What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Some recipes for type 2 diabetics (1 Viewer)

NCCommish

Footballguy
My wife is Type 2 and they tell me I am on my way. I have been cooking for her for probably 3 years now and have come up with some recipes that are tasty, low to no carb, no sugar, high in protein and not hard. You really don't have to give up flavor and good food. You just have to do your research. These recipes helped her cut her A1C by almost 3 points getting her down out of the diabetic range. Now of course none of this should supersede anything your doctor has said. But I thought some folks might find this useful. 

And even if you're not diabetic these are good and healthy. 

So I thought I'd start with any easy one I like to make in the crock pot. It's only a few ingredients and you just put it in and forget it.

Ingredients:

Boneless skinless chicken thighs

I use thighs because I prefer the way they cook but boneless skinless chicken breast are just fine.

A couple of big jars of salsa.

I use mild because my wife isn't great with super spicy. 

I also add a can of diced tomatoes. 

All goes in the crock pot and cooks for 8 hrs on low or 4 on high.

I then serve it either over riced cauliflower or a substitute type of pasta kind of depends on my moods. There are lots of pastas you can use that won't impact your sugar levels.

And there you go. That's super easy, I use about 2 lbs of chicken so there's always leftovers for lunches and it's really well liked by even people not worried about sugar or carbs.

If people would like more of these I'll do more. If you have your own recipes let's see them. Any recommendations for stuff to sub in to replace problem ingredients? Post away. A lot of people suffer from this the American public is doused in sugar daily. So hopefully this can be some help.

I use thighs because I prefer the way they cook but boneless skinless chicken breast are just fine.
Skinless chicken legs (drumsticks) would probably work well too. Thighs and legs both are dark meat, so they have less of a chance of getting too dry like boneless skinless chicken breast.

A 3-point drop in A1C due to a change in diet is impressive.  :thumbup:   Keep posting recipes.... especially if they use the crock pot. l 
Well of course that included cutting the sugar out as well. But even that I tried to do reasonably with both of us. Occasionally a treat is ok but every day isn't a treat.

Intermittent fasting has really helped me get my A1C normalized I only eat or drink anything with calories for 8-10 hours a day. Other hours are only water, seltzer, coffe, tea. I also try to minimize refined carbs when I do eat, but just those daily, long periods of fasting really seem to help reset my glucose every day.

If I fast until 10-11am, then going until 1-2 is not that hard for me. That gives me until 9-10 at night to eat and drink. It gives me plenty of time to have a few drinks in the evening and stop around 10pm. It can be a bit hard to get started, but oince I go a few days, its pretty easy.

As far as recipes, the on that has made things easier for me is mashed cauliflower with, butter, milk, s&p and just enough instant potato flakes to get rid of most of the cauiflower taste. It probably has only 30-40% of the carbs as real mashed potatoes. With almost real mashed potatoes, I liek about any kind of meat. Costco chicken, steak, pork chops, whatever. I love them all with a side of mashed and ay kind of vegetable. I'm partiularly fond of Broccoli, asparagus, and salad. 

Tweaking the carbs and calories can help me lose more weight, but even if I don't and stay in the 8-10 hours window, the blood sugar stays in check. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Intermittent fasting has really helped me get my A1C normalized I only eat or drink anything with calories for 8-10 hours a day. Other hours are only water, seltzer, coffe, tea. I also try to minimize refined carbs when I do eat, but just those daily, long periods of fasting really seem to help reset my glucose every day.

If I fast until 10-11am, then going until 1-2 is not that hard for me. That gives me until 9-10 at night to eat and drink. It gives me plenty of time to have a few drinks in the evening and stop around 10pm. It can be a bit hard to get started, but oince I go a few days, its pretty easy.

As far as recipes, the on that has made things easier for me is mashed cauliflower with, butter, milk, s&p and just enough instant potato flakes to get rid of most of the cauiflower taste. It probably has only 30-40% of the carbs as real mashed potatoes. With almost real mashed potatoes, I liek about any kind of meat. Costco chicken, steak, pork chops, whatever. I love them all with a side of mashed and ay kind of vegetable. I'm partiularly fond of Broccoli, asparagus, and salad. 

Tweaking the carbs and calories can help me lose more weight, but even if I don't and stay in the 8-10 hours window, the blood sugar stays in check. 
I dont do well with the intermittent fasting thing myself but I know it seems to work well for a lot of folks. Thanks for the tip on the mashed.

Eating breakfast before going to work and thought I'd put this in.  Not really a big cook but still.

So my days start with original Quaker Oatmeal.

It does have some carbs but not a lot and they come from whole grains 27 g or about 1/3 the daily recommended. These are good for you on so many levels. Both heart and diabetes wise. 0 sugar. I add strawberries for flavor but any berry pretty much is good as they help with insulin sensitivity and they are chock full of other good stuff.

It's an easy good for you breakfast.

I mean have you read Bernstein's stuff?  It was mostly for T1 but can easily be adapted for T2.  Concept is the same. 

I mean have you read Bernstein's stuff?  It was mostly for T1 but can easily be adapted for T2.  Concept is the same. 
No I haven't this is just stuff I've researched and come up with on my own but I'll check that out thanks.

No I haven't this is just stuff I've researched and come up with on my own but I'll check that out thanks.

I mean be aware that it can be a little cultish.   If you get to the Facebook groups and stuff like that you'll find some really judgmental people in it. I suppose that is everywhere now though.  

I mean be aware that it can be a little cultish.   If you get to the Facebook groups and stuff like that you'll find some really judgmental people in it. I suppose that is everywhere now though.  
I don't Facebook, Tweet, Tik Tok or any of that. I tried Twitter for a bit but you get silo'd pretty quick and it becomes kind of masturbatory. 

I don't Facebook, Tweet, Tik Tok or any of that. I tried Twitter for a bit but you get silo'd pretty quick and it becomes kind of masturbatory. 
The thing is Facebook gathered a huge user base of super users for medical edge cases.  If you want support or questions on a range of rare diseases often the best and worst of it is found in these groups.  

Bernstein stuff is no different.  It's more or less a modified keto lifestyle with a lot of moving parts underneath.  Most T2 do return to non medicine status and T1 start rolling in a1c in the high 4s

The thing is Facebook gathered a huge user base of super users for medical edge cases.  If you want support or questions on a range of rare diseases often the best and worst of it is found in these groups.  

Bernstein stuff is no different.  It's more or less a modified keto lifestyle with a lot of moving parts underneath.  Most T2 do return to non medicine status and T1 start rolling in a1c in the high 4s
Yeah I basically looked at keto and used that as a jumping off point. So I guess I did some wheel reinventing but also this is about the stuff I've tried that seems to work and is also tasty.

Eating breakfast before going to work and thought I'd put this in.  Not really a big cook but still.

It does have some carbs but not a lot and they come from whole grains 27 g or about 1/3 the daily recommended. These are good for you on so many levels. Both heart and diabetes wise. 0 sugar. I add strawberries for flavor but any berry pretty much is good as they help with insulin sensitivity and they are chock full of other good stuff.

I like mine with cinnamon and some cream.

I can't imagine being in the 4s. The level of commitment it would take to be there is something I am not willing even try. I have had T1 for 45 years. i am for the most part healthy and happy with my low 7's. My body will simply not let me sleep at night if I am sub 120. 

Keep the recipes coming there NC. 

T1 control has gotten quite a bit easier with CGM and closed or semi closed loop systems.  Getting a CGM for a T2 is not impossible either.  There are now actually warnings/alerts out for giving a T1 with a A1 in the 8s a CGM because that alone can put them in the 5s just based on the knowledge gain.   A large dip like that has been known to actually rupture blood vessels in the eyes.  That is to say, it's an exceptionally powerful tool.  

I've got my wife on a G6+Riley running Fiasp and she's in the mid 5s with no special diet whatsoever.  

NCCommish said:
I then serve it either over riced cauliflower or a substitute type of pasta kind of depends on my moods. There are lots of pastas you can use that won't impact your sugar levels.
Can you share a decent low carb pasta? I feel like I've tried a ton of these and they all suck

Can you share a decent low carb pasta? I feel like I've tried a ton of these and they all suck
Maybe not what you need but gnocchi made from potato can require less insulin than other starch forms.  

It's a staple here. 

I really stick to whole grain pastas. The whole grain is good for your heart and helps mitigate diabetes especially type 2.

With that said I am planning on experimenting with making my own pasta from flour substitutes starting with almond flour which has about 20% of the carbs of regular flour. I already have used it a few times to sub for flour and it worked well. For instance my Thanksgiving gravy used almond flour and it was really good.

Haven't forgotten I have a good chili recipe I'm planning to post later but I thought for the moment  I'd talk about sweeteners. So after much research it seems the best choice is Stevia. It has anti-diabetic properties and is all natural. My next step is try to do some baking with it and almond flour. Diabetic safe cookies here we come?

I'm not diabetic, but I have been trying to eat better.  

I love having Overnight Oats for breakfast. 

I use bulk rolled oats, almond milk (not sugar free but not the highest calorie one), 2% greek yogurt, chia seeds, and frozen blueberries.  My serving size comes out to around 350 calories with some good fiber and healthy fats and keeps me sated until lunch time.  

I eat this probably 6 days a week for breakfast.  I do add hard boiled eggs often (on the side) to up the protein.

I use bulk rolled oats, almond milk (not sugar free but not the highest calorie one), 2% greek yogurt, chia seeds, and frozen blueberries.  My serving size comes out to around 350 calories with some good fiber and healthy fats and keeps me sated until lunch time.  

I eat this probably 6 days a week for breakfast.  I do add hard boiled eggs often (on the side) to up the protein.
My roomie used to do this and she really liked it. And hey doing it now hopefully means you want be forced to later.

Haven't forgotten I have a good chili recipe I'm planning to post later but I thought for the moment  I'd talk about sweeteners. So after much research it seems the best choice is Stevia. It has anti-diabetic properties and is all natural. My next step is try to do some baking with it and almond flour. Diabetic safe cookies here we come?

Almond flour is crazy expensive right now, so just brace for that.  I feel like it's at least 2 if not 3x as expensive as it was a year ago and it was already spendy.  It's also not the best for the planet, if that is a concern.   We do a little baking with it and mostly have switched to oat flour instead and often times lately just make oat flour ourselves which is more or less free.  Instead of stevia (which is gross) we would lean on baking with things that are naturally sweet like berries or blend in a banana or two.  

If trying to get more protein in using casein rather than whey powder is ideal.  It also works better for diabetics in terms of amino profiles (than whey).  Also using greek yogurt where it makes sense is nice. 

Bravo for your efforts.  It's a terrible disease.  My Dad died from complications and my brother is headed down the same road after his 2nd amputation.  Brutal.  Do whatever it takes to get in front of it.

Almond flour is crazy expensive right now, so just brace for that.  I feel like it's at least 2 if not 3x as expensive as it was a year ago and it was already spendy.  It's also not the best for the planet, if that is a concern.   We do a little baking with it and mostly have switched to oat flour instead and often times lately just make oat flour ourselves which is more or less free.  Instead of stevia (which is gross) we would lean on baking with things that are naturally sweet like berries or blend in a banana or two.  

If trying to get more protein in using casein rather than whey powder is ideal.  It also works better for diabetics in terms of amino profiles (than whey).  Also using greek yogurt where it makes sense is nice. 
I actually like the stevia. I can't use any of the artificial sweeteners they give me an instant headache. 

My wife is Type 2 and they tell me I am on my way. I have been cooking for her for probably 3 years now and have come up with some recipes that are tasty, low to no carb, no sugar, high in protein and not hard. You really don't have to give up flavor and good food. You just have to do your research. These recipes helped her cut her A1C by almost 3 points getting her down out of the diabetic range. Now of course none of this should supersede anything your doctor has said. But I thought some folks might find this useful. 

And even if you're not diabetic these are good and healthy. 

So I thought I'd start with any easy one I like to make in the crock pot. It's only a few ingredients and you just put it in and forget it.

Ingredients:

A couple of big jars of salsa.

I use mild because my wife isn't great with super spicy. 

I also add a can of diced tomatoes. 

All goes in the crock pot and cooks for 8 hrs on low or 4 on high.

And there you go. That's super easy, I use about 2 lbs of chicken so there's always leftovers for lunches and it's really well liked by even people not worried about sugar or carbs.

If people would like more of these I'll do more. If you have your own recipes let's see them. Any recommendations for stuff to sub in to replace problem ingredients? Post away. A lot of people suffer from this the American public is doused in sugar daily. So hopefully this can be some help.

Keep up the great postings all. I'm lucky enough to not have diabetes, but my wife has type 2, so working on finding ideas..

Dinners are something she is great at making and coming up with new ideas that both of us will enjoy. Breakfast has been a battle for her to find ideas for.

She's been eating eggs 7 days a week, but is going to give the oats a try :thumbup:

Keep up the great postings all. I'm lucky enough to not have diabetes, but my wife has type 2, so working on finding ideas..

Dinners are something she is great at making and coming up with new ideas that both of us will enjoy. Breakfast has been a battle for her to find ideas for.

She's been eating eggs 7 days a week, but is going to give the oats a try :thumbup:
Best wishes to you guys

I use monk fruit for sweetener. Lakanto is the brand I buy. They usually have it cheaper at Costco. It also has erythitrol. It is by far the best I have used with no weird aftertaste. I even use it to make simple syrup for fancy cocktails.

So been a little slack here but I am making this today and thought I'd post it for anyone struggling with left over ham.

1) 16oz package dried split peas remember to rinse to remove starch.

2) At least 2 cups cubed cooked ham

3) 1 large onion chopped

4) 1 cup of chopped or julienned carrots

5) 3 cloves of garlic minced

6) 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed

7) 1/2 tsp dried thyme

8) 32oz chicken broth

9) 2 cups of water

Now drop all that in your crockpot and cook for 8-10 hours on low.

Now I personally do it a couple hours on high and then finish it off with 4-5 hours on low. I usually add more meat and I  also I go a little lighter with the liquid as I like it a little thicker. If you are having trouble getting it to thicken pull out a cup of the finished soup blend until smooth then add it back in. 

For those doing a diet with food exchanges this is 2.5 starches, 2 lean meats. 

15 grams of fiber and 23 protein in a cup.

Users who are viewing this thread