What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Grant (1 Viewer)

noneother said:
like a panthers cheerleader 8 in the box...
Possibly.Though...will teams still do that when the Packers go 4 and 5 wide?And look at the replay of his TD against Dallas....there were plenty in the box on that play and he broke through.Had a few like that this year.
If there are 5 WR's.....why would a defense have 8 in the box again? Is Grant playing QB....lol
If you don't have someone to throw the ball it puts pressure on the running game. If you don't think losing a HOF QB will negatively impact ALL of the skill players on offense then you either have a great deal of faith to expect Rodgers to replace Favre or you don't know much about football. The fact is that Favre has made a lot of average players look good over the years and GB fans are about to see how much. If I am a Driver, Jennings, James or Grant owner I try to deal them before we see how bad that offense is next year.
Chester Taylor and A.Peterson looked pretty good with a questionable starter at qb, and less than solid wrs

noneother said:
Possibly.Though...will teams still do that when the Packers go 4 and 5 wide?And look at the replay of his TD against Dallas....there were plenty in the box on that play and he broke through.Had a few like that this year.
If there are 5 WR's.....why would a defense have 8 in the box again? Is Grant playing QB....lol
The point being...teams cannot just go automatically to 8 in the box because the Packers can spread them out with 3-4 WRs. (i meant that and slipped and put the 4-5 wide).

noneother said:
If you don't have someone to throw the ball it puts pressure on the running game. If you don't think losing a HOF QB will negatively impact ALL of the skill players on offense then you either have a great deal of faith to expect Rodgers to replace Favre or you don't know much about football. The fact is that Favre has made a lot of average players look good over the years and GB fans are about to see how much. If I am a Driver, Jennings, James or Grant owner I try to deal them before we see how bad that offense is next year.
I don't think anyone is thinking they offense will not take a bit of a hit.How big of a hit is the next question.I don't think all of them will see a big downgrade.Rodgers might prefer one WR over the other (curious to see who his go to guy will be).And while Grant may drop some in yardage heavy leagues...he could also rise in TD heavy leagues as they may run the ball more in closer situations than they did with Favre as they did still like to throw on earlier downs.I don't think the offense will be "bad". Probably not #3 like it was this past year. But still top half in the league.

noneother said:
Chester Taylor and A.Peterson looked pretty good with a questionable starter at qb, and less than solid wrs
Are you comparing Grant to ADP? Great players can overcome alot. And there were games late in the year where ADP couldn't find any room to run because teams DID load up the box.

noneother said:
Are you comparing Grant to ADP? Great players can overcome alot. And there were games late in the year where ADP couldn't find any room to run because teams DID load up the box.
didnt chester taylor run for 1300yds the year before ADP came on board?

noneother said:
The Vikes have a dominant line but the Pack does not. They are good but not Viking good.

I'm predicting Ryan Grant to finish out of top 20 this year.
The #20 RB had 1185 yds/6TDs or 1125 yds/7 TDs (Jacobs and C.Taylor).Grant had 1103 yards and 8 TDs in essentially 10 games, finishing 17th.110 yds, .8 TD per game. Would have to drop to 75 yds, .375 TD per game to finish at 1200/6.I haven't decided how I feel about the situation, but I think it's rather premature to be talking about that large of a dropoff.

Grant isn't a sure thing and I also think Jackson could be in the mix there.
:shrug: Jackson looked very good near the end of the season - maybe the lightbulb went on.
I don't disagree with these statements, BUT.....Jackson did his damage in week 17 against a DONE Detroit team, when Green Bay hardly played Grant.Then in the playoffs Grant got 29 touches against Seattle and 14 against NY; Jackson got 9 touches against Seattle, 1 in the 1st half and 6 in the final 8 minutes, followed by 1 touch against NY.Hard to say that the lightbulb went on based on that sample size, IMO. It's a possibility, but training camp and preseason will tell us the real story. I'd put my money on Grant over Jackson.

:unsure: Jackson looked very good near the end of the season - maybe the lightbulb went on.
I don't disagree with these statements, BUT.....Jackson did his damage in week 17 against a DONE Detroit team, when Green Bay hardly played Grant.Then in the playoffs Grant got 29 touches against Seattle and 14 against NY; Jackson got 9 touches against Seattle, 1 in the 1st half and 6 in the final 8 minutes, followed by 1 touch against NY.Hard to say that the lightbulb went on based on that sample size, IMO. It's a possibility, but training camp and preseason will tell us the real story. I'd put my money on Grant over Jackson.
Still, I feel this is a very crucial handcuff. I love Grant, but I'm still a bit leery of the whole situation - leery enough to overpay and cuff him with Jackson (had Wynn already.) I would not feel comfortable otherwise - GB spent a high pick on Jackson, and they aren't going to simply throw him away.

:goodposting: Jackson looked very good near the end of the season - maybe the lightbulb went on.
Still, I feel this is a very crucial handcuff. I love Grant, but I'm still a bit leery of the whole situation - leery enough to overpay and cuff him with Jackson (had Wynn already.) I would not feel comfortable otherwise - GB spent a high pick on Jackson, and they aren't going to simply throw him away.
It happens all the time. See T. Bell, Arrington, Shelton, Greg Jones, etc. they were all drafted higher. The 2nd to last pick in the 2nd round is not going alter a teams plans. His draft position is irrelevant IMO.

noneother said:
And Minny does not have Driver, Jennings, Jones, Robinson, or Lee either.

noneother said:
The Vikes have a dominant line but the Pack does not. They are good but not Viking good.
The Packers also have weapons in the pass game that the Vikings have not had. I think that can balance it out.

:shrug: Jackson looked very good near the end of the season - maybe the lightbulb went on.
I think the lightbulb went on a bit if you watched him run.He was much more decisive and did not dance waiting for a hole. He went upfield as quickly as he could. A big improvement from preseason and the early part of the season.I don't see him unseating Grant though unless an injury occurs.

How do you know that those WRs are that much better than what MN had? How do you know that their perceived ability wasn't a product of having a Hall of Fame QB throwing the ball? We won't know until this season but I predict a precitious drop off in the performance of all these players. I have seen WRs come and go in GB and Favre always makes them into stars.

How do you know that those WRs are that much better than what MN had? How do you know that their perceived ability wasn't a product of having a Hall of Fame QB throwing the ball? We won't know until this season but I predict a precitious drop off in the performance of all these players. I have seen WRs come and go in GB and Favre always makes them into stars.
Because I have watched both teams play.Minny did not have one single guy that worked as hard and ran as good of routes and had the hands of Donald Driver.Nobody as talented as Jennings (maybe Rice is...but still a rookie)....nobody with the experience of Robinson.While some of it may be due to Favre. I don't think people can really deny the talent of Driver and Jennings (at least that they are more talented than say...Justin Gage and Troy Williamson who cannot catch no matter who is throwing him the ball).Favre never had teams stacking the box and begging him to beat them the way Jackson and the Minny WRs did. Yet they still sucked.

Possibly.Though...will teams still do that when the Packers go 4 and 5 wide?

And look at the replay of his TD against Dallas....there were plenty in the box on that play and he broke through.

Had a few like that this year.
Because MN was starting someone the Packers had cut (Robert Ferguson). It's funny how just a season or so ago Favre was washed up yet he's still able to make guys like Driver & Jennings into pro bowl caliber WR's.Sure their numbers will likely take a hit because of Favre's retirement but I don't think it's going to be to the extent that many believe.

The #20 RB had 1185 yds/6TDs or 1125 yds/7 TDs (Jacobs and C.Taylor).Grant had 1103 yards and 8 TDs in essentially 10 games, finishing 17th.110 yds, .8 TD per game. Would have to drop to 75 yds, .375 TD per game to finish at 1200/6.I haven't decided how I feel about the situation, but I think it's rather premature to be talking about that large of a dropoff.
Don't underestimate Favre's presence on a RB's numbers.

I was you in 2004...

How good/bad is Green Bays O-line for run blocking? I think this makes a big difference, see Larry Johnson, Great O-line w/ not Favre at QB and did great, bad O-line w/ not Favre and did poorly. Tavaris Jackson scares nobody in Minnesota and that line makes Chester Taylors numbers look like LT.

The Packers also have weapons in the pass game that the Vikings have not had. I think that can balance it out.
Not to mention that people aren't arguing that Grant will have AD numbers, just that he'd still have good numbers. That balances it out even more.

The #20 RB had 1185 yds/6TDs or 1125 yds/7 TDs (Jacobs and C.Taylor).Grant had 1103 yards and 8 TDs in essentially 10 games, finishing 17th.

110 yds, .8 TD per game. Would have to drop to 75 yds, .375 TD per game to finish at 1200/6.

I haven't decided how I feel about the situation, but I think it's rather premature to be talking about that large of a dropoff.
I was you in 2004...
I respect your opinion, cstu, so what do you mean?

Lott said:
cstu said:
The #20 RB had 1185 yds/6TDs or 1125 yds/7 TDs (Jacobs and C.Taylor).Grant had 1103 yards and 8 TDs in essentially 10 games, finishing 17th.

110 yds, .8 TD per game. Would have to drop to 75 yds, .375 TD per game to finish at 1200/6.

I haven't decided how I feel about the situation, but I think it's rather premature to be talking about that large of a dropoff.
I was you in 2004...
I respect your opinion, cstu, so what do you mean?
Here's my full take on Ryan Grant...The good: I was very impressed by Grant last year - he ran with power, had good agility and basically played like a stud. He fit the Packers offense great, Favre was at the top of his game, and they had plenty of weapons so that he didn't have to the focal point of the offense. I liked him coming into 2008 with Favre at QB. He still has a lot of talent on offense - a pretty good OL and some very talented WR's.

The bad: The one-hit wonder factor is high with him. Very few top RB's follow his career path - splitting time in college (with Julius Jones and Darius Walker), undrafted and on the practice squad, and then getting traded for a late round pick. I'm not saying he won't be a top back year-in-year-out, just that history doesn't back it up. It's also risky to extrapolate a 1st year player's numbers over a whole season - even if the entire team remains intact. He put up gaudy numbers last year but losing a HOF QB, who defenses had to plan for, is a huge change for the offense. Defenses will stack the box to stop the run and challenge Rodgers to throw it. Because of this, I don't think they'll move the ball consistently enough to allow Grant to get TD's at nearly the pace he did last year and his YPC will be way down (~4.0).

Here's the thing - I still think Grant gets enough carries to put up a decent fantasy season (1000+ yards, 8-10 TD's). The problem is that I don't think he's the long-term answer at RB for Packers. He's exactly the type of guy who loses his job to a rookie after a couple of seasons. In a redraft I think you can start thinking about him at RB15 but in a dynasty I don't think he's a top 20 back.

In regards to 2004, it was exactly that type of extrapolation that got many, including myself, in trouble with Kevan Barlow. To be perfectly clear, Grant has more talent than Barlow and his situation is not nearly as bad as Barlow's was. I do believe that a lot of owners will pay too much attention to his expected workload and not enough to how much different his situation was last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pretty much agree with your assessment, cstu.... Grant's value hinges on Green bay's QB play.

I wasn't really extrapolating Grant's numbers; I was putting concrete numbers out there for comparison as to just what "predicting Ryan Grant to finish out of top 20 this year" actually means.

If Rodgers is a solid QB, I could see 1500-1600 total yards with 10-14 TDs.... but I think it is much more likely that Grant falls in the 1200-1300 yard, 8 TD range. Even if Rodgers is solid, it'll take a few games for defenses to stop stacking the line. If there is much of a learning curve, or if Rodgers gets injured, then Grant will find it tough to produce.

So, as I said before, I'm not sure how I feel about the situation. :popcorn:

As usual - we have a bunch of bias crack-head like opinions flying around here from homers and owners......

Bottom line - The entire Packer O just took a HUGE downgrade

They lost their starting QB and their leader

ARod is an unproven, Grant is a one year wonder right now, and Driver is getting old

I don't see the Pack scoring nearly as much in 2008 and their chances to repeat as divsion champs just went into the toilet
Ummm...have you looked at the division?How are their chances down the toilet?

Driver is getting older...but he is still quite effective and looked young enough running 90 yards down the field in the NFC Title game.

Rodgers is unproven for sure.

Grant is a one year wonder? Could be. But I think he showed he had the talent to be more than that for the Packers.
What about the division? The Pack still has to go against two of the top Ds in the league in Chicago and Minnesota.

How good/bad is Green Bays O-line for run blocking? I think this makes a big difference, see Larry Johnson, Great O-line w/ not Favre at QB and did great, bad O-line w/ not Favre and did poorly. Tavaris Jackson scares nobody in Minnesota and that line makes Chester Taylors numbers look like LT.
They are...well..OK.They will be going into their 3rd year both in the ZB system...and together really.The guards will basically be in their 3rd years as starters (or in the league)...same with the center.They have improved each year as the year wears on but still need improvement IMO.Id say an average line...probably a bit above average actually.

As usual - we have a bunch of bias crack-head like opinions flying around here from homers and owners......

Bottom line - The entire Packer O just took a HUGE downgrade

They lost their starting QB and their leader

ARod is an unproven, Grant is a one year wonder right now, and Driver is getting old

I don't see the Pack scoring nearly as much in 2008 and their chances to repeat as divsion champs just went into the toilet
Ummm...have you looked at the division?How are their chances down the toilet?

Driver is getting older...but he is still quite effective and looked young enough running 90 yards down the field in the NFC Title game.

Rodgers is unproven for sure.

Grant is a one year wonder? Could be. But I think he showed he had the talent to be more than that for the Packers.
What about the division? The Pack still has to go against two of the top Ds in the league in Chicago and Minnesota.
Chicago is no longer a top D in the league...and they have no offense. They are in the discussion for possibly the worst team in the league next year.Minny's run D is great...but overall they are an average defense (look at the numbers).

M. Williams should help them at safety...but they need a ton of help at DE to have a pass rush.

And with Berrian or not...outside of Peterson...that offense sucks and if I were a Vikes fan I would have no confidence in that coaching staff.

I've seen Barlow come up in comparison and I can't grasp it. Barlow is completely different as far as his path. He was supposed to be at least as good as he was, he didnt surprise any of us. Grant is smart and humble which are probably Barlow's faults. I realize you are comparing the hype machine but I think you should use a different player for validity. Lamont Jordon comes to mind as does Levens, Mike Anderson and Droughns.

I actually would be buying Grant right now. After the Favre fallout and before Rodgers aleiviates any questions. You should be able to find some nervous owners that don't know or believe in Rodgers.

I also want to buy James Jones and even the #4 wr. Early chemistry may dictate some extra attention.

Users who are viewing this thread