What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (1 Viewer)

Louie's gotta have serious #### YOU money to do a monologue about how great child molestation must be.
I saw some outrage on FB about it...I thought it was pretty funny...and he may be right, it might be his last time hosting. lol. Louie rules.
I have to think anyone who complained about that monologue are people who have never seen Louie CK standup before. And my guess is quite a few people in the live audience were a bit unfamiliar, too.

I usually like Louis but honestly feel the monologue was him trying a bit too hard to be controversial.

The joke just didn't land...I can laugh at a funeral of a family member...I find humor anywhere...so, it's not the crass nature of it...it just wasn't all that funny.

I think the joke needed more work...it could be classic and pretty funny but just didn't seem like he'd worked on it enough to tighten it up.

KEVIN SPACEY IMPRESSION POWER RANKINGS

(From episode he hosted in 1997, replayed last night on SNL Vintage)

1. Walter Matthau screen testing for the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi

2. Jack Lemmon screen testing for the role of Chewbacca

3. Christopher Walken screen testing for the roles of Han Solo

4. Al Pacino, guest on Joe Pesci Show

5. William Hurt, guest on Letterman
Tremendous episode.

Also, Norm's bit as Letterman was hilarious.

I usually like Louis but honestly feel the monologue was him trying a bit too hard to be controversial.

The joke just didn't land...I can laugh at a funeral of a family member...I find humor anywhere...so, it's not the crass nature of it...it just wasn't all that funny.

I think the joke needed more work...it could be classic and pretty funny but just didn't seem like he'd worked on it enough to tighten it up.
Finally got around to watching this episode last week. I definitely liked the edge of the joke. I don't know if it was that he didn't work on it or maybe just that he was feeling like it wasn't going to go well, so he kind of bailed.

But I liked that and the Rock one about 9/11. (was that this season or last?) I think that anything that is off-kilter is great. Don't need another song or sketches about people sitting around in an office or a living room.

I always think that Louie looks remarkably like Conan when he is wearing wigs on SNL (changing his hairline).

Emmy nominations out.

Both the show and the 40th Anniversary Special nominated for best in category and some technical awards.

Kate McKinnon nominated for Supporting Actress, Comedy

Bill Hader and Louis C.K. both nominated for Guest Actor, Comedy for their hosting stints

(OMG the Hader episode was hilarious; they reran it recently, Hader as the Cat In The Hat had me :lmao: even on repeat viewing)

Started to list SNL alumni nominations but that escalated too quickly.

I think 7/15 was the date for all the cast to be told whether they are back or not.
Curious to see if they put much energy this summer towards seeing up their own 2016 election run.

Taran Killam is a glue guy playing the alpha role on the show, but he's too good to let go.

Kenan Thompson should be moving on, but what else is out there for him to do better? He's said he's back this fall, anyway.

IIRC, SNL cast members have to sign 6- or 7-year deals when they join the cast, so McKinnon and Strong are under team control for a while yet. They will need McKinnon to play Hillary Clinton next season for sure.

Jay Pharaoh hasn't broken out despite some dead-on-amazing impersonations, and it will be tough to break in a new Obama.

Bobby Moynihan seems to have run his course as a cast member, but Lorne loves his energy level in cold opens, and he's gotten some big laughs as Chris Christie.

I expect Beck Bennett and Kyle Mooney to get promoted to full cast member status. Bennett is a great all-around actor, does a solid Donald Trump. Mooney really grew on me this season. There's a patience to his performances some of his fellow cast members could/should adopt. I wonder if he can play Bernie Sanders.

I'm a fan of Vanessa Bayer, but the show seems to have told her it's time to move on much like it shoved Nasim Pedrad out the way. Hope she catches on in an ensemble sitcom.

Aidy Bryant sure makes much more of an impression that her screen time percentage indicates. I expect an uptick next season for her, even if her role in political sketches will be limited to debate moderator and such.

Probably time to bump Sasheer Zamata. She's a triple-threat, but can't really carry a sketch.

Pete Davidson didn't do much in sketches, but ####### DESTROYED SEVERAL TIMES in the Weekend Update commentary chair. I'm buying-and-holding my Davidson stock.

If Leslie Jones is fine with being a force of nature for four minutes per show and exiting before she wears out her welcome, bring her back. Great in small doses, longer runs expose her technical flaws.

Not quite sure what to do about the Weekend Update desk.

Colin Jost has proven he's not worthy of the chair. Offer him his old seat in the writer's room, but he's got to be done as an on-camera talent.

Michael Che improved as the season went on, but was still flubbing a bunch of lines even when staring right at the cue cards right under the camera.

Beck Bennett has a newscaster's look and voice, but he has too much range otherwise; it would be a misstep like chaining Cecily Strong behind the WU desk was.

Maybe promote a writer/performer, like Mike O'Brien or Tim Robinson. Or bring back John Mulaney.

They'd be smart to give Kenan Thompson and Bobby Moynihan 0% and give their combined time to Pete Davidson, he's actually funny.
Pete Davidson didn't do much in sketches, but ####### DESTROYED SEVERAL TIMES in the Weekend Update commentary chair. I'm buying-and-holding my Davidson stock.
:hifive:

Davidson has the IT-factor when it comes to comedy. Reminds me a little of Jim Carrey on In Living Colour back in the day. Not quite that over the top but his look and facial expressions just make you laugh before he even starts making a joke. My guess is they will underutilize him and then he'll get aggravated and leave before he becomes a star.

Lorne supposedly loves Kenan, so I guess he will be on there for as long as he wants.

I think this past year was Moynihan's last of the original contract, so not sure what will happen with him. He has at least one voice gig on an animated series. I'm sure he could latch on as a supporting player on a sitcom somewhere.

Lorne supposedly loves Kenan, so I guess he will be on there for as long as he wants.

I think this past year was Moynihan's last of the original contract, so not sure what will happen with him. He has at least one voice gig on an animated series. I'm sure he could latch on as a supporting player on a sitcom somewhere.
I know Kenan has caught a lot of flack in this thread as a no-talent guy but he consistently makes me laugh. Plus he seems like a team player.

Pete Davidson killed on the Update. Can't stand Miley.
I went to Citi Field in NY to see a kid that played on my son's HS team (Christian Yelich, Miami Marlins). Pete Davidson did a whole bit because somebody said he looked like Yelich. Came out in uniform, warmed up on the field, players didn't know who he was. Everyone else was in on it. TV crews everywhere, etc. Pete took batting practice (terrible), shagged flies, etc. Very funny dude. The fact Yelich signed a 7 year, $49M deal at 23 and went 8-8 in his first 8 at bats in a doubleheader today is another story...

http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/articles/2015/09/15/marlins-surprise-christian-yelich-with-lookalike-from-snl

Was the Pope skit in the weekend update the WORST thing SNL has ever done?

Looks like Jost and that dude who plays the Pope realized about 15 seconds in the skit was a complete disaster and they even looked embarrassed to participate.

yikes. not even a 1/10 for that one

While I thought the Millenials skit was funny it hit awful close to home. I hate working with millenials

Larry David as Bernie Sanders.

Good stuff.
Overshadowed Alec Baldwin as Jim Webb, too.Dug the episode overall. Safari Planet shouldn't work, but damn Morgan just squeezes every possible laugh out of it. The camel literally upstaged him for a moment, but no one got hurt so it was all good.

I liked Leslie Jones during the Family Feud sketch. She got Kenan to break, which at this stage of his tenure is really tough to do. Thought the writing was a little sloppy - there was one unnecessary line in exposition that would have been a lot better unsaid - but I could see a panicked writers room adding that line after dress rehearsal if the dress crowd didn't pick up the premise quickly enough.

Michael Che is growing on me at the WU desk. Tina Fey is always welcome on Weekend Update as far as I'm concerned, but it did send a reminder of how amateurish Colin Jost still is.

Overall the cast seems to be improving, either broadening their range or hitting spots better.

It is ironic, but sadly too common, to see many liberal editorials criticizing SNL for putting Trump on their show. The hypocrisy from those who soppisively support free-speech and equal-treatment is off the charts. I have not seen it yet, but the reviews and commentary from both sides is so ridiculously bias, I have no idea how it was. It was either hilarious or the most unfunny sketch of all-time depending on the political leaning.

Users who are viewing this thread