What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers thread *** running it back in 2024 with 18 of 22 Super Bowl starters (8 Viewers)

Larry Kruegers observations:

49ers day #2 training camp recap:

-Purdy hasn’t lost any arm strength. He’s the week 1 starter in Pittsburgh

-Kinlaw looks like a new man

-Drake Jackson is coming on

-Aiyuk and Deebo are primed for HUGE breakout campaigns

-Khalan Laborn (pronounced lay-burn) is a legit NFL RB w/power and speed. SUPER EXCITING

-SF’s RB depth is unreal.

-Jaylon Moore and Ilm Manning look like solid OT prospects

-Womack is a player at CB

Interesting take here. Brandon Allen QB3?

Tim Kawakami:

An interesting QB thing:

49ers so far are keeping QB Brandon Allen's 3rd-team snaps consistent while splitting Lance/Darnold's reps, whether it's with the 1st string when Purdy's out, or 2nd string if Purdy's there.

Rarely see QB4 get so many consistent snaps. Definitely worth an early hmm.

Al Sacco response:

Absolutely and definitely something worth monitoring.

IMO Allen’s being evaluated to be QB3 and the loser of Lance/Darnold gets moved.

Doesn’t make sense for a QB4 to get as many reps as he has and spare me the team needs four QBs garbage

Larry Kruegers observations:

49ers day #2 training camp recap:

-Purdy hasn’t lost any arm strength. He’s the week 1 starter in Pittsburgh

-Kinlaw looks like a new man

-Drake Jackson is coming on

-Aiyuk and Deebo are primed for HUGE breakout campaigns

-Khalan Laborn (pronounced lay-burn) is a legit NFL RB w/power and speed. SUPER EXCITING

-SF’s RB depth is unreal.

-Jaylon Moore and Ilm Manning look like solid OT prospects

-Womack is a player at CB
Thanks for posting.

Love Deebo and Aiyuk, fantasy wise I'm not big on them. I think Shanahan plays matchup football and different guy steps up. Amazing for fans, meh for fantasy.

Tim Kawakami:

An interesting QB thing:

49ers so far are keeping QB Brandon Allen's 3rd-team snaps consistent while splitting Lance/Darnold's reps, whether it's w/1s when Purdy's out, or 2s if Purdy's there.

Al Sacco response:

IMO Allen’s being evaluated to be QB3 and the loser of Lance/Darnold gets moved.

Doesn’t make sense for a QB4 to get as many reps as he has and spare me the team needs four QBs garbage
The Kinlaw hype seems like typical training camp bluster. Haven't we heard this stuff about him before? I'd be a little surprised if he makes the team.

The QB speculation is interesting, but Darnold's $4.5m contract is guaranteed for $3.5 million and Lance is fully guaranteed so I'm not sure cutting one of those guys and going with Allen really saves a meaningful amount of money.

The Kinlaw hype seems like typical training camp bluster. Haven't we heard this stuff about him before? I'd be a little surprised if he makes the team.
I don't remember anything real positive about Kinlaw during camp outside of maybe his rookie year...this is the first time since then he's been fully healthy during camp, and everyone is saying how good he's looking.

I also read something about how he put in a ton of work during the 40 days away and it's showing at camp.

I say he absolutely makes the roster and if he stays healthy, has his best season yet (which isn't a very high bar).

I don't remember anything real positive about Kinlaw during camp outside of maybe his rookie year...this is the first time since then he's been fully healthy during camp, and everyone is saying how good he's looking.

I also read something about how he put in a ton of work during the 40 days away and it's showing at camp.

I say he absolutely makes the roster and if he stays healthy, has his best season yet (which isn't a very high bar).
This team is loaded and there are going to be some really tough roster decisions. Kinlaw will have to be impressive in camp and preseason because he's sucked out loud so far, and the team isn't contractually committed to him beyond this season any longer.

Camp day 3

Lombardi:

Brock Purdy's best throws today:

-A quick-release dart to McCaffrey that split Warner and Flannigan-Fowles

-A blitz-beater to Aiyuk released as Isaiah Oliver was bearing down on him

-An excellent, strong-armed 20-yard deep out to Deebo

-Crisp flat pass to CMC to set up YAC

Trey Lance's best throw of today was his only completion, an intermediate crosser to Tay Martin.

But the major concern for the 49ers remains Lance's wildly spotty short game. He threw one short attempt for Brayden Willis into the turf and another short throw behind Jordan Mason.

Lance's body language was not positive after either miss. We've seen similar inaccuracies sprinkled through warmups. He must be more consistent on those bread-and-butter throws to earn more of Shanahan's trust

Sam Darnold's best throws today:

-Money 20-yard delivery on a skinny post to Elijah Mitchell (nice play call from Shanahan)

-Crisp crosser to Jennings, who was well covered but made a 1-handed grab in stride near the end of practice

Darnold has seemed more settled by the day

Lombardi:

Brock Purdy already looked much sharper today. Finished 6-11; some impressive strikes downfield. Velocity good.

Sam Darnold 4-7; 2 of the best plays (one to Mitchell in seam, one to Jennings who made a great catch)

Trey Lance really struggled today. 1-4 and blew 2 gimmes

Matt Barrows:

Brock Purdy began to sharpen as practice went on today and he finished 6-12. Sam Darnold had some of the nicest throws for the second straight day.

Purdy 6-12
Darnold 3-6
Lance 2-5
Allen 1-4

Lombardi:

49ers QBs through the first stretch of training camp...

Day 1: 6-12
Day 2: 12-25
Day 3: 12-16

48% cumulative

Brock Purdy and Sam Darnold seem to both be ascending in play, so cumulative % should improve, but that's a simple illustration of upper hand that SF's defense has had

Akash Anavarathan @akashanav:

The writing on the wall is starting to become clear for the player who doesn't win the backup quarterback battle, especially given how many reps Brandon Allen has been given so far.

Just a matter of who that is and how it unfolds over the next month.

--------

Right now, it seems Darnold is beating Lance for QB2, but there's a lot of camp left.

Where there's smoke....

The vibes coming out of #49ers training camp right now is that Sam Darnold will be the team’s QB2 and Trey Lance will be QB3

Per Pro Football Talk
Via CrossFire NFL

Camp day 4 Twitter notes

The 49ers return to practice today. They’re not in pads, yet. This is a scheduled day off for Brock Purdy. Trey Lance, Sam Darnold and Brandon will take the QB snaps.

Brandon Aiyuk continues dominating at 49ers camp. He just caught 3 touchdown passes in one red-zone session alone

Ty Davis Price got 1st team reps in walthroughs

First 11 on 11 stats:

Trey Lance: 3/3, 1 TD(rush)
Sam Darnold: 3/4, 1 TD
Brandon Allen: 2/3, 1 TD

Frank Gore and Alex Smith watching practice:

Numbers are never the same lol

49ers QB update
Practice 4

Per Rohan:

Trey Lance: 4/7, 2 TD(1 rush)
Sam Darnold: 7/9, 3 TDs
Brandon Allen: 3/5, 1 TD

Per Maiocco:

Brock Purdy
Scheduled day off

Trey Lance
11-on-11 reps: 16 (12 w/ 1st team)
Passing: 5 of 8

Sam Darnold
11-on-11 reps: 16 (4 w/ 1st team)
Passing: 7 of 9

Brandon Allen
11-on-11 reps: 8
Passing: 4 of 5

Last edited:
Lombardi:

49ers QBs on Day 4, best day so far for the offense:

Sam Darnold: 8-10, 3 RZ TD
Trey Lance: 5-8, 1 RZ TD
Brandon Allen: 3-5, 1 RZ TD

Darnold was in command. Stepped to throw a TD strike to 11, then rolled out for another TD to 11 on the run.

Lance was better today than Friday. Good downfield PA delivery to Kittle to open, but he missed another short throw in the red zone (sailed to Deebo Samuel) that should've been an easy TD.

Allen's reps technically came with the threes, but the 49ers mixed first-team skills in there — hence the RZ TD to Aiyuk

Can the 49ers just pay Brandon Aiyuk now? He was dominant again today with 5 catches for 4 touchdowns, including 3 in the red zone and one on a crosser that he took to the house

Last edited:
Rohan C:

Don’t look how, but Drake Jackson’s making the strides we want to see at 49ers training camp...

Lombardi:

Drake Jackson delivered a wildly impressive defensive play today: He blanketed Elijah Mitchell stride-for-stride for 20 yards on a zone drop.

Mitchell might be the 49ers' fastest running back, but Jackson — even though he's bulked up to ~260 pounds — was right with him

Undrafted rookie watch:

Matt Barrows:

Brandon Aiyuk, when asked about the DBs: “22 – he’s out there balling, he’s out there working.”

No. 22 is undrafted rookie CB D’Shawn Jamison (Texas), who is following up a strong spring with a good training camp (thru just four practices, of course).

Last edited:
49ers put on pads Monday. That’ll bring fun 1-on-1 drills and eventually the team will start incorporating red-zone and move-the-ball periods into 11-on-11 work. That’s the meat of training camp — we’ve only really seen the warmup so far.

- Lombardi

Also question for you @Wingnut, I know it's early, but barring injury, do you also think Darnold will be QB2 and Lance QB3 as Pro Football Talk does?

I do. I thnk Shanahan loves Darnold, and has since college. He essentially got his 3rd overall pick QB, but had to take the long way, lol.

As much as I've been following Shanahan, camp, etc, I'm starting to think Shanahan might see Darnold as the long term starter. I can see SF riding Brock as far as he can take them, but if something happens to Brock, I can see Darnold taking the job and running with it, and Shanahan would look like the genius everyone is always telling him he is. 😄

Lombardi:

Sam Darnold looked more in command today than at any prior point in his 49ers tenure. 8-10 with those 3 TDs and no real mistakes.

Darnold stepped up in the pocket on a George Odum blitz to throw one TD strike and was very accurate on the run on another score. Excellent rapport with Aiyuk.

Shanahan is a big believer in Darnold's ability and the reason why is apparent. We'll see if Darnold's growing effectiveness carries over into padded practices

Lombardi:

Sam Darnold looked more in command today than at any prior point in his 49ers tenure. 8-10 with those 3 TDs and no real mistakes.

Darnold stepped up in the pocket on a George Odum blitz to throw one TD strike and was very accurate on the run on another score. Excellent rapport with Aiyuk.

Shanahan is a big believer in Darnold's ability and the reason why is apparent. We'll see if Darnold's growing effectiveness carries over into padded practices

So is Purdy the day 1 starter if healthy or is it an open competition through training camp? It seems at one point early in the off season it was Purdy's job if healthy but my gut tells me if it is an open competition, Darnold has a great chance of being the possible long term answer.

So is Purdy the day 1 starter if healthy or is it an open competition through training camp? It seems at one point early in the off season it was Purdy's job if healthy but my gut tells me if it is an open competition, Darnold has a great chance of being the possible long term answer.

Purdy is QB1 as long as he has no setbacks with his surgery between now and week 1. They won't say it yet because he's still in the recovery ramp up phase to 100%, so theres no guarantee. All signs point to him being ready for week 1 though.

The QB2 competition is reportedly between Darnold and Lance, although some think the loser of that battle could be moved before the season and Brandon Allen would be QB3. I'd be shocked if that happens.

So right now, the plan is Purdy to start week 1, but it won't be official until he clears the last marker in his rehab/recovery and is declared 100% and ready for the reg season.

Last edited:

What Shanahan said after Day 4:

Was that about as good a day for the passing game as you've had here?

"I mean there were some more open guys today. They had a couple of busted coverages and so there were some big ones you guys saw with that and they blitzed a little bit more, so when they blitzed people are open, but those balls, there's a lot of sacks there too. So, it was similar to the other three days. I'm very excited to get pads on tomorrow."

What have you learned about QB Sam Darnold through these opening practices?

"I mean pretty much everything we knew throughout OTAs. He is a very talented guy. Everyone has really liked working with him. I think the team's loved him. He's doing some good things out there and getting more and more comfortable each day."

When QB Brock Purdy goes two on, one off, does the off date just not count in that formula?

"Well no. He's supposed to take two days off, so that's why it's perfect for him. He gets the off day and then he gets the one off today and now he'll throw two days in a row."

So does he go two on, two off?

"For a certain amount of days then he flips one. I think we do that like six days from now. It's a thought-out plan. I don't have to memorize it because it's all on paper. But yeah, it is two off because he gets the off day and he never starts the low day."

What were your early impressions of Brock in practice?

"I think he's done great. He has come back. He's had no arm troubles. He's been totally healthy. I think he's getting all his timing back, his rhythm. I was really impressed with him in his two practices."

Was part of Brock's ability to come back quicker all of the preparation he does off the field?

"Yeah, Brock's just so detailed and committed in everything he does, so he didn't miss one day. Every rep that he takes to get better in his health, he is just deliberate in everything he does. How committed he was to doing that, to being here, to going down to Florida, to being in Arizona. If he was going to have a setback and something went wrong was the only way we felt he wasn't going to be ahead of schedule by what he does."

Kyle really likes Darnold

Kyle Shanahan suggests San Francisco 49ers may have signed 'next Steve Young'

The San Francisco 49ers signed former New York Jets and Carolina Panthers quarterback Sam Darnold this offseason and head coach Kyle Shanahan believes he has what it takes to emulate one of the franchise's all-time greats.

Throughout this offseason, the question has been asked as to who will be the man to step up should Purdy not be able to start the season. But after Shanahan’s latest comments regarding Darnold, it may be an indication of who he is leaning towards. “You look at the history of the league, the quarterback is not dependent on one person,” Shanahan told the San Francisco Chronicle.

“You’ve gotta have good players around you, you’ve gotta be in a good situation, and that’s always tough. I mean, Steve Young took a while to get going, and he’s one of the best quarterbacks of all time. I don’t like to compare anyone to Steve, cause of how good he is, but why can’t Sam be like that? He’s got that type of ability. He is that type of person. And I’m just pumped that we could get a talented guy like him here.”

First padded practice notes:

First one-on-one session is done: Watched OL/DL. Takeaways:

Javon Kinlaw lookin GOOD. Nearly/did win all of his reps, working inside and outside. Got pass-rush moves, speed and strength.

Alex Barrett just mauls people in 1s.

-----

For the first time, Sam Darnold has surpassed Trey Lance in getting the first reps with the 2nd team.

-----

It didn’t take long into the first padded practice for the 49ers to break into their first fight of training camp. It was a big melee that carried from one practice field to the next and it was very hard to make out the primary belligerents in the mess

-----

Clelin Ferrell didn’t win a single rep in 1s. Doesn’t look that great with his pass-rushing moves.

Spencer Burford also struggled, although he went up against Arik Armstead twice.

-----

Drake Jackson showcased his strength and speed in 1-on-1s.

Bull-rushed for a win, which surprised me, while doing a spin move for another.

Good start to camp for him, and the big test starts now.

Camp day 5 QB notes

Brock Purdy had a rough 2-throw stretch — bad underthrow of Woerner followed by a floating INT to Dre Greenlaw — but was otherwise accurate. He even had a stretch of 8 straight completions to finish 12-of-16.

There was hold-your-breath moment late in practice when Clelin Ferrell knocked the ball out of Purdy’s arm, but his elbow held up fine

Brock Purdy
11-on-11 reps (all w/ the 1st team): 27
Passing: 12 of 16, 1 INT

Trey Lance
11-on-11 reps: 18
Passing: 9 of 11

Sam Darnold
11-on-11 reps: 18
Passing: 7 of 9

Brandon Allen
11-on-11 reps: 7

That might’ve been Trey Lance’s best practice with the 49ers — of all 3 training camps. He finished 9-of-11; accuracy was on point. Perfect pass to Tay Martin through tight coverage to finish the session and set up a field goal in move-the-ball (which was introduced with pads)

Meanwhile, Sam Darnold remains sharp at practice: 7-of-9 today. He got Ronnie Bell involved with consecutive catches after we hadn’t heard from the rookie WR in a while.

All three of the 49ers’ top QBs executed a handful of positive plays today. That’s what SF wants to see while trying to build a robust, deep quarterback room

I've been hoping Purdy has been working on this.

"One of the areas Purdy needed to address this offseason was stepping up in the pocket. Too often during his rookie season Purdy would bounce out the back of the pocket to his left when faced with pressure.

In the first live padded practice of camp, Purdy stepped up into the pocket several times for completions. The best came when he stepped forward and found Christian McCaffrey down the left seam for a long touchdown. Later during a move the ball period, Purdy again moved forward and found Deebo Samuel on a shallow crosser to convert a third and five situation."

I see Lance as QB3, but I'm shocked at the even mention of possibly cutting Lance by someone as connected as Mike Silver. https://twitter.com/BontaHill/status/1686217873717604353?s=20

What do you see as chance Lance could be cut?
They get no cap relief for cutting him and they are keeping 3 QBs after last year’s fiasco, so the only reason they’d do that if they legit think Brandon Allen is a better QB right now than Lance. I think that’s unlikely but if it happens, that’s a pretty bad sign for Lance’s career.

I see Lance as QB3, but I'm shocked at the even mention of possibly cutting Lance by someone as connected as Mike Silver. https://twitter.com/BontaHill/status/1686217873717604353?s=20

What do you see as chance Lance could be cut?
Silver isn't the only one who has suggested Allen could be QB3 and loser of Lance/Darnold gets cut/traded

Tim Kawakami:

An interesting QB thing:

49ers so far are keeping QB Brandon Allen's 3rd-team snaps consistent while splitting Lance/Darnold's reps, whether it's with the 1st string when Purdy's out, or 2nd string if Purdy's there.

Al Sacco response:

I see zero chance cutting Lance. They could keep all 4 QBs.

Brock Purdy was perfect on intermediate routes today, especially in the red zone. Looks comfortable — one blemish was a McCrary-Ball dropped INT that came after a nice escape on a scramble drill. 8-10

Trey Lance missed two more short throws — remains his glaring weakness. Lance continued to be good on the intermediates, though, and he’s still looking fast. 4-6

Sam Darnold might’ve had his worst practice — a couple of dangerous short throws went incomplete in the red zone. 2-6

Brandon Allen was exceptionally sharp to the sideline. 4-4

49ers QB update
Practice 6

Brock Purdy
11-on-11 reps (all w/ the 1st team): 19
Passing: 8 of 10

Trey Lance
11-on-11 reps: 12
Passing: 4 of 6

Sam Darnold
11-on-11 reps: 11
Passing: 2 of 6

Brandon Allen
11-on-11 reps: 9
Passing: 5 of 5

Kicker update

Jake Moody ended practice by drilling a 60-yard FG — dead, solid perfect.

He was 5 of 6 with makes from 33, 38, 48, 53 and 60. He missed from 43.

I'd TDP takes a step, our RB room is gonna be pretty sick.

Anthony Lynn has been very impressed with 49ers RB Ty Davis-Price. He’s cut fat yet managed to increase weight to about 228 pounds. Expect some really fast, physical running this season from the second-year back. We’ve already seen that at camp

A year ago, Ty Davis-Price arrived at 214 pounds. This year he’s around 230, his weight at LSU. As a result, he’s more comfortable, confident and seems poised for a second-year leap.

Purdy appears to have taken the next step in his recovery ahead of schedule:

@LombardiHimself:

The 49ers have been very encouraged by the fact that Brock Purdy has only felt a standard amount of arm soreness after practices and it appears that his practice schedule has ramped up. Purdy is back out here today after only one day of rest as opposed to the previous two days. This is the cadence that SF hoped to hit by next week, based on what Kyle Shanahan previously said

https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/1687162770499026944?t=VFEzbMnYZNFg9tONcnR4ZA&s=19

I'd TDP takes a step, our RB room is gonna be pretty sick.

Anthony Lynn has been very impressed with 49ers RB Ty Davis-Price. He’s cut fat yet managed to increase weight to about 228 pounds. Expect some really fast, physical running this season from the second-year back. We’ve already seen that at camp

A year ago, Ty Davis-Price arrived at 214 pounds. This year he’s around 230, his weight at LSU. As a result, he’s more comfortable, confident and seems poised for a second-year leap.

Both lottery tickets but between Mason and TDP which one do you prefer for fantasy?

Users who are viewing this thread