What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mallett (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Ryan Mallett - QB - Texans

Drew Dougherty of the Texans' official website expects free agent QB Ryan Mallett to be Houston's Week 1 starter.

Mallett seems very likely to re-sign with the Texans after they traded for him and were the ones to give him his long-awaited shot last season before he tore his pectoral after making one start. He's even been working out at the Texans' facility this offseason. The Texans could release Ryan Fitzpatrick and make second-year signal caller Tom Savage the backup. Mallett has a huge arm but is as statuesque as they come in the pocket. Mallett turns 27 in June.

Source: houstontexans.com

Feb 16 - 8:11 PM

Rotoworld:

Texans coach Bill O'Brien confirmed his top priority at quarterback is re-signing free agent Ryan Mallett.

Mallett started just two games for Houston before suffering a season-ending pectoral injury in 2014. Seven career games isn't much of a sample size, but O'Brien insists Mallett is "a hard worker, and he understands our system." Houston's current in-house options at QB include journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tom Savage, a fourth-round pick in the 2014 draft.

Source: Houston Chronicle
Feb 20 - 11:24 AM

Rotoworld:

The Jets have "inquired about" free agent Ryan Mallett.
They've also "inquired about" free agent Brian Hoyer in new GM Mike Maccagnan's pursuit of competition for Geno Smith. It's believed the Texans want to sign both Mallett and Hoyer, although that seems fairly unrealistic. It's possible one goes to the Texans, and the other signs with the Jets.

Related: Jets

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter
Mar 8 - 7:26 PM

Rotoworld:

Texans coach Bill O'Brien doesn't have a timeline for naming his starting quarterback.
In one of the least-impressive quarterback competitions in recent memory, Ryan Mallett is "battling" Brian Hoyer. Days shy of his 27th birthday, Mallett has only 79 career attempts. Hoyer was the worst quarterback in football down the stretch last season. O'Brien will try to hide whomever wins his competition. Our money is on Mallett.

Related: Brian Hoyer

Source: Brian T. Smith on Twitter
Jun 1 - 2:12 PM

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock

Need to watch more but Mallett doesn't strike me as a "practice player". Not as comfortable as when live bullets fly.
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock

Mallett reminds me of a shooter that needs a hand in his face. Actually thrives off the chaos.

Last edited by a moderator:
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

Brian Hoyer threw the ball more accurately than Ryan Mallett did today. So did Tom Savage.
Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith

Accuracy has been Mallett's biggest issue in NFL and is one of his main hurdles in becoming #Texans' starter. He's been off and on in OTAs.

Rotoworld:

According to the Houston Chronicle, neither Ryan Mallett nor Brian Hoyer distinguished himself from the other at Texans OTAs.

The Chronicle's Steph Stradley writes that Mallett and Hoyer "do not look substantially different in running the offense," and "neither looks particularly accurate." Stradley is "not sure" Houston's quarterback answer is on the current roster. The 2015 Texans will again play run-first football and lean on their J.J. Watt-led defense in an effort to "hide" their sub-par quarterback play.

Source: Houston Chronicle
Jun 15 - 11:35 PM

So who do we like at Houston QB? Hoyer or Mallett? It's widely assumed Hopkins will get targeted a ton, but will the targets be quality?

Hoyer has the higher floor, and Mallett the higher ceiling. I'm rooting for Mallett to win the job because he takes several other player's ceiling with him.

This is the first full offseason Mallett has had to get a starting job. If he's healthy and has learned to play with some touch and accuracy instead of sending in a fast ball every time then he has a good chance. It seems like the majority of the fan base want Mallett which may make it tougher on the coaches if they choose Hoyer.

Mallett can be a QBOTF if he succeeds whereas as Hoyer is and always will be a stop gap career QB.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Mallett will start the Texans' second preseason game.

Brian Hoyer started the preseason opener, completing 2-of-4 passes for 67 yards and a touchdown. Mallett has been slightly behind Hoyer for most of training camp, but will have a chance to pull ahead if he can continue to show command of the offense. The Texans' quarterback competition won't be decided until at least the third preseason game.

Source: John McClain on Twitter

Aug 15 - 11:07 PM

He has experience of learning behind a HoF QB,
This hasn't been proven to be particularly important.

first round graded talent,
Neither has this, come to think of it. There are of course, plenty of QBs that were ACTUALLY taken in the first round that weren't particularly good.

a clean track record since being in the NFL
This just points out that he had some clouds over his head in college. I am not giving credit out for what you are SUPPOSED to do. You don'tr give points for linebackers that don't stab anyone, or defensive tackles that stay in shape.

and the benefit that his contract is up after this year.
So someone can pay him like a starter before he's proven he's worthy of it?

He's a backup QB that happens to play for the Pats. Not sure why standing around watching Brady practice makes him so much better than every other good QBs backups, that don't amount to a hill of beans. Hey! He's kind of like Matt Flynn and Matt Cassel, except they actually played well in regular season games, before getting their chance to prove their complete lack of special qualities.
Not sure what your problem is with Mallet, but you're making some awfully definitive statements when you say yourself that he doesn't have a NFL resume yet. I guess he would have had to displace Brady as NE's starter to prove anything to you.

The days up to and including day 2 of the draft ought to prove interesting in regard to his disposition. Someone is going to be left without a chair in this year's QB derby in the draft.

This ESPN article has a few more quotes that were left out of the NFL article:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13508376/ryan-mallett-says-disappointed-losing-houston-texans-quarterback-competition

"I'm just going to wait until my turn gets called," Mallett said. "At some point it's going to happen this year. We played four quarterbacks last year..."
I'm sure O'Brien didn't appreciate the little jabs there at Hoyer and the team in general.

"...it's going to happen this year" is basically implying that Hoyer will stink and get pulled. And while there's a decent chance of that being true, it's still not what coaches want their players saying in interviews.

As a dynasty Mallett owner I like seeing the chip on his shoulder. At least he's showing some fire and isn't content to be a backup to a guy like Hoyer.

Now if he'd just spring for a good alarm clock...

He has every right to be pissed. He has only 2 starts last year and they bring in Brian Hoyer to compete. Someone decides the next morning, O'Brien stated the night before that they werein no rush to find the starting QB, that Hoyer is the starter. Here is a guy that threw 8 INTs in 3 games and 7 straight games without a TD pass last year. I would rather put Tim Tebow on my team that Brian Hoyer. Now they get to start the season in a hole, and probably put Mallet in mid season to prepare for next year. They are basically throwing away the season starting this clown.

He has every right to be pissed. He has only 2 starts last year and they bring in Brian Hoyer to compete. Someone decides the next morning, O'Brien stated the night before that they werein no rush to find the starting QB, that Hoyer is the starter. Here is a guy that threw 8 INTs in 3 games and 7 straight games without a TD pass last year. I would rather put Tim Tebow on my team that Brian Hoyer. Now they get to start the season in a hole, and probably put Mallet in mid season to prepare for next year. They are basically throwing away the season starting this clown.
They're playing who they think is the best player. He should work on getting better.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Mallett returned to Texans practice Friday after oversleeping on Thursday, and was the third quarterback through practice drills.

Coach Bill O'Brien did insist after the session that Mallett remains second on the depth chart behind Brian Hoyer. "The situation with Ryan not being at practice that's between Ryan and I," O'Brien said. "Some things are left within the team." Mallett should open the season carrying the clipboard for Hoyer.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Ryan Mallett returned to Texans practice Friday after oversleeping on Thursday, and was the third quarterback through practice drills.

Coach Bill O'Brien did insist after the session that Mallett remains second on the depth chart behind Brian Hoyer. "The situation with Ryan not being at practice that's between Ryan and I," O'Brien said. "Some things are left within the team." Mallett should open the season carrying the clipboard for Hoyer.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
In other words, keep your mouth shut.

This guy was 10-6-0 in #######g Cleveland the last two years. You'd rather see Tebow. :rolleyes:

Tebow would've needed to catch a number of lucky breaks to go 2-14 over the same span, with the same roster.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Mallett completed 9-of-17 passes for 77 yards and a touchdown in the Texans' third preseason game.

Brian Hoyer played just about a quarter, giving Mallett lots of run in the first half and into the third quarter. The offense largely sputtered after Hoyer left, but Mallett did throw a rocket for a would-be 15-yard touchdown to TE Ryan Griffin, only for Griffin to bobble the ball on the way down and have the score negated. Mallett finally got the offense moving on a third-quarter drive against the Saints' reserve defense, hitting Jaelen Strong for a six-yard score. Mallett is very clearly the backup to Hoyer in Houston and didn't even make it a race this preseason.

Aug 30 - 6:25 PM

This guy was 10-6-0 in #######g Cleveland the last two years. You'd rather see Tebow. :rolleyes:

Tebow would've needed to catch a number of lucky breaks to go 2-14 over the same span, with the same roster.
10-6 despite Hoyer in the huddle/ Look at the stats I posted and name one QB in the NFL last year that did worse in the same span of games. Just 1.

Is he gonna be the starter next week?
Texan fans will go nuts if that gasbag Hoyer starts ever again.
Are you a Texans fan? What are they saying locally? Mallet looked decent but Chiefs were playing a lot of loose/prevent defense while he was in.
Fans have wanted Mallet all along overall...O'Brein said that he will evaluate and answer later in the week. Mallet was good, non-great...He at least gives hope versus known mediocrity...for me, Mallet is probably not the answer, but there is a plausible chance that I am wrong.

That article is pure speculation. BOB said he won't announce it ahead of time. FWIW, I hope it is Mallett.
The Texans will start Ryan Mallett at quarterback Week 2 against the Panthers.
This comes just minutes after both Texans beat writers, John McClain and Tania Ganguli, reported they would be "shocked" if Brian Hoyer didn't get the start against Carolina. Neither is much of an upgrade on the other. Mallett replaced a benched Hoyer midway through the fourth quarter of Week 1 and went 8-of-14 passing for 98 yards and a touchdown. The game was already well over, so we're not going to read too much into those numbers. But we already know what Hoyer is, and that's a mediocre, turnover-prone, weak-armed glorified backup. Mallett at least has tons of arm talent with the ability to drive the ball.

Heh, didn't BO'B say something like "it won't be a short leash" on that Hard Knocks episode? I guess he was talking about quarters, not games.

Users who are viewing this thread