What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Severe Threats No One Talks About (2 Viewers)

The overmedication of Americans. 10% of all Americans take mood altering antidepressants (+/- 31 million people) and 70% of Americans take at least one form of prescription medication.

Pillbillies aren't exactly known for making the best decisions. What happens when they become the majority of the nation?

Supervolcano!
Yellowstone Caldera is going to mess us up good when it goes.
It would destroy 2/3's of the US and cause mass famine across the entire world.

It erupts every 600,000 to 800,000 years.

The last eruption was 640,000 years ago.

AND NO ONE TALKS ABOUT IT!!
Heard that if it went, this was going to be more on the level of Mt. Saint Helens. But that is a story for another thread.

I read somewhere that if those sinkholes that keep appearing in Siberia really are caused by earth farts, then we're ####ed.
Was it back here? ;)

I think there was a solar flare 2 weeks ago that almost knocked out 90% of global communication or something. Could be a problem.
On Bill Maher, Neil Degrasse Tyson pooh poohed this as sensationalism. The flare went through a space where the Earth would have been if it had been on the opposite side of the Sun at the time.

So, not quite "almost knocked out" but maybe statistically interesting.

I think there was a solar flare 2 weeks ago that almost knocked out 90% of global communication or something. Could be a problem.
On Bill Maher, Neil Degrasse Tyson pooh poohed this as sensationalism. The flare went through a space where the Earth would have been if it had been on the opposite side of the Sun at the time.

If a big enough flare hits the Earth it could quite literally destroy the entire planets power grid. And it would take out everything plugged into said grid. Every computer, every TV, every medical device, everything. Now that would be a huge flare but it is thought that this has happened many times in Earth's past and there is no reason to think it won't again. Only difference is those other times there was no infrastructure. As far as we know.

If a big enough flare hits the Earth it could quite literally destroy the entire planets power grid. And it would take out everything plugged into said grid. Every computer, every TV, every medical device, everything. Now that would be a huge flare but it is thought that this has happened many times in Earth's past and there is no reason to think it won't again. Only difference is those other times there was no infrastructure. As far as we know.
I understand that and I'm pretty sure NDT does as well. His point was that it didn't "almost" hit us.

I understand that and I'm pretty sure NDT does as well. His point was that it didn't "almost" hit us.
If it does happen, Ill still be able to access the FFA though, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember the Earth's crust is sitting on a liquid foundation. Theoretically the crust could lose it's grip and spin independently of the core of the planet. That would be pretty ugly.
Yet another reason for leagalized marijuana.

I think NDT was also addressing the rumor that it would kill people
Well both points are fair. It wouldn't kill anyone directly and it wasn't within feet of the planet or anything.

With that said certainly for some the loss of electricity could be a death sentence. Hospitals are on the grid. Places that do dialysis are on the grid. Lots of people alive today due to technology that would have been long gone a century or so ago.

If it does happen, Ill still be able to access the FFA though, right?
Well yeah. The FFA exists in a faraday cage. The shark pool is #### out of luck though.

Well both points are fair. It wouldn't kill anyone directly and it wasn't within feet of the planet or anything.

With that said certainly for some the loss of electricity could be a death sentence. Hospitals are on the grid. Places that do dialysis are on the grid. Lots of people alive today due to technology that would have been long gone a century or so ago.
So what do I need to stock up on?

News just revealed there was one in 2012 that would have hit the Earth if the Earth was a week ahead in the orbit around the Sun.

The Carrington Event was a solar flare that was so powerful, it set telegraph lines on fire. Thankfully, the electronics industry was in its infancy then. What would happen today if every wire on the planet simultaneously caught fire? Telephone wires, power lines, wires in your house, in your walls, in every piece of electronics you own... spontaneously combusting? I wouldn't want to be around for that.

I also read an article that made the point that all water pumps supplying fresh water to most of the population would be inoperable. Not to mention the breakdown in order to follow.

Apparently NASCAR drivers are homicidal maniacs waiting to snap. I never knew just how real the threat was but a few people in the TS thread have graciously enlightened me. How could we let these psychos command 200 mph deadly weapons weekly?

What else are we missing?
In order

Bears

Sharkcanos

Sharkcanoes

Robin Williams zombie

Death

Manziels effect on the integrity of the NFL

News just revealed there was one in 2012 that would have hit the Earth if the Earth was a week ahead in the orbit around the Sun.

The Carrington Event was a solar flare that was so powerful, it set telegraph lines on fire. Thankfully, the electronics industry was in its infancy then. What would happen today if every wire on the planet simultaneously caught fire? Telephone wires, power lines, wires in your house, in your walls, in every piece of electronics you own... spontaneously combusting? I wouldn't want to be around for that.
Yeah, this has to be the leader in the clubhouse. An estimated 12% likelihood of it happening in our lifetimes, and would lead to mass anarchy and death, and it's impossible to predict. We can't even comprehend the implications.

That gave me chills.

I also read an article that made the point that all water pumps supplying fresh water to most of the population would be inoperable. Not to mention the breakdown in order to follow.
Yeah the implications are so far reaching it's hard to even come up with everything.

Apparently NASCAR drivers are homicidal maniacs waiting to snap. I never knew just how real the threat was but a few people in the TS thread have graciously enlightened me. How could we let these psychos command 200 mph deadly weapons weekly?

What else are we missing?
In orderBears

Sharkcanos

Sharkcanoes

Robin Williams zombie

Death

Manziels effect on the integrity of the NFL
Impatient and deaf driver. Ahead or behind the RW zombie?

Yeah, this has to be the leader in the clubhouse. An estimated 12% likelihood of it happening in our lifetimes, and would lead to mass anarchy and death, and it's impossible to predict. We can't even comprehend the implications.
At the end of every "Doomsday Prepper" episode they provide a claim, like the odds for the occurence of what the prepper is preparing for. And every episode the claim shows how ridiculous it is for the prepper to be preparing for it because it's like one in a million.

Then one episode shows a prepper preparing for a CME "kill shot", like the Carrington Event in the 1850s. At the end of the episode the claim is something like a one in ten chance or something around such. My wife perked up and said "Wait... WHAT?!?!"

This isn't an event that kills us when it happens, like a tsunami, or an asteroid, etc... where we die because of what hit us. We will all live throught the CME kill shot. Millions however will die due to the breakdown of society that follows it.

At the end of every "Doomsday Prepper" episode they provide a claim, like the odds for the occurence of what the prepper is preparing for. And every episode the claim shows how ridiculous it is for the prepper to be preparing for it because it's like one in a million.

Then one episode shows a prepper preparing for a CME "kill shot", like the Carrington Event in the 1850s. At the end of the episode the claim is something like a one in ten chance or something around such. My wife perked up and said "Wait... WHAT?!?!"

This isn't an event that kills us when it happens, like a tsunami, or an asteroid, etc... where we die because of what hit us. We will all live throught the CME kill shot. Millions however will die due to the breakdown of society that follows it.
With that said hundreds of millions of rural Chinese for example would wake up the next day to no difference at all. Still the rice patty to work. Same in India. Tens of millions there have no electricity today. The developed nations would be devastated, in much of the third world it's just tomorrow.

With that said hundreds of millions of rural Chinese for example would wake up the next day to no difference at all. Still the rice patty to work. Same in India. Tens of millions there have no electricity today. The developed nations would be devastated, in much of the third world it's just tomorrow.
That's why I said millions, and not billions.

I would immediately shoot my wife and dog in the head, then myself. I don't understand the mentality of people who actively plan to try to survive an event like that.

I would immediately shoot my wife and dog in the head, then myself. I don't understand the mentality of people who actively plan to try to survive an event like that.
you would off yourself rather than live in a world without electricity?

Users who are viewing this thread