What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Social Security administration office (1 Viewer)

Galileo

Footballguy
This sucks...been here about 15 min so far.   20some people ahead of me.  They have called one customer in the time I have been here. 

...and some of these people flat out smell bad.  This is going to be a fun couple hours.

Ooooh they just called another...

Someone’s phone just went off and the security guard literally yelled at everyone that their phones need to be on vibrate!  He’s in a good mood...

I was quite thankful that I was able to handle my wife's SS over the phone and via email.  Quite frankly, it was extremely easy getting her on SSDI.

There’s a guy here who looks a lot like Bob Dylan.  He keeps getting pissed and arguing with the security guard every time someone else gets called.  There is a weird system here where you don’t get called in order of arrival, but instead it is based on the nature of your issue and who you need to see.  Bob doesn’t appear to understand the system too well and is upset people that have been here a shorter time are getting called ahead of him. 

Galileo said:
There’s a guy here who looks a lot like Bob Dylan.  He keeps getting pissed and arguing with the security guard every time someone else gets called.  There is a weird system here where you don’t get called in order of arrival, but instead it is based on the nature of your issue and who you need to see.  Bob doesn’t appear to understand the system too well and is upset people that have been here a shorter time are getting called ahead of him. 
He better leave the security guard alone or he'll be knockin' on heaven's door soon.

He better leave the security guard alone or he'll be knockin' on heaven's door soon.
He’s a strange dude.  He is clutching a United States Postal Service Priority Mail envelope that has “Property Tax” written in big letters on it.  I wonder If I should tell him he is in the wrong place.

Well Bob Dylan's number was eventually called.  He was totally unresponsive when it happened.  

Random person: "um...sir, isn't that you?"

Bob {crickets, likely writing his next protest song lyrics in his head}

Other random person: "Excuse me. They are calling you"

Another random person:   "Hey, its your turn"

Bob: "huh"

About eight people in chorus: " Go...go it's your number".

Goes back, returns a couple minutes later without his envelope...smiles and waves to security guard then leaves.

As for my own experience...Hour and a half of waiting for them to tell me to go pound salt...would not recognize my POA to act on behalf of my father.  Had I been able to reach a live person rather than recorded bull#### when I tried calling a few days prior this probably could have been avoided.   :hot:

Well Bob Dylan's number was eventually called.  He was totally unresponsive when it happened.  

Random person: "um...sir, isn't that you?"

Bob {crickets, likely writing his next protest song lyrics in his head}

Other random person: "Excuse me. They are calling you"

Another random person:   "Hey, its your turn"

Bob: "huh"

About eight people in chorus: " Go...go it's your number".

Goes back, returns a couple minutes later without his envelope...smiles and waves to security guard then leaves.

As for my own experience...Hour and a half of waiting for them to tell me to go pound salt...would not recognize my POA to act on behalf of my father.  Had I been able to reach a live person rather than recorded bull#### when I tried calling a few days prior this probably could have been avoided.   :hot:
There is a specific POA form you need to use for SSA.  They will not recognize any other.  PM me if you have some questions.

Sounds lousy. My kid and I had to go to the Social Security office this week - got there 15 minutes before it opened and were about 10th in line. Had to wait for about an hour.

One thing that strikes me about having to use the DMV or go to Social Security is that it's one of the few times in my upper middle class life where I'm subjected to the same uncaring and powerful bureaucracy that less affluent people have to face all the time. Public transportation, courts, public assistance offices, etc. What I perceive as an ordeal that I must be withstood once every 2 or 3 years - and is so annoying that you started a thread about it - is a matter of everyday life for a lot of people. Makes me appreciate what I have, and how hard it must be just to live if you're less well-off.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack. Just something I was thinking about as I waited for an hour on Tuesday morning.

Yea I have to go next month to apply for S.S. benefits.  I turn 62 in Dec.  Really not looking forward to it I'm sure it's going to take hours.

Damn need to go soon to get a replacement social security card.  Not looking for that visit at all.  So you're saying I probably should just plan to spend a chunk of my day there?

Galileo said:
Of course he's angry, they left him blowing in the wind. 

Damn need to go soon to get a replacement social security card.  Not looking for that visit at all.  So you're saying I probably should just plan to spend a chunk of my day there?
A couple tips...

1. Do it online and avoid the brick and mortar if at all possible.

2. Set up an appointment, if you can.  Appointments get a higher priority than walk ins.  Unfortunately, when I tried to call to set up an appointment and ask what I should bring, I discovered there is no direct number for the local office.  Calling the 800 number led me to "your approximate wait time will be 66 minutes" when trying to talk to a live person.  Little did I know, that in my case, that would have been time well spent.

There is a specific POA form you need to use for SSA.  They will not recognize any other.  PM me if you have some questions.
You can PM me also.  I became my mother's legal guardian.  I still had to be a representative payee.  All that info is available online.

I was fortunate.  They just built a brand new facility near my house.  Everything was streamlined.  There was a separate section for those getting new cards.  And the line to beciome a representative had one person in it- me.  I waited about fifteen seconds after I sat down.  Fastest thing ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread