What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Since Joe blowed things up (1 Viewer)

I’m starting to feel this way too, sadly. There are no more epic threads and no more funny shtick. It’s all become really bland and vanilla. I don’t know if it’s due to all the moderating changes—who knows, maybe the timing is just coincidence—or whether the older posters are moving on with other priorities for their time and younger people just don’t join forums anymore. But whatever the cause, the effect is a different board that I’m just a whole lot less interested in. 

:shrug:  
I think it's mostly guys getting older with no young guns to fill the place with crazy stories. I mean, who didn't feel betrayed the day we learned Mr. Nomarriage.com was getting married. We had a great time mocking Woz until he finally got over "the ex" and decided to get married. GM must be getting tame in his old age because when is the last time we had a good story about throwing pennies all over the joint. Nobody stepped in to fill Otis' and Righetti's shoes with awesome wedding stories.  I could go on...  

I think you nailed it here
There’s also the part about us all being 15 years older. I don’t go to the same bars or do many of the same things I did in 2000, so it’s no surprise to me that I’m less interested in ffa message board discussions. 
Agree!

The board "population" is getting older.. I use to spend WAY too much time posting and commenting here.

I still visit many times a day, but don't post/comment even close to 50% of what I once did. Guessing some here are glad things changed ;)

I do wonder if some of that has to do with the ability to just "Like" a post.. The "old" way required at least a Emoticon posting which lead to commenting.
Now, you can just browse, like, and move onto the next post.
I "liked" this, but thought :goodposting:  was more appropriate.  

I wonder how much has to do with the evolution and popularity of social media and the internet in general. When I joined, there was no Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tinder etc. Maybe there was MySpace, but I did most of my online interactions here and FFT. 

There’s just much more to do online. And then there’s also the rise up of Tim. 
Some great points. Allowing political posts that go way over the line while eliminating all the PG-13 stories that a lot of times were awesome isn’t helping but it’s their call. 

Psychopav said:
NFL viewership is down.

Fantasy Football participation is way down.

I'm sure if you have any suggestions they'd love to hear them.
DFS and getting ahead of the upcoming gambling curve,

Dentist said:
This.

Though I figured it was more me and the age of the posters than whatever rule changes.

Most of my internet time is spent on the Facebook Dental forums now that I have an online dental column and podcast, plus since marriage and kids it's not like I have any epic boozing and womanizing stories to share.  

I'm a boring middle-aged white dude with 2 kids, a dad-bod, a wife, and an overpriced suburban home.
OMG we’re the same person 

Dentist said:
This.

Though I figured it was more me and the age of the posters than whatever rule changes.

Most of my internet time is spent on the Facebook Dental forums now that I have an online dental column and podcast, plus since marriage and kids it's not like I have any epic boozing and womanizing stories to share.  

I'm a boring middle-aged white dude with 2 kids, a dad-bod, a wife, and an overpriced suburban home.

very specific audience - your ad dollar rate must be sky high. 

link and dial-in number please big guy.

Popped in and has to be 15% of what was normal Friday evening traffic was.  Joe you know the numbers.  Care to share?

General Malaise said:
Hate to say it......

It's over, folks.  This place has the feel of a once very popular bar with regulars who made it great, but started leaving when new corporate owners took over and started making changes.  Still the same bar, still the same location, decor similar...but the atmosphere is gone.  Corporate owners serve different masters and it isn't the patrons that helped make it what it once was.  

I'm finding less and less to read here or reasons to post and I've been a message board nerd here since 2000ish.  I just don't care anymore.  It's so bland.  The creativity is gone.  The camaraderie has been replaced by political lines and back biting.  The ability to be funny and work in the PG13 blue has been nerfed.   It's sterile and no longer a must stop for me.

Sad to say....i loved this place, but the party is over. 
Very true..the last month I look in here and there. The rank and file have been emasculated.

Last edited by a moderator:
FBG26 said:
I think it's mostly guys getting older with no young guns to fill the place with crazy stories. I mean, who didn't feel betrayed the day we learned Mr. Nomarriage.com was getting married. We had a great time mocking Woz until he finally got over "the ex" and decided to get married. GM must be getting tame in his old age because when is the last time we had a good story about throwing pennies all over the joint. Nobody stepped in to fill Otis' and Righetti's shoes with awesome wedding stories.  I could go on...  
:yes: the younger crowd has better things to then post their stories and entertain a bunch of old farts spending their Friday night sitting at home watching LivePD.

tldr - Everything that's already been said

@General Malaise is right. This place is Studio 54 after that Michael Myers guy got out of jail. There's a few people doing blow in the corner but the magic is gone.

There seems to be a few topics that keep coming up when this discussion has been had in the elventy threads about it in the past few months

1. Embedded pics and vids. I agree with Joe here. I browse a ton from work. Clicking/tapping a link is not the worst thing in the world and I have that choice. I'd rather not click a random topic and then have imgur (blocked at my work) constantly being tagged on my history when loading up a page, or some poster with a vendetta posing lemon party pics before it can get deleted. Plus I may be on data and don't want the auto download of 15 pictures. I know a lot of people are for this but I think it could be a solid compromise to keep the status quo.

2. Speaking of compromises. I didn't even follow the yoga pants thing or over 60 thing but that seemed a bit overboard. Who's hottest? C'mon. I'll agree with the masses that these types of threads don't need to dominate page 1 but maybe Joe could compromise. Perhaps only posts from a female's public IG/FB etc account would be allowed? Imgur, tinypic, blogspot, etc could be some random person who may or may not have best intentions. If the female in question posts it for public consumption could that be allowed here? Obviously in-thread over the line comments could be reported and banned.

3. PSF - I visit it every few days to perhaps glean some sort of idea what's happening in the world. I scroll through the fighting but that was the greatest decision of the board IMO. There's a number of people who I have no interest in interacting with on both sides. Eliminating them would be beneficial to the board as a whole.

4. Software. I get it. Not the greatest but the old software was failing. Many of you must forget or not be aware of the big blue kvetching. With more people on phones/tablets this was the best option. We lost werewolf because the search function sucks. People were upset at 2 werewolf threads on page 1 but there were quality posters that played and now they're gone. That's a trade off. "Only 40 topics" on the front page. Click page 2. It's easy and takes 2 seconds. We have unlimited likes now. Multi-quote is available. Can users toggle their own media? Their own settings?  Does it really matter? I feel like the software could be a ton better but if that's what I'm griping about, I'm a privileged white man with nothing better to gripe about.

I haven't posted in any of the other pissing and moaning threads but wanted to tonight. I dunno. Hell even GMTAN isn't the same as it was. We'd hammer out 7 pages on a Friday night with shot videos and camaraderie but now most of that has gone to side chats. ####, :e: isn't even a thing anymore. Yea there's still a few idiots complaining amongst themselves but nobody likes them anyways. There were fun times there because that was the "rated R" (or X) escape from here and board conflicts may not have been resolved, but they were at least out in the open and discussed (discussed is a loose term here).

We're old. Face it. We're not as fun. A lot of that fun was lost posters. And lost posters is because of fixing things that aren't broken. It's a flat circle

:2cents:  

Dentist said:
This.

Still the man

I’m starting to feel this way too, sadly. There are no more epic threads and no more funny shtick. It’s all become really bland and vanilla. I don’t know if it’s due to all the moderating changes—who knows, maybe the timing is just coincidence—or whether the older posters are moving on with other priorities for their time and younger people just don’t join forums anymore. But whatever the cause, the effect is a different board that I’m just a whole lot less interested in. 

:shrug:  
No one to take the place of the great posters who have gotten older and have no more great stories to tell.  I have no idea what someone in their mid 20s does now. They used to join online magic football forums, so I know they're not doing something as cool as that.  Wherever it goes on here down the road, I can't imagine there has been many places like the FFA in internet history. I didn't bother explaining to my buddies in the real world how I spent a lot of time on a fantasy football forum.  Wouldn't get it. 

However, deleting the yoga pants thread was just nuts. I can't get behind that one. All the middle aged posters who no longer have cool stories now no longer have hot chicks to look at with other old guys. One less reason. 

Gr00vus said:
Sick Boy: Well, at one time, you've got it, and then you lose it, and it's gone forever. All walks of life: George Best, for example. Had it, lost it. Or David Bowie, or Lou Reed.

Renton: Lou Reed, some of his solo stuff's not bad.

Sick Boy: No, it's not bad. But it's not great either, is it? And in your heart you kind of know that although it sounds all right, it's actually just...####e.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh, for ####'s sake. I own Transformer on Dynaflex (thanks, Eeph!), and it's better than at least half to three-quarters of Velvets' output.  

People forget the lows.  

FTR, I don't think anything Joe has or hasn't done has caused it. I'm actually in great admiration of what Joe and a few of the other guys were able to create and maintain for 15+ years. Pretty amazing 
I agree...they have done a great job.  It is easy to change things with a new group but the majority here has been around forever and liked it for a reason.  Moderated but still able to have some fun. GM made a great statement.  Like going into a bar you used to have fun in and it is just not the same.

All dynasties come to an end though.    Brady and Billy Bs run is getting close to the end...and the Pats will still be around but not nearly as interesting.  Maybe the group is getting older and crochety and does not like being told what they can or can`t do anymore.

Have to go now and drink my Ensure and take my Geritol.

I should elaborate on my previous comment and the Thanks Eeph!

Thanks to building relationships on this board, I came to learn that Dynaflex was a specific type of vinyl, patented by RCA I believe, that allowed you to get hi-fi at a fraction of the weight of the LP. It was, apparently, revolutionary in the world of recordings and records. 

People Under The Stairs, a rap group that I like, has a song that shouts out Dynaflex and RCA on "43 Labels That I Like." I always loved that song and never would have gotten the reference if it wasn't for Eephus.

I guess I'm trying to say that this message board, though I joined after its heyday, has a bit of meaning for me. I dig it.

Anyway, my $.02 

There’s also the part about us all being 15 years older. I don’t go to the same bars or do many of the same things I did in 2000, so it’s no surprise to me that I’m less interested in ffa message board discussions. 
Great point. Lives change.

The one thing that does blow me away, however, is how politically charged this board has become. The venom is tough to take. Not so different than society at large but really puts a damper on things.

It's been 2 years since the board "upgrade" and I still think it sucks. If we could go back to the old board it would be a step in the right direction

tldr - Everything that's already been said

@General Malaise is right. This place is Studio 54 after that Michael Myers guy got out of jail. There's a few people doing blow in the corner but the magic is gone.

There seems to be a few topics that keep coming up when this discussion has been had in the elventy threads about it in the past few months

1. Embedded pics and vids. I agree with Joe here. I browse a ton from work. Clicking/tapping a link is not the worst thing in the world and I have that choice. I'd rather not click a random topic and then have imgur (blocked at my work) constantly being tagged on my history when loading up a page, or some poster with a vendetta posing lemon party pics before it can get deleted. Plus I may be on data and don't want the auto download of 15 pictures. I know a lot of people are for this but I think it could be a solid compromise to keep the status quo.

2. Speaking of compromises. I didn't even follow the yoga pants thing or over 60 thing but that seemed a bit overboard. Who's hottest? C'mon. I'll agree with the masses that these types of threads don't need to dominate page 1 but maybe Joe could compromise. Perhaps only posts from a female's public IG/FB etc account would be allowed? Imgur, tinypic, blogspot, etc could be some random person who may or may not have best intentions. If the female in question posts it for public consumption could that be allowed here? Obviously in-thread over the line comments could be reported and banned.

3. PSF - I visit it every few days to perhaps glean some sort of idea what's happening in the world. I scroll through the fighting but that was the greatest decision of the board IMO. There's a number of people who I have no interest in interacting with on both sides. Eliminating them would be beneficial to the board as a whole.

4. Software. I get it. Not the greatest but the old software was failing. Many of you must forget or not be aware of the big blue kvetching. With more people on phones/tablets this was the best option. We lost werewolf because the search function sucks. People were upset at 2 werewolf threads on page 1 but there were quality posters that played and now they're gone. That's a trade off. "Only 40 topics" on the front page. Click page 2. It's easy and takes 2 seconds. We have unlimited likes now. Multi-quote is available. Can users toggle their own media? Their own settings?  Does it really matter? I feel like the software could be a ton better but if that's what I'm griping about, I'm a privileged white man with nothing better to gripe about.

I haven't posted in any of the other pissing and moaning threads but wanted to tonight. I dunno. Hell even GMTAN isn't the same as it was. We'd hammer out 7 pages on a Friday night with shot videos and camaraderie but now most of that has gone to side chats. ####, :e: isn't even a thing anymore. Yea there's still a few idiots complaining amongst themselves but nobody likes them anyways. There were fun times there because that was the "rated R" (or X) escape from here and board conflicts may not have been resolved, but they were at least out in the open and discussed (discussed is a loose term here).

We're old. Face it. We're not as fun. A lot of that fun was lost posters. And lost posters is because of fixing things that aren't broken. It's a flat circle

:2cents:  
DOOOOOOOOOONT CAAAAAAAARE.

Google started out as a site to connect users to information, it has become a site which connects advertisers to users.   

General Malaise said:
Hate to say it......

It's over, folks.  This place has the feel of a once very popular bar with regulars who made it great, but started leaving when new corporate owners took over and started making changes.  Still the same bar, still the same location, decor similar...but the atmosphere is gone.  Corporate owners serve different masters and it isn't the patrons that helped make it what it once was.  

I'm finding less and less to read here or reasons to post and I've been a message board nerd here since 2000ish.  I just don't care anymore.  It's so bland.  The creativity is gone.  The camaraderie has been replaced by political lines and back biting.  The ability to be funny and work in the PG13 blue has been nerfed.   It's sterile and no longer a must stop for me.

Sad to say....i loved this place, but the party is over. 
Hey, you got a special box outline and a heart or something for that post!  Some heretofore undisclosed new bored innovation, no doubt  :thumbup:

Oh, and as for millennials or whoever not joining, they'll soon discover that message boards are more fun than social media in some ways, and will start getting all into message boards, some for the quality, some for the trendy "vintage" appeal.  So don't worry about that in the slightest.  But will the FFA be a boring ghost town before they show up?  :shrug:

squidrope said:
Popped in and has to be 15% of what was normal Friday evening traffic was.  Joe you know the numbers.  Care to share?
Are you CSTU?

I'm getting that vibe......  :oldunsure:

Users who are viewing this thread