What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SECOND HALF STUDS....due to changing situations. (1 Viewer)

kencav

Footballguy
This is not a buy low thread, or a rebound thread "because they have to". I wanted to start this thread to analyze players that due to a change in circumstances on their respective teams will realize their potential or improve their play drastically. These may be players on our own team or players we want to target in potential trades.

I will start......

ZACK ERTZ TE PHI- A preseason break out candidate who has disappointed fantasy owners the first half of the season. Chip Kelly's wide open offense and a strong finish last year provided much promise to 2014. The problem has been, as I see it, numerous injuries along the offensive line that have affected protection for Nick Foles and running lanes for McCoy. This in turn has diminished Ertz first half value as he is an inferior blocker to Brett Celek. Still, watching this guy in the open field you know what he is capable of with more snaps.

The second half promises a change as the Eagles O-Line is getting healthy. Lane Johnson returned and McCoy had his best game of the season. 2 more starting lineman will be returning shortly and the team will not be as dependent on tight ends staying in to block. I expect a resurgence for Ertz in the second half as the Eagles come out of their bye due to these changing circumstances along the line.

Next?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll stay in the TE position and cast my vote for:

Jason Witten: the Cowboys have been limiting Romo's ability to make mistakes by force-feeding Demarco Murray to the tune of an absurd 180 touches through six games. Uh, that's on track for 480 touches for the season, and that is not gonna happen. Romo will go back to tossing the rock a bit more, and it will be to the tune of short, safe passes. Enter Jason Witten. Also note the lack of shootouts the Cowboys have had...they are 5-1 and have played with the lead a lot more than anyone expected. Things balance out, and there will be plenty of games where the Cowboys will need to toss the ball more to keep up.

Witten is at the top of my buy-low list of the TE position.

Davante Adams. - He's the forgotten man in Green Bay's offense. They obviously force feed Jordy and Cobb is next but the Packers are hitting their groove and have weak TE receiving weapons. He's shown polish and poise and his snap counts have increased every week.

Spiller and Harvin. Both hit rock bottom last Sunday. Some owners even waived them for the flavor of the week FA pickup. But these are still two of the most explosive players in the league that are both being misused by their respective coaching staffs. I think that will change in the second half of the season. I agree with the Witten pick as well.

All good calls and good thoughts behind them.

..except the Harvin and Spiller that was added as I was typing. Those ships have sailed and have run into one another in the fog of night.

Branden Oliver.

Mathews can't stay healthy and isn't as dynamic as this kid. No chance he gets his starting gig back.

Not sure if this will meet the definition of "stud" as I'm not prognosticating anyone jumping into the top 1-5 in any position (unless you're predicting an injury to Murray or Charles and see their handcuffs leap into the role), but below are some guys with slow starts who I see as making the leap to legit starters in the second half.

QB: Ryan Tannehill - New offenses take time to master. Lazor's offense has shown flashes of promise to date but I expect those flashes to become more consistent as the season goes on. The emergence of Landry and Tannehill's continued improvement within the system should spell good things for the QB. I'd predict a QB9-QB12 performance during the second half of the season.

RB: Bishop Sankey - Again, not predicting top 5, but the situation is right in Tennessee for Sankey to become a startable RB2 the second half. Also working through offensive system kinks, but Sankey has proven himself to be the best option at RB. When Greene returns, he'll spell Sankey going forward. The O-line will get better, not worse.

WR: Vincent Jackson - He's actually been startable to date, but this is the guy I think will make the biggest leap forward and can see him as a Top 10 WR in the second half. I generally feel things will get better for TB as the season goes on (mainly because I believe Lovie is a solid coach), but Jackson is also a guy who can still benefit even if the TB defense keeps tanking. He's seeing the targets. Those targets will translate to better numbers. Or so I believe...

All good calls and good thoughts behind them.

..except the Harvin and Spiller that was added as I was typing. Those ships have sailed and have run into one another in the fog of night.
I disagree on the Harvin side. Spiller is a free agent and is likely gone from Buffalo but Harvin was paid to be in Seattle and it's the same staff there that brought him in. They're 3-2 and not using their top 2 weapons enough and I think they get this figured out.

Spiller is going to continue to be misused until he has a new team and/or a new coaching staff. We have a year-and-a-half of evidence for that now.

It's harder to tell what's going on with Harvin since he barely played in his first year in Seattle. I wouldn't be surprised if there are major changes to the offense after the Dallas upset, with Harvin's use being one of them.

Cord Patterson [joke]

Hoping it's McKinnon, Vereen and Holmes being the owner of all 3. Like McKinnon the most out of the 3 as he's seemingly taken over in that backfield.

I'm not sold on McKinnon for two reasons. First it was stated this week that they want to give him less work. Secondly I fear the rookie wall with him.

Spiller is going to continue to be misused until he has a new team and/or a new coaching staff. We have a year-and-a-half of evidence for that now.

It's harder to tell what's going on with Harvin since he barely played in his first year in Seattle. I wouldn't be surprised if there are major changes to the offense after the Dallas upset, with Harvin's use being one of them.
Well, I traded him away this week so I can almost guarantee he's going to increase usage.

Pretty obvious here, but Lamar Miller should be a borderline RB1 with Moreno out of his way. Whether you like the player or not, Miami can run the ball, Miller is getting goal line and passing down work, and he's gotten the job done on the ground.

Brandon Cooks WR New Orleans

With Graham possiblly out for 2-3 weeks, Cooks should see his targets increase. He should get some more work with Ingram in the lineup in regards to the running game.

Colston may get more opps as well

Davante Adams. - He's the forgotten man in Green Bay's offense. They obviously force feed Jordy and Cobb is next but the Packers are hitting their groove and have weak TE receiving weapons. He's shown polish and poise and his snap counts have increased every week.
Bloom is calling for a breakout performance this week against the Panthers.

Seattle passing attack!!!

B: Russell Wilson has been playing well but I think he will take it up another level as the season progresses. I think he ends the season behind Manning and Luck as the top 3 QB in fantasy. He lost last week for me but the good news is that Seattle lost at home, what would be scary is if they won when he put up bad fantasy numbers. Alongside Wilson I think Percy Harvin will return to dominant form before the end of the season. I see the rest of the goodies getting so spread around it doesn't matter for fantasy.

3 factors I see at play:

1. The coaching staff will put in new plays for Wilson to spread it out like they did when Lynch was out during preseason. I'm hoping that Dallas showed the coaching staff that an average NFL D can stuff their run game and make their misdirection package look silly. A nice mix of some Percy Harvin magic and an old fashioned downfield passing attack could help open up the other parts of their game.

2. Their defense is still good but its no longer dominant. As a long time Ravens fan I know that historically dominant defenses can only last a season or two until the football gods frown on their awesomeness. What else besides supernatural forces could turn Richard Sherman from a super-elite DB into a guide for lost WR's trying to find their way to the endzone? Seattle will need more points on offense to make up the difference.

3. I have a lot of confidence in Wilson as a QB, Harvin as a weapon, and Seattle as an organization to meet these challenges. These coaches will figure it out and it's going to mean big things for Wilson and Harvin.

agree on this but I would say emerging not forgotten.

Would not surprise me to see Beckham become the best performing rookie WR going forward... this coming from someone that drafted Benjamin and Cooks pretty high.

chinawildman said:
Would not surprise me to see Beckham become the best performing rookie WR going forward... this coming from someone that drafted Benjamin and Cooks pretty high.
I agree. He looked good and is in the offense for it. Real curious how the post-Cruz Giants offense will shape out.

Also, kind of obvious, but Gronk should be TE1 rest of season. Try to pry him away from owner now before he gets untradable.

I really like Lamar Miller and think he should get a chance to be the guy, but are we really that confident he will get a bunch of touches now? Moreno has already missed some games and Lamar still hasn't had a 20 touch game if the stats I am looking at are right. If I had to guess I would think he has a nice shot at finishing in the RB8-15 range at the end of the season, but I don't think we are going to see a bunch of 22-25 touch games going forward. Seems like the main effect of Moreno being gone is that he will be the lead guy and we should not have to worry about any silly coaching moves where he looks really good one week and gets 8 touches the next week.

[PPR]

RB: Ingram

Just love what I've seen from him this year. Have to deal with rotation of Payton which keeps him at RB2 in all likelihood but haven't seen a RB that's looked better running the football this year dating back to preseason. Great vision, power and playing a lot faster.

WR: E.Sanders, Cooks. Honorable Mentions: Adams, Holmes. Gordon

Sanders & Cooks both on pace for over 100 grabs. Sanders is already a PPR WR1. Cooks it wouldn't surprise at all if he were a PPR WR1 in 2nd half. Adams already producing as the Packs WR3. Arguably the highest upside ''backup'' WR in the NFL for fantasy purposes. Holmes will continue to produce as long as Carr is back there. He's the clear WR1 for the Raiders. When the Raiders are smart enough to play him.....he produces.

TE: Gronk

Easy call here. Had a TD called back by holding call vs. Buf or would have had an even bigger day. Hope you were able to buy low.

chinawildman said:
I agree. He looked good and is in the offense for it. Real curious how the post-Cruz Giants offense will shape out.

Also, kind of obvious, but Gronk should be TE1 rest of season. Try to pry him away from owner now before he gets untradable.
It's so easy!! says hello.

ImTheScientist said:
Lamar Miller.

He will end the season as a top 5 option.
Man, I hope you're right!

Put me on the Debbie Downer list with respect to Percy Harvin... just feel like it would have "happened" before week 7 (if it was going to happen at all). I think he'll still have a handful of WOW plays, but no consistency.

Second half studs? I'll stick with the guys that should already be there; Calvin Johnson, Jamaal Charles, Dez Bryant, and I have to think LeSean McCoy will soon remind everyone why they burned a top-3 pick on him.

Also believe we haven't seen the best from Kelvin Benjamin, Brandin Cooks, and/or Sammy Watkins yet.

chinawildman said:

It's so easy!! says hello.
:whoosh:

Great thread and good job supporting the names being thrown out. :thumbup:

WR Dez Bryant for same reasons listed above for Witten. Cowboys won't be leading all the time like they have been. Terrance Williams TD pace can't be sustained, and same goes for Murray's usage. Bryant has been really good, but a couple of monster outings are on the horizon. Also realize that the NFC East secondaries can be feasted on, and this weekend is the first division game for Dallas.

TE Jordan Cameron - Think he just wasn't healthy. They like to run and are spreading it a bit in the passing game, but Cameron remains best option in passing game until Gordon comes back. Already has several long receptions this year.

QB Cam - Adding back in 5-10 rushes per game is huge for his value. No consistent running backs to take touches. Olsen playing at a career high level, and Benjamin beasting. Lovely home division games against NO, Atl, and TB still on the schedule. Plus Car DST seems way off versus last year.

RB - Lynch - Top 10 RB despite being past the bye and not being used as much as last year. 3-2 record for Seattle probably the best thing to happen to his value. Beastmode looks as good as ever and will be fed more going forward.

A lot of TEs have been mentioned already but I'll add one more: Travis Kelce, TE KCC. For him, the situation that should change is simply being on the field for more snaps, which will lead to more targets, which will lead to more studliness.

Great thread and good job supporting the names being thrown out. :thumbup:

WR Dez Bryant for same reasons listed above for Witten. Cowboys won't be leading all the time like they have been. Terrance Williams TD pace can't be sustained, and same goes for Murray's usage. Bryant has been really good, but a couple of monster outings are on the horizon. Also realize that the NFC East secondaries can be feasted on, and this weekend is the first division game for Dallas.

TE Jordan Cameron - Think he just wasn't healthy. They like to run and are spreading it a bit in the passing game, but Cameron remains best option in passing game until Gordon comes back. Already has several long receptions this year.

QB Cam - Adding back in 5-10 rushes per game is huge for his value. No consistent running backs to take touches. Olsen playing at a career high level, and Benjamin beasting. Lovely home division games against NO, Atl, and TB still on the schedule. Plus Car DST seems way off versus last year.

RB - Lynch - Top 10 RB despite being past the bye and not being used as much as last year. 3-2 record for Seattle probably the best thing to happen to his value. Beastmode looks as good as ever and will be fed more going forward.
Cam is a good call. If he starts running again I think he's a top 5 guy. I also think Carr might end up being a solid QBBC guy.

munygon2 said:
Sabertooth said:
Bloom is calling for a breakout performance this week against the Panthers.
I hope so, I've added him in all 3 of my leagues. He's trending the right way in a good offense and if one of the two get injured he's a top 10 wr.

I really like Crowell and have him in 2 of my leagues and trying like heck to get him in the last one. Great run offense, jumped to #2 in the pecking order and runs really well on limited touches. I could see his role continuing to increase so long as he doesn't continue the fumbling issues. If Tate gets dinged, look out!

Gronk is also a guy that started slow due to rust/snap count but has gotten better week by week...he should be full beast mode the 2nd half.

Beckham is a guy I like a lot too...he's got talent and now he has the opportunity with a great passing schedule. The long injury kept him well under the radar but he may end up having a Keenan Allen type 2nd half.

Lamar Miller...the stars seem to be aligning for a good 2nd half

Guys I am hoping for:

Crowell - He's running very well, fumbles are overblown by many, CLE runs a lot and runs in the red zone a lot, Tate gets injured

Ingram - ran like a man possessed pre season and first two games

Gronk - he's been good, but not great or dominant...I expect that to change as he is healthy, O-line is sorted out, Brady improves

Russell - DEF isn't what it was last year, offense is going to have to do more

I hesitate to say Oliver because Mathews will be back, sure Oliver should still have value, but I don't know about 'stud' value

Don't have but want

Cam - healthy he is a one man wrecking crew

Something to keep in mind re: Sea D "not what they were". Consider the teams they have played..GB, Den, Dal, SD, (and Wash).

I tend to agree they may not be quite as stout.. but they played some top tier offenses.

Andre Johnson

Deandre Hopkins was obviously pissed last week when he received 1 target the whole game. He gave up by the end of the 3rd quarter. That could get him more attention or it could put him in the doghouse.

My money is on Andre Johnson becoming dominant again and Hopkins fading into the background.

J-O-N-A-T-H-A-N F*ING S-T-E-W-A-R-T :football:

Cam's healthy and running, Tolbert out till at least week 13, DW out another several weeks. Stew can catch very well out of the backfield, is an athletic freak (if it's not all been sapped by injuries), and last time he was the last man standing (and fully healthy) he carried teams to titles.

I'll point out the OL was VASTLY superior last time, but lord help me, I still believe. :bag:

:drive:

Cam's healthy and running, Tolbert out till at least week 13, DW out another several weeks. Stew can catch very well out of the backfield, is an athletic freak (if it's not all been sapped by injuries), and last time he was the last man standing (and fully healthy) he carried teams to titles.

I'll point out the OL was VASTLY superior last time, but lord help me, I still believe. :bag:

I really hope you are right... Counting on him this week.

Not to speak for the OP, but while there's some really great thoughts in this thread, a lot of them seem to be more "they'll get better" in nature rather than "this change of circumstance will impact this guy thusly".

Frankly, I'm just as interested in talking about the changes of circumstance themselves (and then debating which players would be impacted positively/negatively).

Philly's O-line return (potential return) is a change in circumstance.

Oakland has a new coach.

Washington will (likely) have RG3 back under center for the second half of the season.

Cleveland lost a key member of a dominant O-line with Mack going out. How much will that affect Tate/Crowell? Also in Cleveland, when Josh Gordon returns, how will it impact Hoyer / RBs / other WRs / Cameron?

Several teams are adapting to new offensive systems. Will we see significant changes with the Giants or Dolphins or Texans in the second half of the season (and that's just three of the teams with new offensive systems).

For Washington, is there a chance Gruden starts shifting more touches to Helu? Note the performances of Gio/BJGE last year in Cincy. Helu/Morris isn't the same combination, but the player roles aren't too different (aspects of the audience best suited to each player). Could Helu be a second-half surprise if Gruden decides to start changing things up? Nobody is talking about him, but his per-touch productivity is worth examining (as long as it's not measured against Antone Smith).

Granted, some of the above "circumstance changes" are more dramatic than others (losing a player to injury or a key guy like RG3 or Josh Gordon returning to the line-up), but I think a team gradually finding its way in a new offensive system deserves consideration (consider NYG today versus a month ago for a stark example).

Thoughts?

The opportunity and talent are there. I hope the body holds up long enough to seize it.

The opportunity and talent are there. I hope the body holds up long enough to seize it.
Smells like 2010 in here.

Sabertooth said:
I'm not sold on McKinnon for two reasons. First it was stated this week that they want to give him less work. Secondly I fear the rookie wall with him.
On your first point, I read he is still supposed to be the starter so we shall see how the carries break down, but Asiata got 2 carries last week. I think everyone expects him to get more than 2 carries a game going forward, 4-8 seems appropriate which would be an increase so his comments on getting him more carries is not super scary, but the breakdown this week is key to watch.

On your 2nd point, McKinnon has 41 carries so far with 9 games to go till week 16 (with a bye rest week to come). So if he averages 20 carries from here on out (which is his ceiling most likely as 15 seems more likely) he will still only have a pace for 221 carries. He had 269 carries in 2012. I don't think the rookie wall will be an issue here. :shrug: I could buy that argument if he had started from day one.

I think he has a legit shot to be a stud for weeks 8-16 provided he remains the starter from here on out.

Never been a fan of Stewarts, but I am a fan of the opportunity and lack of competition.

Garçon if/when RG3 comes back. Those 2 had great chemistry. Sure djax and reed will get theirs but I doubt you see two games in a row of 3 grabs for under 30 yards. Have actually seen him dropped in shallow bench leagues.

I used the bag over the head...

Charles Sims - Won't be a bellcow but think that Rainey's fumbling and Martin's underwhelmingness will open the door for some late season heroics.

Rashad Jennings - Forgotten but A. Williams struggles in the passing game both as a blocker and catcher.

Users who are viewing this thread