What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (2 Viewers)

The Chevy chase skit with the man shouting what he said...what was up with that? I'm reading his opening line when he said "um um um" was a shot at Bill Murray and Norm and the crew were busting on Chevy during their introduction to him. Anyone know the scoop?
Thats an old skit with him and Garrett Morris from Season 1 or 2. It was when they used Garrett to translate for those "hard of hearin" during Weekend Update. They brought Garrett on like he was going to do sign language and he started repeating Chevy while yelling every word back at the camera. I always got a kick out of this when I saw it.
Actually, I'd never seen that before and it cracked me up last night. With all the ridiculous -- almost pantomimes -- at political press conferences these days, that was a funny and timely sketch, even if it was an old idea.

:lmao:

Chevy did look at sound bad.

Interesting to see who all has aged better than others.

Steve Martin...though, probably because he has looked old for a while and has had the grey/white hair for so long.

Martin Short and Carvey...

And Betty White...for her age seems to not have changed all that much. Again, probably because she looked so old for so long already.

And yes, I know makeup and work on some of these people have done wonders too.

And I don't care what McCartney did the night before...he sounded terrible. Though, I don't think he has sounded that great for a few years anyway.

Saw some Elton John special a few months ago and he sounds pretty bad too.

Its age...we get it...but people getting pissed that others are criticizing them sounding bad. :lmao:

I really don't understand the Eddie Murphy appearance.

Big introduction by Chris Rock, Eddie comes out and encourages the crowd for more applause. He says it reminds him of going back to high school... then cut. No, I really meant it, cut now.

Murphy looked extremely nervous, like he really didn't want to be there. Maybe he's developed stage fright?

Big introduction by Chris Rock, Eddie comes out and encourages the crowd for more applause. He says it reminds him of going back to high school... then cut. No, I really meant it, cut now.

Murphy looked extremely nervous, like he really didn't want to be there. Maybe he's developed stage fright?
any link to this scene?

I watched about 3/4 of last night and will watch the rest at some point this week. Nitpicking aside, what a great walk down memory lane, and how incredibly entertaining... A cultural institution. Love it.
I really liked how they combined cast members from different eras in the new material.

For someone like me whose SNL history goes back to being allowed to stay up way too late while way too young to watch the Not Ready For Prime Time Players, I loved seeing Jane Curtin at the Weekend Update desk with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. I got a big kick out of the music medley that brought together the Culps, Choppin' Broccoli, Nick the Lounge Singer, and the Jackie Rogers Jr. theme song. Made me miss the Sweeney Sisters even more. The Californians was never my bag, but I get that the cast loves performing it, and that format works well to get a lot of people on the same stage and introduce characters late in the sketch.

He hadn't participated in any previous SNL retrospectives, so he might have gotten caught up in the moment a little. Last night we saw guys like Paul Simon who have never been far from the SNL stage get emotional while performing. I imagine Murphy didn't want people to notice him getting emotional as well, and didn't seem interested in performing any characters or new material. So it was a little strange seeing him come out of stage and not do anything beyond saying hi and thank you.

Jackie Rogers Jr is still one of my all time favorites.
I was hoping for a game show montage that would include Jackie Rogers Jr.'s $100,000 Jackpot Wad, but the reunion couldn't cover everything and it's tough for non-Lorne years material to make the cut on Lorne-produced retrospectives.

I'm a few hours behind but damn did Chevy look bad, maybe be realized how much of a #### he was to everybody and really regrets it. Wanted to say some more but never got it out.
Doubtful on the bolded. Even on Community Chevy was still acting like an ##### that everyone hated.

He's Not Chevy, He's an #######: A History of Chevy Chase's Horrific Behavior

I'm sure he felt uncomfortable, everyone else on the show had a role last night and he literally did not do anything with his appearance. I'm sure that was his choice but how could he feel good about it. It was weird, they should have just put him in the In Memoriam sketch and not even invited him.

He hadn't participated in any previous SNL retrospectives, so he might have gotten caught up in the moment a little. Last night we saw guys like Paul Simon who have never been far from the SNL stage get emotional while performing. I imagine Murphy didn't want people to notice him getting emotional as well, and didn't seem interested in performing any characters or new material. So it was a little strange seeing him come out of stage and not do anything beyond saying hi and thank you.
I think his lack of participation and lousy "monologue" after such a great intro by Rock just shows what a self-important dbag Murphy has become/always was.

That said, he was amazing when he was on the show as a regular and he probably did save the show.

I think his lack of participation and lousy "monologue" after such a great intro by Rock just shows what a self-important dbag Murphy has become/always was.

That said, he was amazing when he was on the show as a regular and he probably did save the show.
There's no doubt that Murphy saved SNL in the '80s. And that's part of the reason why he acts like a dbag. He feels like he doesn't get enough credit. You could make an argument that 75% of the people in that audience owe their careers to Eddie Murphy. And yet Lorne Michaels has always acted like the entire Ebersol era never existed.

There's no doubt that Murphy saved SNL in the '80s. And that's part of the reason why he acts like a dbag. He feels like he doesn't get enough credit. You could make an argument that 75% of the people in that audience owe their careers to Eddie Murphy. And yet Lorne Michaels has always acted like the entire Ebersol era never existed.
That makes sense. Although, how is he supposed to get more credit? He was the biggest star in the world there for a good while.

gump said:
I thought Seinfeld did OK without much material...he was relaxed.
It was interesting seeing him take questions form the audience, a monologue structure SNL usually reserves for hosts without much background in comedy. But IMO the segment killed: Seinfeld interacted well with the questioners, and the references to Larry David's lack of success as an SNL writer were fun.

Gary Coal Man said:
I'm a few hours behind but damn did Chevy look bad, maybe be realized how much of a #### he was to everybody and really regrets it. Wanted to say some more but never got it out.
Doubtful on the bolded. Even on Community Chevy was still acting like an ##### that everyone hated.

He's Not Chevy, He's an #######: A History of Chevy Chase's Horrific Behavior
On the red carpet, Chevy was obviously insulted when told he was "part" of the first season. Basically said "Part?" and mumbled that he was the show. Then started getting misty eyed saying he missed not being on the cast longer, but there were reasons why it happened.

I have no doubt he's an arrogant #####. And based on what I saw last night - if you have a death pool of SNL'rs he has to be in the top 3. Looked horrible.

James Daulton said:
Bruce Dickinson said:
leftcoastguy7 said:

I disagree - that's the most humble I've ever seen Eddie Murphy in my life.

I saw the article on Yahoo! but the one thing I think they got right about summarizing the whole night was...

Don Pardo. They should have spliced together the whole list of names from Pardo when the show was starting. That would have set the tone to something special. Don't know why but I noticed that right away especially names that this new guy never uttered like the veterans of the show.

I saw the article on Yahoo! but the one thing I think they got right about summarizing the whole night was...

Don Pardo. They should have spliced together the whole list of names from Pardo when the show was starting. That would have set the tone to something special. Don't know why but I noticed that right away especially names that this new guy never uttered like the veterans of the show.
I think it was a mistake to even show who was going to be on the show. Should have just let it all unfold as a surprise best they could.

Seems like Eddie could have pulled off Angry, at least. What was the skit where he was stoned to bejesus and yelling?

I think it was a mistake to even show who was going to be on the show. Should have just let it all unfold as a surprise best they could.
The "red carpet" kind of spoiled it already.

Seems like Eddie could have pulled off Angry, at least. What was the skit where he was stoned to bejesus and yelling?
Nobody was being paid and I'm sure that played a big role in some of the stars and their lack of willingness to do anything but be there.

My guess is Chase or Murphy would bomb if they did a sketch. Great that they were there to pay respects, but they're you know, done. It happens.

Nobody was being paid and I'm sure that played a big role in some of the stars and their lack of willingness to do anything but be there.
which other major cast member was there but refused to do anything?
:goodposting:

Even the corpse of Lovitz was willing to partake.

Is that the greatest collection of talent in one building ever? I guess maybe an Oscars show?

I loved the intro where they pushed all the clips together.

Chevy Chase was the other person that came to mind.

Is that the greatest collection of talent in one building ever? I guess maybe an Oscars show?

for pure funny I think so. For dramatic acting probably not although hanks deniro and others were there and I think I saw spielberg in the crowd too

for pure funny I think so. For dramatic acting probably not although hanks deniro and others were there and I think I saw spielberg in the crowd too
Jack Nicholson introduced the political sketch highlight reel.

Bradley Cooper got famous doing lighter fare, but has shown some dramatic chops in the last few years, too.

i'm pretty sure that Darell Hammond replaced Pardo after he died.

Yep.

When Hammond was in the cast, there were some weeks when Pardo was unavailable and Hammond did the announcing in Pardo's voice.

Yep.When Hammond was in the cast, there were some weeks when Pardo was unavailable and Hammond did the announcing in Pardo's voice.
That's crazy. Wow.

Chevy Chase was the other person that came to mind.
Chase was barely able to mumble through the three lines they gave him. I highly doubt it was his decision not to be involved in any sketches or to reprise an old character. With Murphy, I'm sure they would have loved him to participate.

Eddie Murphy was given such a great intro, got a standing ovation from the crowd and it just seemed like such a great moment. Maybe something pivotal, like he might be able to have a comeback and revive his career. Then he just kinda craps on the moment. So odd.

Without a doubt the Murphy part was the oddest part of that show. And you're right, with a slam dunk moment he's the hot thing again.

Maybe he just doesn't want to be that anymore?

That was kind of my impression. Who knew comedians were such divas.

It was pretty easy to see who still had it though. Is John Goodman ill or was he drunk? Bill Murray didn't do much either. No comedy that I can recall. Definitely takes himself way too seriously now. Martin Short of all people just killed it. Mike Myers and Dana Carvey need to do another Wayne's World movie. They were right on point.

I think the funniest part of the show is when Kayne jumped up the second time and then Myers jumped up too like he was startled. Cracked me right up. Just the look of fight or flight he gave. He needs to do some more movies.

That was kind of my impression. Who knew comedians were such divas.

It was pretty easy to see who still had it though. Is John Goodman ill or was he drunk? Bill Murray didn't do much either. No comedy that I can recall. Definitely takes himself way too seriously now. Martin Short of all people just killed it. Mike Myers and Dana Carvey need to do another Wayne's World movie. They were right on point.

I think the funniest part of the show is when Kayne jumped up the second time and then Myers jumped up too like he was startled. Cracked me right up. Just the look of fight or flight he gave. He needs to do some more movies.
Did you miss the Jaws song?

Users who are viewing this thread