What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solar Eclipse 2024 (1 Viewer)

Looking forward to this tomorrow. Weather looks to be partly cloudy... About the best you can expect this time of year in Northeast Ohio. Bought my glasses over a year ago. Family still makes fun of me for that. My son qualified for the National Army Combatants tournament this week at Ft. Moore in Georgia. I told my wife "REALLY?? Once in a lifetime event and we don't have to travel and I'm going to NOT be in Ohio???". Luckily he doesn't fight until later this week. We'll head down there on Tuesday to watch.

I’m off this week from work. My son doesn’t have class either, so we are gonna pick up my daughter from UC at 1:15 and truck up into Indiana (maybe Batesville or wherever we end up getting stuck in traffic if that happens).

Don’t care if it’s overcast the whole time. At 22 and 18, I recognize the clock is ticking on mini-adventures with my kids, and they are excited about it, so it’s gonna be awesome regardless.

The weather people told us this morning would be cloudy. There’s not a single cloud in the sky. They say 50% chance of high, thin cirrus clouds at 3 PM. I guess we’ll see what actually happens. Crossing my fingers.

ETA: Supposed to be 75 today. Color me shocked that there’s actually nice weather in IN.

The weather people told us this morning would be cloudy. There’s not a single cloud in the sky. They say 50% chance of high, thin cirrus clouds at 3 PM. I guess we’ll see what actually happens. Crossing my fingers.

ETA: Supposed to be 75 today. Color me shocked that there’s actually nice weather in IN.

My friends are making the two hour drive from Mich to Kokomo. It is nice out.

Visiting friends in Buffalo this weekend and today for the eclipse. It was absolutely beautiful Saturday and Sunday. Weather forecast for today doesn't sound great so hoping for the best.

The wife and I both have to work tomorrow so we're leaving to go home to Pittsburgh around 5:00. Hopefully traffic won't be a complete disaster but we will be going through Erie which was expecting hundreds of thousands today.

Looking forward to this tomorrow. Weather looks to be partly cloudy... About the best you can expect this time of year in Northeast Ohio. Bought my glasses over a year ago. Family still makes fun of me for that. My son qualified for the National Army Combatants tournament this week at Ft. Moore in Georgia. I told my wife "REALLY?? Once in a lifetime event and we don't have to travel and I'm going to NOT be in Ohio???". Luckily he doesn't fight until later this week. We'll head down there on Tuesday to watch.
Looks like about 30% of cloud cover where we’ll be in NEO this afternoon. I’ll take those odds.

Visiting friends in Buffalo this weekend and today for the eclipse. It was absolutely beautiful Saturday and Sunday. Weather forecast for today doesn't sound great so hoping for the best.

The wife and I both have to work tomorrow so we're leaving to go home to Pittsburgh around 5:00. Hopefully traffic won't be a complete disaster but we will be going through Erie which was expecting hundreds of thousands today.
I have a friend in Erie for it and she said it's pretty slammed up. But, hopefully, you'll be trailing the exodus.

Viewing glasses were in abundance at every store leading up to yesterday. Went to the local grocery store and gas station today, nothing. Not a pair of glasses to be found. Pretty sure they threw them away last night if they couldn't sell them.

So far it is a stunningly beautiful day. Traffic picking up. Local park is filling up, too. The local Foreign Legion is selling parking spots for only $25. Better than the $40 one park is charging.

Skies have cleared here (near London, ON Canada), also in the path of totality, so we should also get a great view.

Out at Hye Meadow Winery outside Fredericksburg, TX. Still lots of clouds, but sun coming out. Hope it stays that way. Starting to see a partial now.

Beautiful day here too. Can't remember where I put the eclipse glasses. Probably packed them already.

people cackling and standing around and making plans around this……these are the same people that come out to marathon races and stand around for 4 hours just rooting on the runners?

Clear skies and the sun's going to be in a hole amongst our trees in the view from our deck. Very lucky. Had no idea this thing would last so long though. From start to max coverage is 1h17m. And then another hour or so as it diminishes. Don't recall anything like that in 2017.

I still don't understand the hubbub over this.
It's unusual, out of the ordinary. Things outside the norm usually garner some attention. Sure, on the surface it is nothing but one object casting it's shadow on another. But when those objects are more massive than we can wrap our brains around and separated by a few hundred thousand miles with a light source 93 million miles away it becomes a little more spectacular. To me the best part of all this is that we can map it out and predict its occurrence down to fractions of a second and then watch those predictions unfold in front of our eyes. Albert Einstein once said "the most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it is comprehensible". This is one small artifact of the greater story of human intellect and reason...part of us figuring out our place within the cosmos.

It's unusual, out of the ordinary. Things outside the norm usually garner some attention. Sure, on the surface it is nothing but one object casting it's shadow on another. But when those objects are more massive than we can wrap our brains around and separated by a few hundred thousand miles with a light source 93 million miles away it becomes a little more spectacular. To me the best part of all this is that we can map it out and predict its occurrence down to fractions of a second and then watch those predictions unfold in front of our eyes. Albert Einstein once said "the most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it is comprehensible". This is one small artifact of the greater story of human intellect and reason...part of us figuring out our place within the cosmos.
I guess where it misses for me is that for all the "once in a lifetime" talk it sure seems to have happened quite a few times in my lifetime. I get that it's different and interesting to a point but it seems a lot like the grand canyon. It seems really awesome and for a minute or two its interesting and then it's just a big hole in the ground.

All that to say it's kind of anticlimactic

I guess where it misses for me is that for all the "once in a lifetime" talk it sure seems to have happened quite a few times in my lifetime. I get that it's different and interesting to a point but it seems a lot like the grand canyon. It seems really awesome and for a minute or two its interesting and then it's just a big hole in the ground.

Solar eclipses happen between 2-5 times per year. So they are not what is once in a lifetime. Total eclipses are more rare, but even those happen with fair regularity. There will be 9 more total eclipses before the year 2100. So that is not something that is once in a lifetime. But these eclipses can not be viewed from everywhere. The rare part is that any particular location on earth "sees" a total eclipse on average of once every 375 years. The last total eclipse visible from the Cleveland Ohio area (where I am) was in 1806. So statistically, it is a once in a lifetime event unless you go chasing them.

Last edited:

Grand Canyon being overrated or anti-climatic is quite the take.

User name checks out

Users who are viewing this thread