What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should we have a Committee to decide the NFC South? And now several of the 7 AFC Playoff teams are starting a back up QB! (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Should the Committee have the power to pick a team from another division to win the NFC South?
And what do we do with these 3-4 Playoff teams that are rolling along on their back up Quarterback?

This is why as a Saints fan I couldn't really care less about a NFCS division title. Sure it gets a banner in the stadium but it also gets your doors blown off by Dallas in the first round, and a worse draft pick to boot.

If the college football playoff were 14 teams no one would complain. Well, they'd complain because that's what people do, but it wouldn't be warranted.

The true "bubble" teams in the NFC are 6-6, the same record as the Falcons and only one game better than the Bucs/Saints. In the AFC the Texans at 7-5 could be considered to take the NFC South because they played all of them, but they have lost to both the Falcons and *gasp* the Panthers.

So, to answer your hypothetical. No.

... what do we do with these 3-4 Playoff teams that are rolling along on their back up Quarterback?
Treat them like the red shirt guy on an episode of the original Star Trek that lands on a hostile planet when only four people get off. Kirk, Spock, Bones, and the unknown red shirt.
Guess who gets eliminated.
I was at a flea market once that had some real nice Star Trek replica jerseys. I didn't buy one because my size only came in red.

... what do we do with these 3-4 Playoff teams that are rolling along on their back up Quarterback?
Treat them like the red shirt guy on an episode of the original Star Trek that lands on a hostile planet when only four people get off. Kirk, Spock, Bones, and the unknown red shirt.
Guess who gets eliminated.
I was at a flea market once that had some real nice Star Trek replica jerseys. I didn't buy one because my size only came in red.
We could just put the Houston Texans in the NFC South and swap out the Carolina Panthers, flip them like the NCAA does

I don't get the desire to conflate the NFL and college.

The NFL has a clearly laid out playoff structure. There is no room for subjectivity.

College football has had this exact system for years. The CFP has always been this way. There IS room for subjectivity. I get it. You disagree with the decision. But the system has been this for years now.

I've heard multiple times how "Should we do it this way in the NFL?!" No. That's not the NFL's system. The NFL is making a whole lot of money. Why would they change the playoff structure?

You can't compare the 2.

Any team that has met the criteria to make the playoffs but is starting a backup qb will not be allowed to participate,as one committee has set the precedent.
So The New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles will both have Super Bowl victories they must forfeit.
Sorry,but the committee has spoken.

I'm ok if the NFL wants to give the 4 champions of each division an auto-playoff berth. I have a bigger concern that being the champion of an awful division justifies a playoff home game. I'd much prefer it's just 4 auto-bids and 3 wild cards and seeding follows record only. If the best teams all play in the same division, I'm actually ok with that.

I'm ok if the NFL wants to give the 4 champions of each division an auto-playoff berth. I have a bigger concern that being the champion of an awful division justifies a playoff home game. I'd much prefer it's just 4 auto-bids and 3 wild cards and seeding follows record only. If the best teams all play in the same division, I'm actually ok with that.
Yes there is no valid reason for the NFC South winner being guaranteed a home game, it should go by record first.

YearTeamRecordDivision WonPlayoff Result
2014Carolina Panthers7-8-1NFC SouthWon wild card round vs. Arizona, lost divisional round vs. Seattle
2011Denver Broncos8-8AFC WestWon wild card round vs. Pittsburgh, lost divisional round vs. New England
2010Seattle Seahawks7-9NFC WestWon wild card round vs. New Orleans, lost divisional round vs. Chicago
2008San Diego Chargers8-8AFC WestWon wild card round vs. Indianapolis, lost divisional round vs. Pittsburgh
1985Cleveland Browns8-8AFC CentralLost divisional round vs. Miami*

I’d think a team like Dallas/Philly would enjoy giving the wild card beatdown. The winner of that division likely has a tougher wild card round opponent, but is obviously at home.

The seeding would be the only gripe, but it will only be that way in these extreme cases where one division is so woefully behind the others.

I guess you could add stipulations. *If division winner as .500 or worse they forfeit their right to a playoff home game if wild card opponent has a better record.

So, ya know, maybe just let it play out the way it has for the entirety of our lifetimes.
Welcome to the 1987 Rose Bowl presented by Prudential

No 1 Michigan vs No 2 Washington
for the National Championship

We welcome those of you that just watched Texas lose to Miami in the Cotton Bowl
And we want to welcome those of you that just watched FSU battle Alabama in the Sugar Bowl

I'm **** Enberg with Merlin Olsen by my side today

And we overlooked Kenny Pickett missing a couple of weeks for the Steelers.
Only the Patriots have been worse at scoring on offense over the last 3-4 weeks.
Thought I saw where the Steelers have scored 10-16-10 their last 3 games and the Patriots have scored like 40 points over the last 4 games.

The O/U should be like 24 and Vegas actually has one of the lowest I have ever seen at 30 right now.

I think the current playoff structure is what it should be. Winning your division gets you in. But it is wild that there are 4 AFC teams that currently have a winning record that would miss the playoffs if they started today. All while the NFC South Champion very well may have a losing record.

I don't think the NFL needs to change anything. You want divisional games to matter. You want each division to be alive for as long as possible, that way fans keep showing up.

I love that the 3 teams are all 6-7, but what is really great is that they also are tied for the last wild card spot

Aaron Rodgers
Justin Herbert
Joe Burrow
DeShaun Watson
Kenny Pickett
Tony Richardson
CJ Stroud
Ryan Tannehill was injured then benched
Mac Jones was the Starter, also benched
Trevor Lawrence was able to fight thru what looked like a major ankle injury

Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Russ Wilson, Josh Allen and Tua are the only remaining 5 starting QBs in the AFC
Add Lawrence so you have 6 total.
How many will be there come the Playoffs?

If Falcons and Bucs both win on Sunday the Falcons would be on top of the South and the Bucs would be the #7 seed. Should be a fun 4 weeks.
It's completely fun. If the Eagles have to go on the road for the 1st week of the playoffs, that's a big story, and makes the playoffs more interesting.

People act like this is some national tragedy. Who's the victim here, Eagles fans? We can all live with that. :wink:

This is what makes divisional games so important, and divisional games are some of the most wild, unpredictable games.

Users who are viewing this thread