What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

S Jax & your thoughts for 2006 (1 Viewer)

streamkeeper

Footballguy
I am having a tough time defining my thoughts on S Jax. I watched him last season and at times was impressed and at other times I thought he was very average. Once Bulger went down and teams started to stack the line against STL his season was over. Here are my questions about him;

1. Do you think he runs hard? At time he looks like his runs too upright for me.

2. Do you think the STL will favor a more balanced approach with the new staff. An earlier interview with Bulger sure suggested such a change.

3. Will M Faulk continue to steal carries?

I like his youth. I like the scoring potiential of his offense. I like the fact his is involved in the passing game. I feel like he has huge upside, but last year's inconsistancy scares me. Right now I have him in a bunch with L Jordan, Caddy, and Rudi.

I am curious because I have to choose between he and Jordan as keepers this season. My intention is not to draw this out into a question about my team, but if I had to choose today I would take S Jax due to youth and team situation. I don't think that would be the popular option at FBGs.

Let's have a discussion I am interested in your thoughts on S Jax in 2006.

I am having a tough time defining my thoughts on S Jax.  I watched him last season and at times was impressed and at other times I thought he was very average.  Once Bulger went down and teams started to stack the line against STL his season was over.  Here are my questions about him;

1.  Do you think he runs hard?  At time he looks like his runs too upright for me.

2.  Do you think the STL will favor a more balanced approach with the new staff.  An earlier interview with Bulger sure suggested such a change.

3.  Will M Faulk continue to steal carries?

I like his youth.  I like the scoring potiential of his offense.  I like the fact his is involved in the passing game.  I feel like he has huge upside, but last year's inconsistancy scares me.  Right now I have him in a bunch with L Jordan, Caddy, and Rudi. 

I am curious because I have to choose between he and Jordan as keepers this season.  My intention is not to draw this out into a question about my team, but if I had to choose today I would take S Jax due to youth and team situation.  I don't think that would be the popular option at FBGs.

Let's have a discussion I am interested in your thoughts on S Jax in 2006.
good observations...1 - he runs hard when he is on his game, but he dances a little too much for my taste behind the LOS... i did read that martz ran too many outside runs that worked well in faulk era, but jackson would probably do better if they just had him attack the openings between the tackles more often... hopefully linehan will get that done, & recognize they are different backs with different physical traits & skill sets & design his scheme around their different strengths & capabilities...

2 - no question they will be more balanced... that could be a very good thing in this context... he should get more carries... i would expect the offense to be more efficient, run better, have more plays, do better on time of possession & score more next season...

3 - if faulk comes back, he will be involved, but with the team probably running more as a whole, i still would expect him to get more overall carries despite that...

in a dynasty/keeper league i would think jackson would be a no-brainer... jordan is closer to 30 & jax closer to 25...

i like cadillac & ronnie brown better for stud young backs, but i like jax better than JJ & KJ based on what they have done so far...

i recently read something potentially disturbing by local journalist randy karraker who is very close to the team... he thinks they will need a different RB to get to super bowl... i have a lot of respect for his opinion, & he has been right a lot in the past... not sure i agree in this case...

my issue with him is that while he is a tremendous physical specimen (supposedly ran a 10.6 100 m as prep, though there is no way he is that fast since bulking up in college) in terms of his size, speed & strength, he does not possess the elite vision, instincts or open field elusiveness we are accustomed to from blue chip, stud franchise type RBs (like cadillac, for instance... there are times when jax doesn't hit the right hole, runs into his own blockers & defenders, etc).

when he breaks into the clear, though, he is a load for DBs to bring down... despite what i said, if things break right for the offense in general & him personally, i could see him getting close to 1,500 yards & 10-12 TDs with upside...

some negatives are he seems to be dinged easily & for a guy his size he is not the monster goal line runner that perhaps he should be... also for a pretty good athlete, he doesn't imo have a lot of shake 'n bake & wiggle.

a comp player as a "big back" might be eddie george, who also didn't have a lot of elusiveness... george played stronger & ran with more authority... that said, jackson is much faster, i think, & IS more elusive with niftier feet than george...

some pluses... pace & barron could form nucleus of a solid OL, they could move the ball well & be around the goal line a lot in upcoming seasons if linehan can smooth out the kinks & imbalances with matz's pass-wacky skewed offense... & he does have the athleticism to catch a lot of passes... i would think 40-50 receptions, no problem, especially once faulk hangs up his cleats...

* edit/add - jordan turns 28 during season... not OLD, but you are looking at a guy who might be old in a couple years...

jax is just 22 & will turn 23 this summer...

Last edited by a moderator:
Steven Jackson is certainly a tough call for next season. I had him last season and never knew what to expect from week to week.

1- I believe that he does run hard. Successful runners with his style usually seem like they are only going half speed. People still continue to question Shaun Alexander toughness, yet he continues to put up huge numbers while staying injury free.

2- I don't have any inside information, but a new coaching staff would have to notice what he can do for an offense. Martz certainly had little interest in utilyzing his skills.

3- I would think that Faulk will be limited to passing down packages. This is actually a good thing, because it will keep Jackson healthy for goal line carries.

Bottom line: I view Jackson as a top ten rb who easily has a chance to achieve elite status by the end of the season. Of couse he could put up ordinary numbers like he often did last year.

Im sitting on Jackson as well in my keeper league, and he's got me wondering as well. Ive offered him in a big package to try to get ahold of either Tomlinson or Alexander, but nothing is for certain there, so Im planning on keeping him. I do think he runs tall and dances a little, but partly because the blocking up front has been inconsistent. If that line gels, I think he could be a force. He showed me he could do something with the ball catching out of the backfield...not Faulk like, but who is?. So, I was encouraged by his versatility there. And they did have a rookie RT, so improvement is certain on that side. I see the line play improving, and if Bulger can stay healthy, the Rams will again be in a posiition to score of ton of TDs. Jackson scored 10 last year in what I thought was a less than average year for what Id expect of him. Im optimistic that even if he doesnt rush for more than 11 or 1200 yds, his total yds will still be over 1500 and his TDs will be more than a dozen. He has been dinged up, but no major issues. Pro and con, but Ill side with the positive in this case. Hopefully, a key addition along the line and a solid year of offseason prep and film study will help Steph Jack a bunch.

when jackson came out & hoge broke him down on film, he was raving about how he was the most complete RB in draft... he can block, & catches the ball pretty well... i have seen him overwhelmed in pass protection by safeties, but this could be a matter of technique & getting a sound base & leverage.

when jackson came out & hoge broke him down on film, he was raving about how he was the most complete RB in draft... he can block, & catches the ball pretty well... i have seen him overwhelmed in pass protection by safeties, but this could be a matter of technique & getting a sound base & leverage.
He needs to study Edge James in the blocking area because they are of similar height, but Edge never gets overwhelmed and is probably the best in the game at blitz pickup. Hopefully the tech adjustments are what's needed there.

I think in a dynasty or keeper league, there is too much potential in St. Louis for him to have top 5 rb numbers to let him go. To me he shows flashes of domination. He can get on a roll, get his confidence up, and he can be a beast. I think too many times in Martz's led offense, he lost confidence because he was getting hit real soon after getting the ball. He never had a line that run blocked more than it pass - blocked for him, plus he placed rb #'rs 10, and 11 in my leagues. If you look back to last year, he had elite fantasy rb #'rs for the early to mid part of the season, while the Ram's playoff hopes were still alive. Once the Ram's season went downward, his did too. I think his figures will go up this year as the running game may be used more to set up the passing, instead of vice/versa. Alot of people think of the Rams's running game and still think of the numbers Faulk put up, but people tend to forget just how damn good Faulk was, and why he is heading to the hall. Many of those games, Faulk was a whole offense himself, didn't matter if he had good blocking or not, his ability to juke and make people miss was all the blocking he needed many times. All I can say about SJax is how do you think he would've performed had he stayed healthy behind an offensive line like -say- Seattle's ?

Gret feedback. Thanks.

SoloMatisse, I too have tried to package him for LT. No such Luck.

It looks like everyone who owns him has questions. This is comforting to note.

I think Bulger's injury hurt his production more than his injury did. Again, I noticed the dropoff after teams started coming with 8 in the box. I consider injury incalculable (sp?) in FF, so it is not a part of my decision making. I can't see how he would not improve on last years numbers.

Put me in the category that Jackson is a Top 5 RB next year. He has it all, and I'm expecting him to put up a monster year. I'm actually planning on drafting near the end of round 1 so that I can scoop him in round 2.

I think that Jackson is the type of player that can win a fantasy season for you. He won't be drafted in the top 5, but has that potential.

i'm surprised so many people are up on him this year, i would have expected a dropoff in support...new coach (new system?), possible injury concerns...

I just offered him up in my league for 1.01 and 2.01. I wanted to ask for more, but couldn't justify it in my mind. Guess i'll have to up it now, thanks guys lol

No way he has a drop off this year. He will be a top five back. The new system will be much more balanced, giving him every opportunity to succeed. I think the only thing that will hold him back is his inability to keep from getting injured.

I have him projected top 10 back. But not top 5 yet. Guys like James and Barber do it year after year. Jackson will have to prove me he's top 5 worthy first! He might not even be top 10 yet. But potentional is there with Marshall nearing retirement and new coaches.

He was 14th in the league last season with 1046 yards and that was without his QB and with all kinds of turmoil and a very unbalanced game plan. Predicting him to be in the top ten or top five might not be a big stretch.

Jackson dynasty owner.

The last part of the season really soured me on him. Physically, the guy is a stud. However, I think he may be lacking in the toughness area. He threw up some clunker games and really did not show a lot of burst late in the year. S Jax has too many negative yardage carries. His game against the Cardinals was one of the worst fantasy games ever turned in by a supposed "stud." Granted the Rams OL was putrid, but 12 carries for 6 yards!?! :bag:

If the guy that played the first half against the Colts shows up every week next year, he will be a top 5 back. Otherwise 10-15.

I just wanted to bump my initial S Jax thread. It looks like people have peaked on S Jax, guys like R Brown are jumping ahead, at least in the FBGs rankings. I am kinda suprised by this. However, I still think he will improve over last season and with his youth he has intriguing dynasty value.

Any more thoughts?

I have S-Jax somewhere in the 8-10 range. I personally don't see him getting the workload or the TD to be a Top 5 back this year.

Too many questions? How so? He went for 1300/10 last year hitting just about every one of his weaknesses along the way, and his situation has gotten exponentially better headed into this year.

Barring a major injury I don't see a downside for SJax. He will certainly at least match his 1300/10 numbers which would put him in borderline #1RB/#2RB range, with the very likely chance that he will continue to improve on those numbers.

I have S-Jax somewhere in the 8-10 range.  I personally don't see him getting the workload or the TD to be a Top 5 back this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Workload? After 8 weeks last year Jackson was I believe #2 in scoring, and that was with only one game of more than 20 carries.His FF pts the first 8 weeks in a standard 10/6 league:

Again, only one game over 20 carries in that bunch and he was 2nd in scoring. So even if he doesn't get a huge load he can be a top 3 back, and if he DOES get more touches.....well, that could get scary good.

I have S-Jax somewhere in the 8-10 range.  I personally don't see him getting the workload or the TD to be a Top 5 back this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Workload? After 8 weeks last year Jackson was I believe #2 in scoring, and that was with only one game of more than 20 carries.His FF pts the first 8 weeks in a standard 10/6 league:

Again, only one game over 20 carries in that bunch and he was 2nd in scoring. So even if he doesn't get a huge load he can be a top 3 back, and if he DOES get more touches.....well, that could get scary good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know what Jackson averaged at the beginning of the year, but it sure wasn't #2. And they play 16 games and that's all that counts in the score book.LT was the #3 back last year with 314 fantasy points scored. Jackson was #11 with 183. By my math, that's 131 points. He had 297 touches. On a per touch basis, that's 0.616 per touch.

At the same rate, Jackson would need 482 touches to get to 314 points. So Jackson would have to be a lot more productive and get a lot more looks to rank Top 3.

I don't see it happening, but others can come to different conclusions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know what Jackson averaged at the beginning of the year, but it sure wasn't #2. And they play 16 games and that's all that counts in the score book.LT was the #3 back last year with 314 fantasy points scored. Jackson was #11 with 183. By my math, that's 131 points. He had 297 touches. On a per touch basis, that's 0.616 per touch.

At the same rate, Jackson would need 482 touches to get to 314 points. So Jackson would have to be a lot more productive and get a lot more looks to rank Top 3.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take note of the fact that in 16 games he only had 20+ rushes 3 times.QB turmoil didn't help either, especially when they went to the turnover machine Ryan Fitzsucks.

Despite that, he averaged 4.1 ypc.

Look at the # of carries Dolphin backs got last year.

Draw your own conclusions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take note of the fact that in 16 games he only had 20+ rushes 3 times.QB turmoil didn't help either, especially when they went to the turnover machine Ryan Fitzsucks.

Despite that, he averaged 4.1 ypc.

Look at the # of carries Dolphin backs got last year.

Draw your own conclusions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What does STL have to do with MIA? Brown will likely get most of the touches Williams got. Is Jackson going to take the workload from someone else? Or are you trying to say that because the Dolphins' backs had 400 carries that therefore the Rams RBs will?

I'm not sure where the hate for SJAX is coming from. I don't think anyone would argue that the Rams were a team in turmoil last year. Injuries (players and coaches) left that team dismal. Even despite that SJAX was still #13 RB in my league, which awards points per carry. Also consider that was his first year as 'the man'. I don't know whether or not he will be a top 5 back or not, but I wouldn't be suprised if he was. He is definitely top 10 barring injury.

Obviously the first 3 picks are LT, LJ and SA. After that you can't argue SJAX is a bad pick at 4. He has the #1 job, he is on a good offense, and is young still. Only Portis may be a better pick. The rest have some ?? next to their name. Either new team, RBBC, etc... I haven't read a post that gives a valid reason after watching his first year as 'the man" why he couldn't be top 5.

I don't know what Jackson averaged at the beginning of the year, but it sure wasn't #2.
Then you're just not remembering. If I had the time, I'd try and dig up the thread half way through the season about Jackson being the #2 pick in redrafts for 2006, it was quite long and should be pretty memorable. I don't know that he was exactly #2 in scoring at that point, but if I recall he was quite close to it if nothing else.He was tied with Alexander at that point, that should say enough about the area he was scoring in. LJ hadn't taken over at that point, so I can't think of any other RBs outside of LT that were scoring higher than Alexander (and hence Jackson as well) at that point.

And they play 16 games and that's all that counts in the score book.
You couldn't have missed the point more. You said Jackson wouldn't get the workload to be a top 5 back. My point was that through 8 weeks he was a top 3 back while only carrying the ball more than 20 times once. He was clearly capable of being a top 3-5 back even without a 30 carry workload, because he was doing it until Bulger went down.Not to mention that the odds of a RBs workload staying the same or going down after Martz leaves town are pretty low. But regardless, even without an increased workload he showed last year that he can still be a top back.

LT was the #3 back last year with 314 fantasy points scored.  Jackson was #11 with 183.  By my math, that's 131 points.  He had 297 touches.  On a per touch basis, that's 0.616 per touch.

At the same rate, Jackson would need 482 touches to get to 314 points.  So Jackson would have to be a lot more productive and get a lot more looks to rank Top 3.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well that's some convoluted logic if I've ever seen it. You see, there was this crazy thing that happened last year without which we wouldn't even be having this conversation. A guy named Marc Bulger injured his shoulder, and StL had absolutely no one to replace him (they've added a solid backup QB this year). I'm not sure why you're blind to the fact that Jackson was putting up top 3 numbers until Bulger went down (with a 4.7ypc no less....higher than LTs), and took a huge dropoff after the great Jamie Martin and Ryan Fitzpatrick stepped in (at which point Jackson's ypc was a full yard less).The only real concern I see for Jackson is that he has shown a bit of a propensity to get knicked up. If he stays healthy than barring a QB debacle (Bulger and Frerotte going down) I think Jackson is going to provide great value for guys that are able to grab him anywhere near the end of the 1st round.

Pete Prisco Article

Circa 2005

ST. LOUIS -- For all the yardage and points the St. Louis Rams have put up during the Mike Martz era of offensive football, they've always been viewed as one of the softer teams in the league, a pretty point-machine that didn't have the toughness to pound the ball when it needed to do so.

When you finish a season ranked 29th in the league in rushing, which the Rams did in 2004, that's a hard reputation to shake.

That is about to change.

Martz still prefers the pass -- and for that he is to be saluted -- but there are 231 reasons why he's about to lean more about the power running game than at any time in his tenure with the team. That number 231 is the weight for starting running back Steven Jackson, who takes over in that role from veteran Marshall Faulk.

Faulk is on his way to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but he will get there with an amazing cutting ability and speed that allowed him to turn what should have been a 12-yard run into a 70-yard touchdown.

Jackson is all about power, which is something the Rams haven't had in their backfield since the Jerome Bettis days.

Finesse is about to go bye-bye.

"He brings the power," Rams receiver Torry Holt said. "He's a hard, tough back. He's like Eddie George with more speed and burst. He brings another air of toughness to our side of the ball."

Looking at Jackson, it's clear he's going to be a heck of a tough runner to tackle for opposing defenses. At 6-2, he is thick and looks even bigger than his listed height and weight. Thinking of him coming at you full speed isn't a soothing thought.

As a rookie last season, he showed the toughness to run inside, but he also showed the burst to rip off the long runs. Martz stuck with Faulk as his starter -- some said it was because he has a soft spot in his heart when it comes to Faulk -- but eventually Jackson became the starter before knee problems limited him late in the season.

Martz officially named him the starter in the spring -- Jackson learned about it while watching television from his home in Las Vegas -- but Jackson said the transition was made last season.

"The transition took place long before you guys knew it," Jackson said. "Look at the game last year. I was playing more than him toward the end of the season. The change happened before the announcement. You guys just didn't know it."

Taking over for a player of Faulk's status can be tough. Faulk has done so much for the Rams, helping them win a Super Bowl and getting to another. He was the type of back who would make defenses fearful of the big play every time he ran the ball.

Faulk has accepted the change with grace. He has been surly at times in his career, but so far he's been pleasant during this camp, according to Rams insiders. Change is inevitable, even for the great ones, and Faulk seems to understand it.

Jackson credits Faulk with helping him with the little things needed to play running back in the league.

"There's no hard feelings at all," Jackson said. "If anything, we're closer than we were last year. He helps me with the little things my young eyes don't see yet or understand. Sometimes, the coaches can be too technical. Marshall can act as a player and a coach. He's seen it and done it all. That helps."

Jackson played in 14 games last season, starting three, after being a first-round pick in the 2004 NFL Draft. Jackson ran for 673 yards on 134 carries for an eye-opening 5.0 average. He had five runs of 20 yards or longer and caught 19 passes.

Jackson's best game came in late December when he ran for 148 yards on 24 carries against the NFC champion Philadelphia Eagles. That's a 6.2 average -- a hint of what might come this season.

That game and one other were the only two in which Jackson carried 20 or more times. After he did it the first time, he sat out two games with the knee troubles. He said it was then that he heard questions about his durability.

"They have to say something, they have to pick at something," Jackson said. "I heard it a lot. But I know I can handle the carries. That's not an issue."

During camp he's been wearing a yellow jersey. The meaning behind it is that he and Faulk are both off-limits to the defensive players, a way to safeguard the team's top runners.

That hasn't limited all the contact, though. There have been instances where the defense has popped him a time or two and Jackson took exception to it. He was involved in a little shoving match with feisty safety Adam Archuleta during one practice.

"Steven can punish people," Martz said.

Seeing Martz's face light up when he talks about Jackson says tons about his player, particularly since he has such a strong tie to Faulk.

"He's on the verge of something special," Martz said of Jackson. "He's a power runner who has the quickness and the agility to make people miss."

Jackson played much of last season with a sore knee. He injured the knee at Oregon State in 2003, had surgery on it, but never was able to fully rehab it. He played through it for most of the year, but had clean-up surgery on it after the season.

"I never felt right," Jackson said. "Now it does."

That's not good news for the guys who will be trying to tackle him. Soft is no longer a word associated with the Rams running game.

"The running back sets the tempo for the offense," Jackson said. "If I'm out there banging on people, it lets the defense know it's time to get it on. Everything has to change. Everything needs a new beginning. They used to play power football with Eric Dickerson and Bettis with this franchise. It's time to go back to those days."

Shortly after saying that, Jackson got up off the window ledge he was filling as he sat for the interview to walk away. That's a big back, folks.

Good luck to all those tacklers who think the Rams are still a finesse team.

Put me in the category that Jackson is a Top 5 RB next year. He has it all, and I'm expecting him to put up a monster year.  I'm actually planning on drafting near the end of round 1 so that I can scoop him in round 2.

I think that Jackson is the type of player that can win a fantasy season for you.  He won't be drafted in the top 5, but has that potential.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1)SA2)LJ

3)LT

4)STEVEN JACKSON -- He is a big back, Will face poor D's, and is only 23

No way he has a drop off this year. He will be a top five back. The new system will be much more balanced, giving him every opportunity to succeed.  I think the only thing that will hold him back is his inability to keep from getting injured.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Injuries are his main concern. While I respect your opinion of him being a top 5 RB, I have to disagree..Bulger is still recovering from last year's injury, and the backup is who, Gus Frerotte who is SO good, he's on his 4th or 5th team already..a new offense is in town, and the HC did nothing but run RBBC everywhere he has coached..one thing about Linehan, he hasn't shown the ability to let one guy be the featured back, he always seems satisfied to delegate the carries..no RB he has coached has had more than 255 carries in a single season..Now,that could be the circumstances of what he had to work with in Minnesota. But, it follwed him to Miami last year, where the Dolphins split the carries nearly 50/50 between Williams and Brown..that is a bit disturbing in the sense that he might be inclined to continue this type of RBBC style in St Louis..for the most part,coaches don't change their styles..a WCO coach isn't going to change to a two TE base formation like Parcells uses, and vice versa..Norv Turner isn't going to use a WCO style, he prefers the Air-Coryell approach..now maybe the Rams don't have 35 rb's on the roster like the Vikings did, so perhaps Linehan could change to a 1 back set with SJax getting 300+ carries....

he is a terrific RB, definitely in the top 110 , for now..maybe he goes higher, maybe he works out to be a top 5 RB..in no way, IMO, is he in the same crowd with LJ,lt2,sa,portis, Edge...I can't see taking one of them and replacing him with Sjax..

if Norv Turner was coaching him, i'd have SJax in the top 3.

Users who are viewing this thread