What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rumor: Ricky Williams wins his appeal (1 Viewer)

I find it hard to believe that ther only word on this is from a little tiny site with a two line blurb with no sort of mention of the source. "Word around the league" is the source.....well if its the word around the league and this site has the info already, then I would expect others. I could have written that for all enybody knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I think some of you need to realize that 2nd round picks aren't the throwaways that a lot of you seem to portray them to be.

Also, just because Denver has two 1st round picks, that doesn't mean they are looking to get rid of their 2nd round pick.
I agree with your point but just so you know, denver gave up pick #22 to san fran for their 2nd and 3rd rounders

When you factor in age, workload, salary and suspension risk I'm not sure that Ricky is that much worse than say Dillon a couple of years ago, and he went for a second.
I disagree completely. Dillon may have had his issues, but they were not related to his performance.

It's a 2nd round pick you guys are talking about.  That's not cheap; that's quite expensive.
Thats what Miami gave up for Culpepper. Just as big questions (injury/terrible 05 play vs. drug policy), and Culpepper is expensive, while Ricky is dirt cheap. Both are former pro bowl level players. I think based on the market, a 2nd is about right. One key thing you keep overlooking is that Ricky costs very little in cap terms, which very positively affects his trade value.
Culpepper is just as big a question as Williams? That's an interesting opinion.

His heart seemed into it near the end of last seaosn when he ran over and through defenses.
Yep, he looked like ricky of old. I think it'll take a 2nd from Denver to pry him away - at least thats what I would want if i was Miami. Remember that Ricky's salary is dirt cheap.
I'd want more if I was Miami. I'd betif they wait a few days some other teams will offer their 2nd too. As you said he's so cheap
If I'm not mistaken, Miami couldn't even get a 2nd day pick last year for him. Do you guys suppose an additional failed drug test has increased his value since last year?

Why would Denver give up a first day pick for Ricky Williams?

The guy is one step away from being suspended (again), he's obviously very unreliable, Denver has shown that pretty much anyone can succeed with their running scheme (so why roll the dice on this guy?), and 2nd-3rd round draft picks don't exactly break the bank.  Just makes no sense.
Every dynasty owner of a second-string running back has dreams about their back going to Denver. That's all that drives the rumors.
:goodposting: If Denver is that unhappy with their current stable of running backs, what is the case for using a 2nd round pick for a 29 year old running back who is 1 strike from a year-long suspension bring better value than spending a 1st round pick on DeAngelo Williams?

:confused:
did you watch ricky late last year? If you did, I think you would see the case for making that trade. Also, once again, he's dirt cheap. No long term cap hit if he runs afoul of the drug policy.
Ricky is not dirt cheap if the price is a 2nd round draft pick. If the Dolphins want to part with him for a 4th or 5th round pick, then I could consider him cheap.

Guys, I think some of you need to realize that 2nd round picks aren't the throwaways that a lot of you seem to portray them to be.

Also, just because Denver has two 1st round picks, that doesn't mean they are looking to get rid of their 2nd round pick.
I agree with your point but just so you know, denver gave up pick #22 to san fran for their 2nd and 3rd rounders
You're right, I had forgotten about that. :bag:

It's a 2nd round pick you guys are talking about.  That's not cheap; that's quite expensive.
Thats what Miami gave up for Culpepper. Just as big questions (injury/terrible 05 play vs. drug policy), and Culpepper is expensive, while Ricky is dirt cheap. Both are former pro bowl level players. I think based on the market, a 2nd is about right. One key thing you keep overlooking is that Ricky costs very little in cap terms, which very positively affects his trade value.
Culpepper is just as big a question as Williams? That's an interesting opinion.
Culpepper's mobility was a big part of his skill set. Will it be there when he comes back? And when will he be ready to play? We all already know the clouds hanging over that question. Lastly, Culpepper looked a shadow of the QB he was in 04 before going down last year. he also wants to be paid based on the guy he was in 04.With Ricky you have the suspension possibility. Certainly, no one is going to trade for him if it is upheld. This whole conversation was predicated on his suspension getting overturned. If that happens, you have a guy without medical questions who played his best football at the end of the season, and comes for next to nothing.

I think this is a good argument and would add. Ricky is a Banana Smokin peel away from a suspension(assuming he wins) and to get a 2nd round pick would be HUGH value for the Fins.

His heart seemed into it near the end of last seaosn when he ran over and through defenses.
Yep, he looked like ricky of old. I think it'll take a 2nd from Denver to pry him away - at least thats what I would want if i was Miami. Remember that Ricky's salary is dirt cheap.
I'd want more if I was Miami. I'd betif they wait a few days some other teams will offer their 2nd too. As you said he's so cheap
If I'm not mistaken, Miami couldn't even get a 2nd day pick last year for him. Do you guys suppose an additional failed drug test has increased his value since last year?
last spring and this spring are night+day different. He didn't want to play ball and was in another country talking like a philosopher/fruitcake. This year he has proven himself on the field and wants to play and is fighting for the opportunity to play.ETA Originally I said I think other teams will offer up a 2nd if they wait a few days. The moment that happens since it's a market he becomes worth more as teams outbid each other. I think Miami should allow some time to see if this whole process doesn't take place. For all we know a team like Oakland will give up a 2nd to back up Jordan AND so that the Broncos don't get him.

I think this is a good argument and would add. Ricky is a Banana Smokin peel away from a suspension(assuming he wins) and to get a 2nd round pick would be HUGH value for the Fins.
This is how I interpret it.Ricky Williams for a 2nd round pick is robbery and I think the Dolphin fans are playing possum.

last spring and this spring are night+day different. He didn't want to play ball and was in another country talking like a philosopher/fruitcake. This year he has proven himself on the field and wants to play and is fighting for the opportunity to play.ETA Originally I said I think other teams will offer up a 2nd if they wait a few days. The moment that happens since it's a market he becomes worth more as teams outbid each other. I think Miami should allow some time to see if this whole process doesn't take place. For all we know a team like Oakland will give up a 2nd to back up Jordan AND so that the Broncos don't get him.
There is no way in hell Ricky Williams backs up Lamont Jordan.

Folks, Denver was willing to pay a late 3rd last year for Maurice Clarett, who hadn't done anything for a long time on the football field AND had bigger character issues than Ricky. Even if you think that a 2nd for Ricky is a steal for Miami, I wouldnt totally preclude Denver's willingness to make that deal. we're talking the late 2nd they have, not SFs. I agree that #37 is too much to pay for Ricky, but there is a dropoff of talent around #50 or so, and denver's own 2nd (#61) is below that dropoff.

I actually had not read the blurb until now -- I thought it just said that he was rumored to win his appeal. I missed that a trade now or during the draft is rumored.

Interesting...

Folks, Denver was willing to pay a late 3rd last year for Maurice Clarett, who hadn't done anything for a long time on the football field AND had bigger character issues than Ricky. Even if you think that a 2nd for Ricky is a steal for Miami, I wouldnt totally preclude Denver's willingness to make that deal. we're talking the late 2nd they have, not SFs. I agree that #37 is too much to pay for Ricky, but there is a dropoff of talent around #50 or so, and denver's own 2nd (#61) is below that dropoff.
:goodposting:

:goodposting: There is a sucker born every minute.

In the NFL there is a sucker born every 30 seconds.

I was clearly "off on a tangent" typing "for all we know"

I actually had not read the blurb until now -- I thought it just said that he was rumored to win his appeal. I missed that a trade now or during the draft is rumored.

Interesting...
Hey Cameron...[FerrisBueller]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

[/FerrisBueller]

AMEN.

Interesting...
Hey Cameron...[FerrisBueller]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

[/FerrisBueller]
:lmao:

AMEN.
So funny ...If he ended up in Oakland he would beat out Jordan for the job with only one leg.

I mean guys ( i know it wont happen )but Jordan is a very average RB in the NFL , ok he ended up on a great offensive team and did nothing.

Thats why they are called rumors cause they are normally never true, their called facts.

Ricky has a limited shelf life, and as such is more valuable to a contender than a rebuilding team like the Dolphins.
Miami was 9-7 in 2005. They may have an enormous upgrade at QB for some or all of 2006. You don't think they can win one additional game and make the playoffs?

Do not kill the messenger here but this site is reporting that Ricky has won his appeal. I am not familiar with htis site at all so I have no idea how valid it is.

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2006Draft.html

"the league is supposed to decide the fate of Dolphins Rb Ricky Williams today and the word around the league is Williams has won his appeal and will be dealt by the Dolphins either before or during the Draft...the Broncos once again appear to be the front runner for Williams and have extra picks in the second and third rounds...the Dolphins are without a second round pick in the upcoming Draft and have just two picks in day one"
EC news rocks!

Dolphins' Williams loses appeal; out for 2006

JASON COLE

4/25/2006

Dolphins running back Ricky Williams lost his appeal of a fourth violation of the NFL substance-abuse policy and will be suspended for one year, a source said told the Miami Herald on Tuesday evening.

Williams was informed by the NFL on Tuesday. He had appealed the violation, which occurred in late December, to the league on April 10. Attorney David Cornwell had expressed hope after the appeal that the league would rule in Williams' favor.

That hope was based on the fact that Williams did not test positive for marijuana, the substance he had tested positive for on three previous occasions. The substance he tested positive for is unknown, but agent Leigh Steinberg has hinted that it was an ''upper'' and a drug not in keeping with Williams' personality.

Williams will now miss the entire 2006 season. He can apply for reinstatement after that.

Neither Williams nor Steinberg were available for comment.

http://www.miami.com

JASON COLE

4/25/2006

Dolphins running back Ricky Williams lost his appeal of a fourth violation of the NFL substance-abuse policy and will be suspended for one year, a source said told the Miami Herald on Tuesday evening.

Williams was informed by the NFL on Tuesday. He had appealed the violation, which occurred in late December, to the league on April 10. Attorney David Cornwell had expressed hope after the appeal that the league would rule in Williams' favor.

That hope was based on the fact that Williams did not test positive for marijuana, the substance he had tested positive for on three previous occasions. The substance he tested positive for is unknown, but agent Leigh Steinberg has hinted that it was an ''upper'' and a drug not in keeping with Williams' personality.

Williams will now miss the entire 2006 season. He can apply for reinstatement after that.

Nice work Steinberg.

JASON COLE

4/25/2006

Nice work Steinberg.
Steinberg has been having a great month... first Matt Leinart, now thisouch.

GB not having to hear about that worthless sack for a year. :thumbup:

cstu --> :hifive: <-- Randy Mueller

I traded Ricky already, but what would you do in a dynasty league that keeps 13. Do you keep Ricky for 2007? Or is this the end of the road.

Users who are viewing this thread