What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saturday NFL games? (1 Viewer)

Can the Thursday games, move them to Saturday.  Add a 2nd game to make it a doubleheader.

Makes too much sense, so they will never do it, plus it sets the precedent that both the league and players already know but won't admit: Thursday games are a terrible idea.
This does make sense.  I would personally like to have a Thurs game still.... why not?  But with travel and hotels and everything going on, it could be a smart idea.  3 Sat, 11 Sun, 2 Mon.

Can the Thursday games, move them to Saturday.  Add a 2nd game to make it a doubleheader.

Makes too much sense, so they will never do it, plus it sets the precedent that both the league and players already know but won't admit: Thursday games are a terrible idea.
If the league is trying to establish the biggest footprint and audience they can, vacating Thursday games would not make a lot of sense. If they could get big TV numbers playing on Th, Sat, Sun, Mon at multiple time slots, I doubt they will punt TNF. 

(This of course assumes the league can function pretty close to normal in the midst of a pandemic, which is far from a sure thing).

The NFL so far has approached it as they don't run on CFB time and they would have the draft the same as normal. However, now that CFB is moving to spring (for now), the NFL will have more to actually mull over. It remains to be seen if anything substantial will change by spring . . . the virus has been around in the US for 5-6 months so far and we are far from being back to normal. I am hopeful things will be to a point where they could have spring CFB . . . but I am not sure a ton will change by then (MAYBE they release a vaccine by then, it gets mass distributed, and it works?).
I think the NFL could push it back a bit.  If you ran with the Feb 27-May 1st 9 game conference-only schedule, you could run playoffs during May and have the draft mid may.  Only a couple weeks late, and all but the title game could be completed by then.

I think the NFL could push it back a bit.  If you ran with the Feb 27-May 1st 9 game conference-only schedule, you could run playoffs during May and have the draft mid may.  Only a couple weeks late, and all but the title game could be completed by then.
I have already heard discussions on how advisable it is for top NFL prospects to suit up in the spring. Many may just opt out and not risk getting hurt (or COVID). But that is now a long way away to have to worry about.

Normally I would agree with the over-saturation comments, but reality is a lot of (responsible) people are going to have not a lot to do once the weather turns.

Now to sound like an insane person:  try listening to NFL games on the radio.  That way you can be busy with something else while still keeping tabs on the goings on.  Plus the Westwood One announcers are generally way better than the TV voices.

Normally I would agree with the over-saturation comments, but reality is a lot of (responsible) people are going to have not a lot to do once the weather turns.

Now to sound like an insane person:  try listening to NFL games on the radio.  That way you can be busy with something else while still keeping tabs on the goings on.  Plus the Westwood One announcers are generally way better than the TV voices.
I generally stream ESPN's Fantasy Focus during the Sunday 1:00 games.  That's prime daylight for all my outdoor chores, so I like being active during that time slot.

Why are you here? All you do is talk about how terrible football is in all of your posts. Weird.
If you want to be the one to message @joebryant and tell him you want one of his loyal, paying customers gone, be my guest.  

I like football and football discussions. Just because it doesn't agree with your take doesn't mean that I should leave or be tossed out. I mean, I get it, there's a lot of that type of thinking in this country these days but, to be honest I expected more from you. It's disappointing. 

To answer more specifically, however, I don't think I said anything that many, many people haven't said over and over again.  A very large number of people have said that TNF is bad for players, bad for FF, bad for lots of things. The discussion of the Red Zone being popular and WHY it is has been covered thoroughly. It is no secret that even people who don't play FF or gamble and just want to "watch their team" have, for many years, been down on the amount and timing of the commercials during games, etc.  

Like I said, just my opinion. I happen to know its shared among others but the idea that other members of the forums would rather tell someone to leave vs. just simply have a discussion with them (or choose not to talk to them at all) is disappointing. You could do better. 

Just because it doesn't agree with your take doesn't mean that I should leave or be tossed out. I mean, I get it, there's a lot of that type of thinking in this country these days but, to be honest I expected more from you. It's disappointing. 
That’s not even close to what I said.

I was asking why you’d be on a site so often to talk about a sport you don’t seem to like? Most of your posts talk about how terrible the game is. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch all those Sunday games?   Come on...all those commercial infested games and half of them are garbage matchups that require gambling implications to pull people in.  All Saturday does is take away from the Red Zone and spreads the product thin, IMO. 
I actually think the league would be smart to spread out the games and have two games scheduled for all the primetime slots this year(and perhaps beyond). If you look at the last minute cancellations in baseball not having a backup game to switch to on Monday Night is going to be a big deal for the networks. If all four teams are healthy and the game is played then you still have a backup if one of them is a blowout. People will always complain about which matchup is being broadcast locally but in this day and age you can stream any game if you really want to(even if you have to jump through layers of VPN nonsense to do it).

I may be in the minority but I've never liked all those early games on Sunday at the same time.

The THU game is both a health/safety issue for the players and quality issue for the league so count me in with the people that would like to see that game moved to SAT night if at all possible. That's whether there was a college season or not imo. 

I actually think the league would be smart to spread out the games and have two games scheduled for all the primetime slots this year(and perhaps beyond). If you look at the last minute cancellations in baseball not having a backup game to switch to on Monday Night is going to be a big deal for the networks. If all four teams are healthy and the game is played then you still have a backup if one of them is a blowout. People will always complain about which matchup is being broadcast locally but in this day and age you can stream any game if you really want to(even if you have to jump through layers of VPN nonsense to do it).

I may be in the minority but I've never liked all those early games on Sunday at the same time.

The THU game is both a health/safety issue for the players and quality issue for the league so count me in with the people that would like to see that game moved to SAT night if at all possible. That's whether there was a college season or not imo. 
Good point/thought about the TNF.  Maybe if they moved that game FROM Thursday to Saturday, that would seem more palatable and might be a nice working, actually.  

This does make sense.  I would personally like to have a Thurs game still.... why not?  But with travel and hotels and everything going on, it could be a smart idea.  3 Sat, 11 Sun, 2 Mon.
Only issue with canning the THU games altogether is that there is a lot of $ to be made on the Thursday games by bettors (not to mention by the NFL).     If you would have simply bet the UNDER on every Thur game the last 7 years, you'd have cleaned up.      These games typically suck, with lackluster performances, turnovers, etc.     Easy money.

Only issue with canning the THU games altogether is that there is a lot of $ to be made on the Thursday games by bettors (not to mention by the NFL).     If you would have simply bet the UNDER on every Thur game the last 7 years, you'd have cleaned up.      These games typically suck, with lackluster performances, turnovers, etc.     Easy money.
I can't speak to 7 years, but here's the results from 2015-2018:

"The overall total has gone 35-37"

https://www.ridethehothand.com/100-nfl-thursday-night-football-facts-and-stats/

Users who are viewing this thread