What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mallett (1 Viewer)

I think it's the right move. How was DeAngelo with Hoyer vs. Mallett?
Hoyer

1st pass of the game pass to Hopkins INT.

2nd possesion no looks

3rd possesion 4yd TD pass

4-6 possessions no looks

7th possession 1 pass Incomplete

HALFTIME

1st possession 16yd pass

2nd possession no looks

3rd possession 5yd pass and an incompletion to him

4th posssession 14yd pass

5th possession no looks, Hoyer INjured

MALLET

6th possession of the 2nd half - Passes to Hopkins=8yd, 14yd, 12yd,Incompletion, TD and 2 pt conversion

7th Possession 17yd pass.

Hoyer spread the ball around. Mallet did some but focused on his best weapon.

Mallet has a cannon on his shoulder. He can throw a ball on a frozen rope 40yds. This is the guy they should have started all game. Hoyer is complete crap. He has never succeeded and never will. Its why he cant stick with a team. Mallet at least has an arm. It doesnt matter if he isnt good, this guy can sling the ball, and standing at damn near 7ft, he see the entire field. The Texans at least have a chance in the division with him. With Hoyer the season would be over before it began.

As another Hopkins owner. Im glad Mallet is starting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who was Mallett's go-to guy in practice. Seems like we see WRs come out of nowhere with QB changes. QBs know who they trust and tend to target them more.

That article is pure speculation. BOB said he won't announce it ahead of time. FWIW, I hope it is Mallett.
Ryan Mallett - QB - Texans
The Texans will start Ryan Mallett at quarterback Week 2 against the Panthers.
This comes just minutes after both Texans beat writers, John McClain and Tania Ganguli, reported they would be "shocked" if Brian Hoyer didn't get the start against Carolina. Neither is much of an upgrade on the other. Mallett replaced a benched Hoyer midway through the fourth quarter of Week 1 and went 8-of-14 passing for 98 yards and a touchdown. The game was already well over, so we're not going to read too much into those numbers. But we already know what Hoyer is, and that's a mediocre, turnover-prone, weak-armed glorified backup. Mallett at least has tons of arm talent with the ability to drive the ball.
I still don't see where this is being listed definitively. I hope it to be true, but just don't see it stated factually anywhere. John McClain is a putz, though, so I wouldn't be shocked if he was wrong and this info is correct.

I just preemptively grabbed mallet for 2% of my FAAB $ in a start one Qb dynasty league. He's flying way under the radar. If he develops into a Goodwin he has the talent around him to excel.

Hopkins, shorts, foster, Washington, strong...could get interesting.

I just preemptively grabbed mallet for 2% of my FAAB $ in a start one Qb dynasty league. He's flying way under the radar. If he develops into a Goodwin he has the talent around him to excel.

Not a huge spend but I don't see any real dynasty value in a start 1 QB league. I think Mallett is 27 years old and hasn't done much to this point. If he can hold onto the job he could be a decent depth guy but there just isn't much to get excited about in a start 1 QB league.

Not a huge spend but I don't see any real dynasty value in a start 1 QB league. I think Mallett is 27 years old and hasn't done much to this point. If he can hold onto the job he could be a decent depth guy but there just isn't much to get excited about in a start 1 QB league.
You're probably right but I like cheap pre-emotive pickups before they blow up. He's a last guy on my bench kind of deal. If he sucks I have no problem throwing him back to the heap. If he's good I've got a gem for cheap and I got him before having to compete with crazy amounts of FAAB on the waiver.

He's 27 and hasn't had success mainly BC he stated his career in NE behind Brady for several years before being traded to Houston.

Jury is still out on him. We know Ed got a rocket arm. But can he bring the football iq to the table? Remains to be seen. Intriguing though. Especially for Hopkins owners.

Is he gonna be the starter next week?
Texan fans will go nuts if that gasbag Hoyer starts ever again.
Are you a Texans fan? What are they saying locally? Mallet looked decent but Chiefs were playing a lot of loose/prevent defense while he was in.
Fans have wanted Mallet all along overall...O'Brein said that he will evaluate and answer later in the week. Mallet was good, non-great...He at least gives hope versus known mediocrity...for me, Mallet is probably not the answer, but there is a plausible chance that I am wrong.
He has played in less than 3 games for the Texans. He looked really good in the Cleveland game last year, he played the second game with a torn pectoral muscle and last week, his third appearance, he again looked very good for the six minutes he played.

So I don't know how you can write him off so easily. Do you make judgments on rookie quarterback after 2 games?

He needs at least 6 starts this season before you can make a serious objective decision one way or the other.

The Texans fan base is for the most part ecstatic with this move.

If not for his immaturity and off field issues he would have been the first or second QB picked in the draft.

Who was Mallett's go-to guy in practice. Seems like we see WRs come out of nowhere with QB changes. QBs know who they trust and tend to target them more.
DHop will be his prime target, I would also expect to see a lot of Cecil Shorts in the medium game and crossing routes. Once he gets grows a chemistry with Washington, he will see a lot also. He really opens up the passing. He throws a laser, hope he can get it under control for the short game.

Keep an eye on him this weekend, he will either be a very nice surprise for a lot of people or a huge bust. Could go either way.

Are you a Texans fan? What are they saying locally? Mallet looked decent but Chiefs were playing a lot of loose/prevent defense while he was in.
Fans have wanted Mallet all along overall...O'Brein said that he will evaluate and answer later in the week. Mallet was good, non-great...He at least gives hope versus known mediocrity...for me, Mallet is probably not the answer, but there is a plausible chance that I am wrong.
He has played in less than 3 games for the Texans. He looked really good in the Cleveland game last year, he played the second game with a torn pectoral muscle and last week, his third appearance, he again looked very good for the six minutes he played.

So I don't know how you can write him off so easily. Do you make judgments on rookie quarterback after 2 games?

He needs at least 6 starts this season before you can make a serious objective decision one way or the other.

If not for his immaturity and off field issues he would have been the first or second QB picked in the draft.
He is probably not the answer is the answer for most QBs even those with so-called first round talent. And there just is not a long list of QBs with his NFL background who have made it (mid draft, traded for nothing, low level free agent money) who have turned into even average NFL QBs...sure there is a chance, maybe even better than "normal" for his situation, but he could not cleanly beat out a guy we all knew was mediocore at best.

He is probably not the answer is the answer for most QBs even those with so-called first round talent. And there just is not a long list of QBs with his NFL background who have made it (mid draft, traded for nothing, low level free agent money) who have turned into even average NFL QBs...sure there is a chance, maybe even better than "normal" for his situation, but he could not cleanly beat out a guy we all knew was mediocore at best.
That wasnt the case. From everything the reporters were saying during TC, Mallet was much better than Hoyer. HC wanted to start the season with a veteran QB and let Mallet learn some more before turning the reigns over to him. Mallet was injured last year so he couldnt practice. It was almost a year ago before he threw his first pass in TC. Who wouldnt want to go with a vet that knows the offense? Im not saying Mallet is good. Im saying he cant be worse than Hoyer who we know is not good.

That wasnt the case. From everything the reporters were saying during TC, Mallet was much better than Hoyer. HC wanted to start the season with a veteran QB and let Mallet learn some more before turning the reigns over to him. Mallet was injured last year so he couldnt practice. It was almost a year ago before he threw his first pass in TC. Who wouldnt want to go with a vet that knows the offense? Im not saying Mallet is good. Im saying he cant be worse than Hoyer who we know is not good.
well, here is what the coach said

Brien "Ryan is our starter against Carolina. I said all summer it was extremely close competition. Brian was most consistent in camp."

GrandpaRox said:
SeniorVBDStudent said:
Hoyer: all brain no arm.

Mallett: all arm no brain.
I will agree on Hoyer but only the arm part on Mallett.

He is an Alpha Dog with an attitude, swagger and confidence. Exactly what I want out of my quarterback.
Here is a good link to some of Mallett's ability in a real game. With narration that is way above my understanding.

https://vimeo.com/128449343
The video points out that he can make pre-snap reads and is not afraid to throw into tight coverage, and then goes on to show how he failed to complete a pass to a wide open Hopkins who had beat Joe Hayden because he was too eager. I would agree that he has an alpha dog mentality versus Brian Hoyer who makes Alex Smith look bold, but he will end up throwing a lot of picks imho. If he can police himself, he has a shot at becoming a quality starter.

GrandpaRox said:
SeniorVBDStudent said:
Hoyer: all brain no arm.

Mallett: all arm no brain.
I will agree on Hoyer but only the arm part on Mallett.

He is an Alpha Dog with an attitude, swagger and confidence. Exactly what I want out of my quarterback.
Here is a good link to some of Mallett's ability in a real game. With narration that is way above my understanding.

https://vimeo.com/128449343
The video points out that he can make pre-snap reads and is not afraid to throw into tight coverage, and then goes on to show how he failed to complete a pass to a wide open Hopkins who had beat Joe Hayden because he was too eager. I would agree that he has an alpha dog mentality versus Brian Hoyer who makes Alex Smith look bold, but he will end up throwing a lot of picks imho. If he can police himself, he has a shot at becoming a quality starter.
Don't forget that was his first game, I expect better as he gets more games under him. I also expect some interceptions but a lot of them will be on 3rd down deep and not really much different than a punt.

Main reason for putting in the link is that so many here think of him as being not smart. That is just not true.

Will he be successful, we don't know yet but he has the most potential than any QB that the Texans have ever had.

Appreciate you actually looking at the link.

Mallett looks the part, he was side tracked on the way to being a franchise QB. At this point Houston just has to let him develop. Does anyone know what this offense is *supposed to look like if run properly?

Mallett looks the part, he was side tracked on the way to being a franchise QB. At this point Houston just has to let him develop. Does anyone know what this offense is *supposed to look like if run properly?
My guess is the more like the version of the Pats offense that relies on the run and minimal TE passing (pre Gronk/Murder) or better young Brady.

Fire up your Panthers IDP'ers!

Boy, this team can't get Foster back quickly enough.
The Panthers have their own offensive problems, they had a nice mulligan playing the Jags last week. It sounds to me like the whole team might get a confidence boost out of this. I like the Texans D here.

With Foster out we have a below average running offense so I look for them to open the running game using the pass by lengthening the field so the defense cannot stack the box. I don't see a lot of production from the tight ends but our wide receivers are the best in the history of the franchise so I expect a lot of passing to DHop, Shorts and Washington. Dhop being the most likely to score fantasy points.

Foster practiced one day this week but is ruled out for this game. Last time he was injured he practiced the week before he came back to play. If that is true this time he should be starting week 3. He will make a huge difference for this teams offense.

Fire up your Panthers IDP'ers!

Boy, this team can't get Foster back quickly enough.
The Panthers have their own offensive problems, they had a nice mulligan playing the Jags last week. It sounds to me like the whole team might get a confidence boost out of this. I like the Texans D here.
Clowney had a play count last week (33 plays about half the total). That will go up this week and he did have an impact on the defense. He sets the edge well and can chase down the RB or QB with his speed. For his first game back from micro surgery he really exceeded expectations.

He has not lost his speed, burst or strength at all, he actually packed on about 15 more pounds of muscle during his rehab. I look for much more from his this week and each week as the season progresses. As bad as they looked in the first half last week against KC, they did not allow a point in the second half.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Mallett - QB - Texans

The Texans are sticking with Ryan Mallett at quarterback.

Mallett has played as poorly as a quarterback can play this season, but coach Bill O'Brien knows Brian Hoyer offers similarly little hope. Still, a mid-game benching for Mallett seems more likely than not against the Colts on Thursday. Mallett simply has zero feel for what an NFL quarterback is supposed to do. Both Hoyer and Mallett are turnover machines, but Hoyer has a (slightly) better overall game.

Related: Brian Hoyer

Source: Drew Dougherty on Twitter

Oct 5 - 2:25 PM

Basically whoever starts ends up sucking and whoever comes in relief does well. So start a guy for one drive and then bench him. It apparently doesn't matter which one.

On Boston radio today 'a source' was quoted as saying that if Mallett were in this draft he would be the #1 overall pick.
if that were really true you would have teams lining up to trade their second round pick for Mallet.
How do you know they weren't, and what makes you think the Pats would take a 2nd for him? As a Pats fan, I wouldn't even take a 1st for him in this years draft.
Shown you a lot, has he??
Enough to know if Brady goes down there's not another QB in the AFC East I'd rather have.
Gold, Jerry, Gold!

You know Mallett was laughing on the inside
Oh absolutely. But how much faith do you have that this scrub mallet wouldn't have made the same boneheaded throw?
I couldn't believe how he was acting. Wasn't even rooting for his team once Hoyer got in there. What an immature, spoiled idiot. The Texans should cut him today. He's below average anyway. No way a guy with that mentality could ever be a team leader.

You know Mallett was laughing on the inside
Yea he probably stopped pouting long enough to have a good chuckle. He looked like a sad 12 yr old on the side line after they took him out.
Seriously. What a baby. The irony of taking himself out of the game and then crying about it is pure comedy.
Ryan Mallett must have been the town hero since he was 12 years old. Pampered by mommy and daddy, revered by the entire town. Always got what he wanted. The look on his face as he stood on the sideline reminded me of a young child when told he couldn't have something at the store. I didn't see it, but I heard he acted similarly when O'Brien told him that Hoyer was going to start opening day. I don't see why they don't cut him. It's not like he's anything special. And he'll certainly never be a team leader.

Utter bonehead.

His career is going to be over in short order.

Users who are viewing this thread