What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Severe Threats No One Talks About (1 Viewer)

I think there was a solar flare 2 weeks ago that almost knocked out 90% of global communication or something. Could be a problem.
On Bill Maher, Neil Degrasse Tyson pooh poohed this as sensationalism. The flare went through a space where the Earth would have been if it had been on the opposite side of the Sun at the time.

So, not quite "almost knocked out" but maybe statistically interesting.
News just revealed there was one in 2012 that would have hit the Earth if the Earth was a week ahead in the orbit around the Sun.

The Carrington Event was a solar flare that was so powerful, it set telegraph lines on fire. Thankfully, the electronics industry was in its infancy then. What would happen today if every wire on the planet simultaneously caught fire? Telephone wires, power lines, wires in your house, in your walls, in every piece of electronics you own... spontaneously combusting? I wouldn't want to be around for that.
Yeah, this has to be the leader in the clubhouse. An estimated 12% likelihood of it happening in our lifetimes, and would lead to mass anarchy and death, and it's impossible to predict. We can't even comprehend the implications.
At the end of every "Doomsday Prepper" episode they provide a claim, like the odds for the occurence of what the prepper is preparing for. And every episode the claim shows how ridiculous it is for the prepper to be preparing for it because it's like one in a million.

Then one episode shows a prepper preparing for a CME "kill shot", like the Carrington Event in the 1850s. At the end of the episode the claim is something like a one in ten chance or something around such. My wife perked up and said "Wait... WHAT?!?!"

This isn't an event that kills us when it happens, like a tsunami, or an asteroid, etc... where we die because of what hit us. We will all live throught the CME kill shot. Millions however will die due to the breakdown of society that follows it.
I would immediately shoot my wife and dog in the head, then myself. I don't understand the mentality of people who actively plan to try to survive an event like that.
you would off yourself rather than live in a world without electricity?
Either that or slowly die of starvation over the following year, or get killed by roving gangs looking for people to eat. I've never really been the roving gang type, and can't stand the taste of grilled people, so joining in the anarchy isn't realistic either. I'd rather be in control and end it quick than live through the ensuing hellscape.

I think there was a solar flare 2 weeks ago that almost knocked out 90% of global communication or something. Could be a problem.
On Bill Maher, Neil Degrasse Tyson pooh poohed this as sensationalism. The flare went through a space where the Earth would have been if it had been on the opposite side of the Sun at the time.

News just revealed there was one in 2012 that would have hit the Earth if the Earth was a week ahead in the orbit around the Sun.

The Carrington Event was a solar flare that was so powerful, it set telegraph lines on fire. Thankfully, the electronics industry was in its infancy then. What would happen today if every wire on the planet simultaneously caught fire? Telephone wires, power lines, wires in your house, in your walls, in every piece of electronics you own... spontaneously combusting? I wouldn't want to be around for that.
Yeah, this has to be the leader in the clubhouse. An estimated 12% likelihood of it happening in our lifetimes, and would lead to mass anarchy and death, and it's impossible to predict. We can't even comprehend the implications.
At the end of every "Doomsday Prepper" episode they provide a claim, like the odds for the occurence of what the prepper is preparing for. And every episode the claim shows how ridiculous it is for the prepper to be preparing for it because it's like one in a million.

Then one episode shows a prepper preparing for a CME "kill shot", like the Carrington Event in the 1850s. At the end of the episode the claim is something like a one in ten chance or something around such. My wife perked up and said "Wait... WHAT?!?!"

This isn't an event that kills us when it happens, like a tsunami, or an asteroid, etc... where we die because of what hit us. We will all live throught the CME kill shot. Millions however will die due to the breakdown of society that follows it.
I would immediately shoot my wife and dog in the head, then myself. I don't understand the mentality of people who actively plan to try to survive an event like that.
Either that or slowly die of starvation over the following year, or get killed by roving gangs looking for people to eat. I've never really been the roving gang type, and can't stand the taste of grilled people, so joining in the anarchy isn't realistic either. I'd rather be in control and end it quick than live through the ensuing hellscape.
The second it hits you got to get your loot on. Hopefully you live near a gun store, a camping store and grocery store. If your car still works, hard to say, you can hit all 3 and stock up on necessities. No alarms and with any luck the place has enough fire damage for you to get in easily. Remember the early looter gets the best stuff. You don't want to be stuck with crap.

[SIZE=10.5pt]my plan is to become a ##### to someone who actually knows how to survive the post-apocalyptic world. I'm grabbing the belt loop of the first guy like that I find.[/SIZE]

not much confidence in humanity huh?

not much confidence in humanity huh?
Have you met us?

my plan is to become a ##### to someone who actually knows how to survive the post-apocalyptic world. I'm grabbing the belt loop of the first guy like that I find.
This. My next door neighbor is a recovering prepper. He admits he drank the crazy koolaid too deeply, but the net result is he has water purifiers, generators, 20 firearms and lots of skill to be one of the commanders standing when the neighborhood is culled. I'm on his good side. I'm pretty sure he has a crush on my wife and I don't mind.

The second it hits you got to get your loot on. Hopefully you live near a gun store, a camping store and grocery store. If your car still works, hard to say, you can hit all 3 and stock up on necessities. No alarms and with any luck the place has enough fire damage for you to get in easily. Remember the early looter gets the best stuff. You don't want to be stuck with crap.
By the time everyone realizes it's not just a minor power outage, it's already mass chaos. Roads would be impassible and stores unsafe with people fighting to the death over the last jar of peanut butter. But let's say I'm one of the first to stock up -- how long will the food last, and how long before desperate starving people are going house to house, looting any scraps of food they can find? Best case, you could eke out an existence for a month or two, but it would be absolutely horrific and terrifying. Our society only supports this bloated population through a massive infrastructure that we take for granted. Once that's gone, widespread murder and starvation would take hold incredibly quick. Millions and millions dead within 2 month. Eff that. I get cranky when the wifi goes down. The rest of you can fight over rodents to eat.

By the time everyone realizes it's not just a minor power outage, it's already mass chaos. Roads would be impassible and stores unsafe with people fighting to the death over the last jar of peanut butter.But let's say I'm one of the first to stock up -- how long will the food last, and how long before desperate starving people are going house to house, looting any scraps of food they can find? Best case, you could eke out an existence for a month or two, but it would be absolutely horrific and terrifying. Our society only supports this bloated population through a massive infrastructure that we take for granted. Once that's gone, widespread murder and starvation would take hold incredibly quick. Millions and millions dead within 2 month. Eff that. I get cranky when the wifi goes down. The rest of you can fight over rodents to eat.
Well if you hit the camping store you can get freeze dried food that lasts a long time. Also it might be good to hit the hardware store for seeds. I also wouldn't stay in the city if you can get out. I would make a run to the mountains here. Lots of lightly populated area. Plenty of game. And abandoned shacks everywhere. Wouldn't be easy living but it would be the place to be until the city folk get done with each other. Oh and a great investment before the end days would be an old pickup. Something with nary an electronic control in it. Probably have to go for something very early 70's. New cars and trucks will be littering the highway but you'll be rolling.

By the time everyone realizes it's not just a minor power outage, it's already mass chaos. Roads would be impassible and stores unsafe with people fighting to the death over the last jar of peanut butter.But let's say I'm one of the first to stock up -- how long will the food last, and how long before desperate starving people are going house to house, looting any scraps of food they can find? Best case, you could eke out an existence for a month or two, but it would be absolutely horrific and terrifying. Our society only supports this bloated population through a massive infrastructure that we take for granted. Once that's gone, widespread murder and starvation would take hold incredibly quick. Millions and millions dead within 2 month. Eff that. I get cranky when the wifi goes down. The rest of you can fight over rodents to eat.
The book I referenced earlier breaks this all down as it occurs. The death cycles are something like 10% of the herd right off the top (within the first couple weeks). Another 20% or so over the next 2-3 months as medications run out then about 50% over a long slow roll as we all starve to death.

As the book points out, we produce more food than we can consume by a factor of 10 but if you don't have the ability to move it from point A to point B it doesn't mean ####. It's set in Asheville, NC which is cool because its a few hours up the road from me so it's all familiar. The final outcome isn't pretty. Humanities ability to share & be tolerant goes out the door about 7 days in.

Excellent point by NC about little impact to the third world countries. They call this type event Tuesday, saddle up the water buffalo!

Well if you hit the camping store you can get freeze dried food that lasts a long time. Also it might be good to hit the hardware store for seeds. I also wouldn't stay in the city if you can get out. I would make a run to the mountains here. Lots of lightly populated area. Plenty of game. And abandoned shacks everywhere. Wouldn't be easy living but it would be the place to be until the city folk get done with each other. Oh and a great investment before the end days would be an old pickup. Something with nary an electronic control in it. Probably have to go for something very early 70's. New cars and trucks will be littering the highway but you'll be rolling.
Believe me, by the time you think about "looting" anything there will be an angry mob 20 deep before you get close to the place. Our population centers are not set up to handle the population without electricity. Anyone that has every been in an extended electrical outage will attest it sucks hard and that is with community support to provide the basic necessities.

Sounds like a lot of what ifs and a hell of a lot of work. My way is no work at all. Eternal slumber baby, the dirt nap, no snooze button. :thumbup:

beer 30 said:
NCCommish said:
McGarnicle said:
NCCommish said:
Believe me, by the time you think about "looting" anything there will be an angry mob 20 deep before you get close to the place. Our population centers are not set up to handle the population without electricity. Anyone that has every been in an extended electrical outage will attest it sucks hard and that is with community support to provide the basic necessities.
I am talking within minutes. Got to recognize what you are dealing with immediately. Humanity isn't that quick as a herd and like a herd it needs to be led. I'll have a few hours before the ugly starts.

beer 30 said:
NCCommish said:
McGarnicle said:
NCCommish said:
Humans are insufferable when things are working well. I don't want to witness the herds of these dumb####s when the SHTF, and especially the psycho nutjobs who finally get to rape and pillage to their hearts' content.

mr roboto said:
Fennis said:
my plan is to become a ##### to someone who actually knows how to survive the post-apocalyptic world. I'm grabbing the belt loop of the first guy like that I find.
This. My next door neighbor is a recovering prepper. He admits he drank the crazy koolaid too deeply, but the net result is he has water purifiers, generators, 20 firearms and lots of skill to be one of the commanders standing when the neighborhood is culled. I'm on his good side. I'm pretty sure he has a crush on my wife and I don't mind.
You won't be around long.

beer 30 said:
NCCommish said:
McGarnicle said:
NCCommish said:
I am talking within minutes. Got to recognize what you are dealing with immediately. Humanity isn't that quick as a herd and like a herd it needs to be led. I'll have a few hours before the ugly starts.
You'll have that much time because everyone will be looking a their smartphone and trying to figure out why it won't turn on. then they'll go into convulsions when they can't get their fix of their smartphone.

Remember the Earth's crust is sitting on a liquid foundation. Theoretically the crust could lose it's grip and spin independently of the core of the planet. That would be pretty ugly.
Like a geological Tilt-A-Whirl... scary...

No more corn dogs and cotton candy for me...don't want to puke

Fennis said:
You'd be another mouth to feed, so you're gonna have to make yourself useful. Before you know it, that guy's gonna want you to suck him off in exchange for potable water and some beans.

Fennis said:
You'd be another mouth to feed, so you're gonna have to make yourself useful. Before you know it, that guy's gonna want you to suck him off in exchange for potable water and some beans.
I think that was his plan when he said he would "grab his belt loop." Like a prison #####.

This thread should be pinned so that FFA peeps will know what's going on so they can get a jump on the looting.

My bedroom light didn't turn on this morning so I headed to the hardware store with my sledge hammer. On my way I noticed the street lights still working. Damn bulbs.

I hope the solar blast happens in the Spring and not Winter. I think I could survive. GB living in a rural area. :thumbup:

Fennis said:
I think that was his plan when he said he would "grab his belt loop." Like a prison #####.
:goodposting:

gotta do, what you gotta do

beer 30 said:
McGarnicle said:
NCCommish said:
The book I referenced earlier breaks this all down as it occurs. The death cycles are something like 10% of the herd right off the top (within the first couple weeks). Another 20% or so over the next 2-3 months as medications run out then about 50% over a long slow roll as we all starve to death.

As the book points out, we produce more food than we can consume by a factor of 10 but if you don't have the ability to move it from point A to point B it doesn't mean ####. It's set in Asheville, NC which is cool because its a few hours up the road from me so it's all familiar. The final outcome isn't pretty. Humanities ability to share & be tolerant goes out the door about 7 days in.

Excellent point by NC about little impact to the third world countries. They call this type event Tuesday, saddle up the water buffalo!
The sharing and tolerance begins to decay at around 72 hours. You're right that it's gone come the 7th day.

beer 30 said:
NCCommish said:
McGarnicle said:
NCCommish said:
You'll have that much time because everyone will be looking a their smartphone and trying to figure out why it won't turn on. then they'll go into convulsions when they can't get their fix of their smartphone.
Exactly. And I'll be scooping up goodies.

mr roboto said:
Fennis said:
You won't be around long.
Good point. :oldunsure:

Users who are viewing this thread