What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shark Pool Mock draft - Version 2 (1 Viewer)

Something tells me Fletcher Cox we'll be the pick but it's up to JetMaxx. I would think that would be the no-brainier pick right there though. Reid loves D/O line depth and Cox would be great in the wide nine I think.

Wait wait, I'm here dude. Here's my Cowboys pick:Mark Barron: This is definitely worst case scenario. The DE/DTs who have "value" at this spot all have huge question marks. Kirkpatrick has potential but he doesn't excel in man coverage and doesn't play the deep ball well. Garrett won't touch Janoris. Glenn and Mercilus don't fit our scheme. Since we're stuck at this spot, it pretty much comes down to Poe vs Barron. As much as I'd love to stick any 350 pounder in the middle and move Jay Ratliff to DE, the BUST label scares me way too much. Hurts to draft a player who might not start right away, but the Cowboys need to finally come to terms with the fact that they've neglected the safety position ever since Sean Payton exposed Roy Williams. They take Barron, hope he recovers and avoids future injuries, and pray that he turns into a solid starter before the end of the 2012 season.
And your thoughts on Cox? To me, he is the no-brainer given the draft board available.
Honestly I really liked what I saw from Cox and wouldn't argue if the Cowboys went in that direction. But to explain what I was thinking: Initially I was high on Poe to the Cowboys not b/c of his tape or measurables, but simply b/c it would move JayRat outside. As much as I wanted to hope for upside, I knew it was a bad pick to draft one player just to move another. As for Cox, he's my favorite dlinemen left on the board but my thought process was that we have to address our secondary AND front seven in the first 2 rounds.As much as I liked what I saw from Cox, there is way more Front Seven talent available in round 2, whether it's on the line or even pass rushers. The drop-off at secondary is from round 1 to round 2 is much more significant.
Fair enough. I disagree a bit about the quality of front 7 talent in the 2nd round, but whatever. Your logic is not unreasonable. THough I don't think its the same logic that the front office uses. I would be flat out shocked to see Barron go at 14. It doesnt fit the profiles that Dallas has shown over the years.But lets move on. This is only for play.

Fair enough. I disagree a bit about the quality of front 7 talent in the 2nd round, but whatever. Your logic is not unreasonable. THough I don't think its the same logic that the front office uses. I would be flat out shocked to see Barron go at 14. It doesnt fit the profiles that Dallas has shown over the years.But lets move on. This is only for play.
Well I'll openly admit I signed up for this mock draft to get a feel for how everyone's value is changing, makes watching the Draft way more enjoyable after you go through a bunch of these mocks. But even though I liked Cox more than every defensive linemen except Coples, or Ingram as OLB, I still assumed Cox's value was towards the end of Round 1. Maybe I'm undervaluing him if you really think he's worth a pick at 14.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'll openly admit I signed up for this mock draft to get a feel for how everyone's value is changing, makes watching the Draft way more enjoyable after you go through a bunch of these mocks. But even though I liked Cox more than every defensive linemen except Coples, or Ingram as OLB, I still assumed Cox's value was towards the end of Round 1. Maybe I'm undervaluing him if you really think he's worth a pick at 14.
Here's a link to the blog of one of my favorite Cowboy writers, Bob Sturm. He has an excellent article on Cox at the top. Rather informative of this situation.http://sturminator.blogspot.com/

Here's a link to the blog of one of my favorite Cowboy writers, Bob Sturm. He has an excellent article on Cox at the top. Rather informative of this situation.http://sturminator.blogspot.com/
Interesting, looks like he's gaining a lot of steam from the last time I watched his tape. If he's that good of a talent should make us happy sitting at 14, especially if a combination of Tannenhill, Brockers, or Poe to go off the board before we pick. The question is who the Cowboys value higher, DeCastro or Cox.

Interesting, looks like he's gaining a lot of steam from the last time I watched his tape. If he's that good of a talent should make us happy sitting at 14, especially if a combination of Tannenhill, Brockers, or Poe to go off the board before we pick. The question is who the Cowboys value higher, DeCastro or Cox.
Much like last year when they could choose between Tyron Smith and JJ Watt, either choice would be very good. The short list that I'm coming around to includes them and Ingram. All three fit how Dallas profiles players. I can also see them going Brockers, Konz, or Kirkpatrick, but I'd be surprised over any of the first 3. Upshaw seems extremely similar to Anthony Spencer, so I'd doubt that's the direction they'd go. And as mentioned above, Barron doesnt warrant #14 overall, need or not. They don't value safety that highly to push him over other guys at more premium positions. Poe is not a RKG.

Much like last year when they could choose between Tyron Smith and JJ Watt, either choice would be very good. The short list that I'm coming around to includes them and Ingram. All three fit how Dallas profiles players. I can also see them going Brockers, Konz, or Kirkpatrick, but I'd be surprised over any of the first 3. Upshaw seems extremely similar to Anthony Spencer, so I'd doubt that's the direction they'd go. And as mentioned above, Barron doesnt warrant #14 overall, need or not. They don't value safety that highly to push him over other guys at more premium positions. Poe is not a RKG.
Honestly none of the Alabama defenders impress me but I convinced myself Barron would be a better pick than the other two simply b/c Kirkpatrick doesn't fit the scheme and Upshaw is like Spencer but a little less stout against the run. Although what I'm reading about Cox is definitely exciting. As for Alabama, NFL Network is televising their pro day on Thursday, I thought it was on the 29th though.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/03/deja-draft-cowboys-coach-jason.html

With the 15th pick in the 2012 Shark Pool Mock Draft v.2, the Philadelphia Eagles select:

Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State

A young, impact player at DT is almost as needed in this defense as LB. Hate to say it but Cox reminds me of the type of DLmen that the Giants have had over the last 5-8 yrs(Strahan, Tuck, JPP, etc)big and very athletic. Being coached by Washburn, he could be a stud. Plus I love this:

@Lawlornfl DT Fletcher Cox was guest on new NFL draft show called The Panel. They asked what team he wants to play for. #1- Eagles. Loves their system

Somebody make the Jets pick.

I think someone like Rueben Randle or Kendall Wright should be on the radar. Maybe a pass rusher like Marcelus or Perry.

Not a fan of the Barron to Dallas pick at all. Athough full marks for not taking a CB like I see in other fan mocks.

I'm in the view the Cowboys would look at Dline there.

The Cincinnati Bengals select Dre Kirkpatrick, CB Alabama

CB is a huge need and Kirkpatrick is a great value. He may fall out of the top 10 because of pot possession charges, but those charges have been dropped. Talent-wise he isn't far behind Claiborne and the Bengals aren't known to shy away from talents with character concerns.

Even if they get Terrence Newman, the Bengals need a top young corner to groom opposite the injured Leon Hall.

1.19 Chicago Bears - Whitney Mercilus, DE Illinois

Wright was so tempting, but this defense really needs some young talent. Plus wr is deeper than d end.

Who's doing Tennessee?
Nobody from the looks of page one:1. Indianapolis - Andrew Luck - ???

2. Washington (from St. Louis) - Robert Griffin III - ???

3. Minnesota - FunkyPlutos - Matt Kalil

4. Cleveland - Eric Rymer - Trent Richardson

5. Tampa Bay - Donsmith753 - Morris Claiborne

6. St. Louis (from Washington) - beef - Justin Blackmon

7. Jacksonville - Mr. Brownstone - Melvin Ingram

8. Miami - Kirby - Riley Reiff

9. Carolina - patrickmcgroin - Quinton Coples

10. Buffalo - Devine Intervention - Michael Floyd

11. Kansas City - Luke Kuechly

12. Seattle - Grimace59 - Courtney Upshaw, DE - Alabama

13. Arizona - Andy D - David DeCastro, OG - Stanford

14. Dallas - sspunisher - Mark Barron, S - Alabama

15. Philadelphia - JetMaxx - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State

16. NY Jets - Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

17. Cincinnati (from Oakland) - Exalted One - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB Alabama

18. San Diego - sihaokills - Janoris Jenkins, CB N Alabama

19. Chicago - RBM - Whitney Mercilus, DE Illinois

20. Tennessee -

My vote would be for Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis

Tennessee is widely projected to get a DT in many mocks or if DeCastro would have fallen then he would have been the pick but he's already been taken.

21. Cincinnati - ExaltedOne

22. Cleveland (from Atlanta) - Eric Rymer

23. Detroit - Atomic Punk

24. Pittsburgh - Idiot Boxer

25. Denver

26. Houston - fakepunt

27. New England (from New Orleans) - Blackjacks

28. Green Bay - Warhogs

29. Baltimore - Jaruta

30. San Francisco - J Andersson

31. New England - Blackjacks

1.19 Chicago Bears - Whitney Mercilus, DE IllinoisWright was so tempting, but this defense really needs some young talent. Plus wr is deeper than d end.
Love the pick, Whitney Mercilus is the best 4-3 DE in the draft. He is raw, but reminds me of Richard Dent. Which of course makes this pick even better.

Not a fan of the Barron to Dallas pick at all. Athough full marks for not taking a CB like I see in other fan mocks.I'm in the view the Cowboys would look at Dline there.
Yea I wasn't excited to make that pick at all, to be honest Tannenhill not getting drafted really threw me off. Apparently I misjudged Cox's value so given that board I'm sure the Cowboys would take him, but I think there's no way Tannenhill doesn't get drafted in the top 10 picks. If Tannenhill gets drafted, guys like Ingram, Coples, DeCastro, and Kuechly will slide. Originally I'd take all 4 of those guys ahead of Cox. I'd really have to debate Kuechly and Cox if both fell in my lap at 14. I had a nice write up explaining how Sean Lee and Kuechly in the middle would do wonders for our pass defense, especially in the nickel.

1.19 Chicago Bears - Whitney Mercilus, DE IllinoisWright was so tempting, but this defense really needs some young talent. Plus wr is deeper than d end.
Mercilus makes sense, but if you go defense, I'd rather go CB Gilmore.
Pass rush is so much more important, especially in that Lovie D.
I agree, but Charles Tillman is 31 and Tim Jennings is 28. Those are the only outside CB's they have...pretty depleted. At DE they have Peppers, Izzy, Wootton.

I'd really have to debate Kuechly and Cox if both fell in my lap at 14. I had a nice write up explaining how Sean Lee and Kuechly in the middle would do wonders for our pass defense, especially in the nickel.
Umm, that's what last year's 2nd round pick, Bruce Carter, is for. He may not have the bulk for an every down 3-4 ILB. But he's got plenty of athleticism for nickel.

1.20 - Stephon Gilmore, CB - South Carolina

After signing Wimbley to a big contract, DE seems less likely. I also think they have to be considering Konz and Wright at this point.

1.21 - Cincinnatti Bengals select Kendall Wright, WR Baylor

With Caldwell gone and possibly Simpson too, they don't have much at receiver beyond AJ. Wright can be an immediate starter at Wr and can make an impact on special teams.

With the 1.22 the Cleveland Browns select:

Ryan Tannehill, QB – Texas A&M

Although several mock draft have him slotted in at 4 I was not ready to pull the trigger then. With him slipping past Miami and KC, I believe he is too good to pass up at the 22. WR and help on the right side of the line are definite needs as well and were strongly considered. Greg Cosell, Mayock and Russ Lande believe Tannehill is a franchise caliber QB and that’s good enough for me.

From Mayock discussing Tannehill at 1.4:

Browns will bring in Ryan Tannehill for pre-draft visit

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2012, 1:55 PM EDT

Getty Images

Although Browns coach Pat Shurmur says his team is moving forward with Colt McCoy at quarterback, drafting Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill remains a possibility.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Browns will bring in Tannehill as one of their 30 pre-draft visits. That doesn’t necessarily mean the Browns view Tannehill as their best bet with the fourth overall pick in the NFL draft, but it’s still a move they’re considering. And NFL Network’s Mike Mayock endorsed Tannehill as the player the Browns should take.

“Franchise quarterback trumps all,” Mayock said on Path to the Draft. “We talk about that all the time, and I don’t believe Colt McCoy is the answer. And I do believe Ryan Tannehill could become the answer. So I believe at No. 4 they ought to pull the trigger on Tannehill.”

The question is whether they’d be passing up on an offensive playmaker they love when they pulled the trigger on Tannehill. Alabama running back Trent Richardson and Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon are other potential targets for the Browns at No. 4. But Mayock said the Browns would be better off drafting Tannehill at No. 4 and then using their second first-round pick, the 22nd overall selection they acquired from the Falcons in last year’s Julio Jones trade, on a running back or receiver.

“Don’t forget, Cleveland’s got No. 22 in the first round,” Mayock said. “So don’t look at this as just No. 4. You’re trying to come out of this draft the best you can. And if you want a tailback because you lost Peyton Hillis, how about Doug Martin? How about David Wilson? At No. 22 you can get one of those tailbacks. If you need a wide receiver at No. 22, what about Kendall Wright? The way I think they have to look at this thing is, go get the franchise quarterback, sit him on the bench for a little bit behind Colt McCoy, get him comfortable, and then at 22 get yourself a playmaker.”

Fourth overall is higher than most people think Tannehill will go. But if the Browns think there’s a chance Tannehill will be their franchise quarterback for years to come, they can’t pass him up.

1.21 - Cincinnatti Bengals select Kendall Wright, WR BaylorWith Caldwell gone and possibly Simpson too, they don't have much at receiver beyond AJ. Wright can be an immediate starter at Wr and can make an impact on special teams.
You don't think they're going Glenn here?

1.21 - Cincinnatti Bengals select Kendall Wright, WR BaylorWith Caldwell gone and possibly Simpson too, they don't have much at receiver beyond AJ. Wright can be an immediate starter at Wr and can make an impact on special teams.
I could've gone either way. TBH I just read some more reports on Glenn and would probably go that direction now.Wright is a great talent though and he'd be a good fit.

I'd really have to debate Kuechly and Cox if both fell in my lap at 14. I had a nice write up explaining how Sean Lee and Kuechly in the middle would do wonders for our pass defense, especially in the nickel.
Umm, that's what last year's 2nd round pick, Bruce Carter, is for. He may not have the bulk for an every down 3-4 ILB. But he's got plenty of athleticism for nickel.
That's why I'd debate it. This is Carter's 2nd year post-ACL surgery and Lee isn't exactly the most durable player as he's missed time with torn ACL, broken wrist, and a sprained ankle or knee I believe. If Kuechly's the highest player on your board, you only pass on him if you have no question whatsoever about Carter's health and if the next player on your board is close enough in talent but fills a much greater need. But that's what I meant about debating/researching it: Fletcher Cox's value, Carter's health and even Connor's upside. I loved that article you showed me about Cox, and recently saw him go as high as 6 or 7 in a mock draft so I gotta hear more about this guy before I decide where I stand on his value.As for Dan Connor, he was pulled in nickel situations in Carolina and we know just b/c we're in our base 3-4 doesn't mean he won't have coverage assignments. I'd rather have 2 complete ILBs on the field than rotating two. We might not draft Kuechly, but personally I don't think it's that far-fetched.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably have the Chiefs take Tannehill.

But I shouldn't have had the opportunity since he'll be a Dolphin at the very latest. I'm sure Mike Sherman is lobbying hard for him.

I could've gone either way. TBH I just read some more reports on Glenn and would probably go that direction now.Wright is a great talent though and he'd be a good fit.
No question that we need a WR2 in the draft no matter what Marvin says. I just thought consensus was that the drop off in G after Glenn is so much bigger than the drop off in WR after Wright

6 User(s) are reading this topic

5 members, 0 guests, 1 anonymous users

Andy Dufresne,s_ezy,Grimace59,Grahamburn,eric rymer
I'm curious. Who would you have taken for the Seahawks?

With the 1.22 the Cleveland Browns select:

Ryan Tannehill, QB – Texas A&M
Wow. Great value and drafting on your part, but Tannenhill's draft situation has Jay Cutler/Jake Locker written all over it. He'll go in the top 10 somewhere for sure.
If I had to do it over again, I'd probably have the Chiefs take Tannehill.

But I shouldn't have had the opportunity since he'll be a Dolphin at the very latest. I'm sure Mike Sherman is lobbying hard for him.
Yeah I agree with you both. I have no doubt he will not be there at 22. I'm sure he'll be a Dolphin or a Brown if we trade down a few spots but don't believe he would make it past KC. My initial ideal scenario for the 1.22 was for Kendall Wright but expected him to go to Cinci right before me like he did. Had Tannehill and Wright both been off the board I most likely would have taken Jonathan Martin. There is talk of Steinbach returning so adding Martin at RT would really solidify our O-line. Had Wright been there in this mock I probably would have rolled the dice with him because I didn't see a big need at QB from anyone before our next pick and no trades allowed...maybe TB. I know the Browns brass is putting it out there that they are behind McCoy but I don't buy it. Especially with the reports this morning that Cleveland's initial conversation with the Rams was not about the #2 pick but about Bradford. I just can't see Cleveland passing on Tannehill at 22 if he is available.ETA: Atomic Punk has been PM'd

I am salivating over the 26th pick...

By the way, I am here too...

But that's what I meant about debating/researching it: Fletcher Cox's value, Carter's health and even Connor's upside. I loved that article you showed me about Cox, and recently saw him go as high as 6 or 7 in a mock draft so I gotta hear more about this guy before I decide where I stand on his value.
Yep, these mocks are really good at helping flesh out draft knowledge and team needs. :thumbup: And that website I linked to has a new post about Brockers. Mr. Sturm is not as impressed as with Cox.

'Ridgelake said:
... And that website I linked to has a new post about Brockers. Mr. Sturm is not as impressed as with Cox.
I like Brockers.Sturm isn't in favor of the Boys taking him at #14 because he says he doesn't have much pass rush. True but Sturm says Brockers is tough to run against and that he's raw and can develop.I like him and feel he's a natural fit as a 4-3 DE. Some draft pundits say he reminds them of Richard Seymour, the might be a bit enthusiastic but if he does develop it is a nice comparison IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread