What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sitting At Jiffy Lube - Ask Me About Lubricants (1 Viewer)

When was the last time you changed your own oil?
Been a long time - probably when I was a teenager in the 80’s. There are just some things I won’t do anymore. I can build you a house or fix anything at your house but I just don’t work on cars anymore.
Do you pay to have brake pads replaced?
Changing brake pads is pretty easy as well. I have only done it once but it only took an hour. It would be pretty fast with shop equipment.
Rotors as well. Heck even calipers is pretty straightforward. A lot more of savings with that then oil. I really just do the oil b/c doing stuff like that gives me a sense of purpose; time and money, probably only come out a little ahead.

I still do the oil changes but I’ve got a system. Each vehicle has its own box with its own set of tools. Inside the box is a notepad with the mileage and things like oil type or tire size specific to that vehicle.
I do mine too. And I've taught my 22 YO niece to change hers, which she does.

I sort of enjoy it. I'm not very handy, so changing my oil actually lets me feel useful from time to time. It doesn't take very long, and I'd rather spend the time in my driveway drinking beer than making an appointment or sitting in a waiting room.

All my cars have filters that are easy to get to, which helps. Except my niece's CRV, which is why I taught her to do it herself.

DIY oil changes really don't save much money, which, oddly, is part of the reason I do them myself. I don't feel comfortable having shops do a job I know they aren't making money on. If it's a shop I trust, I'd just prefer to save them the hassle.

And when it comes to the Jiffy Lube's, GB @ChiefD for finding a Jiffy Lube he trusts, but absolutely, under no circumstances, am I taking a vehicle to a Jiffy Lube or anything like them.

Clearly, they lose money on the oil changes, so they can bend you over on everything else.

Before she saw the light, my niece got some stuff done at these sorts of places. She got impatient a couple of times. Around here, there's a shortage of real mechanics, so getting a good shop to do anything can take a couple of weeks. Oh man, she's paid her share of stupid tax for that siren song of convenience. Brake job they ended up with brake fluid spewing all over the road and no brakes. $2000 on a bunch of BS to pass inspection.

The real reason I'll never go back is the last time I went was my junior year of college. Took my 1988 Mazda 323 before heading home for a break. It never made it home. Man I loved that car. Working and saving and putting 16 $100 bills in the seller's hands for that car was a big moment in my life. One idiot in one Jiffy Lube made a mistake 24 years ago, but I will never forgive the entire outfit taking my little 323 away.

My father was a mechanic. I've done pretty much everything you can do (at least assisted) on a car. When I worked for my dad at the county garage I would change my oil/brakes/other stuff there. I am no mechanic and know my limits. That being said, once I moved into my own house I don't do my oil changes. Forget the fact Ill need to purchase a jack/jack stands/oil drain pan - I then need to drive somewhere to dispose of the oil. I have a slanted driveway and well my garage is full of kids crap (i do need to clean it out). All that to save $10-$20. No thanks.

I don't do brakes anymore for the same reason but I can talk to techs with some knowledge so at least I feel like I can tell if they are trying to give me so nonsense. My father rarely does his oil changes anymore because his truck you have to go in sideways from the wheel well lol.....

I still will look at an issue and weigh the time vs money or at least have an idea whats wrong before taking it to my local guy. My one vehicle it takes like an hour to change a freaking headlight bulb because I have to take all the plastic off the wheel well and go in from underneath - so stupid.

my .02

Last edited:
how is the oil change going take that to the bank brohan
all good and the 'ol ford is running as smooth as ever but not a surprise because its made in the usa and waving the flag for good old american jobs is a good thing and you can take all of that to the lube bank which sounds dirty and probably is cause oil is a dirty job but its mike rowe approved swamigo....

Users who are viewing this thread