Link to articleHere's a link to his Myspace page.Posted on Wed, Apr. 12, 2006
Misconduct charges surface in Taylor case
MIAMI - The trial of Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor on assault charges was delayed again Wednesday as defense lawyers raised misconduct allegations, charging the lead prosecutor with using the case to promote his moonlighting work as a nightclub disc jockey.
Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Mary Barzee agreed to delay the trial for a sixth time, this time from Monday until May 8. Taylor faces a minimum of three years in prison on each of three aggravated assault charges stemming from a June 1 armed confrontation in a Miami neighborhood.
Taylor's attorney, Richard Sharpstein, said outside the courtroom that he will file a motion this week seeking to dismiss the charges because of alleged "inappropriate and unethical" prosecutorial conduct by Michael Grieco, the assistant state attorney handling the case.
Sharpstein said Grieco had improperly posted news articles about the Taylor case on a Web site that promotes his side business as a DJ in Miami Beach clubs. Although the articles could not be found on the site Wednesday, Sharpstein provided copies to reporters as well as the page - titled "links to my press coverage" - showing where the link had been located.
Grieco did not immediately respond to telephone and e-mail messages seeking comment. A spokesman for Miami-Dade County State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle, who is Grieco's boss, also did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
Taylor is charged with three counts of aggravated assault with a firearm and one misdemeanor battery charge stemming from a dispute with a group of people over all-terrain vehicles that Taylor owns. Taylor, a former University of Miami star, is free on $16,500 bail.
Taylor has refused a plea deal in which he would receive probation in return for a guilty plea to a felony, Sharpstein said.