What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (3 Viewers)

Two things I was reminded of today while thinking about this show:

1. How in the Holy Hell do you hire all those bums over the years but you didn't take a shot on Jim Carrey?! What was that bit he did...Nuclear Elvis? That's hilarious.

2. Deniro is insanely bad at his lines. I remember him being awful but wow...he never seems to disappoint...or should I say, impress.

Makes me wonder how many takes must be necessary to shoot a film with him...unreal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things I was reminded of today while thinking about this show:

1. How in the Holy Hell do you hire all those bums over the years but you didn't take a shot on Jim Carrey?! What was that bit he did...Nuclear Elvis? That's hilarious.
Post-nuclear Elvis. That looked great.

Makes me wonder how many takes must be necessary to shoot a film with him...unreal.
I think he actually prepares for the movie roles. When he was younger, he was method and dove really deep into them. In the preshiw interview, he said he liked doing SNL because there was no thinking involved. You just show up, do what they ask, read the cards and that's it.

I think he actually prepares for the movie roles. When he was younger, he was method and dove really deep into them. In the preshiw interview, he said he liked doing SNL because there was no thinking involved. You just show up, do what they ask, read the cards and that's it.
I'm a big DeNiro fan and SNL is just not a good fit for him. I can get a kick out of it because he is who he is, and it makes me laugh, but it's probably not helping him with most people. I could see him being tough to work with on a film set if he's not into what he's doing.

It seems like his ego is getting in the way. I just listened to audio of Jim Brewer describing the conversation between David Spade and Eddie after the falling star joke and it doesn't appear that he can laugh at himself, or at least not for SNL.
hey, waitaminute, where was Breuer in the SNL40 celebration? I don't recall seeing any mention of him in the thing. He did some great re-occuring bits with Joe Pesci Show and Goatboy in the day.
I thought I saw him sitting in the audience during Seinfeld's Q and A segment.

Simmons BS Report recapping the show was a good listen. Agreed, the special really short-changed **** Ebersol.

Figured out what Simmons meant by "inside baseball" when referring to the "You're Simply the Best" parody digital short. Was a call-back to the Tina Turner sketch they were accused of stealing earlier in the season.
This was great. Wish the Seth Myers podcast was longer. Myers is going to be on Howard Stern next week BTW so I'm sure there will be more SNL40 discussion.

It seems like his ego is getting in the way. I just listened to audio of Jim Brewer describing the conversation between David Spade and Eddie after the falling star joke and it doesn't appear that he can laugh at himself, or at least not for SNL.
hey, waitaminute, where was Breuer in the SNL40 celebration? I don't recall seeing any mention of him in the thing. He did some great re-occuring bits with Joe Pesci Show and Goatboy in the day.
Wow good call. Goat Boy and JOe Pesci show were staples for the time he was on the show.

Breuer has been candid about his backstage issues with other SNL cast members and writers. That might have been what kept him off the stage at SNL40. He's said some unflattering things about Adam McKay in particular.

Breuer has been candid about his backstage issues with other SNL cast members and writers. That might have been what kept him off the stage at SNL40. He's said some unflattering things about Adam McKay in particular.
There were A LOT of former cast members who didn't get on the stage during the special. I'm not sure why anyone would think that Breuer not being up there is all that shocking.

There were A LOT of former cast members who didn't get on the stage during the special. I'm not sure why anyone would think that Breuer not being up there is all that shocking.
Breuer was right about on the cut line. Just about every former regular cast member with more tenure than Breuer that weren't Ebersol-era or deceased participated in the show.

Dennis Miller was probably the most conspicuous absence.

Breuer was right about on the cut line. Just about every former regular cast member with more tenure than Breuer that weren't Ebersol-era or deceased participated in the show.

Chris Parnell, Al Franken, Cheri Oteri, Rob Schneider, Nora Dunn, Chris Kattan, Julia Sweeney, Horatio Sanz, Mark McKinney, Bobby Moynihan, Abby Elliot.

I could go on. I don't hear anyone talking about them, so not sure why anyone is even talking about Breuer.

Chris Parnell, Al Franken, Cheri Oteri, Rob Schneider, Nora Dunn, Chris Kattan, Julia Sweeney, Horatio Sanz, Mark McKinney, Bobby Moynihan, Abby Elliot.

I could go on. I don't hear anyone talking about them, so not sure why anyone is even talking about Breuer.
Well it is the Year of the Goat so it does make some sense.

Wow. Yeah, I saw Parnell and Franken in the audience and they showed Kattan in the interview clips, but I didn't see him in any skits. Funny to think about how many people say SNL sucks and hasn't been memorable but then we can all come up with skits and characters we can't believe weren't included. I've always maintained that the show has always been mostly bad skits with memorable bits of brilliance. Even back in the heyday most 90 minutes episodes were 70 minutes of totally forgettable skits.

I've always maintained that the show has always been mostly bad skits with memorable bits of brilliance. Even back in the heyday most 90 minutes episodes were 70 minutes of totally forgettable skits.
Yup, been saying this forever. Although I still enjoy the majority of the forgettable skits. They're just not going to show up in a "best of" compilation.

shuke said:
Bruce Dickinson said:
shuke said:
Bruce Dickinson said:
Breuer was right about on the cut line. Just about every former regular cast member with more tenure than Breuer that weren't Ebersol-era or deceased participated in the show.Dennis Miller was probably the most conspicuous absence.

I was surprised Oteri wasn't on stage.

I thought Parnell made a cameo in the Lonely Island song, but I might be wrong about that.

Franken was never a regular cast member, but certainly had enough air time and history with the show to warrant a mention. But they didn't put longtime writers like Jim Downey or Robert Smeigel on stage, either.

Not sure if Schnieder or McKinney appeared in more episodes than Breuer.

Nora Dunn and Julia Sweeney have trashed Lorne and the show so much they probaby didn't get invited.

Kattan and Sanz were never funny on the show, but got plenty of air time on clips. Sanz was part of the biggest gag from the Lonely Island song.

Would have liked to see Abby Elliott there. And Nasim Pedrad. Both of them got hosed during their last couple seasons.

Moynihan is still in the cast. Was he the only active regular cast member not on stage? Did Jay Pharoah appear?

shuke said:
Gator Shawn said:
I've always maintained that the show has always been mostly bad skits with memorable bits of brilliance. Even back in the heyday most 90 minutes episodes were 70 minutes of totally forgettable skits.
Yup, been saying this forever. Although I still enjoy the majority of the forgettable skits. They're just not going to show up in a "best of" compilation.
Agreed. Which is why the Louis CK bit about doing it live was so funny, but uncomfortable considering the audience.

shuke said:
Bruce Dickinson said:
shuke said:
Bruce Dickinson said:
Breuer was right about on the cut line. Just about every former regular cast member with more tenure than Breuer that weren't Ebersol-era or deceased participated in the show.Dennis Miller was probably the most conspicuous absence.

I thought Parnell made a cameo in the Lonely Island song, but I might be wrong about that.

Franken was never a regular cast member, but certainly had enough air time and history with the show to warrant a mention. But they didn't put longtime writers like Jim Downey or Robert Smeigel on stage, either.

Nora Dunn and Julia Sweeney have trashed Lorne and the show so much they probaby didn't get invited.

Kattan and Sanz were never funny on the show, but got plenty of air time on clips. Sanz was part of the biggest gag from the Lonely Island song.

Would have liked to see Abby Elliott there. And Nasim Pedrad. Both of them got hosed during their last couple seasons.

Moynihan is still in the cast. Was he the only active regular cast member not on stage? Did Jay Pharoah appear?
Ebersol only got a, blink and you'll miss it, still right after the Murphy confusion. Showrunner for four years. He also hired Michaels.

shuke said:
Bruce Dickinson said:
shuke said:
Bruce Dickinson said:

Moynihan was the land shark!

Did Carvey really do The Church Lady and Chopping Broccoli in his audition?
I'm pretty certain they were both parts of his stand-up routine before he was on SNL. I remember him on Night at the Improv pre-SNL and seeing him do Chopping Broccoli for sure.

When they showed the auditions, they ran through five that didn't make the show: Jim Carrey, Steven Colbert, someone, Kevin Hart, and Andy Kaufman.

Who was that guy between Colbert and Hart?

I saw a one paragraph article somewhere (not going to bother trying to find it) in which Cheri Oteri said she couldn't make it due to an unfortunate scheduling conflict. Nothing more, nothing less. She said she loved her time there, she just simply couldn't make it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a one paragraph article somewhere (not going to bother trying to find it) in which Cheri Oteri said she couldn't make it due to an unfortunate scheduling conflict. Nothing more, nothing less. She said she loved her time there, she just simply couldn't make it.
Her TV\movie career is over...and she passed on 30M viewers?

Her TV\movie career is over...and she passed on 30M viewers?
This is even more than I had originally seen, and it's still not much.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/cheri-oteri-saturday-night-live-anniversary-special/

I'm pretty certain they were both parts of his stand-up routine before he was on SNL. I remember him on Night at the Improv pre-SNL and seeing him do Chopping Broccoli for sure.
So if a comedian today has Carvey's level of talent and experience at that stage, is SNL in his picture?

So if a comedian today has Carvey's level of talent and experience at that stage, is SNL in his picture?
Possibly. It's never a lock though. They passed on jim carrey. In the early 90s snl hired a ton of NY comedians as cast members or writers but they passed on louis ck.

I think they want people with a strong history of improv...rather than stand up comics.

I think they want people with a strong history of improv...rather than stand up comics.
I'm wondering about the talent side...does a guy who gets a Tonight Show spot just skip over SNL? But a known improv comic strives for a spot?

Users who are viewing this thread