What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mallett (6 Viewers)

I think a lot of teams, including my Skins, are going to regret passing on Ryan Mallet a few years from now. And I felt this way before his performance in a pre-season game.

There were enough concerns there to not take him in the top half of the first round but after that I think he was good value. Sure, he's not mobile but if you put him in a good offensive scheme and protect him, I think he has Pro-Bowl ability.

This situation bums me out to no end. (Mallett probably isn't thrilled about it either.)

I'm not just a Raiders fan. I'm a fan of the NFL. I like to watch good football. There are only 32 starting QB jobs available, and there's no question in my mind Mallett deserves to be one of them. I think he is a supremely talented thrower, and it just sucks that we don't get to see it every Sunday. By my estimation, if he had a full offseason AND was given a fair chance to win the starting job, he would have a good shot to be the starter with about 1/3 of the league.

Jets

Bills

Dolphins

Browns

Chiefs

Titans

Jaguars

Vikings

Seahawks

Cardinals

The hardest job to win out of those would be the Bills. The rest, I give him a fantastic shot.

Oh well. It is what it is, as they say. :kicksrock:

Two scenarios1. NE will groom him to be the next franchise QB of the Patriots 3 years down the line.2. They see Mallett as a stock (bought low), and are going to groom him to later sell him in a couple years for a high price (i.e. Cassel)Either way, he won't be an NFL starter for 2-3 years. I do believe he will be an NFL starter though and will be good. He has all the tools, went to a great organization, and is learning from a QB who is very similar to him (statue QB).
I think #1 is what the Patriots have in mind. He will have plenty of time to learn the offense and has a pro arm. He should she plenty of reps in the preseason and will eventually take over as the primary backup if they get rid of Hoyer.

Two scenarios1. NE will groom him to be the next franchise QB of the Patriots 3 years down the line.2. They see Mallett as a stock (bought low), and are going to groom him to later sell him in a couple years for a high price (i.e. Cassel)Either way, he won't be an NFL starter for 2-3 years. I do believe he will be an NFL starter though and will be good. He has all the tools, went to a great organization, and is learning from a QB who is very similar to him (statue QB).
I think #1 is what the Patriots have in mind. He will have plenty of time to learn the offense and has a pro arm. He should she plenty of reps in the preseason and will eventually take over as the primary backup if they get rid of Hoyer.
Hoyer's a UFA at season's end, if any of the other 31 teams think he can start he won't be back. We really won't know the Patroits intent with Mallett until after next year's draft. If I had to bet I'd say Hoyer is the backup this year and the Pats don't attempt to re-sign him unless he doesn't get any nibbles elsehwere (he probably will). Then Mallett is the backup and the Pats bring in a 7th rounder for the 3rd QB. The Pats hope to not make a decision on Mallett until 2015 when his contract runs up. Ideally, Brady is still their QB and Mallett agrees to continue to be his backup/QB of the future. He may pursue a starting job though, calculated risk on the Pats part. I won't be surprised if the Pats trade him before then, but if pressed I don't think they will.

I think he's their 2014 starter.

mallett has quietly been dropped in dyno's. time to stash!
I essentially traded Mallett for Weeden in this years draft. Technically I traded him for a pick in which a used to acquire Weeden. Maybe I'll regret this next year or in 2 years. I think it was fair value though. Weeden will be a starter this year. Hopefully Clev. can put a few weapons around him the next couple of years. I still really love Mallett's raw ability. I'm not sure how much, if at all, he's matured during his time in NE. His own mental weaknesses are the only thing that will hold him back from being a starting QB in the NFL IMO.

Conflicting reports on Mallett:

[KFFL) New England Patriots QB Ryan Mallett has shown an increased comfort level with the offense in training camp. Mallett spent much of his rookie season trying to catch up after the lockout eliminated rookie camp and organized team activities. "He's way ahead of where he was last year," head coach Bill Belichick said. "(He) knows more about what we're doing, I think has a better understanding of what the defense is doing and has run the plays - he's actually run them. Last year, we were putting them in and he had never done them before."
(Rotoworld) CSN New England's Tom Curran nominates QB Ryan Mallett as one of the biggest disappointments in Patriots training camp.

no joke brohan when i read your title about him seeing the field i got real worried that something happened to his eyes like he was spraying ant and roach killer and it blew back on him or he was running a machine and a filing or something flew in to one of his eyes but then i read the post and it was like a world of weight was off of my back man i would never want to see a good young guy like that get hurt and it would be a tragedy so i am glad that it was just about him playing and not being blinded by a freak industrial accident but anyhow on topic i think that he is probably never a starter in the nfl and will only see time if he goes somewhere else and then the starter there is crappy like in jacksonville or the starter there gets hurt a lot like if he went to philly so take that to the rolaids is how i spell relief bank

Mallett looks good out there, Patriots have two backups who are better than 1/3 of the starters in the NFL. 1st round pick anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mallett looks good out there, Patriots have two backups who are better than 1/3 of the starters in the NFL. 1st round pick anyone?
I'm not sure I'd characterize Mallet's performance tonight as "good" ...but against a 1st string defense with primarily a 2nd team offense, he certainly hasn't been bad... I thought Mallet made some really poor decisions, including his 1 pick (which was negated by a penalty), held onto the ball too long, and was pretty inaccurate. However, he was under pressure frequently, which didn't help.

New England Patriots reportedly high on Ryan Mallett By Chris WesselingAround the League Writer
In light of the depressed quarterback market in free agency and the 2013 NFL Draft, there has been no lack of offseason speculation that the New England Patriots will be open to offers for backup Ryan Mallett.For the second time since last summer, however, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Wednesday the Patriots remain high on Mallett and have "really been impressed" with his practices. "Even Brian Daboll, who left Kansas City and joined the Patriots in the postseason, recognized that Mallett could have won the starting job with the Chiefs -- and with other NFL franchises," Schefter wrote.Although the Patriots have been known to hype their backup quarterbacks via NFL insiders, they did prove their confidence in Mallett by installing him as the lone backup to Tom Brady upon waiving Brian Hoyer last August.With Matt Cassel likely to be available for a potential New England reunion with coach Bill Belichick and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, the Patriots are in a sweet spot with Mallett.They can afford to part with him if a desperate team blows them away with a trade offer. If no team meets their asking price, they can keep their talented young backup as Brady insurance.

Rotoworld)NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Monday that the Patriots are expected to "entertain offers" for Ryan Mallett on the heels of Tom Brady's contract extension.Analysis: The Pats have Brady (cheaply) locked in for the next five seasons, and Mallett's rookie deal runs out in 2015. "I think it means he's gonna be traded," Rapoport said of Mallett. The Browns seem likely to at least explore the possibility of a trade, and might be the team Bill Belichick calls first. We suspect Mallett would be available for a second-rounder. Cleveland does not have a second-rounder in April's draft, but could either put together a package of 2013 picks or offer a second-round selection from a future draft.

I really wish KC would take a sniff here....they could go BPA at #1 overall and maybe trade their high second for Mallet...if he was in this draft class I think he would easily be the #1 pick....

I really wish KC would take a sniff here....they could go BPA at #1 overall and maybe trade their high second for Mallet...if he was in this draft class I think he would easily be the #1 pick....
I would certainly rather roll the dice on an unknown with talent like Mallett, instead of a re-tread like Alex Smith

I would certainly rather roll the dice on an unknown with talent like Mallett, instead of a re-tread like Alex Smith
Of course you would. Most fantasy owners like upside but I imagine the nfl thinking is different. Smith is not a top tier qb, but he is competent and capable of shoring up the position. A team like Kansas City has so many holes that getting reliable and useful players in the short term is a better option than shooting for the moon all over the field.

I think a lot of teams, including my Skins, are going to regret passing on Ryan Mallet a few years from now. And I felt this way before his performance in a pre-season game.There were enough concerns there to not take him in the top half of the first round but after that I think he was good value. Sure, he's not mobile but if you put him in a good offensive scheme and protect him, I think he has Pro-Bowl ability.
Wonder if the Skins still regret passing on Mallet? Funny how a year can change things so much.

Of course you would. Most fantasy owners like upside but I imagine the nfl thinking is different. Smith is not a top tier qb, but he is competent and capable of shoring up the position. A team like Kansas City has so many holes that getting reliable and useful players in the short term is a better option than shooting for the moon all over the field.
really? thats a terrible way to address a team, especially at QB, if you dont have a QB you dont have anything in this league. I KNOW alex smith isnt going to get it done, Id rather take the risk on a high upside unknown than a re-tread.

really? thats a terrible way to address a team, especially at QB, if you dont have a QB you dont have anything in this league. I KNOW alex smith isnt going to get it done, Id rather take the risk on a high upside unknown than a re-tread.
I'm not sure how you "know" that. Smith was fantastic in the 2011/2012 playoffs and had very nice numbers last year when they went to Kaepernick. In fact, his numbers were top 10 numbers when he was replaced. No, he's not dynamic, but I think he's very much capable of running a good offense.

I'm not sure how you "know" that. Smith was fantastic in the 2011/2012 playoffs and had very nice numbers last year when they went to Kaepernick. In fact, his numbers were top 10 numbers when he was replaced. No, he's not dynamic, but I think he's very much capable of running a good offense.
Exactly. Smith was just fine the last two years.

You have to think they'd struggle to sell another Pats QB to the fan base

and yet a smart coach, made the switch to Kaepernick, and there stands Alex Smith. Smits is an easily replacable part.If Im a KC fan, I want better. Too bad for them this draft isnt producing a cant miss guy at #1. Gonna have to get creative and find a late rounder, Alex Smith just isnt a move Id make.

and yet a smart coach, made the switch to Kaepernick, and there stands Alex Smith. Smits is an easily replacable part.If Im a KC fan, I want better. Too bad for them this draft isnt producing a cant miss guy at #1. Gonna have to get creative and find a late rounder, Alex Smith just isnt a move Id make.
To be fair, it is clearly not a big slight to be replaced by Kaepernick.

For a 2014 2nd and two years left on a cheap rookie deal I don't think it would be that difficult. Much different that the Cassel trade where they had to give him a huge deal.

For a 2014 2nd and two years left on a cheap rookie deal I don't think it would be that difficult. Much different that the Cassel trade where they had to give him a huge deal.
Mallet is a poor fit for Reid's scheme. I'd put his velocity up against anyone in the NFL but unless he's improved a lot from college he's not very accurate. Not a true WC QB.To me the team that seems like a perfect fit for Mallet is Arizona. That's a coach preaching the deep pass which is not Kolb's or Alex Smith's strength. In this draft you have two big armed guys, Glennon and Bray but neither seem remotely ready to lead a team next year.

Mallet is a poor fit for Reid's scheme. I'd put his velocity up against anyone in the NFL but unless he's improved a lot from college he's not very accurate. Not a true WC QB.To me the team that seems like a perfect fit for Mallet is Arizona. That's a coach preaching the deep pass which is not Kolb's or Alex Smith's strength. In this draft you have two big armed guys, Glennon and Bray but neither seem remotely ready to lead a team next year.
They better improve that o-line first, because Mallet is a statue.

So are Peyton and Brady. Kolb's pretty mobile and gets treated like a pinata weekly. Scrambling ability is overrated when it comes to avoiding sacks. Making quick reads and getting the ball out of your hands is so much more critical to not taking sacks. Not saying Mallet can do those things but I think that has a lot more to do with avoiding sacks than moblility.

So are Peyton and Brady. Kolb's pretty mobile and gets treated like a pinata weekly. Scrambling ability is overrated when it comes to avoiding sacks. Making quick reads and getting the ball out of your hands is so much more critical to not taking sacks. Not saying Mallet can do those things but I think that has a lot more to do with avoiding sacks than moblility.
Peyton has a quick release and Brady moves well within the pocket - Mallet has a slower release and can't move well at all. I don't disagree that he fits the downfield attack style and I think he's a good QB - I just think he'd get killed there (but to be fair anyone would, as you mention with Kolb).

If Arizona gets an OL in the first and a few more in the draft, I'd like him there. Otherwise, Cleveland. Buffalo would cause me to drop him unless they added some serious WR talent as well. KC makes no sense and just won't happen.

I would be ECSTATIC if the Jets traded for Mallett. It will probably never happen though :wall: A.Smith is garbage!!!

'Dr. Octopus said:
'menobrown said:
'Dr. Octopus said:
'menobrown said:
'cstu said:
'dewmass said:
Peyton has a quick release and Brady moves well within the pocket - Mallet has a slower release and can't move well at all. I don't disagree that he fits the downfield attack style and I think he's a good QB - I just think he'd get killed there (but to be fair anyone would, as you mention with Kolb).
What's wrong with his release here?

'gebz306 said:
I would be ECSTATIC if the Jets traded for Mallett. It will probably never happen though :wall: A.Smith is garbage!!!
The only valid criticism of smith is his lack of ability to throw a consistent deep ball. I'm not sure that makes him garbage.

'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
'Abraham said:
No, you don't.

'Abraham said:
No, you don't.
bet?

'Abraham said:
'GroveDiesel said:
'Abraham said:
Exactly. Smith was just fine the last two years.
I didn't know they resigned Cassel. Great move, you're right.

'gebz306 said:
The only valid criticism of smith is his lack of ability to throw a consistent deep ball. I'm not sure that makes him garbage.
He has trouble throwing into coverage so he settles for short easy passes unless a guy gets wide open (like VD a couple times in the NFCC). IMO, part of the reason Crabtree didn't put up better numbers with Smith is because he doesn't get open enough for Smith's liking and he does force the ball. For me it's a major liability but he's still an improvement over Kolb or Cassel.

'menobrown said:
'cstu said:
'dewmass said:
What!!!!!,!,!Mallot has great accuracy. Kid is a stud.

:confused: he was under 60% in college, which isn't good.
Nearly 65% his junior year and back to back seasons of 30+ TD's and a 9.7 YPA.
Having watched most of his games in college I can tell you he is really inconsistent. He will make some throws 40 yards down the field that will make you go :shock: :eek: :thumbup: the very next series he will throw into triple coverage right to the DB.His biggest problem, and I hope the NFL coaches and watching Brady would help this, is that he trusts his arm and accuracy too much IMO. He tries to fit balls in that tight window and believes he can do it every time. When it works it is really fun to watch, when it doesn't :wall: Have to take the good with the bad with Mallet and if he can make better decisions he could be a very good NFL QB.

His biggest problem, and I hope the NFL coaches and watching Brady would help this, is that he trusts his arm and accuracy too much IMO. He tries to fit balls in that tight window and believes he can do it every time. When it works it is really fun to watch, when it doesn't :wall: Have to take the good with the bad with Mallet and if he can make better decisions he could be a very good NFL QB.
Sounds a bit like Cutler.

His biggest problem, and I hope the NFL coaches and watching Brady would help this, is that he trusts his arm and accuracy too much IMO. He tries to fit balls in that tight window and believes he can do it every time. When it works it is really fun to watch, when it doesn't :wall: Have to take the good with the bad with Mallet and if he can make better decisions he could be a very good NFL QB.
Sounds a bit like Cutler.
Cutler is actually more mobile but IMO Mallet has a better arm and accuracy. As tall as he is he can see the field really well also. His biggest problem has always been his decision making....and the fact that he is a statue.

Users who are viewing this thread