What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So how will GB use Franklin? (1 Viewer)

Goldfinger007

Footballguy
Looks like Lacy is going to be a full go. So where does that leave Franklin? Will he get enough touches to be relevant in ppr?

I doubt it. GB has been pretty consistent in using a workhorse back, the last few years. It's different guys, based on injury or performance. But on a per game basis, it's been one guy. It was all Lacy, then all Starks. I expect all Lacy, if he's healthy.

I'm gonna say 65/35 Lacy in terms of snaps and 70/30 Lacy in terms of combined utilization, at least for this week. Franklin will have to earn more, and will with higher efficiency numbers once the dust settles (assuming he doesn't put the ball on the ground again).

Franklin looked awesome with 126 yards from scrimmage... I would say they would be smart to use him some.... 10 touches maybe?

I'm gonna say 65/35 Lacy in terms of snaps and 70/30 Lacy in terms of combined utilization, at least for this week. Franklin will have to earn more, and will with higher efficiency numbers once the dust settles (assuming he doesn't put the ball on the ground again).
Way too optimistic for Franklin, more like 85/15... I don't care how he looked, he had the most costly play of the game... That can earn the coaches confidence - They drafted Lacy to be the workhorse and I don't think Franklin has any value whatsoever outside of a handcuff.

Leave it at this, if Franklin is in your lineup this week, your team is in really bad shape.

I wouldn't start Franklin in any leagues this week. I think it's pretty safe to say that Lacy is the goal line back and should get at least 50-60% of all carries this week unless Franklin clearly looks superior right off the start.

Way too optimistic for Franklin, more like 85/15... I don't care how he looked, he had the most costly play of the game... That can earn the coaches confidence - They drafted Lacy to be the workhorse and I don't think Franklin has any value whatsoever outside of a handcuff.

Leave it at this, if Franklin is in your lineup this week, your team is in really bad shape.
I don't disagree. What are everyone's about Lacy this week, coming on after a concussion? That's my only worry; that they ease him in. I guess if he was cleared two days ago, he's probably a good play for the lion's share of work and all goal line looks.

If you're holding Franklin right now it's either as a cuff for Lacy or as a lottery ticket as Lacy is one hard hit away from IR. I wouldn't expect much from Franklin as long as Lacy is healthy.

I don't disagree. What are everyone's about Lacy this week, coming on after a concussion? That's my only worry; that they ease him in. I guess if he was cleared two days ago, he's probably a good play for the lion's share of work and all goal line looks.
i think this week he sees at least 75% of all snaps, next week he only comes off the field for breathers... He is going to get every opportunity to own this position.

Unless he gets hurt, Franklin has minimal value.

I don't know guys. I wouldn't risk starting Franklin, but I'm not so sure this is such a cut and dry situation. Franklin looks like he could add an awfully explosive element to that offense. That was a very stout front seven he was running against and a couple of his biggest runs occurred when the defense had him sewn up, but he set his blocks up well and turned them into big gains. That was very impressive. He also looks like a good receiver out of the backfield and looked like he could pick up a blitz as well. I think that game would be hard to ignore. Of course everyone wants to make a big deal about his fumble, but then that's conveniently forgetting about Lacy's big fumble in week one in which he turned the ball over at his own 14 yard line, allowing the 9'ers to go up by 7. Doubt McCarthy has forgotten about that one.

Anyone thinking this is cut and dry after what Franklin did against Cincy is in for a surprise. He looked legit. My favorite comp to him, Tiki Barber fumbled a lot too. If Tiki had played with Rodgers it would've been lights out.

That said, Lacy is solid and will get his. I smell RBBC until one gets dinged.

I don't know guys. I wouldn't risk starting Franklin, but I'm not so sure this is such a cut and dry situation. Franklin looks like he could add an awfully explosive element to that offense. That was a very stout front seven he was running against and a couple of his biggest runs occurred when the defense had him sewn up, but he set his blocks up well and turned them into big gains. That was very impressive. He also looks like a good receiver out of the backfield and looked like he could pick up a blitz as well. I think that game would be hard to ignore. Of course everyone wants to make a big deal about his fumble, but then that's conveniently forgetting about Lacy's big fumble in week one in which he turned the ball over at his own 14 yard line, allowing the 9'ers to go up by 7. Doubt McCarthy has forgotten about that one.
This is unquestionably Franklin's biggest strength - he's patient and he waits for blocking to set up. Which is the toughest thing to get rookie running backs to do, in my opinion.

My guess is that GB uses Lacy almost exclusively until they realize he's not getting it done, and then Franklin sets the field on fire for a bit. Whether that's the first quarter or the fourth is anyone's guess.

Anyone that thinks they know what is going to happen is lying. So, unless you have no other options, I'd bench Franklin.

But he showed a big spark against Cincinnati. He should be on the radar in all formats and if he's on waivers, he should be added.

I'm benching Lacy and Franklin this week. My gut says Lacy will get an 80/20 split, but I think if you have the ability to wait it out a week, it's a good idea.

I think they would be smart to use Franklin for more than a 80/20 split that some are suggesting. He looked explosive and very fast/agile to me. Would be a great 1-2 punch with Lacy.

That being said, I expect Lacy to likely be the workhorse back, but Franklin has definitely earned some touches now at least. You'd think that they would ease Lacy in a bit, but with a head injury I guess your either good to go at 100% physically or your not.

Last edited by a moderator:
That being said, I expect Lacy to likely be the workhorse back, but Franklin has definitely earned some touches now at least. You'd think that they would ease Lacy in a bit, but with a head injury I guess your either good to go at 100% physically or your not.
And he most likely unearned a good deal of touches thanks to his late fumble that directly led to GB losing that game.

And he most likely unearned a good deal of touches thanks to his late fumble that directly led to GB losing that game.
Fumblitis can be cured, lack of talent cannot. :P

If Lacy is the better back fine, but you can't make that argument. First game of the season on the road against the reigning NFC champs. Tied ballgame 7-7 backed up inside your own 20. You call a nice safe running play and your rookie RB (Lacy) doesn't protect the football. Coughs it up on your 14, 9'ers proceed to go up by 7. You lose 34-28. While I'm sure all the Lacy owners have conveniently forgot about that one, something tells me Mike McCarthy has not.

If Lacy is the better back fine, but you can't make that argument. First game of the season on the road against the reigning NFC champs. Tied ballgame 7-7 backed up inside your own 20. You call a nice safe running play and your rookie RB (Lacy) doesn't protect the football. Coughs it up on your 14, 9'ers proceed to go up by 7. You lose 34-28. While I'm sure all the Lacy owners have conveniently forgot about that one, something tells me Mike McCarthy has not.
Lacy came back and was quite effective that game. I havent forgotten about it, but big difference between being the starter and fumbling in the 1st quarter, and being a 3rd stringer who is on the field because he's the only option available and fumbling a ball that is recovered and returned for a TD with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

How can you not make the argument that Lacy is the better back? He outright won the starting RB job over the other GB RBs.

I'm not so sure Lacy does what Franklin did against the bengals def. franklin is a much more explosive back with crisper cuts and a higher gear than Lacy.

Lacy came back and was quite effective that game. I havent forgotten about it, but big difference between being the starter and fumbling in the 1st quarter, and being a 3rd stringer who is on the field because he's the only option available and fumbling a ball that is recovered and returned for a TD with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

How can you not make the argument that Lacy is the better back? He outright won the starting RB job over the other GB RBs.
I'm not arguing that Franklin is clearly the better back for that team, but i did witness him make some very impressive plays against one of the best front 7's in the league that I'm positive Lacy would not have made. Which was the more critical turnover? I don't think that's clear cut either. I guess it kinda depends on whether or not GB ends up having to take a trip to the bay come January.

Well, since you asked...One could make the argument that Franklin is the type of player that is underwhelming in practice situations when it "doesn't count", and a completely different player when placed in a real game. Someone on the boards mentioned this was the reputation Shaun Alexander had. Additionally, you could argue that the reason Lacy started the season might have been because he took quicker to the playbook and system, and by this point in the season Franklin may have had ample opportunity to catch up in the mental aspect. Finally, maybe Green Bay, like Denver, places a high priority on pass protection, which is an area that Franklin hypothetically fell short in compared to Lacy. One could say that he may have made large improvements in this area since week one, and equaled or overcome Lacy. The last thing I'll point out is that talent doesn't always equal the most successful back. A one-cut and go back might be perfect for a zone-blocking scheme, but not another. We saw this with Darren Mcfadden, where he excelled in a power blocking scheme one year, and couldn't carry his former self's jockstrap the following year when it was switched to zone. Maybe Franklin fits the system better than Lacy does. I'm just playing devil's advocate.

My point is there are plenty of angles to this story and it's not nearly as clear-cut as you're making it out to be. However, I personally think Lacy comes back and gets the lions share of carries FWIW.

Which is the better pass blocker?
Lacy, in my opinion. Franklin seems willing but and adequate but what I saw in the game against the Bengals is he isn't as stout as Lacy at the point of attack when taking on a blitzer and he didn't seem to have an instinctual-level grasp of blitz pick up assignments. He did well, overall, but in the small sample size compared to the small sample size for Lacy I feel like Lacy has the edge here.

FWIW, preseason buzz was that Lacy was far ahead of Franklin in pass-pro in camp

Users who are viewing this thread