What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SI.com article on the replacement referees (1 Viewer)

As far as how I feel about the refs... I'd like to have the normal refs back, yes. But if the regular refs won't agree to requiring a subset of the officials be full time, and if they won't agree to having a bench so subpar officials can be replaced midseason rather than having to wait until the end of the year? Then I'm ok with having some subpar officiating for a few weeks. Until either the regular refs agree, or until the replacements gain experience and the regular refs can be permanently let go.

The net improvements overall in officiating are worth a few weeks of subpar officiating if that's the only way to get the changes made. These changes should have been made a decade ago.

I could see this panning out to getting dribbling called in the NBA. I think it is ridiculous sometimes how a star gets away with stuff that a college kid can't. With these officials there is no Revis island.

Yeah, I don't think they've put the new one out yet.But in any event, the 12 men on the field rule was changed after the Super Bowl, when the Giants had 12 men on the field late in the game. And everyone after realized it might be worth giving up 5 yards and down over to have an extra defender back there if time is really short.

So in the offseason they made 12 men on the field a dead ball foul. I just haven't seen the literal wording, but the articles on it mentioned the whistle would blow when the snap was imminent.
Was this the one where one of the Giants was busting his ### to get off the field, and then Belichick challenged it? Sounds familiar... do I have that right? So now there is no sprinting to get off the field? 12 in the huddle on D and you're getting flagged?
I thought all 12 defenders played defense on the Super Bowl play... but just googled and found a deadspin article that suggests NBC made it sound that way but actually Justin Tuck was running off the field, so wasn't playing defense. I don't recall hearing that part (that everyone didn't play defense) in the days of discussion that followed.Though there was no challenge by Belichick, the refs just called the penalty. You can't challenge in the final 2 minutes of a game.

So the answer, I imagine, is yes you can still sprint to get off the field. But if you haven't made it off the field by the time the ref thinks the snap is about to happen, he is supposed to call the penalty. Would have been nice if NBC had shown a replay of what happened tonight with it, but they didn't so no clue how the timing of it went tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
not a single current Football Bowl Subdivision official can be found among the 136 replacements signed and prepped by the NFL. Instead, the league staffed up by drawing from the high school ranks and lower divisions, including some officials who had retired or been dismissed.
:eek:
RIGHT?Why are people not getting this?
That's a really interesting fact, though I also wonder if it boils down to the fact that Football Bowl Subdivision officials are eyeing a gig in the NFL, and don't want to be labeled scabs by the NFLRA.

not a single current Football Bowl Subdivision official can be found among the 136 replacements signed and prepped by the NFL. Instead, the league staffed up by drawing from the high school ranks and lower divisions, including some officials who had retired or been dismissed.
That's a really interesting fact, though I also wonder if it boils down to the fact that Football Bowl Subdivision officials are eyeing a gig in the NFL, and don't want to be labeled scabs by the NFLRA.
That quote is in the OP, Tom. CrazyFox clipped the first sentence of it...
This summer, however, on the mandate of the NCAA's officiating supervisors, not a single current Football Bowl Subdivision official can be found among the 136 replacements signed and prepped by the NFL. Instead, the league staffed up by drawing from the high school ranks and lower divisions, including some officials who had retired or been dismissed.

'Raider Nation said:
'Stompin said:
This summer, however, on the mandate of the NCAA's officiating supervisors, not a single current Football Bowl Subdivision official can be found among the 136 replacements signed and prepped by the NFL. Instead, the league staffed up by drawing from the high school ranks and lower divisions, including some officials who had retired or been dismissed.
Thanks, RN, missed connecting the dots on this and the earlier thread comments about the gentleman's agreement between NCAA and NFL to not step on each other's toes. Still seems like the mandate could be still be motivated by the symbiotic relationship the NCAA may have as the farm team of NFL refs, but at any rate this is not root of the issue.To me it seems like you have a monopolistic corporation not afraid to use the leverage it has against its employees, and a group of employees trying to augment benefits that they are already lucky to have. Hard to pick a side in this one, IMHO, which may account for the lacklustre "meh" reaction of even a die-hard fantasy/NFL board like this.

This does not marginalize the amount of work NFL refs have to do -- it's clear that not just anyone can walk off the street and do a good job. We've seen some horrific results in the preseason, and the short term potential can actually be dangerous for players. But I am not convinced the long term potential is as drastic, as being an NFL ref has a steep learning curve regardless even if you are a bowl-level ref. People -- both the onfield refs and those who are playing and watching the game -- learn and adjust.

Not saying that's right, just trying to see it objectively as a business negotiation -- the NFL simply has more leverage in this situation than the NFLRA, and thus is not motivated to settle without more concessions.

'Raider Nation said:
'Stompin said:
That's not the quote. The quote is:

This summer, however, on the mandate of the NCAA's officiating supervisors—of whom those from the five top conferences are all NFL officials—not a single current Football Bowl Subdivision official can be found among the 136 replacements signed and prepped by the NFL. Instead, the league staffed up by drawing from the high school ranks and lower divisions, including some officials who had retired or been dismissed.
So in other words, some of the regular NFL refs are the supervisors of refs for the top college conferences. And they would not let any of their refs go work for the NFL. So the refs are the ones who stopped the NFL from getting the most qualified replacements.

Jeffrey Pash was talking about this on whatever the NFL show is on CBS Sports network. Was actually a decent show, caught a little of it. Had Boomer, Cowher, JB and... think it was Simms for the fourth person.

some of the regular NFL refs are the supervisors of refs for the top college conferences. And they would not let any of their refs go work for the NFL. So the refs are the ones who stopped the NFL from getting the most qualified replacements.
Can you blame them? That's not underhanded. It's smart.

some of the regular NFL refs are the supervisors of refs for the top college conferences. And they would not let any of their refs go work for the NFL. So the refs are the ones who stopped the NFL from getting the most qualified replacements.
Well, I think it's at best ethically questionable as a conflict of interest. And one where they are seeking personal gain at the expense of their employees.It's also smart. But yes, it's underhanded if that's the motivation for it.

Well, I think it's at best ethically questionable as a conflict of interest. And one where they are seeking personal gain at the expense of their employees.It's also smart. But yes, it's underhanded if that's the motivation for it.
Interesting. Suppose you were in a contract dispute with your employer, and you were in the unique position of being able to dictate your (hopefully) temporary replacement. If your ultimate goal was to be appreciated and recognized as an indispensable asset to your company, would you recommend the most highly qualified person, or someone whose skills cannot remotely match your own?

'Raider Nation said:
GAME 1 REFEREE RECAP:

[*]Missed defensive holding call against Victor Cruz. Would have changed the complexion of the game.

[*]Head referee gives college signal for substitution infraction instead of NFL signal for delay of game.

[*]Linesman spots the ball for a first down. Referee signals 3rd down. The action is delayed.

[*][From NBC] A blown whistle to flag Dallas for 12 men on the field. But the Giants didn’t snap the ball, and the only time that flag is thrown without a snap is when 12 men are in the offensive huddle.

Overall grade: B-

On to the weekend with the CRAPPIEST of the crappy refs!

:scared:
Wow man....you seem really angry about this.Tell me...what do you expect the NFL to do? Roll over and give in to every stupid demand of the Refs union? Pay them 10k a game + a retirement package we'd all envy for part time work that, face it, really isn't THAT special?

We get it...these refs aren't as good, and really shouldn't be calling these games. There's a good chance they're going to change the outcome of a game or two, or MAYBE even 5 or 6 before this is all said and done. But there wasn't a better option, and that's the crux of the matter. Regardless of how succesful the NFL is, that doesn't mean they should just throw money away on part time employess who are, in the end, very replaceable. Whine and moan about it all you want, but it is what it is. A better answer is to simply enjoy the games knowing the officiating might be a little sub par at times but that EVERY team is playing with them, and pray your team isn't one that comes up on the short end of the stick as a result (or, they get one back for one they lose.)

'Raider Nation said:
'Greg Russell said:
As far as the refs, if it wasn't for being told these are replacement refs, I bet most fans would have had no clue they weren't a normal crew. They didn't seem to miss more than you see in any game the normal refs call. Most of the mistakes they made, like using a wrong hand signal, were minor and had no real impact on the game. You see the normal refs each game miss any number of calls like the holding near the end zone.Any given week of 16 games officiated by the normal refs, you probably see at least 6 games that were not only worse officiated than this one, but far worse.
I don't disagree with any of that. But again, this was Goodell's hand-picked, cream-of-the-crop "referee crew which will embarrass us the least." If we get through this weekend with limited controversy, I will begin to accept the idea that the regular refs are replaceable. But we are FAR from that point.
To be clear...there is a big difference between believing the regular refs are replaceable, and believing that these guys out there now are the right replacements. These guys are short term emergency replacements, the vasy majority of whom have no hope of finding a permanent job even if the regular refs never return.

'Greg Russell said:
As far as how I feel about the refs... I'd like to have the normal refs back, yes. But if the regular refs won't agree to requiring a subset of the officials be full time, and if they won't agree to having a bench so subpar officials can be replaced midseason rather than having to wait until the end of the year? Then I'm ok with having some subpar officiating for a few weeks. Until either the regular refs agree, or until the replacements gain experience and the regular refs can be permanently let go. The net improvements overall in officiating are worth a few weeks of subpar officiating if that's the only way to get the changes made. These changes should have been made a decade ago.
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

Well, I think it's at best ethically questionable as a conflict of interest. And one where they are seeking personal gain at the expense of their employees.

It's also smart. But yes, it's underhanded if that's the motivation for it.
Can't see it as underhanded at all. The expectation was that these refs would work the preseason and maybe one or two regular season games. And there's a trickle down affect...grab 100 DI refs, and DI has to grab 100 DII refs, who than have to grab....and so on. It's too chaotic throughout all levels of football, and would be inherently unfair to almost everyone involved. The NFL wants the goodwill of the NCAA...I'm sure they signed off on the plan.Instead they reached toward the bottom where the return of the previous NFL refs would have a far more minimal impact on college football. Should the NFL decide to let the old refs/union go completely, new refs would come from DI as they would be getting hired for more permanent positions.

'Raider Nation said:
GAME 1 REFEREE RECAP:

[*]Missed defensive holding call against Victor Cruz. Would have changed the complexion of the game.

[*]Head referee gives college signal for substitution infraction instead of NFL signal for delay of game.

[*]Linesman spots the ball for a first down. Referee signals 3rd down. The action is delayed.

[*][From NBC] A blown whistle to flag Dallas for 12 men on the field. But the Giants didn’t snap the ball, and the only time that flag is thrown without a snap is when 12 men are in the offensive huddle.

B- is a better grade I would have given to the regular officials on most games over the past couple of years. It was only one ghame but I thought the replacements did a credible job last night and certainly no worse then Ed Hochuli's crew.

Interesting. Suppose you were in a contract dispute with your employer, and you were in the unique position of being able to dictate your (hopefully) temporary replacement. If your ultimate goal was to be appreciated and recognized as an indispensable asset to your company, would you recommend the most highly qualified person, or someone whose skills cannot remotely match your own?
That doesn't change the fact that the refs are even more responsible for what happens on the field right now. All the talk of safety was obviously a gigantic lie. If the refs were so concerned about safety problems with the replacements, then why would they use their position in another job to keep out guys who would be better able to protect the players? All so that temporary refs wouldn't make them look like they're replacable? So they very consciously put their financial gain over the safety of the players not once, but twice?

That doesn't change the fact that the refs are even more responsible for what happens on the field right now. All the talk of safety was obviously a gigantic lie. If the refs were so concerned about safety problems with the replacements, then why would they use their position in another job to keep out guys who would be better able to protect the players? All so that temporary refs wouldn't make them look like they're replacable? So they very consciously put their financial gain over the safety of the players not once, but twice?
I am not sure that I buy the argument that the regular officials have much of an impact on the safety of the game.

The college refs should organize a strike to protest this just for the LOLs imo

I am not sure that I buy the argument that the regular officials have much of an impact on the safety of the game.
I don't buy it at all. But that's the argument the regular refs have made. So for them to actively prevent the NFL from using more qualified replacements, according to their own argument, they're stepping in and making a potentially unsafe situation even more unsafe than it needs to be.I don't think that's the case, but that's the case the regular refs are making for themselves.

'Raider Nation said:
GAME 1 REFEREE RECAP:

B- is a better grade I would have given to the regular officials on most games over the past couple of years. It was only one ghame but I thought the replacements did a credible job last night and certainly no worse then Ed Hochuli's crew.
There has to be an objective data-based way of actually determining how the replacement crew did in this game compared to a regular crew.It was my perception that the NFL/NFLRA review referee and crew performance in every game, every week, looking for calls made, called missed, consistency of penalty calling, whether they made the right ruling on the field or not, etc.

Not sure if there is access to this data for the regular joe, but one could use it to simply compare last night's performance of the replacement refs against the single game average for the regular refs to determine how they stacked up against a defined set of criteria.

And I would imagine that this game, at least, was not that far off from the regular ref mean.

Yes, there were some missed calls, as there are every game, but they seemed to be calling them or missing them consistently. Both teams' Olines held and were not called for it in shotgun situations. I saw what looked to me like defensive holding committed against Dez Bryant that wasn't called just as it wasn't for Cruz.

There are likely going to be blown calls this weekend, but I don't think this crew did that much of a worse job than the regulars.

That hypothetical doesn't really touch on the conflict of interest part. You're missing that third entity that would represent the college conference.Someone is getting paid to be a head of officials for the college conference. Any decisions he makes should be in the best interest of that conference, and of the employees he is the supervisor for.If his decision stands to give him some outside financial benefit, then he has a conflict of interest. And restricting his employees from potentially moving upwards along their career path so it benefits him financially would definitely be of questionable ethics.

I'm with the NFL on this one. Refs are complaining about a 5%-11% pay raise for the next 7 years while making $149,000 for ~25-30 weeks of work.
Seriously. #### these guys. I actually think the new refs did pretty well last night.The replacement refs will get experience and those that don't make the grade can get replaced by college refs next year.

The scabs did a great job last night. So far this thread is really blowing everything way out of proportion.

'jonessed said:
#### these guys. I actually think the new refs did pretty well last night.
The scabs did a great job last night. So far this thread is really blowing everything way out of proportion.
No argument.I think people keep missing the fact that this was deemed by Goodell to be the best replacement crew, which is why he showcased them on the big stage last night. He did not want to be embarrassed right out of the gate. Nobody is saying that the crew last night was a disaster. They weren't. I would just ask that we save our overall opinions until the games on Monday night are finished. If these refs get through 16 games unscathed, the regular referees will lose all negotiating leverage. Then it gets interesting.

'jonessed said:
#### these guys. I actually think the new refs did pretty well last night.
No argument.I think people keep missing the fact that this was deemed by Goodell to be the best replacement crew, which is why he showcased them on the big stage last night. He did not want to be embarrassed right out of the gate. Nobody is saying that the crew last night was a disaster. They weren't. I would just ask that we save our overall opinions until the games on Monday night are finished. If these refs get through 16 games unscathed, the regular referees will lose all negotiating leverage. Then it gets interesting.
With replay, there is a chance of reversing a bad call. This is a reason why officials in general are against replay, it devalues their worth. We will watch the games, fans will adjust to whatever new level the scabs establish. Regular refs losing leverage every day.

Honestly, we haven't seen enough to make a judgement yet. One game is not enough.

Like Raider said, the NFL probably put out it's best crew last night. In fairness to them, they did well. I think the head ref last night was exceptional considering the nerves he was probably dealing with, the short prep time and the first "real" speed of an NFL game. I think his poise kept the rest of the crew looking like it was running smooth. Kudos to him. He should get picked up by the NFL full time.

I really tried to watch with no bias when it came to the refereeing. The only call I thought that was missed badly (considering all I could see was the TV broadcast) was the PI on Cruz in the endzone. Of course maybe the real refs would have missed it as well, but honestly, it was pretty obvious and I think it would have been called 9 out of 10 times. Almost every time there's a mugging that bad on a shortened field, especially in the endzone - it's called.

Other than that I think the replacements did a hell of a job. Score +1 for the NFL.

But again - it's early. Very early.

Screwup: Missed holding on Cruz near the goaline.

Damage Done: Potentially cost the Giants 4 points.

Screwup: Called clipping instead of block in the back.

Damage Done: 3 yards of field position on a drive where the Giants ended up punting from around midfield.

Screwup: Said "half the distance" instead of "half the distance to the goal" when announcing a penalty.

Damage Done: According to RN, a large contingent of casual football fans are unable to figure out that the ball moving from the 3 yard line to the 1.5 yard line means it was half the distance to that big blue area that everyone is trying to get to. Instead, they mistakenly assume that the referees meant half the distance to the moon, are instantly confused, and end up killing themselves.

In reality, I would put this game around the 85th-90th percentile of quality of referee'ing in a normal game. They were absolutely spot-on perfect down the stretch. Getting that Martellus Bennett call in the endzone correct was huge as almost everyone else thought it looked like offensive interference in real-time and then saw that it was the right call on replay. On a play like that there's a 50/50 shot that it gets screwed up and called the wrong way. There were lots of penalties in the 4th quarter and they were all correct. They had the balls to throw a flag on the potentially game-ending play and no one had a problem with it because it was absolutely the right call.

With all those flags in the 4th, there's a pretty good chance that something would get screwed up down the stretch whether you have the original refs or the replacements, and they nailed it.

Bottom Line: This was a close game between two bitter division rivals in primetime on national television and pretty much no one in the entire game thread complained that their team was getting screwed by the refs. Go back to last year and you'd be hard pressed to find a Browns/Cardinals game that only 6 people were watching that didn't have more complaints about how they were only losing because the refs suck.

For those with a short attention span, another example tonight of this sideshow. Make sure to watch his second call as well.

If you missed the news, these clowns are now officially working week 1 of the regular season. I guess saving a few bucks is more important than the integrity of the game. Lord knows, the NFL is cash-strapped right now! And please save me the argument of "Well, the regular refs make mistakes too." They absolutely do. They are human. But these guys are a DISASTER! If you've seen a few preseason games, you can come to no other conclusion. I urge you to read the article below. It's eye-opening.

By Pablo Torre, SI.com

Ed Hochuli suffers from what he calls the sickness. In a typical year, around mid-May, the NFL heralds its upcoming season by mailing to game officials an arcane, hundred-question rules test, including such queries as: On an onside kick from the A35, A1 is the first to touch the kick at the A42, and A2 then recovers the kick at the A46. During the kick, B1 blocks A3 below the waist at the A44. What's the call and why?

But this year, well before the NFL Referees Association's collective bargaining agreement was set to expire on May 31, the zebras learned that no exam would be forthcoming. And so Hochuli, the NFLRA's famously mesomorphic elder statesman, preempted his union's impending—and now ongoing—lockout in the nerdiest way imaginable. For three months now, the 22-year veteran has been e-mailing his 120 fellow officials his own weekly test, replete with video clips.

What's more, on each of the past eight Mondays, always at 9:30 p.m. EDT, the 61-year-old has moderated a voluntary hour-long conference call in which participants dissect the test's thorniest questions. On Aug. 13, for example, 95 officials devoted 30 minutes to discussing the fouls that require a 10-second clock runoff.

"The sickness," says Hochuli, proudly, "is that some of us actually enjoy these things."

Which helps illuminate the larger nausea plaguing his cohort in the midst of the second-biggest labor dispute that the NFL has endured in as many seasons. At bottom is the locked-out officials' feeling of disrespect, wrapped up in pay (in 2011, the average salary for NFL officials was $149,000, lowest of the four major American sports) and pension issues, echoing the protests of the league's players amid their own lockout a year ago. As before, the terms of this debate are in public dispute. To review:

1. The NFL is proposing compensation increases of 5% to 11% per year over a proposed seven-year term for each official. The NFLRA, which sets its own pay scale but relies on the league to provide the aggregate pie to slice (last year it was $11.93 million), wants an aggregate increase of $2.2 million in 2012, and a $16.5 million boost over five years.

2. The NFL wants to transition officials, whom it deems part-time workers, from their "defined benefit" retirement plans to "defined contribution" 401(k) programs. The NFLRA wants to preserve the existing plan, shielding pensions from the stock market, but is willing to settle on grandfathering in current officials.

3. The NFL proposes hiring three additional crews (21 new officials) and introducing full-time referees, which it says will improve officiating. The NFLRA calls this an "attempt to divert attention" from the two previous issues. The union is not opposed to the notion of more crews and full-time officials, it says—if the two sides can agree on compensation.

Both sides met for federal mediation three times in July, followed by a short meeting earlier this month. As Scott Green, the NFLRA president and an official himself, sums it up, "We didn't make any progress." Asked for an educated guess on when this all might be resolved, another official speculated, "Two or three weeks into the season—but I have never seen our union so tight as they are now." (NFL execs said last week that they were prepared to open the season with replacements.)

In the meantime America's preferred on-field product is stalling. During the last referee lockout, which lasted two weeks in 2001, including the opening games of the regular season, replacements generally consisted of high-level college officials. Not the cream of the crop—those are the NFL-identified and formally scouted "finalists" who sit on a waiting list for league duty. But those '01 replacement refs at least could claim they were close.

This summer, however, on the mandate of the NCAA's officiating supervisors—of whom those from the five top conferences are all NFL officials—not a single current Football Bowl Subdivision official can be found among the 136 replacements signed and prepped by the NFL. Instead, the league staffed up by drawing from the high school ranks and lower divisions, including some officials who had retired or been dismissed. (At least the situation has offered one breakthrough: Line judge Shannon Eastin, of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, became the first female NFL official to work a game.)

The NFL has asked coaches and players not to speak to the media about the replacement officials. In case they do, the league supplied talking points on the subject. Among them: "No, we don't agree that coaches and players will play fast and loose with the rules if the regular officials are not working."

Then, on Aug. 5, as if on cue, replacement referee Craig Ochoa, formerly of the Lingerie Football League, went out before the preseason-opening Hall of Fame Game between the Cardinals and the Saints and misidentified the winner of the coin flip.

A comedy of errors continued apace, ranging from an inexplicable holding penalty against Giants punt returner Jayron Hosley, to a touchback called after Bills special-teamer Ruvell Martin downed a punt at the four-yard line.

So bad was the first weekend of preseason that the NFLRA, which had circulated a list of 10 meaningful errors observed in the Aug. 9 Patriots-Saints tune-up, including a missed touchdown and an unflagged helmet-to-helmet hit, suddenly declined to do the same in Week 2. (Players get flagged for rubbing it in; refs, it seems, are above it.) Had they chimed in, they would have had plenty of material to work with. Before halftime of the Cowboys-Chargers warmup last Saturday, for instance, the replacements failed to return the ball to Dallas after a flagged helmet-to-helmet hit by San Diego safety Eric Weddle resulted in an interception by his teammate, Donald Butler. And this was after officials met for a lengthy pow-wow—a common sight lately—and subsequent booth replay.

Funny now, sure. In August. In the preseason. Even Patriots coach Bill Belichick mustered a chuckle when asked about the situation. Be certain, however: There will be no chuckling in September or, heaven forbid, January, if it gets that far.

One obvious explanation for so many missteps: NFL speed. "It's mind-blowing," says locked-out side judge Keith Parham, 44, a former Big East official who was a rookie last season. "And I officiated [Cardinals receiver] Larry Fitzgerald and [Jets cornerback] Darrelle Revis in college. Even linemen are moving at a fast pace. It's a blur."

That reality has sparked questions about how to prevent comedy (say, missed holds) from metastasizing into tragedy (head injuries). The NFL, through a spokesman, maintains that there is "more medical infrastructure in place than ever to protect players," pointing to the certified trainers watching from upstairs booths, the replacements' three months of training, and sidelines stacked with video monitors and officiating supervisors.

But it has struck the NFLPA and retired players alike as incongruous to rely on officials with no NFL experience, given commissioner Roger Goodell's strict safety regime, which included a memo last November calling on officials to serve as first responders by helping identify concussions.

Asked earlier this month by SI whether he was nervous about using replacements in the regular season, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith stressed that safety was a prime worry. He graded his concern as a 12—on a scale of 1 to 10.

"If you want the game to be as safe as possible, you need the people who live the rules to police it," says former Giants wideout Amani Toomer, who played during the 2001 lockout. "Players are already figuring out what they can get away with. It's going to get very ugly."

In nonlockout years, the NFL's officiating ladder mirrors that of a classic apprenticeship. "You start at peewee," says Green, "then work junior high, jayvee, high school, small college, then D-I," usually over an average of 15 years. Once in the league, the dues-paying persists. A first-year official is virtually never given the head referee's white hat or assigned to a crew alongside another rookie. The burden of acclimating to the regular season is just too heavy.

"The difference in intensity from the preseason, when players are trying not to get hurt, to playing in a stadium full of 85,000 fans is astronomical," says Parham. "Those seven refs that are going to work Giants-Cowboys [in the Sept. 5 season opener] will be scared to death."

Not sold on the scariness? Consider the complexity of the pro rules and the seemingly infinite permutations that compel weekly conference calls to understand them. The official NFL rule book is 75,934 words long. The NFL case book, full of practice scenarios and rulings, is 77,260. The NFL instant-replay case book is 25,617. And the Penalty Enforcement Hopper book (hopper being ref-slang for play), the widely accepted manual that Hochuli wrote to help officials categorize infractions and determine their enforcements, is 11,519. Together, that's 190,330 words—almost 10,000 more than the New Testament. (The Bible doesn't even have diagrams.)

Invariably, during lunch at his day job—student accounts manager at Johns Hopkins's School of Advanced International Studies in Washington, D.C.—Parham finds himself heading to the library, NFL case book in tow. Hochuli, a partner at the Phoenix law firm of Jones, Skelton & Hochuli, still spends 10 hours per week, minimum, reviewing the rules.

Such workloads are typical. The NFLRA estimates that for 85% of its membership, officiating is their second job. That list includes Green, a partner at The Lafayette Group, a government contracting firm, who points out, "We've had guys lose their [non-NFL] jobs because of the time commitment."

Sunday-specific though the gig may appear, that commitment includes a post-game crew breakdown on Monday; the NFL's grading of each official's last game, which arrives on Tuesday; challenges for that grade on Wednesday; a test on Thursday—usually 25 multipart questions; travel and a pregame crew meeting on Saturday; and then the big, public exam on Sunday, followed by return travel.

Added up, it can be grueling. But at his desk in D.C., where a scrap of loose-leaf with a mnemonic device for under-two-minute rules hangs on the wall, Parham longs for those days. It's funny, he says: When he made his first NFL crew last year, his boss at Johns Hopkins gushed up and down the hallway. His Facebook account exploded with congratulations whenever he was spotted on television.

And now? Like Hochuli, he can't help but feel the sickness. Parham misses being tested, he admits. He even misses being booed.
The NFL game is so over-officiated now that it disrupts the flow of the game..regardless of it is the regulars or replacements.

RN was correct. It was a diaster...apocalypse...armageddon...dogs and cats living together.

I think the league should stop this embarrassment immediately and get the Raiders a longer snapper.

RN was correct. It was a diaster...apocalypse...armageddon...dogs and cats living together.I think the league should stop this embarrassment immediately and get the Raiders a longer snapper.
Is a diaster a good thing?
It was for the Chargers.As I previously stated...NFL refs are a dime a dozen and a dime a half million with enough time.NFL players and long snappers aren't.The Raiders embarrassed the league far more than any official did this weekend. Of course I guess they (the Raiders) could have been paid off by the mob or Vegas.

Also, I respect everyone's view, but frankly I'm stunned at the :shrug: reaction over this. Wait until you're playing against Calvin Johnson, and he hauls in a 60-yard TD pass to beat you in your fantasy game. Then on the replay, you see that the left tackle MUGGED the defensive end, and the referee blew an easy holding call.
Happens all the time with regular refs. :shrug:
Exactly. RN - if your team had come down with that hail marry @Buffalo last yr I would've had to buy a new tv among other things; the LT not getting called for tackling Merriman still might be the worst non-hold call I've ever seen. Granted I think the Bills got some breaks with a few calls earlier in that game. The point is though the regular refs are so very far from perfect.

I posted in the other thread, PFT had an article with a former NFL head of officials, who said he would have graded the officials on Sunday with a B.

The fact that they're going into the regular season with these "refs" just proves the nfl only cares about one thing, the almighty dollar. What they inexplicably fail to see is that this lockout and insistence on lowballing their real refs does not and will not help them financially. I blame a handful of the super greedy owners who gauge anyone they can for a buck but mostly I blame Goodell. The worst commissioner in all of sports and that's saying something. Greed is going to kill this league.
:goodposting: I hope all 16 games in week 1 end in controversy.
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

Somebody close to the game needs to have the courage to really step up and say something. We've heard comments here and there but mostly these writers and announcers are too scared of losing their jobs and some of them (Peter King) worship the league and it's players and wouldn't dream of upsetting the league in any way. NBC should spend the entire pregame show next wednesday with Costas blasting the league for this. Then during the game, Al and Chris need to hammer the point home every time a call is botched. My prediction is that something major will be blown in the opener, talk radio and the internet will explode with anger and something gets done before that Sunday. Then the replacements will work one time for that week 1 Sunday and the real guys will be back by week 2. This is an absolute joke.
I misjudged the boneheadedness of Goodell

thanks for sharing! It is not shocking that this piece has drawn the usual divide (owners/league vs players/refs).When the product on the field becomes inferior, the brand suffers. We are vested (or invested) in the outcome of every single regular and post season game, I would want that outcome to be determined by the rules set in place and enforced with competent officials. We all remember the storm over Megatron's non-touchdown vs CHI, imagine a few instances like that every week.Week 1 will be very telling. The NFL will try to muzzle their partners, but the (lack of) quality to the end product with replacement refs will be had to ignore.
1. The refs aren't the product, the players are.2. Imagine the storm when the same thing that happens every week with the regular happens happens with the replacement refs?
The product on the field has suffered. Players are getting hurt and the outcome of ball games are being affected. I would love to imagine the "storm" when the regular refs come back. Where do I sign up?

As far as how I feel about the refs... I'd like to have the normal refs back, yes. But if the regular refs won't agree to requiring a subset of the officials be full time, and if they won't agree to having a bench so subpar officials can be replaced midseason rather than having to wait until the end of the year? Then I'm ok with having some subpar officiating for a few weeks. Until either the regular refs agree, or until the replacements gain experience and the regular refs can be permanently let go. The net improvements overall in officiating are worth a few weeks of subpar officiating if that's the only way to get the changes made. These changes should have been made a decade ago.

I posted in the other thread, PFT had an article with a former NFL head of officials, who said he would have graded the officials on Sunday with a B.
interesting juxtaposition

'Sam Quentin said:
interesting juxtaposition
:confused:

The two statements have nothing to do with each other. What do you find interesting?

Users who are viewing this thread