What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (3 Viewers)

Go read Norm MacDonald's twitter timeline starting about 3hrs back. Thank me later

That ####### man is a genius, and one of my top 3 fave comedians ever.

What a story teller.

Eta - missed this mentioned above
Norm is one of my all time favorite SNL guys. Loved him hosting WU. Brilliant.

Murphy is a baby. That would have been huge if he'd done Cosby.. it was the funniest part of the show as it was. But we all know he's still butthurt about SNL kicking him when he was down, and it's somewhat understandable. I'm not sure any other alum has been laid out quite like he was with that one little Spade line.

Cosby is garbage though, he should have done it. People would still be talking about it. Could not have been bad for his career.

Norm is the man, love that guy. Sure I could do without the golf play-by-plays in my twitter feed. But he's a real dude, ####### hilarious and not a fake bone in his body. My favorite comedian and I even love his two horrible movies (Screwed - must see for any Norm fan, feat. great turns by pre-fame Dave Chappelle, Danny DeVito and yes Elaine Stritch)

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Eddie is/was friends with the Coz...and didn't want to pile on.

Who knows...but dude could've done something...damn.

It seems like his ego is getting in the way. I just listened to audio of Jim Brewer describing the conversation between David Spade and Eddie after the falling star joke and it doesn't appear that he can laugh at himself, or at least not for SNL.

Not sure.. he destroyed Cosby in RAW for lecturing him about filth and flam. "Have a Coke and a smile and shut the #### up"

Not sure.. he destroyed Cosby in RAW for lecturing him about filth and flam. "Have a Coke and a smile and shut the #### up"
The quote is actually what Richard Prior told Eddie to tell Coz. But, yeah, I immediately thought of that when someone questioned whether Eddie wouldn't do Cosby...

"Yoooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuu can not say #### in front of people!" :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0aKNwsrtXw definitely NSFW

In fairness, he was quoting Pryor at the time.

You've noted that the Spade thing seemingly left Eddie unwilling to kick a guy when he's down. And that's not really an attitude that lends itself to topical sketch comedy.

It seems like his ego is getting in the way. I just listened to audio of Jim Brewer describing the conversation between David Spade and Eddie after the falling star joke and it doesn't appear that he can laugh at himself, or at least not for SNL.
hey, waitaminute, where was Breuer in the SNL40 celebration? I don't recall seeing any mention of him in the thing. He did some great re-occuring bits with Joe Pesci Show and Goatboy in the day.

Sounds like they out all their Eddie eggs in one basket that he ended up not being comfortable with.
Sure, but its also not as if Eddie and his people came in to write their own stuff. It sounds like if someone wanted to do a sketch or whatever on the show, he or she was responsible for getting a writing team together and pitching it.

hey, waitaminute, where was Breuer in the SNL40 celebration? I don't recall seeing any mention of him in the thing. He did some great re-occuring bits with Joe Pesci Show and Goatboy in the day.
he was one of the worst cast members ever, imo. goatboy was awful.

Sounds like they out all their Eddie eggs in one basket that he ended up not being comfortable with.
Sure, but its also not as if Eddie and his people came in to write their own stuff. It sounds like if someone wanted to do a sketch or whatever on the show, he or she was responsible for getting a writing team together and pitching it.
Plus they gave him an opportunity to make a little speech, he had a chance to be funny if he wanted to.

Plus they gave him an opportunity to make a little speech, he had a chance to be funny if he wanted to.
Clearly still a little bitter. But like I said before, on the red carpet he came off as polite and gracious.

eddie is one of the best of all time, but the fact that he's still bitter over a david spade joke, or that he even became bitter in the first place, really knocks him down a notch IMO

Clearly still a little bitter. But like I said before, on the red carpet he came off as polite and gracious.
I don't know if he's bitter so much as just not comfortable doing what he used to do. Eddie isn't an idiot. He has to know that hosting SNL would be treated as a huge pop culture event that would be the very best platform to relaunch himself as a bankable studio comedy star. And the bar would probably be pretty low. Most would accept a Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood about gentrification or a Buckwheat Sings (maybe the joke could be that he's much easier to understand than Young Thug). I'm not sure its bitterness keeping Eddie from doing it so much as discomfort with revisiting that part of his life.

eddie is one of the best of all time, but the fact that he's still bitter over a david spade joke, or that he even became bitter in the first place, really knocks him down a notch IMO
I think all things considered he had a right to be bitter about the joke. I don't think they are known for laying out their "family" like that. And he was in a bad spot, just got busted with a tranny prostitute and there were legitimate questions about where his career was headed. I can't remember ever seeing Chevy Chase get skewered, and he burned every bridge he ever saw. And how about Downey Jr, that guy was in the gutter for about 5 years.

I can see being pissed, but like with all things, you gotta let it go.

If Spade did it during his own show/routine, Eddie should have said "Who?" and never thought about it again. Probably would have. I am sure the fact that it was said on SNL upset Eddie more because it meant it was more than just Spade involved/onboard with it.

I think all things considered he had a right to be bitter about the joke. I don't think they are known for laying out their "family" like that. And he was in a bad spot, just got busted with a tranny prostitute and there were legitimate questions about where his career was headed. I can't remember ever seeing Chevy Chase get skewered, and he burned every bridge he ever saw. And how about Downey Jr, that guy was in the gutter for about 5 years.

FWIW, Murphy was busted with the prostitute in 1997. The Spade joke was 1996 (after Vampire In Brooklyn bombed, if I remember correctly).

FWIW, Murphy was busted with the prostitute in 1997. The Spade joke was 1996 (after Vampire In Brooklyn bombed, if I remember correctly).
OK if I'm misremembering that I partially concede the point, though it's still OK to be pissed for a little while, considering what he did for the show

(aside from saving the whole damn thing single-handedly in the early 80's, how much $$$ did they pull in off of his Best-Of video(s)?)

Downey Jr was on SNL?

Downey Jr was on SNL?
As was Anthony Michael Hall and Joan Cusack.

Downey Jr was on SNL?
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/saturday-night-live-all-141-cast-members-ranked-20150211/141-robert-downey-jr-20150211

Robert Downey Jr. is a comic genius. Making him unfunny stands as SNL's most towering achievement in terms of sucking. How do you #### up a sure thing like Downey? He's funny in anything. I mean, dude was funny in Weird Science. He was funny in Johnny Be Good. He was funny in Iron Man. But he met his Kryptonite, and it was SNL, where he spent the 1985-1986 season sucking up a storm. His greatest hit? A fart-noise debate with Anthony Michael Hall. In a perverse way, the Downey Fail sums up everything that makes SNL great. There are no sure things. No rules. No do-overs. No safety net — when you flop on SNL, you flop big. And that's the way it should be. The cameras roll at 11:30, ready or not. Live from New York — it's Saturday Night.

Robert Downey Jr. and Anthony Michael Hall were two of the first actors hired by Lorne Michaels when he returned to the show in 1985. It was part of his master plan to revamp the show with younger actor types (instead of older comedian types like Billy Crystal or Martin Short). It failed miserably, but it wasn't Downey's fault. He just wasn't very well suited for live improvisational comedy. Lorne eventually realized his mistake and replaced Downey and Hall (and most of the cast) with Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, etc.

With all the superstars on SNL40 I think Eddie was the only one who got a voluntary standing O. Really just because he has disappeared and people were happy to see him come out. Then he has nothing to say. Pretty lame. At least do something if you are going to come out.

It's a shame he has basically been retired from being Eddie Murphy for about 20 years.

I want to get the SNL 40 app, but I don't want to update to iOS 8 and ruin my iPad. Thanks a lot Steve Jobs!

I guess it's only tangentially related, but Norm's moth joke is one of the funniest jokes I've ever heard.

http://www.break.com/video/the-moth-joke-norm-macdonald-2519827
:lmao: I love shaggy dog jokes.
I love them. The "eff you" clown (have you ever heard the eff you clown joke?) is the best joke I've ever heard, told by a master storyteller.

But to quibble: In this case, the existentialist angst and Russian/Czech lit was met by the punchline about socialization/biology. Biology is cruel -- we all go to the light because it's in our nature!

But I love those jokes. Reeling.

Thanks, man.

I guess it's only tangentially related, but Norm's moth joke is one of the funniest jokes I've ever heard.

I love them. The "eff you" clown (have you ever heard the eff you clown joke?) is the best joke I've ever heard, told by a master storyteller.

But to quibble: In this case, the existentialist angst and Russian/Czech lit was met by the punchline about socialization/biology. Biology is cruel -- we all go to the light because it's in our nature!

Thanks, man.
can't think of the f-u clown one... will google when I have time.

have you heard the "Life is a cup of tea" one?

Thanks, man.

Flop > Nope. I'll have to google it. Cheers, man. Jesus, my friend back in '97 killed the clown joke. Ridiculous. I was on the floor.

Thanks, man.

Flop > Nope. I'll have to google it. Cheers, man. Jesus, my friend back in '97 killed the clown joke. Ridiculous. I was on the floor.
I wonder if the cup of tea is even a thing... I had a great uncle who may or may not have done vaudeville tell it and had me in tears. of course, when I tried to tell it to my friends, I ended up getting punched.

Great B.S. Report with Seth Meyers today.

The concept and structure of the SNL40 show was all Lorne.

The show expanded to 3:30 after one draft of it came in at 3:52. Musical guest montages were the last thing cut to get down to 3:30.

Martin Short and Maya Rudolph were picked to host to music segment because industry people love those two, especially Short.

Love Theme From Jaws was a gag Jim Downey had wanted to do on SNL since the late 1970s. It was the only bit that was not rehearsed, and wasn't put together until the afternoon of the show. Downey wanted to include footage from Jaws in the background, but there was no time to formally clear the clips. So Downey went into the crowd, found Spielberg, and got his permission personally to use Jaws material on stage.

Seth's most disappointing no-show was Dennis Miller. Felt Miller belonged on stage with the Weekend Update anchors.

The idea to include Jon Lovitz in the In Memoriam package was from Steve Higgins. But several people, including Chris Rock, suggested the gag when they found out there would be an In Memoriam and Lovitz would be in the audience.

Rehearsals were a blast. Everyone hung out to watch everyone else rehearse. At one point, Alec Baldwin had to leave during a Celebrity Jeopardy rehearsal, so Tom Hanks stood in for him.

This was when Meyers learned Tom Hanks has a killer Tony Bennett impression.

Biggest spontaneous applause was Wayne and Garth thanked the crew. Audience immediately gave the crew a standing ovation. Paul Simon thanking the house band also drew a big response.

Favorite little moment was when Michael Douglas referred to himself as a "sexual icon" and Catherine Zeta-Jones's head snapped in reaction. Douglas was supposed to stand up for his question, but since he stayed seated, Zeta Jones was in the shot.

(The Q&A segment was written primarily by John Mulaney and Jerry Seinfeld.)

A lot of the skits down live were chosen as representative of the history of the show, and to get as many people on stage as possible.

Twinkle & Stink were a late add to send the sports segment to commercial because they wanted Will Forte to be on the stage.

Bass-O-Matic commercial happened because Akroyd asked Lorne if he could do it live.

The Lonely Island guys operated in a vacuum and didn't finish their video until the day before the show. Huge relief when it came in on time, so funny, and covering an inside baseball topic.

They didn't know what Eddie Murphy was going to do after Chris Rock introduced him. Possible that Murphy got wrapped up in the moment. Rock's introduction was so good and so heartfelt it ended up being a tough act to follow.

They didn't know what Eddie Murphy was going to do after Chris Rock introduced him. Possible that Murphy got wrapped up in the moment. Rock's introduction was so good and so heartfelt it ended up being a tough act to follow.
That's another thing that bothered me. Chris Rock was a legend in his own right on this show. Did he do anything all night except introduce Eddie? Where's Nat X when you need him?

That's another thing that bothered me. Chris Rock was a legend in his own right on this show. Did he do anything all night except introduce Eddie? Where's Nat X when you need him?
No he wasn't. Chris Rock barely got any time when he was on the cast. He became big after.

Yeah. Chris Rock was mostly a no-name on the show. He got hyped as the next Eddie Murphy but they didn't give him much to do.

I was surprised that Dave Chapelle never hosted. I mean it seems like a perfect fit so not sure what the holdup was.

I can't imagine he wasn't asked during his ~2 years on top of cable comedy, but he already had a sketch show on his own terms.

He was there too Sunday, not sure why..

Users who are viewing this thread