What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shark Pool Spotlights are ON - Was "No Player Spotlights this year (1 Viewer)

TheDirtyWord

Footballguy
:shrug:

<sniff>

Joe Edit:

Just to let folks know - the Footballguys Player Spotlights are on as normal this year. Just like last year. We'll be posting "official" threads in the Shark Pool for players and asking for your comments.

Look for something soon on these.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Tagged.

I've subscribed to FBG every season for awhile now. Haven't yet this year. Not sure it's worth it anymore, especially with the SP

I feel like they came out later in redraft season, late July-ish maybe? It's still dynasty/rookie draft mode for many of us.

They started mid-May in the past, it seems. http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=681698&hl=%2Bspotlight+%2Bdirectory

I don't care for the actual spotlights, but I quite enjoy the debate in some of the threads. They can be overrun by haters or hypers, but generally there is some good discussion on players with intriguing situations/upside. The known quantity type players' spotlights are snoozers, but perhaps we should just start up some new redraft only threads for the most interesting players this coming season?

Guys I find most interesting:

QB

Foles

Cutler

Tannehill

WR

Jordy/Cobb

Fitz/Floyd

Allen

Andre Johnson

Crabtree

Harvin

Patterson/Jennings

Edelman/Amendola

Hilton/Nicks/Wayne

Maclin/Cooper

Decker

Wallace

Tate

Bowe

Oakland mess

RB

Bell

Ball

Gio/Hill

Stacy

Morris

Spiller

Ellington

Mathews

Tate

Rice/Bernard

Vereen/Ridley/Bolden/White

Gore/Hyde/Lattimore

NYG

New Orleans

TE

Gronk

Gates/Green

Allen/Fleener

If you guys list who you find interesting, maybe we pick a few of the guys we overlap on and get some discussion going.

Let me know if you want to start picking out some individual names and make them another thread in here. I'm really interested right now on the Gates/Green scenario. Every assumes its Greens job now but what exactly does that look like? Will he be a dominate TE, does he have the tools to stay in on most snaps due to great blocking? I feel he seems to be in the upper echelon of tight end discussions but its based more on a leap of faith than production sample. Maclin and Cooper are an interesting pair as well. Coop had great chemistry and Maclin is a on a prove it deal. Lastly I think Tanny is interesting. Behind a now average line he can make big strides this year with mike wallace.

They started mid-May in the past, it seems. http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=681698&hl=%2Bspotlight+%2Bdirectory

I don't care for the actual spotlights, but I quite enjoy the debate in some of the threads. They can be overrun by haters or hypers, but generally there is some good discussion on players with intriguing situations/upside. The known quantity type players' spotlights are snoozers, but perhaps we should just start up some new redraft only threads for the most interesting players this coming season?

Guys I find most interesting:

QB

Foles

Cutler

Tannehill

RG3

WR

Jordy/Cobb

Fitz/Floyd

Allen

Andre Johnson

Crabtree

Harvin

Patterson/Jennings

Edelman/Amendola

Hilton/Nicks/Wayne

Maclin/Cooper

Decker

Wallace

Tate

Bowe

Oakland mess

RB

Bell

Ball

Gio/Hill

Stacy

Morris

Spiller

Ellington

Mathews

Tate

Rice/Bernard

Vereen/Ridley/Bolden/White

Gore/Hyde/Lattimore

NYG

New Orleans

TE

Gronk

Gates/Green

Allen/Fleener

If you guys list who you find interesting, maybe we pick a few of the guys we overlap on and get some discussion going.
I would participate in the bolded

What I liked about the spotlight threads were the specific rules. If you wanted to participate and get a shot at getting published on the FBG's board and email links you had to come with some analysis. You had to evaluate what changes to the offense good or bad affected the player's floor or ceiling. Also you needed to go out on limb and call the player in question a draft value compared to his ADP or draft dud. But what really made those spotlight threads rein in the hyperbole was having to project overall touches, targets, yards, TD's, attempts, etc. If you could make a case that a player was undervalued, you needed to show your work that his production was a zero sum balance that would eat into the other players on the team. For example, I remember one year, every Patriot skill position was supposed to put up over 1000 yards and double digit TD's. So then Tom Brady was supposed to throw for 6000 yards and 60 TD's? Made you consider the hyperbole and figure where it was coming from. The OP and others in this thread did a great job of being realistic with their projections. Spotlight threads are missed.

Good list FF Ninja.

I'd add a few guys

QB:

RG3 - how does he bounce back from a down 2013 and a new offense?

Dalton - can he put up top 5 QB numbers again or what last year a fluke?

WR:

Randle - does he become the new Nicks?

Terrance Williams - what will he see playing across from Dez?

Marvin Jones - can he build off his solid year?

DJax - how will he fair coming off a career year and a going to a new team?

Hopkins - anything to see this year?

TE:

Reed - if healthy can he crack the top 3?

Rudolph - will he see the Norv bump like Cameron did last year?

Cameron - can he build on last season?

Neither of these lists really have any rookie spotlight stuff though some of the more intriguing rookie ?? right now to me:

Jeremy Hill/Gio Bernard - Does Hill just come in and take over the Law Firms 200+ up the gut carries? Also what does this mean for Gio's value?

Terrance West/ Isaiah Crowell/Ben Tate - Who honestly wins here? Tate isn't an 'if he gets injured' but a 'when he gets injured' type of guy.

Andre Williams/David Wilson/Rashad Jennings - If Wilson is healthy how does this carry split look? If he's not how does it look? Also take into account a completely reworked offensive line.

Watkins/Woods/Williams - Is Watkins the day 1 #1 or do they really make him compete?

Randle/Beckham - Is Beckham the #2 or Randle? Even in a base 3WR set there will be 2 wide sets, who is sitting on those plays? Randle or Beckham.

Adams/Janis/Abberdaris/Cobb/Nelson - How does this all shape up? Who becomes the WR3 in the offense, an offense where we know WR can be insanely productive.

ASJ - How will his targets and situation play out with the QB situation + having VJax and Evans on the sides.

Ebron - Same as above, does Calvin demanding bracket coverage and Tate on the other end open the field up for him? Or does it hurt him.

Amaro - Is he the immediate #1 Red Zone target for whoever starts at QB? Could this be one of those 8+ TD type rookie seasons from a guy like Amaro?

What I liked about the spotlight threads were the specific rules. If you wanted to participate and get a shot at getting published on the FBG's board and email links you had to come with some analysis. You had to evaluate what changes to the offense good or bad affected the player's floor or ceiling. Also you needed to go out on limb and call the player in question a draft value compared to his ADP or draft dud. But what really made those spotlight threads rein in the hyperbole was having to project overall touches, targets, yards, TD's, attempts, etc. If you could make a case that a player was undervalued, you needed to show your work that his production was a zero sum balance that would eat into the other players on the team. For example, I remember one year, every Patriot skill position was supposed to put up over 1000 yards and double digit TD's. So then Tom Brady was supposed to throw for 6000 yards and 60 TD's? Made you consider the hyperbole and figure where it was coming from. The OP and others in this thread did a great job of being realistic with their projections. Spotlight threads are missed.
I sort of led the charge on this, especially when it came to the Pats players. Welker, Lloyd, Branch, Gronk, and Hernandez were all going to have 1,200/10 yard seasons and Woodhead, Ridley, and Vereen were going to chip in another 2,500 yards. Doing the simple math, the Patriots were going to compile 9,000 yards and 800 points on the season. That's why for years I pitched the team spotlight concept where people would have to project the entire team offense, making the totals much more reasonable.

Bronx Bomber said:
I feel like they came out later in redraft season, late July-ish maybe? It's still dynasty/rookie draft mode for many of us.
They've always started pretty soon after the draft IIRC. Doing a dynasty startup draft now and there is very very little useful content on the site. :thumbdown:

You can see the Spotlights from last year here http://footballguys.com/articles13.php

We had a difficult time last year getting participation from the boards so the format was changed to have board comments when they were applicable. But the board wasn't as big a part of them as they'd been in the past. That was a bummer for me but we just worked with what we had.

You guys may be hitting on a better solution of doing them on your own here. I'd encourage you to designate the players and situations you want and have "Official" Spotlights that you guys choose. It's a great opportunity for posters to lay out their thoughts and demonstrate their knowledge.

J

Bronx Bomber said:
They've always started pretty soon after the draft IIRC. Doing a dynasty startup draft now and there is very very little useful content on the site. :thumbdown:
Hi slapdash,

Make sure to check out the Team Pages. We just posted Chicago yesterday http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2014/14teamreport-chi.php They're really good info I think. We also have about 600 new Player Page writeups that we just finished. For Dynasty rankings, we've got fresh content here http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/viewrankings.php?viewpos=ov&type=dynasty Thanks.

J

Anarchy99 said:
That's why for years I pitched the team spotlight concept where people would have to project the entire team offense, making the totals much more reasonable.
I really like this idea. A separate Spotlight thread for each team would be good.

Anarchy99 said:
That's why for years I pitched the team spotlight concept where people would have to project the entire team offense, making the totals much more reasonable.
I really like this idea. A separate Spotlight thread for each team would be good.
:thumbup: The team view always is helpful to keep things realistic.

J

Anarchy99 said:

J
Having written a ton of spotlights over the years, I found the projections at times to be pretty problematic. For example, if a NFL team had 3 young receivers that could emerge, people would pick one of them to be the breakout candidate and would post in that players PS thread that PLAYER X was in line for an 80-1200-10 season. They wouldn't like the other two guys very much, but they wouldn't post their projections for the other two WR. Well, the next poster would like PLAYER Y, and the next person PLAYER Z. But they would only comment and post projections for one of the 3 players. So what would happen would be that PLAYERS X, Y, and Z would all have lofty projections even though in reality only one might have any chance of having a breakout season (although the identity of breakout candidate was a mystery).

I have similar issues with player rankings in general. Like the current situation in Philadelphia. Foles is ranked and projected to have a very strong season, but the WR and TE from PHI are mostly ranked and projected on the low side. I get that there are a lot of options and there's a fair amount of risk and speculation, but the chances are that there will be a decent producer from PHI at both the WR and TE positions. It's very unlikely that the Eagles would have no TE in the Top 15 and no WR in the Top 25 if Foles ends up a Top 5 QB. Personally, I would rather staffers picked someone to have a good year at those spots rather than project several players with so so numbers, as historically that has happened very often. But maybe that's just me . . .

Bronx Bomber said:
Hi slapdash,

Make sure to check out the Team Pages. We just posted Chicago yesterday http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2014/14teamreport-chi.php They're really good info I think. We also have about 600 new Player Page writeups that we just finished. For Dynasty rankings, we've got fresh content here http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/viewrankings.php?viewpos=ov&type=dynasty%C2'>

J
Cool, was not aware of the team pages. Looks like I timed the dynasty rankings poorly; they were pretty stale when I was looking Fri/Sat to check mine against.

Anarchy99 said:

J
Personally, I would rather staffers picked someone to have a good year at those spots rather than project several players with so so numbers, as historically that has happened very often. But maybe that's just me . . .
Hi Anarchy,

But we have to go with what we think. We'd all prefer for one WR to seize the reins and take over. That makes for a much more profitable Fantasy Pick. But I'm having a hard time convincing Chip Kelly my fantasy league is that important... ;)

Without Jackson, it really does feel murky. At least in June. Hopefully we'll get some separation and clarity. But right now it would honestly be a disservice to our readers to pin a big number on one of the WRs when we don't really see it yet.

J

Bronx Bomber said:
Hi slapdash,

Make sure to check out the Team Pages. We just posted Chicago yesterday http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2014/14teamreport-chi.php They're really good info I think. We also have about 600 new Player Page writeups that we just finished. For Dynasty rankings, we've got fresh content here

J
Cool, was not aware of the team pages. Looks like I timed the dynasty rankings poorly; they were pretty stale when I was looking Fri/Sat to check mine against.
Thanks slapdash. I hear you - we really do need to do a better job of highlighting the team pages as they're some of our best content I think. I've called them out on the email update each day but we need to get more emphasis on them on the site. That's always our problem - with a lot of stuff featured, it's hard to draw attention sometimes.

J

Bronx Bomber said:
Hi slapdash,

Make sure to check out the Team Pages. We just posted Chicago yesterday http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2014/14teamreport-chi.php They're really good info I think. We also have about 600 new Player Page writeups that we just finished. For Dynasty rankings, we've got fresh content here

J
Thanks slapdash. I hear you - we really do need to do a better job of highlighting the team pages as they're some of our best content I think. I've called them out on the email update each day but we need to get more emphasis on them on the site. That's always our problem - with a lot of stuff featured, it's hard to draw attention sometimes.

J
Do you post a thread with the team page links? That might attract the attention of those who have the forum page bookmarked and don't navigate the homepage as often on mobile devices. Plus it would generate discussion I assume.

Bronx Bomber said:
Hi slapdash,

J

J
Do you post a thread with the team page links? That might attract the attention of those who have the forum page bookmarked and don't navigate the homepage as often on mobile devices. Plus it would generate discussion I assume.
Thanks. Here's the link for the Baltimore Team Report and then you can see links for all the other teams across the top. There are still some that we haven't entered yet for this season but many are live. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2014/14teamreport-rav.php

And for sure, give us feedback on the reports when you see things you disagree with.

J

Hmm. Disappointing to say the least. I really appreciated the organized, analytical approach taken in those threads-some of the most useful info was found in them IMHO. I felt like there was still good participation in the various threads I followed, but admittedly I did notice a bit of a drop off from years past.

Bronx Bomber said:
Hi slapdash,

J

J
Personally, I have always found the site counter-intuitive to navigate during the off-season (In-season, it is organized very well). I've been trying to use the top bar and most of the links (Article\Reprots\Teams for example) and they come up stale.

Not trying to be overly critical, just pointing out what I've noticed the last couple of weeks.

Hi slapdash,

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have specific changes you'd like to see for the navigation? Always interested to hear ideas that can make it better. We're pretty much locked into that type of horizontal menu bar at this point, but the menu items within the headers could be tweaked. What exactly would you like to see better there? Thanks.

J

Anarchy99 said:

J
Having written a ton of spotlights over the years, I found the projections at times to be pretty problematic. For example, if a NFL team had 3 young receivers that could emerge, people would pick one of them to be the breakout candidate and would post in that players PS thread that PLAYER X was in line for an 80-1200-10 season. They wouldn't like the other two guys very much, but they wouldn't post their projections for the other two WR. Well, the next poster would like PLAYER Y, and the next person PLAYER Z. But they would only comment and post projections for one of the 3 players. So what would happen would be that PLAYERS X, Y, and Z would all have lofty projections even though in reality only one might have any chance of having a breakout season (although the identity of breakout candidate was a mystery).

I have similar issues with player rankings in general. Like the current situation in Philadelphia. Foles is ranked and projected to have a very strong season, but the WR and TE from PHI are mostly ranked and projected on the low side. I get that there are a lot of options and there's a fair amount of risk and speculation, but the chances are that there will be a decent producer from PHI at both the WR and TE positions. It's very unlikely that the Eagles would have no TE in the Top 15 and no WR in the Top 25 if Foles ends up a Top 5 QB. Personally, I would rather staffers picked someone to have a good year at those spots rather than project several players with so so numbers, as historically that has happened very often. But maybe that's just me . . .
Have you ever tried ranking WR and TE stats based on QB projections? I have, and the effectiveness varies greatly depending on the team.

Using last year's Broncos team as an example, you could have realistically predicted that DT would have x% of Peyton's projected total yards and tds, Decker to have y%, Welker to have z%, etc. But New Orleans with Brees' #s? No chance. Same with Philly last season, and again this season.

I get what you're saying though, and ideally it would all add up. But some situations the projected qb #s can't be used as a starting point for TE and WR production

Anarchy99 said:

J

Have you ever tried ranking WR and TE stats based on QB projections? I have, and the effectiveness varies greatly depending on the team.

Using last year's Broncos team as an example, you could have realistically predicted that DT would have x% of Peyton's projected total yards and tds, Decker to have y%, Welker to have z%, etc. But New Orleans with Brees' #s? No chance. Same with Philly last season, and again this season.

I get what you're saying though, and ideally it would all add up. But some situations the projected qb #s can't be used as a starting point for TE and WR production
Everyone does thinks differently, but in the 10 years I worked for FBG, I made a projection for a team's QB first and then reversed engineered the projections for passing and running (and then the individual player projections from there).

Obviously projections are guess work, and there has to be some wriggle room. So if team projections are off by a factor of say 500 yards, I could live with that. But when projections are off by 2,500 yards of total offense, then it's time to scrub the projections and start over.

Last year, I looked at what people were saying about Manning and said he would need a 6000/60 yard season and that even toning down the projections he would end up with a 5500/55 season if the numbers worked out. Sadly, I did not believe he should have been projected for a record breaking season for passing yards and TDs. I thought he would do well (and drafted him), but I did not believe the numbers could work out to the seemingly inflated projections. Whoops.

So last year clearly indicated that the impossible could in reality be possible. But I would still tend to try to be more conservative in projections than projecting uber numbers year in and year out no matter what the team or the player.

You can see the Spotlights from last year here http://footballguys.com/articles13.php

We had a difficult time last year getting participation from the boards so the format was changed to have board comments when they were applicable. But the board wasn't as big a part of them as they'd been in the past. That was a bummer for me but we just worked with what we had.

You guys may be hitting on a better solution of doing them on your own here. I'd encourage you to designate the players and situations you want and have "Official" Spotlights that you guys choose. It's a great opportunity for posters to lay out their thoughts and demonstrate their knowledge.

J
I very much disagree (respectfully). Yes, Brandon Weedon's spotlight from 2013 had 1 reply. But Calvin Johnson, Ryan Mathews, and MJD had 104, 163, and 97 replies, respectively. I really enjoyed posts from certain posters (TheDirtyWord particularly) and i've already finished my initial projections so I'd at least like to get my uninformed opinions out and see how they mesh with others.

Seems like it wouldn't be that difficult for us to start-up. Same rules as last year (see below). I'm happy to kinda start things up. Seems like there were maybe 5-7 names released each week. I can put together a schedule for which player spotlights will be started each week (google spreadsheet) and then I can average out the projections provided by everyone and have them available for viewing in another google spreadsheet. I don't think FBGs staff would have a problem with this (if so, Joe, please let me know). Let me work on the spreadsheet for releasing names and I'll get back to you.

Rules from last year:

2013 Player Spotlight Series

One of Footballguys best assets is our message board community. The Shark Pool is, in our view, the best place on the internet to discuss, debate and analyze all things fantasy football. In what's become an annual tradition, the Player Spotlight series is a key part of the preseason efforts. As many of you know, we consider the Player Spotlight threads the permanent record for analyzing the fantasy prospects of the player in question. This year, we plan to publish more than 140 offensive spotlights covering the vast majority of expected skill position starters.

As always we will post a list of players to be discussed each week. Those threads will remain open for the entire preseason, and should be a central point to discuss expectations for the player in question.

Thread Topic: Calvin Johnson, WR, Detroit Lions

Player Page Link: Calvin Johnson Player Page

Each article will include:

• Detailed viewpoint from a Footballguys staff member
  • Links to thoughtful viewpoints from around the Web
  • FBG Projections

The Rules

In order for this thread to provide maximum value, we ask that you follow a few simple guidelines:

• Focus commentary on the player (or players) in question, and your expectations for said player (or players)
  • Back up your expectations in whatever manner you deem appropriate; avoid posts that simply say "I hate him" or "He's the best"
  • Avoid redundancies or things like "good posting" ... this should be about incremental analysis or debate

While not a requirement, we strongly encourage you to provide your own projections for the player (players):

Projections should include:

• For QBs: Attempts, Completions, Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Ints, Rush Attempts, Rush Yards, Rush TDs
  • For RBs: Rushes, Rushing Yards, Rush TDs, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs
  • For WRs & TEs: Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TDs

Well, if we wanted to do the player spotlights, we could do it somewhat like this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12s7NTwSKOI9Eaksibnaz9QPaJekdPWPeymm975-nLqc/edit?usp=sharing

I like the idea of doing it team by team. It makes you think of the entire team and prevents people (including me) from projecting Foles as the #3 QB with Maclin and Cooper as WR33 and WR34.

I was thinking of having 3-4 spotlights per team. QB, RBs, WRs, TEs for each team. Simplify it a bit and I think it could make for better discussion.

Concerns:

• Is doing projections for 3 teams per week ok? Obviously you can just comment/project for those players/teams you're most interested in.
  • Will Joe hire a hitman to kill me if I try to post 11-12 threads every Thursday? We could start a subforum (although I think the projections and discussion would be helpful for the entire sharkpool...I just don't want overwhelm everyone). Whatever pleases the FBG gods.
Let me know your thoughts. If you guys don't want to do it, I can just scrap the idea.

koreansteve thank you for offering to take the initiative on this. I would like to participate. I have a suggestion that might make this process a bit simpler than the schedule you planned out.

Post a Team spotlight thread for each of the 32 teams. One master thread linking those 32 threads in one place.

The team spotlight thread would be similar to the player spotlight, but instead asking people to post projections for the team or specific players from the team. Which you can list.

Other useful things would be -

Coaching changes that could impact the team.

Personnel changes from free agency or the draft.

If you made one format for each of the team spotlight threads, then shouldn't be too much to have 33 of these threads all at once. People can add their thoughts on each one when they have time.

The coaching and personnel stuff could be edited in at a later time.

Each thread would likely get some good feedback from people who closely follow specific teams.

Anyhow that is my suggestion.

J
I very much disagree (respectfully). Yes, Brandon Weedon's spotlight from 2013 had 1 reply. But Calvin Johnson, Ryan Mathews, and MJD had 104, 163, and 97 replies, respectively. I really enjoyed posts from certain posters (TheDirtyWord particularly) and i've already finished my initial projections so I'd at least like to get my uninformed opinions out and see how they mesh with others.

Seems like it wouldn't be that difficult for us to start-up. Same rules as last year (see below). I'm happy to kinda start things up. Seems like there were maybe 5-7 names released each week. I can put together a schedule for which player spotlights will be started each week (google spreadsheet) and then I can average out the projections provided by everyone and have them available for viewing in another google spreadsheet. I don't think FBGs staff would have a problem with this (if so, Joe, please let me know). Let me work on the spreadsheet for releasing names and I'll get back to you.
Sorry but you're not understanding what I'm saying.

We changed the format to having " board comments when they were applicable"

With the lack of participation, it became a thing where we couldn't consistently get quality comments so we had to feature the board comments in the area with other internet opinions. Like we did with The Dirty Word here http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=Pasquino_2013_Spotlight_QB_Sam_Bradford

J

Hey Guys,

Just to be clear - we'll be doing the Player Spotlights again this year just like last year. But like last year, the comments from the Shark Pool will be used when we get good info. Some players had great comments last year. But for other players, the commentary just dried up.

So like last year, we'll post official Spotlight threads here in the Shark Pool and ask you guys to bring your A Game with great commentary. Then the ball will be in your court.

As I mentioned above, I'd kicked around the idea of turning it all over to the board but we're fine with providing the framework and throwing it out and organizing it so you guys can contribute. Be looking for the threads to start soon. Thanks for your contributions.

J

Hi slapdash,

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have specific changes you'd like to see for the navigation? Always interested to hear ideas that can make it better. We're pretty much locked into that type of horizontal menu bar at this point, but the menu items within the headers could be tweaked. What exactly would you like to see better there? Thanks.

J
I have a request. Let's make the preseason SOS easier to find in the preseason. Like clockwork every year I am always scrambling to find this during my drafts. Every yearI have to put out the APB/Amber Alert for the preseason SOS. Maybe you could list it in several places or just somewhere that is easily found. I think you've had it listed under articles in the past...

I agree with. Slapdash that the in-season site is easier to navigate, but I think that has something to do with all of the great preseason content you guys have. You offer a LOT of great stuff preseason - that makes stuff more difficult to find.

I would try and separate the IMPORTANT STUFF that people need for drafts (like SOS)...

Hi slapdash,

J
I have a request. Let's make the preseason SOS easier to find in the preseason. Like clockwork every year I am always scrambling to find this during my drafts. Every yearI have to put out the APB/Amber Alert for the preseason SOS. Maybe you could list it in several places or just somewhere that is easily found. I think you've had it listed under articles in the past...

I agree with. Slapdash that the in-season site is easier to navigate, but I think that has something to do with all of the great preseason content you guys have. You offer a LOT of great stuff preseason - that makes stuff more difficult to find.

I would try and separate the IMPORTANT STUFF that people need for drafts (like SOS)...
Cool. I can add a Strength Of Schedule link under "Tools" in the horizontal header.

J

Hey Guys,

Just to be clear - we'll be doing the Player Spotlights again this year just like last year. But like last year, the comments from the Shark Pool will be used when we get good info. Some players had great comments last year. But for other players, the commentary just dried up.

So like last year, we'll post official Spotlight threads here in the Shark Pool and ask you guys to bring your A Game with great commentary. Then the ball will be in your court.

As I mentioned above, I'd kicked around the idea of turning it all over to the board but we're fine with providing the framework and throwing it out and organizing it so you guys can contribute. Be looking for the threads to start soon. Thanks for your contributions.

J
:thumbup:

Hey Guys,

J
Thanks for clarifying-I read that wrong initially. :thumbup: Can't wait for these to roll out!

J
The biggest problem in the offseason seems to be inconsistent links. Every so often, I'll click on a link that will take me from a 2014 article to a 2013 article (the team reports had several initially, but I haven't found any problems lately as you plow through them all). This is always a risk for any site of this size, but it might be worth going through and moving/archiving everything from 2013 to create a fresh front end.

As an aside, one major improvement that I would LOVE to see is a "changes log" for your projections. It's not that important early on in the season, but when you get to the semi-daily updates in August, it'd be nice to see whether there was just one or two minor tweaks, or whether there were a slew of changes. I'd imagine you could have this automated to some extent so that it's not much work on your end. Not a game breaker or anything, but seeing the ADP changes versus your own projection changes would be a useful addition.

Oh, excellent. Seems like I (and a few other people) read that wrong. EXCELLENT. I liked last year's format with a FBG staff doing the writeup, picking the best 3 comments from the SP and then giving his projections and the average from the SP.

Look forward to seeing the player spotlight threads.

Oh, excellent. Seems like I (and a few other people) read that wrong. EXCELLENT. I liked last year's format with a FBG staff doing the writeup, picking the best 3 comments from the SP and then giving his projections and the average from the SP.

Look forward to seeing the player spotlight threads.
Thanks Steve.

We will be doing the same as last year but that was a little different than what you wrote. We'll pick comments from the internet at large. Hopefully that will be Shark Pool comments. But last year, Jason was extremely discouraged as the Shark Pool comments were great for some players, but almost totally dried up for other players. So we'll do what we did last year in using great comments as long as you guys give them. It's really up to you guys.

It's a fair bit of work to administer the threads for Jason so this year will sort of be our make or break year in how this goes. If we have great commentary, we'll keep the same format. But if commentary isn't strong, we'll have to reevaluate for 2015. It's up to you guys. I have faith in you.

J

If I could make a few suggestions:

1) I thought last year, and I don't mean to criticize, but the actual posting of the new PS's were inconsistent. Here were the postings of new PS's.

Tuesday, May 14

Thursday, May 23

Saturday, June 1

Saturday, June 15

Monday, July 1

Monday, July 15

Different lag times between new PS's and also 4 different days of the week, one of which was Saturday I don't think helped matters. And the times could range from Noon to Midnight. I had remembered in previous years that JW would post them almost like clockwork between 10-12 of every Monday (or it might have been Tuesday). My suggestion would be to re-introduce that discipline if possible.

2) I think the team-by-team idea has merit. Or at least some level of correlation between the players posted that week. Say you did AFC South one week. And that included QB's/RB's/TE's/DST's from all 4 teams. Or another way would be to do Tier 1/Tier 2 players at respective positions each week. For instance Week 1 - Tier 2 RB's and you could list based on collective FBG rankings 12 who ranked from 13-24.

3) One thing I always though was missing from each PS was previous years PS's for that player and a link to it. For instance, I think it would be a great idea to on say Matt Forte's 2014 PS, to also have his PS's from 2010-2013 linked as well. A) it gives you some historical perspective as to how he was viewed each off-season and B) it gives the FBG community some context to see which posters nailed their predictions and also who was awful thereby providing levels of credibility within the PS thread. Something to think about...

Anyway - like the fact that you are doing these again. I hope the FBG community responds. It's always been one of my favorite things to engage in here and also helps greatly with my prep process.

Users who are viewing this thread