mediocre player, I'll take it.

Users who are viewing this thread