What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rumour - Parcells to the Lions? (1 Viewer)

gbill2004

Footballguy
NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that the hottest rumor of "Black Monday" is that Bill Parcells could leave the Cowboys to coach the Lions.It's just Parcells being Parcells. The coach simply be driving up his price for a possible extension from Dallas, but Shefter points out that Parcells has never finished a contract as a head coach in the NFL. Nothing would surprise us. Jan. 2 - 8:05 pm et

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Parcells wants to rebuild another team. He's too old. He'll stick it out in Dallas for another year, or maybe two, and then hang it up.

Shefter is a tool. No way Parcells goes to Detroit.
Adam has more connections than anyone else in broadcasting. Rich Eisen tossed out the question to Adam about what was the wildest rumor he's heard. Adam responed by saying that as crazy as it sounds, Bill Parcell's name keeps coming up in reference to Detroit. Is it likely to happen? No. But it is a rumor at this point and Adam is just saying what he's heard.

Schefter is a FBG's subscriber and a close personal friend so I am incredibly biased.

I doubt even Parcells could make Matt Millen look like a viable GM.
this is what I have been asking for since he left the pats... this would make me watch....AND I would say the odds are 1000 to 1..

PS I am NOT taking action on these odds

Adam has more connections than anyone else in broadcasting. Rich Eisen tossed out the question to Adam about what was the wildest rumor he's heard. Adam responed by saying that as crazy as it sounds, Bill Parcell's name keeps coming up in reference to Detroit. Is it likely to happen? No. But it is a rumor at this point and Adam is just saying what he's heard.

Schefter is a FBG's subscriber and a close personal friend so I am incredibly biased.
Fransesca+Parcells=Cecil+Schefter :lmao:

I don't think Parcells moves until he has a chance to screw up Tampa's coaching search again. Could be several years he has to wait.

Parcells is just playing the field, but I think at the end of this he will be back with the Cowboys.

I don't think Parcells wants to rebuild another team. He's too old. He'll stick it out in Dallas for another year, or maybe two, and then hang it up.
The Lions don't need to rebuild, they need to be coached.

Who started this "rumor"? Most likely some jerk on a message board! This has ZERO chance of happening! Parcells isn't going anywhere and even if his was, why in the hell would he go to the Lions? The Saints would be a better choice for christ sake!

"Schefter is a FBG's subscriber and a close personal friend so I am incredibly biased."Enough said. Stop wasting everyones time with this nonsense! What's next, the old I know a guy who's wifes friend dates M. Vick and he said he wants to be traded to the Jets?

PLEASE!

Who started this "rumor"? Most likely some jerk on a message board! This has ZERO chance of happening! Parcells isn't going anywhere and even if his was, why in the hell would he go to the Lions? The Saints would be a better choice for christ sake!
:lmao: 3 reasons:

1) The Lions job is one of the most sought after in the NFL.

2) The Fords would throw more money at Parcells than any other owner(s) would.

3) His ego. He would love to say that HE was the coach who turned it around.

Also, IF Parcells is hired, Millen will be gone. I doubt Parcells would come here to coach under an unproven GM. He would want all the power.

"Schefter is a FBG's subscriber and a close personal friend so I am incredibly biased."Enough said. Stop wasting everyones time with this nonsense! What's next, the old I know a guy who's wifes friend dates M. Vick and he said he wants to be traded to the Jets?

PLEASE!
The offseason is full of rumors , the main reason I frequent the board in the offseason is to read alot of these rumors. Besides, you never know which ones will become reality. I think you need to chill out, if you are this uptight already about someone explaining the context of how a rumor was started - you may want to find another message board. If you feel you're precious time was wasted, you are free to move on................

Also, IF Parcells is hired, Millen will be gone. I doubt Parcells would come here to coach under an unproven GM. He would want all the power.
I agree with everything you said except for the fact that I think Parcells would coach maybe 3 years and then take over the GM/President role.

PLEASE!
:rolleyes:

:lmao: Saints?!?! lol..why would they be a better selection? they are

a. homeless.

b. possibly moving to L.A. in '07

c. lousy

d. have lousy & CHEAP ownership

e. are known as the 'No Talent Bums' in certain circles..

seriously..The Lions have a wealth of talent..not to a high draft pick, AGAIN..and money to burn with a GM who could be on the way out , allowing for Parcells to be the GM/coach/ head of football operations,etc..i.e., full control. the NFC North is the weakest division in football!!

it won't be hard to compete in the NFC North! Parcells has to face his nemesis Joe Gibbs twice per year now..the Giants are a force in the NFC East..the Eagles are going to bounce back next year...Dallas is the worst team in the NFC East..if he didn't make the show this year, he's not making it next year, not with the Skins,Giants, Eagles all improving, all high caliber teams..it is the toughest division in the NFL right now...The 'Boys have an aging & injury prone O-line, with an also-ran QB, and never-has-been wr's in Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson..the writing is on the wall in Big D...

Detroit has size & speed at the WR spot, a sleeper RB that has been misued (KJ),

a good secondary and D-line, with Boss Bailey at LB...they ONLY need a QB..

Dallas needs alot of help, when compared to Detroit..Parcells got in the NFC East at the worst possible time

aside from the overacheiving Bears, the NFC North is a graveyard..

PLEASE!
The offseason is full of rumors , the main reason I frequent the board in the offseason is to read alot of these rumors. Besides, you never know which ones will become reality. I think you need to chill out, if you are this uptight already about someone explaining the context of how a rumor was started - you may want to find another message board. If you feel you're precious time was wasted, you are free to move on................
Stop it, you really hurt my feelings :cry: ! You just keep drinking the FBG cool aide and wasting time with made up "rumors"!

As a Lions fan, I would LOVE to see Parcells in Detroit.As a realist, however, I don't see it happening it all. That's a rumor, and it will stay a rumor. I'm confident that he'd retire before leaving Dallas...

a. homeless.

c. lousy

seriously..The Lions have a wealth of talent..not to a high draft pick, AGAIN..and money to burn with a GM who could be on the way out , allowing for Parcells to be the GM/coach/ head of football operations,etc..i.e., full control. the NFC North is the weakest division in football!!

it won't be hard to compete in the NFC North! Parcells has to face his nemesis Joe Gibbs twice per year now..the Giants are a force in the NFC East..the Eagles are going to bounce back next year...Dallas is the worst team in the NFC East..if he didn't make the show this year, he's not making it next year, not with the Skins,Giants, Eagles all improving, all high caliber teams..it is the toughest division in the NFL right now...The 'Boys have an aging & injury prone O-line, with an also-ran QB, and never-has-been wr's in Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson..the writing is on the wall in Big D...

Detroit has size & speed at the WR spot, a sleeper RB that has been misued (KJ),

Dallas needs alot of help, when compared to Detroit..Parcells got in the NFC East at the worst possible time

The "Saints" comment was a JOKE! How exactly are the Lions in better shape then the Cowboys next season? They have NO QB, are locked into gutless, injury prone skill position players on offense, and have a defense that can't win outside of a dome! The Cowboys have a great young defense and Bledose still has another 1-2 productive years. The Cowboys are a few draft pick or free agent moves away from being a legit Super Bowl contender. The Lions need at least two-three years to rebuild!

So if he goes to Detroit, will he get to buy the groceries?
he would prolly bring Drew with him... he only had a 1 yr deal too, right?lets jump right over the snowball's chance in hell, and say the tuna is the DETROIT river

a. homeless.

c. lousy

The "Saints" comment was a JOKE! How exactly are the Lions in better shape then the Cowboys next season? They have NO QB, are locked into gutless, injury prone skill position players on offense, and have a defense that can't win outside of a dome! The Cowboys have a great young defense and Bledose still has another 1-2 productive years. The Cowboys are a few draft pick or free agent moves away from being a legit Super Bowl contender. The Lions need at least two-three years to rebuild!
I think I'm done reading anything you have to offer.

I agree with everything you said except for the fact that I think Parcells would coach maybe 3 years and then take over the GM/President role.
Still works for us Detroiters. That team needs a guy like Parcells.KJ's value would go crazy again too.

a. homeless.

c. lousy

I think I'm done reading anything you have to offer.
You sound like a bitter Lions fan fooling yourself into believing this made up story about Parcells coming to save your team! IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN! Maybe you'll get Mike Martz ;)

Still works for us Detroiters. That team needs a guy like Parcells.KJ's value would go crazy again too.
You mean like Julius Jones' value? :popcorn:

:confused:
I'm a Lions fan and that has me scratching my head too. The only thing I can think of is because the Ford's are stupid enough to give Millen a long term extention and are known to let idiots continue to be employed for long stretches.Meaning you can royally #### up and not get fired.

I'm a Lions fan and that has me scratching my head too. The only thing I can think of is because the Ford's are stupid enough to give Millen a long term extention and are known to let idiots continue to be employed for long stretches.Meaning you can royally #### up and not get fired.
I don't know if Wayne Fontes, Marty Mornhinweg, or Steve Mariucci would agree with this. That's the only reason I can think of either - with no offense meant whatsoever to Lions fans and/or residents of Detroit, I honestly can't think of many jobs right now that are LESS sought after than this one.

Owner with deep pocketsState of the art stadium / practice facilities

Devoted fan base

Considered to have a young, talented team by many

Again....the ego thing with coaches

I'm not making this up. It's been said more than once that the Lions head coaching job has been sought after by many coaches in the past. Marvin Lewis practically begged for this job. We blew that one big time.

Lions highly sought after? Thanks for the laugh?"we really screwed that up" - We? I didn't know you worked for the team. What is your title, Payne?

Devoted fan base

I'm not making this up. It's been said more than once that the Lions head coaching job has been sought after by many coaches in the past. Marvin Lewis practically begged for this job. We blew that one big time.
Marvin Lewis was begging for any job. Bengals were the ones smart enough to hire him. Most of the things above you could say about a LOT of teams.I just think given the state of the franchise, the fan morale at the moment, the personnel there, and the fact that it's Detroit (again no offense, but it's not exactly San Francisco when it comes to luring a coach - it's one of the most run-down, crime ridden, coldest cities in America) would put it somewhere around 30th on the list of desirable head coaching jobs. Maybe Cleveland and New Orleans, given the circumstances there, might be less desirable of all 32 franchises, and that's about it.

NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that the hottest rumor of "Black Monday" is that Bill Parcells could leave the Cowboys to coach the Lions.

It's just Parcells being Parcells. The coach simply be driving up his price for a possible extension from Dallas, but Shefter points out that Parcells has never finished a contract as a head coach in the NFL. Nothing would surprise us. Jan. 2 - 8:05 pm et
Also reported here:Dec 18 FoxSports.com

How about Cowboys coach Bill Parcells in Motown?

It's definitely a wish-list idea. I know Matt Millen — Parcells is definitely his type of coach.

You know the Tuna's style, his way or the highway. And Millen wants a disciplinarian for his next coach, probably his last hiring with the Lions.

Parcells, though, is considering a contract extension from Dallas owner Jerry Jones. Parcells currently has one year left at $4.6 million on his original four-year contract.

And why hasn't Parcells signed that contract extension?

Does he want to wiggle his way out of Dallas?

Does he want leverage in order to earn $6 million or more a season?

There is no doubt that Parcells has friends in Detroit and has always respected Lions owner William Clay Ford, a noted hands-off owner and one who believes in spending money in order to build a winner. It just hasn't happened for him. Parcells and Millen are friends, too. Parcells is sympathetic to Millen's plight.

There is no doubt that Parcells wants to continue coaching. His health is fine, and he could use a few more good earning years before retiring to a new home in Saratoga, N.Y, just a few miles away from his second favorite sport, horse racing.

If Parcells looks like a long shot to end up in Detroit, you can bet that Millen will look hard at Maurice Carthon, a former Parcells player who has done a very good job this season as offensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns. Carthon is a no-nonsense coach like Parcells, plus he worked as an assistant on Marty Mornhinweg's teams in Detroit.

However, Carthon is a long way from being Parcells. Besides, can Millen really risk hiring a NFL assistant who has never been a head coach?

The other assistant high on Millen's list is probably Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis, a coach he wanted to interview prior to hiring Steve Mariucci.

Lewis, though, declined the opportunity because he felt he was simply a token minority candidate who didn't have a chance against Mariucci. Millen was fined $200,000 by the league for failing to interview a minority candidate and now he may have two of them — after Parcells — at the top of his list.

Guess the "man in the glass" is short on cash lately
I didn't understand this the first time around.
Well - double post was a mistake - if your a Jet fan you would understand

I'll give you a hint - farewell poem
Why tell a joke that only 2 people would understand? :confused:
Believe it or not there are a lot of us out there. Sold out every week with thousands on a waiting list for tix. We are starting a group help center

Devoted fan base

please just stop allready, people in the office keep looking at me because I keep laughing. One of the most sought after jobs.... :lmao:

Devoted fan base

Marvin Lewis was begging for any job. Bengals were the ones smart enough to hire him. Most of the things above you could say about a LOT of teams.I just think given the state of the franchise, the fan morale at the moment, the personnel there, and the fact that it's Detroit (again no offense, but it's not exactly San Francisco when it comes to luring a coach - it's one of the most run-down, crime ridden, coldest cities in America) would put it somewhere around 30th on the list of desirable head coaching jobs. Maybe Cleveland and New Orleans, given the circumstances there, might be less desirable of all 32 franchises, and that's about it.
The fan morale may be low, but the stadium sells out every week. Detroit itself may be exactly as you described, but metro Detroit offers some outstanding communities to live in.

Lions highly sought after? Thanks for the laugh?

"we really screwed that up" - We? I didn't know you worked for the team. What is your title, Payne?
I'm not going to pretend to be somebody I'm not like others on this board do. It was just a phrase. "We" as in another thing "the Lions" screwed up.

The fan morale may be low, but the stadium sells out every week.

Detroit itself may be exactly as you described, but metro Detroit offers some outstanding communities to live in.

Along with some of the worst gettos in the country in Detoit proper! Detroit is a HORRIBLE place to live. NOBODY ever moves to Detroit, the fans are all the people in the auto industry that can't afford to leave!

Users who are viewing this thread