What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Snelling/Rogers split (1 Viewer)

Cyclones

Footballguy
What are the Falcons looking like for the next month with SJax out? 505/50 split in carries with Rogers the 3rd down and Snelling at the goal line? Without checking any actual stats it seems both of these guys have had the chance to step up in the past and neither have really done it.

Might be deceptive but last week Rodgers had 11 carries. Snelling 2 carries. Both had 4 targets.

Snelling has done it before:

2010 Week 2 vs ARI: 24-129-2, 5-57-1

Also did well in 2009.

Hasn't had a chance the last two years as Turner stayed healthy.

Might be deceptive but last week Rodgers had 11 carries. Snelling 2 carries. Both had 4 targets.
That is true but didn't he only have something like 19 yards on those 11 carries? Will be interesting to see if they give Snelling a shot after that YPC by Rodgers.

That is true but didn't he only have something like 19 yards on those 11 carries? Will be interesting to see if they give Snelling a shot after that YPC by Rodgers.
Yeah, Rodgers isn't good. The problem is that the Miami defense is a fairly solid unit. Without Roddy White at full strength they'll have an easier time containing the running game. I think Snelling is easily the play here if you have to, but I wouldn't get excited about it. At the same time, I wouldn't be shocked if he snuck in a TD. i wouldn't want to start him or face him this week.

Actually I believe Quizz had 17 yards on 11 carries. Snelling out rushed him (19 yards) on 2 carries.

I expect Quizz to see a fair amount of check downs but as I've stated numerous times, I think he's awful. Snelling is the one I'd want to own here, if I had to own one.

Actually I believe Quizz had 17 yards on 11 carries. Snelling out rushed him (19 yards) on 2 carries.

I expect Quizz to see a fair amount of check downs but as I've stated numerous times, I think he's awful. Snelling is the one I'd want to own here, if I had to own one.
Yeah, unfortunately with Lacy out I am forced to choose between Snelling and Tate. Thankfully last night Charles basically played to a stalemate vs Vick/Jackson/Bowe, so I'm in good shape headed into Sunday. Will probably go with Snelling.

Deciding on Snelling vs. Charles Clay in my flex (neither super enticing as Clay could be flash-in-the-pan).

Leaning Snelling - even when teams go pass-heavy, they have to run sometimes. Quizz just looks like a terrible football player to me. Snelling could also get a goalline rep or two and should be involved as a receiver out of the backfield as well.

It's worth noting that Snelling had to come in at fullback some last week after Brady Ewing went down. This week, they'll have Dimarco as an option at FB. Not sure if it will affect the split, but it could be a reason Snelling didn't get more touches last week.

I'm still have Quizz penciled in my PPR league but now I am wondering if I shouldn't snag Snelling. RB depth so horrible...

I think you guys are going after the wrong dude. I don't have or need either, but Rodgers is going to be most utilized.

It's worth noting that Snelling had to come in at fullback some last week after Brady Ewing went down. This week, they'll have Dimarco as an option at FB. Not sure if it will affect the split, but it could be a reason Snelling didn't get more touches last week.
Depth chart notes Fri Sep 20, 12:58 PM

Atlanta Falcons FB Patrick DiMarco has been promoted from the practice squad to the active roster, where he assumes the role as the No. 1 fullback over RB Jason Snelling. LB Joplu Bartu and DE Jonathan Massaquoi will fill in for LB Sean Weatherspoon (foot) and DE Kroy Biermann (Achilles'), respectively. LB Jamar Chaney is the No. 2 strongside linebacker behind LB Stephen Nicholas, and LB Omar Gaither is the backup at weakside linebacker behind Bartu. LB Paul Worrilow is the backup to LB Akeem Dent at middle linebacker.

With Lacy and SJax hurt I am rolling with Snelling. He has a much larger percentage of scoring a td to make up for a day that probably won't be great for either him or Quizz.

I think Quizz was already rostered, but I prefer Snelling anyway and picked him up. With Lacy likely out, and Rice really making me question if he's worth the start even if he is active, Snelling should make his way into my lineup somehow.

I would avoid both if possible. Miami has been good against the rrun.quizz will probably get more work and touches but snelling has a higher chance to get in the endzone imo

With Lacy and Vereen out, I picked up Snelling to start over Chris Ivory and Willis McGahee. Quizz was already rostered, but I'd take Snelling even if he wasn't

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny how a single game -- and really just two carries -- changes the outlook of a player. Preseason, I don't recall anyone talking about Snelling. Rodgers was who everyone considered as the clear backup -- Snelling was versatile depth.

Now Rodgers is "terrible." Interesting.

Not saying it's wrong, either -- Snelling was more productive in both preseason and with the two carries he's had so far this year. But it's a really small sample size. Last year, we saw Rodgers more predominant in both the running (3.9 YPC cs Snelling's 3.5) and receiving (7.6 YPR to Snelling's 6.5) production.

Does that mean Snelling is untalented? That he can't do more situationally or when gien opportunity than Rodgers? Not at all. But it also certainly doesn't mean Rodgers is abominable. If it was the case, we would have seen Snelling used much more either in games where the starting RB was in or not.

I think it's likely ATL uses Snelling -- they have to. Rodgers can't shoulder the load alone, and Snelling has undeniable talent. But my guess is that Rodgers sees the majority of carries in the game. What they respectively do with these carries, could very well be Snelling is more productive -- but don't think you can automatically assume it.

As a non-SJAX owner, I drafted Rodgers as pure PPR depth, with upside if SJAX got hurt. Also picked up Snelling this week. So rather than having no dog in the fight, I've got both sides. My feeling is that both backs don't fare well against a stout MIA D at home, but at the very least it gives me some insurance in case one of them explodes so I can use whoever that is as trade bait.

Funny how a single game -- and really just two carries -- changes the outlook of a player. Preseason, I don't recall anyone talking about Snelling. Rodgers was who everyone considered as the clear backup -- Snelling was versatile depth.

Not saying it's wrong, either -- Snelling was more productive in both preseason and with the two carries he's had so far this year. But it's a really small sample size. Last year, we saw Rodgers more predominant in both the running (3.9 YPC cs Snelling's 3.5) and receiving (7.6 YPR to Snelling's 6.5) production.

Does that mean Snelling is untalented? That he can't do more situationally or when gien opportunity than Rodgers? Not at all. But it also certainly doesn't mean Rodgers is abominable. If it was the case, we would have seen Snelling used much more either in games where the starting RB was in or not.

I think it's likely ATL uses Snelling -- they have to. Rodgers can't shoulder the load alone, and Snelling has undeniable talent. But my guess is that Rodgers sees the majority of carries in the game. What they respectively do with these carries, could very well be Snelling is more productive -- but don't think you can automatically assume it.

As a non-SJAX owner, I drafted Rodgers as pure PPR depth, with upside if SJAX got hurt. Also picked up Snelling this week. So rather than having no dog in the fight, I've got both sides. My feeling is that both backs don't fare well against a stout MIA D at home, but at the very least it gives me some insurance in case one of them explodes so I can use whoever that is as trade bait.
Go back and check out the Quizz "hype" threads last year. Everyone was so fixated on the decline of Turner that we didn't realize just how underwhelming Quizz truly was. The majority arrived to the same conclusion as the year progressed; Quizz is bad and the hype was unwarranted. The notion that he's bad isn't new, it's just resurfaced due to SJax's injury.

As for why Snelling hasn't gotten much work/mention, he's more of an early down back. No doubt Quizz is the superior 3rd down back but Snelling is a much better runner.

don't know what to think about the splits. honestly, I think they go with rodgers until he's not effective.

however...

If snelling gets a true opp. I just think the debate continues for another week. ATL's O-line is in shambles...

8/68; 4/35 maybe a lucky short TD... nothing special. well... maybe that is with that O-line.

Snelling v. Rodgers in the event Turner went down was going on for years. I watched almost every Atlanta snap in 2011, and I think Snelling is the better back. But it's Atlanta, who values passing above all else. I don't like either of these guys.

As a Reggie Bush owner today I found myself not sure what to do there so I ended up doing my research and picked up Snelling over Rodgers and both were availible.

Last week

Rushing
Snelling - 2 Carries, 19 yards and 1 TD with a long rush of 11 yards
Rodgers - 11 Carries, 17 yards with a long rush of 7 yards

Receiving
Snelling 4 catches for 41 yards
Rodgers 4 catches for 28 yards

What I see is more opportunities for Rodgers but less production. I checked the game log and in the 4th quarter of last weeks game where they were in a close one against the Rams

Snelling - 3 Catches 38 yards + 1 Rush 11 yards TD
Rodgers - 1 Catch 0 yards + 4 Rushes for 13 yards

They were both utilized equally at the end of the game but Snelling was more productive.

Right now I am not sure why this debate is flying so low under the radar. Honestly had I not been scared of starting Reggie Bush I wouldn't have even looked at this match up. My previous belief was that the Dolphins were a tough matchup but the stats do not tell that story

The Dolphins rank 25th in fewest yards per carry allowed giving up an average of 4.6 yards in the first two weeks. Ahmad Bradshaw and Donald Brown averaged 4.3 yards per carry last week and neither is a star RB.

Where I think the difference for me was when deciding on the RB to take was that the Dolphins are giving up an average of 12 yards per catch. The RB I believe who exploits that is Snelling.

This is a very good matchup imo for these two RB's and Snelling this year is averaging 9.5 yards per rush attempt and 9.7 yards per pass attempt. I believe he will make for the better start this week.

Yeah, unfortunately with Lacy out I am forced to choose between Snelling and Tate. Thankfully last night Charles basically played to a stalemate vs Vick/Jackson/Bowe, so I'm in good shape headed into Sunday. Will probably go with Snelling.
Tate easy.

As far as the Snelling vs. Rodgers debate - Snelling gets the goal line carries which makes the decision fairly simple in my eyes.

Tate easy.

As far as the Snelling vs. Rodgers debate - Snelling gets the goal line carries which makes the decision fairly simple in my eyes.
same boat (Snelling vs Tate), I'm going Snelling in hopes of a TD as Tate doesn't get many if any GL's or redzones.

Time to eat crow.

Although Snelling is outscoring Quizz, he (Quizz) looks really good. He's breaking tackles and making people miss in the open field. Color me impressed.

Time to eat crow.

Although Snelling is outscoring Quizz, he (Quizz) looks really good. He's breaking tackles and making people miss in the open field. Color me impressed.
eat crow about what? Both guys look great
I've continuously bashed Quizz for being awful through-out numerous threads. I was wrong.
Just one game, I still think he's not very impressive based on all of the other games I've seen.

I see this tidbit regarding the WR injury situation in Green Bay also relating to the situation in Atlanta.....

"Footballguys view: The injuries to the wide receivers is going to do a couple of things. First, there could be a bit more emphasis on the ground game. Second, there should be more targets for tight end Jermichael Finley. Finally, we could see more targets for the running backs as receivers out of the backfield."

Steven Jackson is not expected back this week, only adding to the increased value of an RB like Snelling that is a good receiver out of the backfield. I see opportunity here. Anyone else willing to take a shot? Fwiw, I dropped McGahee for him.

I see this tidbit regarding the WR injury situation in Green Bay also relating to the situation in Atlanta.....

"Footballguys view: The injuries to the wide receivers is going to do a couple of things. First, there could be a bit more emphasis on the ground game. Second, there should be more targets for tight end Jermichael Finley. Finally, we could see more targets for the running backs as receivers out of the backfield."

Steven Jackson is not expected back this week, only adding to the increased value of an RB like Snelling that is a good receiver out of the backfield. I see opportunity here. Anyone else willing to take a shot? Fwiw, I dropped McGahee for him.
You may have just convinced me.

Users who are viewing this thread