What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sidney Rice - a possible return to fantasy gold? (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

The Charlotte Observer expects the Panthers to show interest in free agent Sidney Rice but at the "right price."
Rice (torn ACL) was cleared for football activities on Monday and will now look to catch on with a team prior to the draft. He shouldn't be commanding anything more than a short-term deal with little guaranteed money due to injury concerns and average numbers. Rice would be a huge upgrade in Carolina, however.

Related: Panthers

Source: Joe Person on Twitter

Tough loss for the Jets. While Rice is no savior, they would have been fine with Decker/Rice/Kerley...now they are in a situation where their hand is kind of forced to take a WR high in the draft, and they'll have a decision to make in round 1/2 to go with either a TE or WR (or both). With Rice on board, they could have taken one of WR or TE and BPA at the other pick. There will be other plug-and-play guys they could get at WR, but Rice seemed to be the best left that would go into Training Camp with the Jets.

Rotoworld:

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll expects Sidney Rice (knee) to be ready for training camp, but perhaps not by "day one."
Rice ran routes in minicamp, but the Seahawks are playing things safe with his rehab. Rice could be an important role player in the Seahawks' receiver corps, but any 2014 contributions should be considered a bonus. Rice has missed at least seven games in three of the past four seasons.

Source: Liz Mathews on Twitter

Sidney Rice has retired from the NFL after 7 seasons.
Rice is just 27 years old, and theoretically should be in the prime of his career. But Rice has missed a total of 31 games in his seven seasons. He's reportedly retiring because of a history of concussions. Rice was knocked out a number of times in his playing career and also was trying to return from a torn ACL. What once looked like a promising career after an 83-catch, 1,312-yard, 8-touchdown 2009 season with the Vikings has ended in sad fashion. Rice caught a total of 243 passes for 3,592 yards and 30 scores. He went to one Pro Bowl.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
Jul 23 - 3:59 PM

So, assuming Rice had some relevance as a starting WR for the Seahawks, who does this bump up for possible relevance?

Doesn't this give a big bump to Baldwin? He's most likely to be #2 now and Harvin has his own durability issues so he may end up being the primary guy. I'd think this vaults Baldwin into a WR3.

Gosh this is sad... This kid looked like a stud when he came out, and had the talent. Just goes to show you need more than talent to succeed in the NFL.
There is nothing sad about it. Its a known reality of the NFL. He had more relevance than 100 other guys that never make it out of their first mini-camp and lose their dream.

I get your statement; potential and general sense of something more but as a guy that has worked a normal job for years, I would love the chance to burn out of the NFL at 27.

Rice is just 27 years old, and theoretically should be in the prime of his career. But Rice has missed a total of 31 games in his seven seasons. He's reportedly retiring because of a history of concussions. Rice was knocked out a number of times in his playing career and also was trying to return from a torn ACL. What once looked like a promising career after an 83-catch, 1,312-yard, 8-touchdown 2009 season with the Vikings has ended in sad fashion. Rice caught a total of 243 passes for 3,592 yards and 30 scores. He went to one Pro Bowl.
I remember thinking he was done when I saw him catch a TD and get concussed by the ground. I thought they tried to make it appear if he wasn't concussed, but his arm looked locked up to me. Reminded me of Austin Collie who got concussed from a glancing blow. He is smart to retire.

I remember thinking he was done when I saw him catch a TD and get concussed by the ground. I thought they tried to make it appear if he wasn't concussed, but his arm looked locked up to me. Reminded me of Austin Collie who got concussed from a glancing blow. He is smart to retire.
Yeah, he was. I was watching the Netflix doc on Mick Foley (Mankind/Cactus Jack/Dude Love) from the WWE and it illustrates a good picture of what sacrificing the body means when you are a young man who is retired from professional sports. 27 is such a young age. he doesn't need to be some 43 year old guy walking around with a mushmellon between his ears.

So, assuming Rice had some relevance as a starting WR for the Seahawks, who does this bump up for possible relevance?
dont think this passing game will support anyone outside of Harvin for FF purposes.

Last year Doug Baldwin was only bye week/filler startable and even then he probably burned people some while playing him

dont think this passing game will support anyone outside of Harvin for FF purposes.Last year Doug Baldwin was only bye week/filler startable and even then he probably burned people some while playing him
I like Baldwin as an NFL WR, and think he's an under rated dynasty asset, but for redraft purposes I agree with this. Playing last year as Seattle's WR2, Baldwin was WR55 in PPG -- behind WW fodder like Nate Burleson, Jerricho Cotchery, and Nate Washington. I'd also guess that Harvin will command a greater % of targets as the WR1 than did Golden Tate last year. Even if Harvin gets hurt, a best case for Baldwin is likely what Tate did last year, so WR35ish in PPG. I'd rather use my end of bench spots for boom / bust upside plays.

dont think this passing game will support anyone outside of Harvin for FF purposes.Last year Doug Baldwin was only bye week/filler startable and even then he probably burned people some while playing him
I like Baldwin as an NFL WR, and think he's an under rated dynasty asset, but for redraft purposes I agree with this. Playing last year as Seattle's WR2, Baldwin was WR55 in PPG -- behind WW fodder like Nate Burleson, Jerricho Cotchery, and Nate Washington. I'd also guess that Harvin will command a greater % of targets as the WR1 than did Golden Tate last year. Even if Harvin gets hurt, a best case for Baldwin is likely what Tate did last year, so WR35ish in PPG. I'd rather use my end of bench spots for boom / bust upside plays.
In my regular PPR (no bonus or anything funny) he is showing up at WR40 for 2013, which is a 12 team league, is a high-end WR4. He was behind Cotch and Nate, but was three points away from Patterson who is a young WR (unlike Cotch and Nate), yet is going around the WR15 spot in drafts this year. I don't think we would be too surprised if he finished ahead of Washington and Cotch this year.

In my regular PPR (no bonus or anything funny) he is showing up at WR40 for 2013, which is a 12 team league, is a high-end WR4. He was behind Cotch and Nate, but was three points away from Patterson who is a young WR (unlike Cotch and Nate), yet is going around the WR15 spot in drafts this year. I don't think we would be too surprised if he finished ahead of Washington and Cotch this year. Baldwin averaged 13 points in PPR for the playoffs, and had two of his better games of the year then.

Users who are viewing this thread