What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mathews & Mike Tolbert, RBs, San Diego Chargers (2 Viewers)

What's the Tease going to do this week? Jacksonville's defense has injuries all over the place and the Organization is a complete mess right now. Will the Tease shrivel up on national TV again or was last week the beginning of a trend?

You guys with a Mathews vs. Mike Bush decision this week: what are your thoughts?I'm leaning Mathews. Miami's run D has been tough, plus I like having the Monday night Ace up my sleeve. :football:
I was considering the same. Miami has been a wall lately. Common sense states play Bush because he gets all the carries but the upside of Mathews is like crack.

You guys with a Mathews vs. Mike Bush decision this week: what are your thoughts?I'm leaning Mathews. Miami's run D has been tough, plus I like having the Monday night Ace up my sleeve. :football:
bush has been a stud, mathews hasnt
So last week was the anomaly rather than a sign of things to come?
he has 3 tds all year. sd is not a good offensive team this year. mathews is talented but injury prone and plays for a crappy offensive team. hes still a decent rb2 but bush has been a stud rb1 since dmc got hurt. not sure how this is even a debate
Is it debatable yet?

he has 3 tds all year. sd is not a good offensive team this year. mathews is talented but injury prone and plays for a crappy offensive team. hes still a decent rb2 but bush has been a stud rb1 since dmc got hurt. not sure how this is even a debate
Is it debatable yet?
i hope u lose :thumbup:

Is it debatable yet?
Already have a first-round bye, but thanks.

Is it debatable yet?
Already have a first-round bye, but thanks.
im not gonna lose any sleep about being wrong. hth

I have a bye. Was planning on benching him in week 15 vs BAL but now I just dont know. Why couldnt he just keep sucking? :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ended up the right choice for me over M Bush this week. Feel lucky though....he had to do a lot with his lousy 13 carries. He's getting pulled out of the game constantly. Even in this route. The 2 minute drill before the half was all Tolbert. Passing downs are Tolbert. Goal line is still Tolbert. They must not trust him.

He's getting pulled out of the game constantly. Even in this route. The 2 minute drill before the half was all Tolbert. Passing downs are Tolbert. Goal line is still Tolbert. They must not trust him.
I didn't watch the game tonight. I see he got 16 touches. I really wish they'd make it a point to get him at least 20. He's clearly the better talent when healthy. I still fear a situation where they get behind early and he barely gets touches.

Mathews back into the top 10 in PPR leagues after tonight. Right around #10 in non-PPR, and should pass Forte and FJax within the next week or two. And he's doing this despite being nicked up and playing behind the worst Chrager OL in a decade.

This kid is going to go high in 2012 drafts. The only thing keeping him from top 5 status is health.

This kid is going to go high in 2012 drafts. The only thing keeping him from top 5 status is health.
He should go high next year, especially in PPR. But I'm almost definitely going to stay away. Unless they get a new coach and offensive plan. With the current coach and Mathews fragile nature, I won't go back for him. I'm gonna ride him out this year and hope he helps me, but I'm done with him after this year unless something changes.

Anyone see if Mathews was getting any medical attention on the sidelines at the end of the game?

He took a knee to the back of the head late in the game. He got up a little slow but when he went to the sidelines, he didn't take off his helmet. He was just standing there a little hunched over with a coach talking to him.

Hope he's ok.

Ryan Mathews rushed 20 times for 114 yards and added six catches for 34 yards in the Chargers' Week 14 win over the Bills.

Mathews has now rushed for 100 or more yards in three straight games, proving himself as one of the most dynamic running back talents in the NFL. He's improved drastically in the passing game and now has four games with five or more catches on the year. The only drawbacks are his nagging injuries -- he appeared to get shaken up late in this one -- and Mike Tolbert's touchdown vulture role. Tolbert punched another one in from 1-yard out today.
:unsure:

hope no concussion

Last edited by a moderator:
As it is he's going against the Ravens next week. But the Ravens had trouble stopping the run the last time they traveled across the country (Marshawn Lynch at SEA) so I'm definitely planning to play Mathews next week. So yeah - hope he's ok. :o

im not playing him vs baltimore. not saying he cant do good but i traded for benson who plays stl specifically for this week

Tolbert has generally been more active than Mathews in the passing game for most of this season. But over the last two weeks, Tolbert has been targeted only twice, compared to 9 times for Mathews.

He's clearly more talented than fat slow Tolbert but I can't trust the guy. Mathews has great talent but as an owner in a dynasty I'd sell him in a minute for something legit. Long term waste of time/anxiety IMO

He's clearly more talented than fat slow Tolbert but I can't trust the guy. Mathews has great talent but as an owner in a dynasty I'd sell him in a minute for something legit. Long term waste of time/anxiety IMO
Who fits the bill there though? Serious question.

I'm thrilled about his production this year especially relative to where I drafted him.

That said next year there's no way he'll end up on any of my teams. He'll be a first/second rounder and I just can't invest in a guy as injury prone as Mathews.

Comical. It's like they don't even know Mathews is on the team sometimes.
hard to blame him for this one cuz turners an #######
You're right RN. What a #######' idiot Turner is. Mathews was great for a month. Ran for a hundy several times, scored from 30+ out, scored from the goal line. He can make people miss, he can make a play. And fattie Tolbert got the bulk of the action today. Mathews is legit, with the exception of the injury softness. Get him the ball.Hope Turner gets fired.

You're right RN. What a #######' idiot Turner is. Mathews was great for a month. Ran for a hundy several times, scored from 30+ out, scored from the goal line. He can make people miss, he can make a play. And fattie Tolbert got the bulk of the action today. Mathews is legit, with the exception of the injury softness. Get him the ball.Hope Turner gets fired.
Turner will be gone next season, his coaching is atrocious and the slow starts of the past few seasons are a clear indicator of bad coaching.

If Mathews doesn't learn how to block, he still won't get on the field on 3rd down next year, even with a new coach. He gives the most pathetic effort sometimes. It would be nice to see him just get in the way of a blitzer.

Very disappointing to see Mathews miss week 17. Of course this did not affect most owners whose FF seasons ended in week 16, but just kind of leaves a bad taste in the mouth for 2012. The talent is clearly there, but the nagging injuries are a nightmare. Let’s forget about Norv or no Norv for a minute, as well as Tolbert or no Tolbert – I know, those are factors – but where do you think Mathews will go in 2012 redrafts, and where do you think he should go?

Very disappointing to see Mathews miss week 17. Of course this did not affect most owners whose FF seasons ended in week 16, but just kind of leaves a bad taste in the mouth for 2012. The talent is clearly there, but the nagging injuries are a nightmare. Let’s forget about Norv or no Norv for a minute, as well as Tolbert or no Tolbert – I know, those are factors – but where do you think Mathews will go in 2012 redrafts, and where do you think he should go?
He'll go in the late 1st. He's a 24 yr old rb who finished in the top 10 and has upside to what he did this season.

He'll go in the late 1st. He's a 24 yr old rb who finished in the top 10 and has upside to what he did this season.
:goodposting:He could arguably go as high as the #4 RB, after McCoy, Rice, Foster (in whatever order. He was top 10 this year despite missing two games. And, if anything, his touches could increase with Norv gone... IMO most coaches would have shifted more of the workload from Tolbert to Mathews, and that's what I expect next year.

Users who are viewing this thread